Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
I'm bout finished with rereading the HP series. Everything's Eventual was pretty good. Don't know what i'm going to read after the fifth HP book. may have to wander to the library and try to find something.
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Shadout

Shadout

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12 posts
I do enjoy the HP series in a childish sort of a way, although they have steadily gotten darker as the series goes on, I'm looking forward to the new one (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) coming out in June I think.

Anything by James Elroy is worth checking out, probably the best place to start would be The Black Dahlia and take it from there. I used to read a lot of Stephen King, but not so much recently. Pratchett's Discworld novels are simply a joy to read, and some of Robert Ludlum's work is pretty good.

To be honest, my two favourite books are trilogies - LOTR obviously, because of the way it's written, and the parallels between Middle Earth and the world during WWII are very good. As good as LOTR is, it doesn't match up to His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, which is as scathing depiction of the Catholic church as you will find, and a truly heart-wrenching story of lost innocence.

Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Anne rice, and Zippy Bright
Solitude's Angel

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy. I had read them years before, but in all that i've done in the last several years, i'd completely fogotten what they were about. I've recently began rereading them, and just finished the first one and started the second one earlier today. Really good books, all of them. Their a bit thick, and may appear daunting to many people, but stick with it. I can't imagine too many people who wouldn't like'm. Science Fiction/Fantasy. Really good books, Highly Recommended.

Posted Image

Neuralinput

Neuralinput

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 35 posts
Currently Reading-
Anne Rice - Interview With A vampire (Very good)
Sandy Mitchel - For The Emperor (Probably only good if you like the setting)

Good Books I've Read-
The Dark Tower I- I NEED TO READ THE OTEHRS
HP serious- Great book series
LOTR including Hobbit- Like the way it was written
Hitchhikers Guide to the universe - (Always bring a towell...*)
Ordo Xenos, Ordo Malleus, Ordo Heriticus.
The Sphere- John Cricton (GREAT AUTHOR)

Many more, some not worth listing...

Genre's I like-
Horror, not corny horror though...
Fantasy, needs to be non-repeatitive stuff. Eg. Sword of Sharnia (I think thats what it was called..)
Sci-Fi (I'm an addict to this genre, leave me alone O.o)
Historic- Sometimes can be intresting, just depends what I'm intrestied in at a particular time... been awhile though cause of my addiction to sci-fi O.o
I am the freakiest freak
Which makes me king
And If I am King
i get to choose my Queen
And that will be you, my love
And we will take the moon
So that we can have CHEESE!

Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 339 posts
im currently readin Pandora by Ane Rice ^_^ allthough i think ive read the first page 7 times already, i just dont really have the wil to actually sit and read for more then 10 minutes :S
Solitude's Angel

kala

kala

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 64 posts
I used to read more novels, now I don´t have much time to read, but... there are some books I would recommend you, they aren't in order of importance:

1. harry potter (all of them)
2. the lord of the rings ( all of them)
3. dracula
4. Crime and punishment
5. the web of life- fritjof capra (it´s not a novel)

Right now, I'm reading "las dunas" mattom's novel, before that: le miserables.

I use to read a lot of cientific books, but i don't think you wanna know about them. B)
The persistence of Memory: " The difference between false memories and real ones is the same as for jewels: It is always the false ones that look the most real. The most brilliant" - Salvador Dalí

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
if you find them interesting, feel free to talk bout'm. that's what this thread is about: books.

Posted Image

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
I've just finished reading the last book in one of my absolute favorite trilogys. The series is called the Coldfire Trilogy: Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows, by C. S. Friedman. Fantasy fiction at its best. A bit of a long read for some. BSR is 586 pages, WTNF is 617 and COS is 525. All three that I have are in paper back form. I really recommend them to anyone who loves fantasy, magic, another world and adventure.

Really. Read'm.

Posted Image

Mattom

Mattom

I know this because Mattom knows this.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
I am currently reading a collection volume of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's tales... He's good. Although after you read three of them in a row you start catching the drift of all of his tales... though if you want to be amazed read The Case of Charles Dexter ward. And my personal favorite, The Silver Key.
I love mankind, it's people I can't stand.
[URL]YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAR

[URL=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/]user posted image

Odin X

Odin X

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • 283 posts
i'm reading wolfdog for the tenth time this year.

good onrs are:
Wolf at my back door

a Wolfs' criy

there will be wolfs

the old house on the hill

merlin

the sword of the dark mag.

In the Shadows of a death and decay that I dewell in untell the day that I cen kill every one left a live.

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
I seem to be on a streak of rereading books i haven't read in years.

Currently I'm rereading Terry Brook's Magic Kingdom series. I've already finished the first one, Magic Kingdom:For Sale/Sold, and am reading the second one, The Black Unicorn.

They're good books.

I like alot of Terry Brooks' books.

Posted Image

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
I just finished "A personal matter" by one of my favorite japanese writers, Kenzaburo Oé. Noble Prize in 1994. It is a marvelous and crude novel. Highly recommended for you all. :ph34r:

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
I'm on book three of the Landover series now. Tho I have to take a break from those and work on my school work. Yuck.

Posted Image

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Now reading "The Aleph" by Jorge Luis Borges.

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
This is reading for a class, but its actually fairly interesting.

Lame Deer--Seeker of Visions, by John Fire/Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes.

Its the autobiography of Lame Deer (as told to Richard Erdoes). He's a Native American (South Dakota) medicine man. He tells not only of how he came to be one, but his life and some history of his area. Its really rather interesting. Even tho I normally wouldn't have picked it up to read, I'm rather glad that this is the book I chose for my paper.

Posted Image

bloodlust_mistress

bloodlust_mistress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, sex, religion, Geneology, lovely little debats!, learning about way back in the past, and reading up on Celtics...very interesting people...
Oooh, I love reading. I would seriously have to recommand basically ALL of Stephen King's books, okay? Especially the ones that follow;

The Dark Half
The Tommyknockers
Desperation
The Regulators (Under Richard Bachman)
One Past Midnight
Two Past Midnight
Three Past Midnight
Four Past Midnight ---(Wow, pretty convienent,'eh?)

Now for just other books I like to continue to read over and over again;

Harry Potter
L.O.T.R
Any Anne Rice books, she rocks!
The Black Donnelly's -(Easy reading, but I still like it!)-
The Da Vinci's Code -(The prequel of it too, I can't remember the name of that one!)-
Ender's Game/The Speaker of the Dead/Xenocide/Shadow of the Hegemon/Ender's Shadow

Umm....that's all I can think of!

Edited by bloodlust_mistress, 08 April 2005 - 03:41 PM.

Mattom

Mattom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Now reading "the Illyad" and "The Odissey". Again... :ph34r:

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
Finally done with Lame Deer. Turned the paper in this morning. Now I just have to return it to the library before its due. I guess that I'll go back to the Landover series and finish those, or at least try to in what little spare time I have.

Oh, and I bought a ton of books several weeks ago, like 52 of them, tho I gave about half of them to my mom cause they were one of the author's she loves, Piers Anthony. But of the ones I kept, there are a couple of Tanith Lee, some Anne Rice and others along those lines. So I should have plenty to read this summer. YaY!

Posted Image

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
since the end of school, I have finished the Landover Series, read one or two romance novels because I couldn't find my box of books, read most of The Hounds of Dracula, but can't seem to finish it, and am now currently reading Faerie Tale bye Raymond E. Feist for the fourth or fifthe time in my life, tho the first time in many years.

Since I have no job, I'll probably be adding to this list alot this summer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users