Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wicca

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My Interests include: The Thirst, Death, Guitars.<br>(well the thirst isn't one of my interests it's something I have, Alot latley)
I just recieved the wicca handbook yesterday and don't really understand all of it. so I figured I would ask for advice on how to use it.
-Viktor (elder vampire)

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Body art/Modification.<br>Reading.<br>Being a [Helper] on Aardwolf MUD.<br>Ranting.<br>Skittles.
We meet again..(Don't worry, I'm not stalking you)
Even though I am a Strega (As in Stregheria, Italian Witchcraft) I have studied Wicca extensively.Um, I guess it depends on what sort of a hand book it is....What does it contain and who wrote it? Need more info....

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My Interests include: The Thirst, Death, Guitars.<br>(well the thirst isn't one of my interests it's something I have, Alot latley)
Eileen Holand wrote it and it contains:creativity, fertility, health and healing, law and justice, love, magic, money and business, protection, psychic work, sex magic, and wisdom. It also has the cardinal points, the Lords of the watch towers, the heavenly bodies, animal kingdom, colors, metals, rocks and gemstones, letters, and numbers.
-Viktor (elder vampire)

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Body art/Modification.<br>Reading.<br>Being a [Helper] on Aardwolf MUD.<br>Ranting.<br>Skittles.
Shouldn't the book tell you how to use it?

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
Thats a good point Water.Haha, Well, you really should learn about the religion before you try to use it.Remember, it's not something to be toyed with.

strange_quark

strange_quark

The Enigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

To reiterate - magic is not and has never been a toy for the unskilled to play with.

Heh. I'm picturing a mandatory government label on all occult books sold in the US:

"The surgeon general has determined that the use of magic, particularly by the uninitiated, can lead to property damage, bodily injury, or even death to the practitioner or spectators. Additionally, individuals who are pregnant or who have a heart condition are discouraged from partaking in occult activities. The United States government does not support or obstruct the use of magic in a properly controlled environment, however it does urge caution and proper training. This message brought to you by the US Department of Thaumaturgical Regulation."

Well, I know this will piss a lot of people off, but I'm with "The Amazing Randy" on this one. Until I have somebody prove to me an irrefutable case of magic existing (i.e. with scientific measuring equipment present and functioning, and physicists and chemists on hand to observe) I will harbor extreme doubts towards any claims of magic. The same as I do towards any supernatural claim, including the existance of god.
faster, faster, faster you run, but no matter how fast you run, you can never leave yourself behind... but there is something worthwhile in the struggle, something that may one day redefine the self

"Man is not so much a rational being, as a rationalizing being" - Robert Heinlein

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Mark Twain

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts
According to what I've been Reading, Strange_quark, It seems you have no beliefs what so ever. That puts me to wonder, Why do you think you exist? I mean If you don't believe in god or magic or black magic or something whats the point in life? How do you explain mother earth? How was she created? you tell me Mr. SMART ASS!!!!!!!

Water thanks for your advice. I know not to take it lightly but wicca feels right for me. And SPyKE the book does and doesn't tell me how to use it. It has parts that cunfuse me a little. Thank you SPyKE and Water for trying to help.
-Viktor (elder vampire) :D

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
Well, if you feel like it, send me the parts that you don't understand, and I will try to explain them more clearly.Some books can be the damndest things to try to understand.

strange_quark

strange_quark

The Enigma

• Members
  • 220 posts

According to what I've been Reading, Strange_quark, It seems you have no beliefs what so ever. That puts me to wonder, Why do you think you exist? I mean If you don't believe in god or magic or black magic or something whats the point in life? How do you explain mother earth? How was she created? you tell me Mr. SMART ASS!!!!!!!

Wow. No need to get so hostile. I certainly wasn't attacking you, and there's no need for you to attack me either. I was simply stating what I felt. As far as the surgeon general warning, that was meant to be amusing, I didn't figure it was something that anybody could even remotely be offended by.

I'm not saying that supernatural events/phenomena aren't possible, I'm just saying that until I see solid proof of things, I tend not to believe in them. If I told you that I could walk on water, you would call bullshit on me. Same thing with the bible. I never saw Jesus walk on water, and never saw Moses part the Red Sea. As far as I'm concerned, these events coult have been massive exagerations of actual events, or they could have possibly been real, but without any real proof, I have no good reasons to believe that they literally happened. Just because there is a book that describes fantastic things, no matter how old and revered the book is, that in and of itself is no reason to take the book's claims for truth.

Again, I'm not saying these things are mere fantasy, or that they are impossible, simply that there is no real proof that I've ever seen, so I'll withhold my final judgement until I see proof.

As far as why we exist, and what life means... do we need a reason to exist? Does life have to have a meaning? Personally, I think life means whatever you make of it. I think (at least for me) the point of life is to experience things, and help to make the world a better place for everyone. I believe this not because god or satan or buddha or anyone else told me so, but because I think that's what makes the most sense.

