Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Makes You Different?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

ChaosRTBH

ChaosRTBH

Evil Mastermind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Several weeks ago, Atnevon and I had a conversation about how we're not your "classic" goths. Personally, where most classic goths wear white make-up, listen to depressing music, and write bad poetry; I'm naturally white with an actual flesh tone, listen to hard an energetic music, and write GOOD poetry. So I was wondering, do YOU guys consider your self an average, everyday goth? and if not, what sets you apart from what society sees as what the gothic subculture is supposed to be?
user posted image
you look pretty.......pretty tasty

"user posted image
I like burritos!!

user posted image"
I adopted a cute lil' ninja fetus
from Fetusmart! Hooray fetus!

Scypher

Scypher

Thidwick the Big-Heated Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:I used to write lost my inspiration a long time., and i give up on it

Now i build Race cars, circle track and drag racing
    and i build off road trucks
I'm not the classic Goth. I can't say that I write good poetry, mine leans toward the half decent side. I don't do make up takes too long, and I'm not the model of co-ordination when I get up. music. I listen to just about everything except :

rap('cept Emenim don't know why though)

country(the parents used to make me listen so I hate it now)

jazz(eh just never really liked it)

pop ( it's pop ...need I say more)

but what I think sets me apart the most is that I'm a gearhead. for thought who don't know what that means I"m a car guy. Instead of paying $380 to get my truck fixed, I did it for $30 and about four hours under the hood of my truck. I've never heard of a goth that it a mechanic beside me.
It's better to die quick

Fighting on your feet

Than to live forever

Begging on your knees

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:my very beautiful girlfriend, punk rock, violence, video games, liquor
check out how goth i am:

i wear gap and express jeans and punk and sonic youth tshirts. sometimes my hair is blue and sometimes green and sometimes yellow and sometimes black and sometimes white. i like it white but my girlfriend thinks it looks like i put whiteout or glue in it or something. which is, like, totally the point.

like totally! how many goths say that?

i'm a computer programmer and i drive a black 2001 camaro.

i don't think goth. i think punk rock and hard liquor and violence and scooby doo and DBZ on the cartoon network.

i can swim really fast, i spend at least two hours a day at the YMCA.

i don't believe in shit.

i do listen to goth music, though. among other things. and i play it for you. among other things. you listen to second shifters 24/7! and make requests of me monday and friday mornings.
i never found the rainbow's end, but at least i found a better place without you

lyssiria

lyssiria

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:books. i like books... cuz i'm shy. no, for real, i'm a librarian.
i'm hardly a classic goth. the only time i went around with my skin whiter than it already is was one halloween when i was trying to REALLY look like i died.
i don't write poetry, of any kind, good or bad.
like my man up there (sickfish), i like punk rock, bright colors and tshirts. unlike most everyone, i like some country (PLEASE DON"T KILL ME!), but only because my boss won't listen to anything else. :ph34r:
my car...not so goth, it's a blue 2001 saturn sedan.
in high school i was more of your classic goth, like my avatar there. since then my hair has reverted to its natural blonde, i don't walk around giving everyone the stare of death anymore, and i own more blue pairs of jeans than black. i'd hate to say i've grown out of it, but that's really what it seems like. i still identify with that part of me, but most people don't get to see it on the outside.

Necro_Herrin

Necro_Herrin

Necrophiliac- Wanna play dead for me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hmmm... I like this topic...

Well I'm naturally as pale as they just about come.. But of course I enhance it.... I listen to depressing music... But I always have... So it is a part of me... I do write poetry, but I'm good at is as well...

I do wear just about all black, I wear the white make-up, black eyeliner......But this is who I am... Ya know?.... I don't try to be something I'm not...

If I grow out of this and become something else...Then so be it... I don't condemn or hate.....Well that's a lie.. I do hate... LoL.

But my point is.. I am who I am... You can either luff me or not luff me... I'm sorry if people can't look beyond my looks and get to know who I really am and what I hold within my hands, and what I want to share with the world... Who knows...

