Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FCC starts rewriting Internet rules

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Giles_de_Rais

Giles_de_Rais

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Tracking down and killing Internet flunkies.
Thursday, February 12, 2004 Posted: 5:05 PM EST (2205 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Regulators agreed Thursday to set rules for telephone calls made online, and for technology to allow computer users to reach the Internet through a household electric outlet.

The Federal Communications Commission said it would decide how to regulate calls made via high-speed Internet connections, which bypass at least part of the conventional phone network.

Among the issues to be discussed is whether such calls should be subject to the same fees as regular telephone service, such for 911 emergency services or bringing telephone service to poor and rural areas, schools and libraries. Also to be decided is whether these new services need to pay fees to local telephone companies to complete calls to conventional phones.

Separately, the FCC said it would later develop rules concerning law enforcement, such as making sure that the technology that allows Internet calls also allows investigators to tap and trace them.

The commission also voted to develop rules that would allow the power lines that bring electricity to homes and businesses to also deliver high-speed Internet connections.

Once a utility or a company it contracts with installs the necessary equipment, a computer user would only have to plug the machine into a special modem that plugs into a conventional electric outlet, according to Jay Birnbaum, vice president of Current Technologies, a company now testing such connections in the Washington suburbs.

Even as it develops rules governing Internet phone calls, the commission decided that one such service, Free World Dialup, was not subject to the same regulations as regular phones. Internet users can join Free World Dialup at no cost and make calls to each other without using the conventional phones. They use special numbers to route the calls rather than 10-digit phone numbers.
That element least expected is often the most welcome.

Stupidity is an STD, and whiners are the dirty whores spreading it.

One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her.' the other side of me says, 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?'
-- Edward Kemper

Giles_de_Rais

Giles_de_Rais

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Tracking down and killing Internet flunkies.

I read that earlier - voice messaging is driving phone companies out of business.

The FCC reminds Me of a retard constantly shoving their finger into a blender, until all that is left is a stump ... just because their deformed brain can actually feel -something- for once....
That element least expected is often the most welcome.

Stupidity is an STD, and whiners are the dirty whores spreading it.

One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her.' the other side of me says, 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?'
-- Edward Kemper

strange_quark

strange_quark

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I suspect that the people at the FCC must feel a bit like Alice, after stepping through the looking glass. This is a world that they have absolutely no understanding of, and I think some of them know it.

I mean, here you have a bunch of old guys mostly, who've spent their entire career regulating electronic communication. To them, this has always meant stuff like wired phones, radio waves, television, and so on. All of these old mediums have limited resources (if you want to broadcast on FM, you've got to get a spot between 88 and 108 Mhz, and there are only something like 100 of those spots available, at best, any any given area). This makes it relatively easy to control, and easy to think about controlling it. After 60+ years of regulating this, this is the only idea they understand.

Suddenly, people can communicate electronically, any any way they want. Connections get made and broken thousands of times a second, maybe never the same way twice. You can send anything you want this way, voice, video, whatever. You can even make ad-hoc wireless networks that span whole cities. There is no real way to touch these things, short of jamming them. These old guys don't know how to do anything but regulate, and so that's what they're trying to do. They've got absolutely no idea though that their battle has been lost, that they can't regulate this medium, without killing it. It's like an amputee victim feeling the ghost of their old limb, and trying to move it. They're frustrated and depressed when it doesn't work. Sometimes, that just makes them meaner.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the FCC declared obsolete and disbanded, except for a small skeleton crew to make sure emergency and other non-commercial-use airwaves are kept clear. It's the only humane thing to do. Besides... pirate radio would be infinitely better than what Clear Channel offers ;)
faster, faster, faster you run, but no matter how fast you run, you can never leave yourself behind... but there is something worthwhile in the struggle, something that may one day redefine the self

"Man is not so much a rational being, as a rationalizing being" - Robert Heinlein

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Mark Twain

ZinFeir

ZinFeir

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 34 posts
Theres this bit of software out, made by KaZaA that aloues you to call anyone on the world as long as you have a michrophone, Ill try to find the link so you all can download it and call Water. XD

Louie

Louie

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 97 posts
Well,

It's just a nother revlutionary tool. Phone companies need to just suck it up, and hop on the band wagon. Start their own new business. No since in slowing me down. I'll just not use them anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users