Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Korean Hostage Beheaded

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Integra

Integra

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Hmmm.... I don't know what to say other than I won't say anything. If you truly care to know.... Just ask away.
I know many have already seen/heard this on the news, but for those who haven't by some chance.... Another price for countries to pay if they're over in Iraq for whatever purpose they have.

Pentagon: South Korean hostage beheaded
Seoul reaffirms plans to send more troops to Iraq
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 Posted: 4:58 PM EDT (2058 GMT)

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- Iraqi insurgents have carried out their threat to behead the South Korean civilian they were holding hostage, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

Military officials said U.S. military police found the body west of Baghdad and notified the South Korean military, which in turn notified the South Korean Embassy in Baghdad.

A senior coalition official in Iraq said the body appeared to have been thrown from a vehicle. "The man had been beheaded, and the head was recovered with the body," the official said. Pentagon sources said the body had been booby-trapped with explosives.

"It breaks our heart that we have to announce this unfortunate news. A body identified to be of an Asian man was found between Baghdad and Fallujah," said South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman Shin Bong-kil in Seoul.

"Afterwards, the photo of the body was e-mailed to the South Korean Embassy and was confirmed to be the body of Kim Sun-il."

In a video broadcast Sunday, the insurgents had given South Korea 24 hours to cancel plans to send 3,000 additional troops to Iraq, threatening to behead Kim if it did not.

The South Korean government reaffirmed the deployment plans Tuesday but urged businesses with civilians in Iraq to remove them.

South Korea plans to send 3,000 troops to Erbil in northern Iraq. Military officials say about half are combat troops trained to protect the rest, who are to help rebuild Iraq, distribute aid and train security forces.

About 670 South Korean military medics and engineers in southern Iraq since May last year will move to Erbil to join the main force, which Seoul sees as a difficult but vital gesture to the United States, an ally with 37,500 troops in the South as a deterrent to North Korea.

Once the troops are in place, South Korea will be the largest coalition partner in Iraq after the United States and Britain. (Full story)

Kim, 33, was seized Thursday in Fallujah, west of Baghdad. He was an Arabic speaker and evangelical Christian who had worked in Iraq for a year as a translator for a South Korean firm supplying goods to the U.S. military.

The Arabic-language television network Al-Jazeera broadcast a video showing armed and masked insurgents standing behind Kim, who was kneeling on the floor. The video was similar to the first portion of one it broadcast earlier this year that showed the beheading of American businessman Nicholas Berg.

"To the South Korean citizens: We warned you," one of the militants said in the video broadcast Tuesday. "This is the result of your own doings. Enough lies, or cheatings. Your soldiers here are not for the sake for the Iraqis, but they are here for the cursed America."

Al-Jazeera did not broadcast video of Kim's killing.

Kim, Berg and Paul Johnson -- killed last week by his captors in Saudi Arabia -- were all shown in videos wearing orange jumpsuits similar to those worn by prison inmates in the United States.

In the video broadcast Sunday, Kim cried in English, "Please get out of here. I don't want to die. ... Your life is important, but my life is important."

Han Sung-joo, the South Korean ambassador to the United States, said Kim's death was "a very deplorable event," and he took issue with the militants' claims that the Koreans were not helping the Iraqis.

"They are not correct," Han said. "We are trying to help the Iraqis. ... The Iraqis like us, and they appreciate our role there."

President Bush also condemned the killing.

"The free world cannot be intimidated by the brutal actions of these barbaric people," he said.

Secretary of State Colin Powell said Kim was "an innocent man there to help the people of Iraq. We condemn such acts of terrorism against civilians who are there to build a peaceful and democratic Iraq."

Seoul appealed for Kim's life

Shin said South Korea had been trying to establish contact with as many countries and organizations as possible that could help win Kim's release.

He declined to comment on whether South Korea had direct contact with the kidnappers.

South Korean government officials gave numerous interviews to Arab media appealing for Kim's release, Shin said.