Maybe I'm just a lost cause and hope.

:: walks off to sleep ::

Syana

Syana

Psychotically Insane

• Members
  • 2,858 posts
  • Interests:gone
i don't know if i would even consider myself goth anymore....the mainstream has put such a bad name to it because of the stereo type. *nods softly* for music, i listen to everything...depressed? i used to be severely depressed, was put on meds, now i'm reduced to just having bouts of it...not very often, though. i love going to the beach and actually getting a tan....*shrugs* and yes, one of my fav colors is black and i own lots of dark clothing...then again...i always thought of being goth as a mindset...how you think...being openminded...but maybe that's just me....

Genevive

Genevive

Horny Hot Goddess

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Pft.
I wouldn't say im goth, I write not that bad poetry, listen to depressing music, wear all black, and dark make up, sometimes lipstick, my skin is already pretty pale, plus i've been told i was crazy on numerous occasions, mostly because i talk to myself All The Time...LoL...that's my parents fault though...they never gave me a brother or a sister...selfish bastards...*grins*....just kidding i love my parents

:D

To top it all off....i don't feel goth, but everyone thinks i am...but i don't really care that much anyways, im myself!

:)

*misses FragmentedProphet*

:(
Tanning is sick...I hope you all get skin cancer, you brown people!!!

n_joy_n_sorrow

n_joy_n_sorrow

Friends don't let friends kill people.?

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:HvZ, nerf guns, graduating college, Islam, music, concerts, things.
goth, punk, prep, jockstrap, indie, ghetto, slut, wannabee-fuck! i must be the only person who hates labels.
people have a very, very hard time pinning that shit to me. I'd say I'm far to complicated for that. I guess in the end I'm just a "freak" as much as I hate the title; it seems appropriate. Wouldn't you say?

Well for most of you who don't know me, I care more about ones ideas than their clothes; the mind has been around forever-fashion has not. Some of us are just born with a darker preception than others, some choose to embrace it (the "gothic lifestyle"), while others have a mystic to them. I suppose you could say that about me. I dont strictly wear all black, although I have to say it is a major part of my wardrobe. As for make up, I don't like to wear to much of it. I am not pale white, I have a semi dark complection. I do play around with the black lipstick and heavy eyeliner sometimes, I say sometimes because well, if you've ever had the pleasure of knowing me, you'd know I change quite a bit. However, as I've said before, my ideas do not change much. I'm not a bit closed minded which might come off as a suprise. The idea I hate the most is ignorance. I can't stand not knowing about things apart from myself. I've studied many religions and have found hardly much value in them for myself. I gain faith and lose it just as easily as the next person. However, it comforts me a great deal to know that I've tried to understand other people, and in some way I suppose I do. It also helps me not hate as much. Even though I know can be very, very wicked. Some parts of myself I cannot change no matter how much knowledge I gain.

I love gothic industrial music. I was raised with metal and classic rock so I love that too. I have a great appreciation for music. I like classical and opra and all that jazz (lol). I don't listen to much country, maybe some stevie ray vaugn or lynard skynard on a good day. I like synth pop, 80's bands, The cure, Missing Persons, Duran Duran. My musical tastes range pretty far. At the moment I'm listening to Garbage, because i adore Shirley Manson.
What sets me apart from others is soley that I'm myself and probally know more about the world and life than most people my age. That I'm proud of.
My poetry? I'm personal about that. I do write a great deal...a very great deal. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. Poetry is another form of art, and I can't really say if mine is good or bad. I do know that I enjoy reading it and can spend a whole day reading a novel if I want.

