Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
What are your fave books? What types of books? Authors? What's the last book you read? are currently reading? What do you think of them? would you recomend them to others? etc.. Or do you think all books should be burned?

I myself prefer the horror and sci fi genres. My fave authors include Stephen King, Bentley Little, Terry Brooks, some Crichton, some John Saul, Peter Straub, a couple of Dean Koontz's books, and some others. Classics include Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. Of course, there are books that I have read and now can't think of the title to. Or the author for that matter.

I actually prefer reading to watchin tv, for the most part. I am currently reading Bentley Little's The Ignored. Its pretty good.
Before that I read Michael Crichton's Congo. It was much better than the movie. In fact, the book is almost always better than the movie, no matter who the author. Jurasic Park, The Lost World to name some of Crichton's.

Before that I had reread Stephen King's The Stand. Excellent book. Definately recomend to others, as long as you don't mind a thick book. The paperback uncut edition is over a thousand pages long. Again, a case of the book is better then the movie, tho the movie version of The Stand was actually pretty good in my opinion.

Books I recomend: Any Stephen King, other than Danse Macabre(kinda boring to me), and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon( i just didn't really like that one...I may have to reread it to be sure). I've not read his On Writing. Mostly because I don't want to be a writer.

Bentley Little's Dominion, The Walking, The Association or University(that one was really good.)

Terry Brooks I would recommend Magic Kingdom: For Sale/Sold and its following books, and the Shannara books. And Running with the Demon, Angel Fire East, and I forgot the name of the third of those three books. Maybe I'll remember later.

Ok, I think that's all for now. :)
opticallusion13@yahoo.com
SSDD
Courage is being the only one who knows that you are scared to death
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
Fiction:
1 Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
2 Watership Down - Richard Adams
3 LOTR (including the hobbit) - J.R.R. Tolkein
4 Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
5 The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe - Poe ;)

Non-Fiction
1 A brief history of Western Civilization - Forgotten & I've loaned the book out.
2 Myth's from Mesopotamia - Stephanie Dalley (translator)
3 A dictionary of Angels (including fallen angels) - Gustav Davidson
4 The Bible - God?
5 The Dark Side of Christian History - Helen Ellerbe

The Last 10 I've read (all in 2004!)
Code of Canon Law (currently reading, it's at work and I don't remember the editor) [Catholicism rocks!]
2 Desire, Discord, and Death - Neal walls
(http://www.asor.org/pubs/new.html)
3 Devils and Evil Spirits of Babylonia - Thompson (translator)
4 The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria - Morris Jastrow Ph.D
http://www.cwru.edu/univlib/preserve/Etana...L/JAST.REL.html
5 Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
6 A dictionary of Angels (including fallen angels) - Gustav Davidson
7 The Seven Tablets of Creation (volume I & II) - L. W. King (Editor)
8 Lectures on the origin and growth of religion as illustrated by the religion of the ancient Babylonians. - A. H. Sayce
http://www.cwru.edu/univlib/preserve/Etana...tures_1887.html
9 A short History of Western Civilization (volumes I & II) - Harrison/Sullivan/Sherman (started volume I in December 2003)
0 LOTR (including the hobbit) - J.R.R. Tolkein (second time...started the hobbit in November 2003)

I canceled cable two years ago...I never watched it. I was/am always either on line or reading a book. I'd really have to say that my favorite types of books are text books and/or history (text books on history?)...though I've never gone to collage. I love reading about Sumeria/Babylonia and the mythos revolving around the ancient middle east.

Q

QoIMar

QoIMar

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
Favourite books:
*Der Zauberberg (Thomas Mann)
*Das Parfum (Patrick Süskind)
*Wilt (Tom Sharpe)
*Junky (William Burroughs)
*Het verboden Rijk (Jan Slauerhoff)The Forbidden Empire

The last books I read were "Nina Hagen: That's why the lady is a punk"
and Ernst Jünger's "Politische Publizistik". Right now I'm reading "Atheïstisch Manifest" by Herman Philipse and "The Queen and I" by Sue Townsend.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have hands to kiss and babies to shake

Charles L. Charles

user posted image

Kross

Kross

Roleplay Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:pizza, capt morrigan spiced rum... pizza... yea
im a fantasy person, any book by tracy hickman/margaret weis i've probably read them, especially dragon lance. but my favorite books ever would have to be the "Wheel of Time" books, they are awsome
"I don't look for trouble, but if it comes, I hide from it. Damn right, pretty boy. You may call me chicken, but I've known a lot of Kindred over the years who got smart just a few seconds too late. It's not like we can't die, it's just that it don't come natural any more." - Nosferatu

Ryver

Ryver

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:I am continually interusted in anything awesome. Need I say more!? Didn't think so.
Im a big Neil Gaiman fan. I LOVED his book "neverwhere"

ROCKED!

Anyways other than that...
A tree grows in brooklyn - by who knows. the books so old the names rubbed off
the zanth series ( 27 books long and counting)- by pierce Anthony
Take me home.... Im delicious!!

Ryver

Ryver

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:I am continually interusted in anything awesome. Need I say more!? Didn't think so.
Oh... and Im a sucker for those horribly writen romance novels....

Anything with quivering manhood gets to my girly side *giggles*

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
lol..quivering manhood...i used to read those books...ne way, yeah, piers anthony is good..my mom has quite the collection going for me..many of the other books mentioned so far i've not even heard of, much less read, but i'll have to take the time to look some of'm up soon. I thought of another of my all time fave books...A Wrinkle in Time...I forget the author tho. I've loved that book since i was little. The Narnia books are good also. I had another to add to the list, but now i've forgotton..oh well, i'll remember later and add it...oh yeah, and i've finished the Bentley Little book, The Ignored...its not too bad. I still prefer some of the others tho. I'm now reading The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. I"m having a bit of trouble gettin into it, but i'm hoping it picks up soon.