"President Roh [Moo-hyun] instructed related ministries to explain to the Iraqi people that our government is sending troops to Iraq to focus on reconstruction efforts there without engaging in hostile acts there," presidential spokesman Yoon Tai-young told reporters before the death was announced.

Vice Foreign Minister Choi Young-jin told reporters in Seoul, "There is no change in the government's spirit and position that it will send troops to Iraq to help establish peace and rebuild Iraq."

CNN's Sohn Jie-ae in Seoul contributed to this report.

BleedingWolf

BleedingWolf

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Why waste my time with something no ones going to read? Exactly.
Ok. i dont know about you. But when someone says "beheading' i think of someone taking an axe.. and just chopping it off. What i heard they did (From my grandfather... which hasnt been wrong yet) They take a little knife, and slit the throat, then dig around on the sides of the neck for a while, then they dig around and look for the vertebre and snap it. You know how painful that would be? Id just want to die anyways. I mean.. ugh.. *sigh* poor guy. I dont know if i could kill someone who could plead and beg to not die. As much as i hate people, i couldnt do it.

Integra

Integra

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Hmmm.... I don't know what to say other than I won't say anything. If you truly care to know.... Just ask away.
I know its not really a beheading. Just the headline the media gave it. *shrugs* I tend to think of the same thing when hearing beheading. Thats just more of a torture device. I take it they did it the same way they did for the first American that got killed (hostage that we know of). Someone found the site that had the killing on video file and watched it. They just sawed off his head very slowly with a dull knife. Took them half an hour before finally dying. Now thats just sick.

BleedingWolf

BleedingWolf

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Why waste my time with something no ones going to read? Exactly.
True. I feel sorry for the poor guy. I would imagine it would make you wish for death to come quickly so they would stop the hidious torture. I dont understand what prompts a person to do such punishment to an innocent person. It makes no sense, i dont understand alot of things in this world... but this confuses me the most.

Integra

Integra

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 137 posts
Scare tactic. Thats all it is. No one really wants to see anyone die for something thats not worth the cause, and expect the government to bend back for the terrorists ways and do what they want. Sad thing is they're repeating what Saddam did when he was dictator. Unless I have my history or source of information incorrect, did Saddam kill civilians, including Americans for no apparant reason? Even after and before the Gulf War? I could be wrong.

Mattom

Mattom

I know this because Mattom knows this.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
I don't have an opinnion on this issue.
I love mankind, it's people I can't stand.
[URL]YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAR

[URL=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/]user posted image

cursedwatcher

cursedwatcher

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:death,paranormal,genetics,evolution...
Everything is possible in war they weren't innocent in real because they were supporting the iraqi people's enemies and iraqi people must cut those ways because of they killed them.Yes i agree its a so bad death and iraqi "terrorist" (in ur opinion) we say them "mücahit" (freedom fighters or volunteer soldiers) musn't kill them like that because its forbidden in islam religion but war changes a person to an animal.So isn't any american wrong or can't we say american soldiers are not terrorist!!! Think a moment.American soldiers attacked to Iraq.Can u connect it to GLOBAL PEACE and DEMOCRACY.I don't think so.Am i wrong.Isn't americans killing innocent iraqi people.They are.We see them on videos,newspaers,pictures or something else.U must understand that that's war and innocent people can die in war everytime.Finally we will see this scenes again in MIDDLE EAST after years because if u look at world's history we saw this scenes in past.
i wanna look at ur eyes when u dyin...