Another crazy thing about my dear self that is "un goth" is I've been known to go to a few raves. I just enjoy concerts, music, and dancing. Raves, like Goth shows I go to bring out the life in me. There's just something about the energy of concerts and raves that gets me.

well. meh. i'm bored with this so I'll stop now.
Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death." -Nny
"touching, informative, inspirational, secondshifters"

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:my very beautiful girlfriend, punk rock, violence, video games, liquor
yeah that was kind of my point, it's hard to fit a specific label, but it's really easy to find ways in which you *don't* fit the label. so it ends up being something like

"i'm a computer nerd who works out a lot and looks like a punk and listens to goth and likes muscle cars and 60's cartoons"

that's my label. B)

and when you DO find someone who fits a label like that perfectly, it's really funny, like groundskeeper willie on the simpsons. walking stereotypes rule!
i never found the rainbow's end, but at least i found a better place without you

n_joy_n_sorrow

n_joy_n_sorrow

• Members
  • 43 posts
lol
Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death." -Nny

n_joy_n_sorrow

n_joy_n_sorrow

• Members
  • 43 posts
hey here is something you all may find in some way interesting.

go to this site. and click on the article "I Am Not Goth"
just read.

http://www.purgingtalon.com/nlm/nlmessays.htm

n_joy_n_sorrow

n_joy_n_sorrow

• Members
  • 43 posts
well said.
fuck, has anyone clicked on that link i posted on here?!
a satanic veiwpoint on this topic is much needed.
http://www.purgingtalon.com/nlm/nlmessays.htm
read the article "i am not goth"
it says it all.

ChaosRTBH

ChaosRTBH

Evil Mastermind

• Members
  • 196 posts

goth, punk, prep, jockstrap, indie, ghetto, slut, wannabee-fuck! i must be the only person who hates labels.
people have a very, very hard time pinning that shit to me. I'd say I'm far to complicated for that. I guess in the end I'm just a "freak" as much as I hate the title; it seems appropriate. Wouldn't you say?

Well for most of you who don't know me, I care more about ones ideas than their clothes; the mind has been around forever-fashion has not. Some of us are just born with a darker preception than others, some choose to embrace it (the "gothic lifestyle"), while others have a mystic to them. I suppose you could say that about me. I dont strictly wear all black, although I have to say it is a major part of my wardrobe. As for make up, I don't like to wear to much of it. I am not pale white, I have a semi dark complection. I do play around with the black lipstick and heavy eyeliner sometimes, I say sometimes because well, if you've ever had the pleasure of knowing me, you'd know I change quite a bit. However, as I've said before, my ideas do not change much. I'm not a bit closed minded which might come off as a suprise. The idea I hate the most is ignorance. I can't stand not knowing about things apart from myself. I've studied many religions and have found hardly much value in them for myself. I gain faith and lose it just as easily as the next person. However, it comforts me a great deal to know that I've tried to understand other people, and in some way I suppose I do. It also helps me not hate as much. Even though I know can be very, very wicked. Some parts of myself I cannot change no matter how much knowledge I gain.

I love gothic industrial music. I was raised with metal and classic rock so I love that too. I have a great appreciation for music. I like classical and opra and all that jazz (lol). I don't listen to much country, maybe some stevie ray vaugn or lynard skynard on a good day. I like synth pop, 80's bands, The cure, Missing Persons, Duran Duran. My musical tastes range pretty far. At the moment I'm listening to Garbage, because i adore Shirley Manson.
What sets me apart from others is soley that I'm myself and probally know more about the world and life than most people my age. That I'm proud of.
My poetry? I'm personal about that. I do write a great deal...a very great deal. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. Poetry is another form of art, and I can't really say if mine is good or bad. I do know that I enjoy reading it and can spend a whole day reading a novel if I want.