I personally think that everything can be explained with science, and when we encounter new things that we don't understand, we will develop the science to understand it. That's what science is, our understanding of the way the natural world around us works.

There's an old saying that I really like: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The corrollary is that with the proper science and understanding, what seems like magic today will ultimately just be tomorrow's technology.
faster, faster, faster you run, but no matter how fast you run, you can never leave yourself behind... but there is something worthwhile in the struggle, something that may one day redefine the self

"Man is not so much a rational being, as a rationalizing being" - Robert Heinlein

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
I'm just wondering how much the Wiccan magic is different from the practical application of psychology.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

Well, I know this will piss a lot of people off, but I'm with "The Amazing Randy" on this one. Until I have somebody prove to me an irrefutable case of magic existing (i.e. with scientific measuring equipment present and functioning, and physicists and chemists on hand to observe) I will harbor extreme doubts towards any claims of magic. The same as I do towards any supernatural claim, including the existance of god.

This is a point that people often bring up in discussions about the existence of 'magic' or 'higher beings'. However, I must make one important point against this. (No, I'm not arguing for or against the existence of these things. I'm just going to point out a very important part of science).

If you ask the question "Why?" enough times to anything, you will always at some point get to something unexplained. What science does is ask that very question over and over again to get a clearer understanding of things.

For example...

"Why can I push my hand through water, but not through ice?"

Water is a liquid, while ice is a solid.

"Why does that mean I can push my hand through water and not ice?"

Liquids have definite volume, but do not have definite shape, so when you push your hand into a liquid, the liquid can move around your hand since its shape is not definite. A solid has a definite shape, which is why you can't push your hand through it.

"Why do liquids not have a definite shape?"

The molecules in liquids are moving around faster in a liquid than they are in a solid, when they speed up, all the bumping back in forth between the molecules makes for greater space between them and lets them flow wherever there is room for them to flow, and not be stuck in one shape.

"Why are the molecules in a liquid moving faster than those in a solid?"

After a solid has reached its melting temperature, it is at a higher rate of energy as a liquid than it was as a solid.

"Why do molecules have more energy as heat increases?"

Heat is a form of energy and passes that energy on to the molecules it encounters.

"Why does energy create movement in the molecules?"

If you keep asking questions like this, you will eventually come to the unexplained, and land on the answer of 'magic' or 'God' or even 'Aliens'.

It's because of this fact that science is based on theories, because nothing can ever be proven 100% for certain in science. It's also because of this that there never will really be any hard evidence that magic exists, especially because it can exist on a level so small that we don't have the ability to understand or define it yet.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

BleedingWolf

BleedingWolf

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Why waste my time with something no ones going to read? Exactly.
Eh, I used to be into wicca, and did everything.. I've never got a single thing out of it. Figured out it was all a bunch of poo. Other people have had great shots with it. It all depends on the individual i suppose. I believe in the power that humans have to create life, or destroy what we have.

strange_quark

strange_quark

The Enigma

• Members
  • 220 posts

It's because of this fact that science is based on theories, because nothing can ever be proven 100% for certain in science. It's also because of this that there never will really be any hard evidence that magic exists, especially because it can exist on a level so small that we don't have the ability to understand or define it yet.

You are absolutely correct. This is one of the many reasons that so many scientists throughout the world are themselves religious. Probably the biggest example of the argument you put forth is the big bang. Scientists always talk about the big bang being the start of everything (and the big crunch being the presumable end of everything some several billion years into the future, if indeed the universe will start contracting someday). The thing people point out is that the big bang itself leaves more questions than answers. Where did all that super-dense energy come from? Why are the laws of the universe the way they are? What was there before the big bang? And so on.

I certainly didn't mean to argue that there are no mysteries in the world, or that religion is a bankrupt concept. I don't (personally) believe in very many things that I can't somehow verify, however I also allow for the possibility that a great many things in which I don't currently believe in might very well be true, and I am happy to explore those beliefs or non-beliefs. Further, I certainly have no problem with other people believing whatever they like, so long as it doesn't cause them to hurt other people directly. I alternate between admiring people with a strong faith and conviction in their religion, and being frustrated with them when it causes them to act in ways that seem irrational to me. I grew up quite religious myself, but at some point I felt that a lot of what I had been taught, while admirable, was lacking any serious proof (and in many cases self-contradictory). After years and years of internal debate (and talking with others, both religious and non-religious), I've arrived at my current point of only believing in that which I can truly verify. Everything else, I find interesting and thought provoking, but I stop short of fully believing it.

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts

Well, if you feel like it, send me the parts that you don't understand, and I will try to explain them more clearly.Some books can be the damndest things to try to understand.