Kross

Kross

Roleplay Moderator

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:pizza, capt morrigan spiced rum... pizza... yea
people call ir war, but its nothing but little children with weapons wanting power. Thats all that these countries are. even the wars in the past have all been over the most pathetic issues ever. all the so called "Wars" have not been real wars. look at he bombing on japan and everything. that happened because the us sailed there demanding the open the coast and demanded a signing of a peace treaty with the US. they refused, so the US went back with an entire fleet of ships and opened fire into several of Japans harbours. 3/4 of wars/fights ect ect are started by the US because most of there presidents have been greddy bastards wanting power and to rule over others. now im not saying they are 100% at fault. nobody else is innocent in these matters. but all it is is little childish retards wanting to have more and more power, and to rule over everyone else. This my friends..is the beauty and morality of mankind in all its wonder and glory. Mankind is full of monstrous atrocities with nothing more than the will to destroy. Whatever the reasonings, we have been given this world, this beautiful world to live on. given everything we need to survive, but thats not enough. we continue to drain this world of its life, use it, abuse it, and continue to detroy it in the name of "Peace and Unity" one way or another, nobody in existence is innocent. deep inside us all we know its true, and we know that no matter what we do, we are only killing ourselves. now whether that guy did or did not deserve to die abviously shouldnt be in the hands of those people, but it happened. this is what Humanity is in its true form..monsters.
"I don't look for trouble, but if it comes, I hide from it. Damn right, pretty boy. You may call me chicken, but I've known a lot of Kindred over the years who got smart just a few seconds too late. It's not like we can't die, it's just that it don't come natural any more." - Nosferatu

SomethingNormal

SomethingNormal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 78 posts
I'm tired of the whole thing. It's just old.

The Iraqi people have every right to want the Americans out. They have to kill because it is their last resort. They don't want to be another American colony, so they fight, in Falluja, Najaf, where ever.

What do the common Americans see? We're in a media bubble here. We see angry foreign people who speak strange languages, have no uniforms, and Russian assault rifles. We see Mr. Shithead on TV talking about the "free world" not being "intimidated" by "evil-doers" and "freedom-haters." The American "Peoples" (That's in quotes, because the only people behind Bush are profiteers, and the illinformed, not every american person) are there to "help" the Iraqis be "free."

Saddam was a bad guy, doubtless. Even before we started colonizing Iraq, I heard on public radio (One of the few sources of news from outside the bubble) an Iraqi layman say, "We want Saddam out! We welcome the Americans, to get rid of him, and his army, but what then? We are all afraid of what the Americans will do afterwards!"

No matter where you go in the world, the people are all human, and humans are all invariably the same. They react the same way any country would react to the bully of the world coming to their streets. If I saw any tanks rolling down my street here, I'd be angry, scared, and feeling hopeless and helpless. It is no different there. But the media here portrays the Iraqis as those angry, strange speaking, plain-clothes people. Scary looking, aren't they?

The saddest thing about the middle-east is how the children are brainwashed to think that God Allah wants them to blow themselves apart to kill infidels.

The luckiest thing about the americas is how the children don't have to be - yet. Brainwashing still occurs, not in the sense that they hook you to giant machines and make you a robot, but in the sense that our media is so super selective, and often misleading about what they show. I see on Nickelodeon this thing called, "Kids Pick the President" where they show some of the issues the electorate must decide on. Nickelodeon is owned by Viacom. Viacom refuses to show anything that may be damaging to the Republican Party, and President Bush, or pro-opposition to said party and president.

If the Americans had people to fight on their own turf, and a lack of a millitary to fight them, then the children would be praised for fighting, just as much as Palestinian children are, by their parents and elders.

People are no different anywhere in the world, and it is naive for people to think that the Iraqis are fighting American soldiers for unjust reasons. They are fighting Manifest Destiny II. Hostage taking, and killing, however, is a disgrace.

I will say no more of it... I'm sorry for dragging on so long. I'm a pacifist, so I have a lot to say about war, and the things happening behind the fronts.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our media bubble.

Edited by SomethingNormal, 23 August 2004 - 07:23 PM.

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
"Cause I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna watch it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
suck it down.
flush it down."

~Maynard J Keenan

...two words: neutron detonators...

Edited by Enki Anunaki, 24 August 2004 - 05:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users