Another crazy thing about my dear self that is "un goth" is I've been known to go to a few raves. I just enjoy concerts, music, and dancing. Raves, like Goth shows I go to bring out the life in me. There's just something about the energy of concerts and raves that gets me.

well. meh. i'm bored with this so I'll stop now.

labels are always going to be around sweetie, human nature I guess. Best thing to do is just make it something we like and can tolerate :) or at least make it accurate
user posted image

"user posted image
I like burritos!!

user posted image"

ChaosRTBH

ChaosRTBH

Evil Mastermind

• Members
  • 196 posts

*grins and points to his title*

see??!!

what!!! see what?!?!
user posted image

"user posted image
I like burritos!!

user posted image"

Sythriel

Sythriel

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hey people, new here.....How's it going...? :rolleyes:

Scypher

Scypher

Thidwick the Big-Heated Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:I used to write lost my inspiration a long time., and i give up on it

Now i build Race cars, circle track and drag racing
    and i build off road trucks

I'd say that I have to agree with this. I don't really like labels either, but humanity in general has a habbit of naming everything.

oh and I forgot to mention what I drive above. What I drive is nothing that at all can be concidered goth. it borderlines redneckish (hell I llive in Georgia right in the middle of it). I drive a 1985 Ford F-250 4x4. it's faded Ford Blue. with a very large and powerful moter under the hood (351 winzor with a 4b carb) hell me and a couple of guys took our truck and went off roading. I got 2 twelve in. subs behind the seats blaring Little bit of Kitte little bit of Manson littls bit of KoRn. But I must go and prepare to rip apart the front axels this weekend

bye
It's better to die quick

Fighting on your feet

Than to live forever

Begging on your knees

Armand

Armand

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • 229 posts
...what makes me different?..hmm....I am myself....that should say all there is to say on this matter....

LadyCrow

LadyCrow

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 18 posts
I like the topic as well, but perhaps because Water started it and she has a habit of making me feel really comfortable.
Like most people I'm not your classic Goth. Quite a few of the stereotypes just don't fit me, but it depends on the mood I suppose.
Yea I probably look it, maybe more the "modern" Goth as I'm a pants and tee shirt kinda girl rather than the elegant dresses, but I do enjoy those aspects of fashion and am slowly leaning to it.
I do not wear white makeup, but I do find my skin colour is lighter than the lightest foundation at like every store I've gone to.
Yes I listen to Gothic music, but I listen to almost every other genre.. pop, rock, oldies, jazz, lounge, ambient, new age, 80's, classical, punk, a lot of country.. Some of it's what I was raised on, but mostly I just like music... and obviously most kinds.. You won't find me strictly listening to any one genre, I like variety.
I am not a big fan of many of the popular authors.. Shakespeare is god awufl in my opinion, Poe lacks depth, and Ann Rice is boring (great storylines though).
I'm not depressed, I don't walk around insulting other groups of people, I don't hang with a Gothic clique.. I have many friends from all walks of life and like it that way.
I'm not obsessed with death, although I am fascinated by it..
I do write poetry, but I can't say whether or not it's good..
And I do tihnk of myself as an intellectual, sadly a lot of the "goths" my age are well.. not..

Guest_Tozzy_*

Guest_Tozzy_*
  • Guests
im just gonna say -

what exactly is gothic music?

An Ichor Kiss

An Ichor Kiss

it's just a kiss

• Members
  • 210 posts
To be perfect and plainly honest, No one is goth, no one is anything but themselves.

We listen to what we enjoy, we dress how we want, we act how we act. We are ourselves. We can be alike other people. But thats only Similarities; not a trend or whatever. Some people can be trendy though, thats why there are Goths and Well Goths. On one hand you can be a Goth because thats the way you are. Or you can be goth because you think goths are cool.

Labels are merely bad attempts at discrimination and slanderism. And merely help us to sterotype people further, its a means to sort the wannabe and poser sterotypes.

To be goth, or not to be. That sure as hell isn't the question.

There are simple rules to it.

If you tell people and insists your Goth : Your a wannabe.

If you don't like being called a Goth and what not : Your not, or are something else at heart.

If you don't care either way : Your yourself, and you dont need to give two shits what anyone else labels you as.

" Your just a loser Goth! "
" Fine. "
What is left when honor is lost?
- Publilius Syrus ( ~ 100 B.C. )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users