Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Psychotically old BBS games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I used to play text based games on a local BBS, called the X-Files BBS (it was made long long before there was ever a TV show by the same name). They were in many ways the birth of online multiplayer gaming as it is today, and I thought that some of you might enjoy taking a trip back and trying them out, whether it be for the first time or to revisit what once was, so I setup a little system so that you can telnet onto my server and play around some.

Right now we've got Legend Of the Red Dragon (LORD), Lord II, Lunatix, Gothik - Better than Chocolate (this one was actually written by a new member here - ElderDaniel), and DoorMUD. More may soon be on their way by request, so let me know if you have something you'd like added and I'll see what I can do.

To play, just paste telnet://secondshifters.thebbs.org into your browser, and after you're finished with the short registration process, you'll be taken right to the games menu.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Tool

Tool

Gothic Angst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I use to play Zork on a Commodore 64, then later a game called Wizardry on nes. I shall give it a go and see what's up.

ohgr

ohgr

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Music, poetry, writing, photoshop, gaming, clubing, wrestling
That's a fantastic idea atnevon!

Now I think it talked about this before in Chat, but I didn't get to play around on the old BBSes back in the day. I know quite a bit about it though.

I have played some MUDS though in my time. Infact how I found Secondshifters was through a MUD site. I think it was called Aardwolf, which really reminded me Everquest, without the graphics.

If we could get something going on here simular to the style of this mud I use to play called "Iconoclast", that would be awesome. That's actually based off a homemade RPG I believe, that has a very dark, futuristic GOth quality to it.

Anyways, I'll be checking your little BBS out. And if anyone needs some help with teleneting and stuff, I'd gladly lend a hand.
Infact, don't use your default telenet client, it stinks.. Use something like Zmud or Paeblo. Much better clients I think.

Tool

Tool

Gothic Angst

• Members
  • 163 posts
Ok I tried it and had a good time. How do I use a point in the LORD game? :huh:

Tool

Tool

Gothic Angst

• Members
  • 163 posts
Hey!!! How do I use Mystical Skill points in L.O.R.D ? Or for that matter mystical skills?

Nevermind I figured it out. :D

Edited by Tool, 23 December 2004 - 10:28 AM.

kyhoti

kyhoti

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Renaissance Festivals, Scottish Highlands Games, chainmaile armor, dark tunes (duh), living a double life (hehheh), knives, swords, The Kingdom of Drakkar, finding new friends under rocks, finding new rocks, pop rocks, pop goes the weasel
Too much fun! I had forgotten how much time I spent doing that stuff. Hehheh. I am a member of the Geek Royal Court. Thanks Atnevon!

ElderDaniel

ElderDaniel

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:ABOUT ME<br>Besides working full-time as a software developer, I'm also a freelance writer. I write poetry, short stories, and articles, many of which have been published in Acrimony magazine.<br><br>I have also self-published my own &quot;vampire romance&quot; novel, entitled LILITH'S LOVE. I am working on a sequel and third book to complete a trilogy.<br><br>Right now, one of my personal software projects is a web-based RPG/LARP/MUD hybrid vampire game called GOTHIK: Tangled Web. This is an old project to make a new version of the ANSI BBS door game, GOTHIK: Better Than Chocolate. Someday this may actually get finished. ;)<br><br>When I'm not doing one of these various and sundry activities, I can be found lurking on my own website The Lurkers' Domain, a forum for storytelling and role-playing games. Right now, I am hosting a &quot;Beginner's RPG&quot; there called Carpe Vegas.<br><br>LIKES<br>Good books, good music, good food, good company, and a good laugh. A like a good debate, until it becomes mud-slinging. Everything can be fun until someone loses an eye, and then hey... free eyeball!<br><br>DISLIKES<br>Anyone who thinks they're better than anyone else... for any reason. You can like what you want, believe what you want, say what you want, do what you want. Just don't tell me you are better than someone else because of what you believe.<br><br>STUFF I COLLECT<br>I am a packrat with ecclectic tastes by nature, so to list everything here would be futile. However, here is a basic list of stuff I collect: ankh pendants · comic books and graphic novels · movie/television scripts · action figures · artwork trading cards · vampire comic books, fiction and non-fiction books, movies, and music · Vampire: The Masquerade books · sarcastic buttons from Hot Topic · fortune cookie fortunes · die-cast automobiles · yo-yos · jigsaw puzzles · unusual bottles · SoBe bottle caps · hawaiian shirts · tie-dye shirts (most of which I dyed myself) · dreamcatchers (some of which I've made myself) · ceramic artwork (all of which I've painted myself) · anything created by Douglas Adams · anything created by Neil Gaiman · anything created by Joseph Michael Linsner · movies starring Angelina Jolie · movies written/directed by Kevin Smith · library books that I have yet to return · email addresses · links to cool websites like this one!
All of these games are really cool. Some of my other favorites from back in the day are Global Wars and Food Fight. I can help ya track 'em down if need be. But since you found and dusted off GOTHIK, I imagine you know where to get them all. ;)

BTW: I still actively keep up with requests for GOTHIK, bug fixes and new functionality. If anyone has any ideas, please drop me a line.

- ElderDaniel

Edited by ElderDaniel, 23 December 2004 - 07:50 PM.

user posted image

Neuralinput

Neuralinput

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 35 posts
Cool Cool. You've already got me addicted :D. Must kill da bringands... :-P Anyways, maybe I'll see people on.

Oh, and how come DoorMUD only lets you go to level 7 and 35 monster kills? Just wondering...

Edited by Neuralinput, 27 December 2004 - 08:11 PM.

I am the freakiest freak
Which makes me king
And If I am King
i get to choose my Queen
And that will be you, my love
And we will take the moon
So that we can have CHEESE!

Kross

Kross

Roleplay Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:pizza, capt morrigan spiced rum... pizza... yea
atnevon, you need to put in more areas into LORD, i know there are doezen of addons that are ass simple at put in the folder and such :P
"I don't look for trouble, but if it comes, I hide from it. Damn right, pretty boy. You may call me chicken, but I've known a lot of Kindred over the years who got smart just a few seconds too late. It's not like we can't die, it's just that it don't come natural any more." - Nosferatu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users