I don't really understand the correspondences for magic. Is there a certain time that you can use a spell, or can you use one any time you like,
and when it has a spell and has what you need (what gods to invoke, what animals, )It has plants, but doesn,t say wether to burn them or what, that confuses me because I don't want to screw the spell up (just incase It might go wrong)that's what I'm having a hard time with now.
-Viktor (elder vampire) :ph34r:

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
Certain times are better for spells than others, such as days of the week, moon phases and times of the day/night.Do some reseach on that.
Just think of the correspondances as ingrediants.Do some reasearch on the Gods and Goddesses.Like if you want to do a love spell, you might want to get Aphrodities help on that.Each God and Goddess has a particular symbolism.

Using the elements with herbs is a good thing.Find out the symbolism of the elements, and use that according to what you want.Like is you ar doing a love spell (I don't like lovespells, just using them as an example)you could burn them, fire being connected with passion and stuff.
If something feels right for you, do it that way.There is no definite set way to do something.It's important that you feel what you are doing, and that you like what you feel.I think you need to do some more reaserch at the library or on the net before you go attemping anything.If you look hard enough, you will find what you need to know.The search for knowledge might not be easy, but it is very important.

Wicca (witchcraft in general) is not all about spells and stuff.The ability to do a successful spell is a gift from the Gods, not a reason for becoming a witch.If you are truly serious about this, you should first consider establishing a link to a God or a Goddess, and get to know them.(Yeah, more research)If you worship the God and Goddess, they might show you the way, and grant you these gifts.You need their favour if you are to be successful in getting what you need through the use of spells, divining that sort of thing.
I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm only advising.

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts
thanks Water And SPyKE :)

soulsrchr

soulsrchr

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Currently... <br>Working part-time retail...<br>Getting my life together...
Okay... I've just hopped into this thread (not being on in a while) and I'm seeing a lot of what the people are saying... (Water and Spyke esp.) and yes... much of it true... but two points are missing...
You can't just hop into witchcraft or Wicca like a fad...
Be careful with what you do because it will have repercussions...

Your post subline asked "Who's into it?".... Wicca is not something you just "get into" and I hope not to offend anyone but this is how MANY people I know feel about what I choose to do and I want to help to set it correct. While you may have picked up a book on Wicca because you see it as a fad I hope that if you decide to practice it... you'll proceed with caution...

Wicca is a religion. It is a way of thought... a way to believe... just like Christianity and Buddhism and Judaism. It is not how to cast spells... it just ties into it. Witchcraft is the casting of spells and the like but it can use Wicca as a backbone.
I know Wiccans that don't cast spells
I know Witches that don't practice Wicca
I know Wiccans that are witches and vice versa

Wicca is about energies, feelings, and nature. Mostly... the key to Wicca is that you never stop learning. I've been researching Wicca as a religion since I was 14 (I'm 20) and still don't know half of what I feel I need to know. In the 6 years that I have been studying I have only once attempted a spell... and it didn't go how I wanted it to.... I had thoughts and wishes before I tried it of what I "wanted" to occur and unfortunately it came out with the truth.. not what I wanted to hear. Wicca changes... what you used 20 years ago as spell components is not the same as things you could use today... It's only a representational aid in the first place.... Spells can be created or "winged" on the spur of the moment.... Wicca teaches you that in order for something to happen you must want it to happen... one of the best instances is when my sister was really... REALLY sick... she had been taking medicine for about a week and a half and wasn't getting better... she had been sick for weeks and just getting worse... I peeled back the label to her medicine and wrote the rune for health/healing on the bottle and taped it back up... she got better within the next 2 days.... I don't know if it was me... but I'd like to think it was... the energy I put into her medicine... my WILL for her to get better is what I believe helped her... can I prove it... no... and I won't ever be able to either... but she's better and that's all that matters to me...

One big rule in Wicca is "Ever mind the rule of three... what you give out comes back to thee" and while I might not be quoting it exactly the meaning is what matters... just as everything in Wicca does... what you say doesn't have as much effect as how you feel about doing it and if you do something... anything... whether it be with good intent or bad it will come back to you... you will feel the negative or positive effects although possibly not right away...

I don't mean to sound preachy or offend anyone.... but if you're going to mess wih things it's best to know what you're doing... this thread was the first step Viktor! Awesome step... you didn't understand so you asked... that's THE BEST move you can make.... Curiosity didn't kill the cat... Ignorance did...it was the fact that once they found out.. they proceeded without caution... without regard... without knowledge... good luck with what you want to do with your book... Learn Wicca or learn Witchcraft... and if you have any more questions that weren't answered... just ask... I'm always up to talk about religion ;)

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
Well, it's nice to see that people actually know what they are talking about on here.Great work people!

Viktor

Viktor

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 54 posts
I havn't tried any spells yet and don't really intend to (unless I really have to)but thanks soulsrchr If I need any help I'll ask.

Louie

Louie

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 97 posts
You'd be suprised at the power a gullible mind.

(Dont take offense. I used to be into it...Lets just say I 'woke up' In other words, I got off the drugs.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users