Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who is Van Helsing??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Nika_RedruM

Nika_RedruM

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Just wondering who the hell Van Helsing is. I think he was the man who killed off Vampires, but I"m not sure...probably wrong. Oh well :blink:
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the
floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted- nevermore!~E.A.Poe
Live long and Prosper......BiOtChEs!!

CoLdHeArTeDsOuL

CoLdHeArTeDsOuL

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:hmm...well...training/ showing horses, reading, writing, drawing, anime, singing, rping, chating, punk rock....etc....
ummm...I'm prtty sure Van Helsing was a cursed man that killed and destroied evil in general....anybody correct me if I'm wrong...= p
We make the dragons much like we make the gods and goddesses, because we need them, because somewhere deep in our hearts we recognize that a wrold without them is a world not living in. No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not like to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.

Wars take many lives away. humans never forget the grief, but they also never stop the fighting. streams of blood and tears are only an ornament for their destructive ritual.

He who fights with monsters shoutd look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes back.

On a tombstone:
Remeber man, as you walk by,
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so shall you be.
Remember this and follow me.
To which someone replied by writing on the tombstone:
to follow you, I'll not concent,
Until I know, which way you went.

Akylore

Akylore

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Metal, finishing my Astronomy degree, Singing in a metal band, Metal, Writing Graphic Novels, Playing "Vampire: The Masquerade" (Live Action LARP,) Metal, making fun of bad mainstream music, playing D&D, Metal, classical music, darkwave music, gothic aesthetics and ambience.....did I mention I sing in a metal band?.....Metal....
Van Helsing was the head doctor in Bram Stoker's classic 'Dracula.' He could be thought of as the 'leader' of sorts in the plan to overthrow Dracula since he was the one who dug up all the 'theology' and 'history' of Dracula's vampiric nature.

ghaash

ghaash

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 157 posts
wow man that was beautiful and cool

kat

kat

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:In a nutshell: <br>Music<br>Art<br>Photography<br>and the things that revolve around them.

Van Helsing was the head doctor in Bram Stoker's classic 'Dracula.' He could be thought of as the 'leader' of sorts in the plan to overthrow Dracula since he was the one who dug up all the 'theology' and 'history' of Dracula's vampiric nature.

Exactly, but... I'm not sure that Stoker created Van Helsing.

Van Helsing is a VERY popular character, and is not limited to appearing in tales of Dracula to kill off vampires.

Then again, it could be that Stoker created the character of Van Helsing, which was then incorporated into other ideas and plots.

Like I said, I'm not quite sure.

Akylore

Akylore

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Metal, finishing my Astronomy degree, Singing in a metal band, Metal, Writing Graphic Novels, Playing &quot;Vampire: The Masquerade&quot; (Live Action LARP,) Metal, making fun of bad mainstream music, playing D&amp;D, Metal, classical music, darkwave music, gothic aesthetics and ambience.....did I mention I sing in a metal band?.....Metal....
Hmmm...I honsetly couldn't say for sure either....but I do know that the Irish Mathematician Bram Stoker was the one who created Dracula and basically the whole concept of vampires, the story was inspired by the events of Vlad the Dracul (hence Dracula)
Being the geek that I am I have Dracula's castle and courtyard (my rendition, somewhat influenced by Hunedora Castle where Vlad ruled for a short time) tattooed all over my left arm, but that is another matter....
But anyways, Van Helsing (in the story Dracula) was a Dutch physician who 'supposedly' dug up all the facts about Dracula and Vampire anatomy and reactions (sunlight, crosses, garlic, don't invite a vampire into your house, all that superstitional stuff)
But I'm willing to bet since this book was written in 1897 (which was basically the origin of vampires, which basically spawned off all the vampire propoganda) that this is most likely where the name/character: 'Van Helsing' originated, but who knows, Kat's got a point, maybe 'Van Helsing' was based on a real-life character (as Vlad Dracul was to Dracula....)
Fuck I love Dracula, such a good book. I especially loved the parts (I gotta dig it up again, p.261 or something like that ion my hard-cover copy) that talked about how sorrow showed how much the victims valued each other....I'll grab it later....
I am such a geek....

kat

kat

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:In a nutshell: <br>Music<br>Art<br>Photography<br>and the things that revolve around them.

But I'm willing to bet since this book was written in 1897 (which was basically the origin of vampires, which basically spawned off all the vampire propoganda) that this is most likely where the name/character: 'Van Helsing' originated, but who knows, Kat's got a point, maybe 'Van Helsing' was based on a real-life character (as Vlad Dracul was to Dracula....)

Dracula was by no means the origin of vampire lore... Vampires, however diverse, have been around far longer than anyone can speculate. So many different cultures, from European, Indian (NOT Native American), to the Oriental, all have their myths and legends of the vampire.

True, Stoker certainly helped the popularity of vampires by giving everyone a solid image of the vampire with his book, and indirectly, the movie which spawned from it.

But Bram Stoker is nowhere even remotely near the origin of vampires. Before he'd written his book, I'm sure that had you asked 10 people what a vampire was, at least 9, if not all 10, would be able to tell you.

He is, however, a very talented writer, and I'm glad to see Dracula being recognized in today's society as a classic.

ghaash

ghaash

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 157 posts
wow you guys really hit it on the head on this one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users