[/QUOTE]SSDD

[QUOTE]Courage is being the only one who knows that you are scared to death.

opticallusion13@yahoo.com

Posted Image

jwfrogem

jwfrogem

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:pizza tuesdays girls
Orwell i would say is my favorite author many people dont realize that there is more to him then 1984 and Animal farm. He has a great way of using things like razor blades and bread things people take advantage of, and making them seem like priceless elements people need to live, i have all of his novels and read all but 2 of them and am going to get to them soon but....i got caught up in anne rice and have to catch up on the "vampire chronicles" i never really like vampire stuff until i read "mamonach the devil" and now i 'have' to read the whole series.
somtimes you feel like a nut somtimes you dont...-STM-

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
The only one of the vampire chronicles that I have read was Queen of the Damned...but that's because i'm broke, and the local library is tiny...i'll get to them sooner or later. Oh, and I'm not any farther on that "House Next Door" book that I mentioned before...its really hard to get into....*shrug* oh well..some books are like that...

Posted Image

misery

misery

Loves Company

• Members
  • 171 posts
I'll read just about anything. I'm a big book nerd. Crime novels are my favorite though. Like Anne Rule.
I also like Amelia-Atwater Rhodes, she's been refered to as a young Anne Rice.

Mattom

Mattom

I know this because Mattom knows this.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
RYVER!!! I love Neil Gaiman too!!!!!

Fave books:

1. The Satanic verses - Salman Rushdie
2. Othello - William Shakespeare
3. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
4. American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
5. Shanghai Baby - Wei Hui

Last Book read:

Some shorts stores By Charles Bukowski and others by Neil Gaiman
I love mankind, it's people I can't stand.
[URL]YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAR

[URL=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/]user posted image

Ryver

Ryver

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 139 posts
NO WAY THAT ROCKS MATTOM! hehe I think I love you!

And if anyone wants to read a good ann Rice book. Read her "Sleeping beauty series" The first ones called "the claming of sleeping beauty"
A littel racy... but Racy never hurt any one! :P

Edited by Ryver, 23 July 2004 - 02:08 AM.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
Hmmm, for books...

Well, the complete work of Terry Pratchett (discworld and other)
Neil Gaiman: Sandman, American gods, Neverwhere, Smoke and Mirrors
I stumbled on the complete bundled works of William Shakespeare.

Crime novels: Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö with the series about Martin Beck.

And as a final prize: The Pythons, Autobiography by the Pythons. (Massive book)
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
Uhmmm, I wouldn't know what to say Ryver.... I am not really into Anne Rice, but thanx for the tip, now I know what to recommend my friends who do like her.

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Uhmmm, I wouldn't know what to say Ryver.... I am not really into Anne Rice, but thanx for the tip, now I know what to recommend my friends who do like her.

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
I've got another of my fave authors...Ray Bradburry...Something Wicked This Way Comes/Dark Carnival are two of my absolute faves...I don't know how they could have slipped from my memory before...and the movie of Something Wicked This Way Comes, with Jason Robard(i think that's his name...) is cool...i've loved that movie since i was a small child.

Posted Image

jwfrogem

jwfrogem

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:pizza tuesdays girls
hell yes, bradburry is a stud, he can write in so many different ways, somthing wicked this way comes is great, and farenheight*(cant spell)451 was pretty amazing too... i never did get too see 'ray bradbury theatre' though, and i heard it was great
somtimes you feel like a nut somtimes you dont...-STM-

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
Well, i seem to have another stack of books that i don't want to call litterature, but more something like a manual.

Vitruvius: handbook for the builder (ancient roman, translated)

The notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci (part 1, part 2 coming soon)

Francis D.K. Ching: Architectural graphics; Architecture, Form Space and Order.

And last but not least: Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

insidechilde

insidechilde

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:music....punk, industrial, goth, metal, eclectica, classical, folk, jazz, reggae...anything but top40 really<br><br>anarchism, human rights, environmental issues, folklore, mythology, paganism, reiki, semi precious stones, my animals
So many books, so little time, hehe

Necronanda, I'm with you on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, he's an author that makes me laugh out loud as I read..my fave is probably "Wyrd Sisters"

Other favourites (in no particular order of preference, I enjoy them all)

Peter Carey 'Bliss'
Jeanette Winterson 'Art and Lies' and 'The Passion'
Roald Dahl... any of his adult fiction but especially his short stories, his sense of the macbre is just brilliant
Tom Wolfe ' The Electirc Kool-Aid Acid Test'
Tom Robbins ' Still life with Woodpecker'
Thea Astley 'Hunting the Wild Pineapple' and 'It's Raining in Mango'
Doris Lessing 'Shikasta' and 'The Good Terrorist'
Ken Kesey 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'

non-fiction faves:

Noam Chomsky 'Towards a New Cold War' (collection of essays on the new 'globalism')

Doris Lessing 'The Wind Blows Away our Words' (a journalistic account of the war in Afghanistan with USSR in the eighties, a good foundation for understanding current times in context)

'The Silken Web' - a natural history of spiders

ok...I'm gonna stop now, I get waayyyy too excited about books :D

Edited by insidechilde, 24 July 2004 - 02:22 PM.

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Sun Tzu, The Art of War. Great Book.

Try "Come and Go Mad" by Fredric Brown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users