Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Am I Weird ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

bloodlust_mistress

bloodlust_mistress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, sex, religion, Geneology, lovely little debats!, learning about way back in the past, and reading up on Celtics...very interesting people...
Hey people who decide to read this which I doubt anyone will, ooh well I'm still gonna write it!

People say I'm a freak, weird, etc. Well, am I? Are we? Are you? I'm trying to act serious on this question! Loads of people always judge people by their faith and call them weirdos, physco's, etc. I bet you that everyone of you has done it before! Not because of someone's religion or something, but the way a certain person acts/dresses or their personality.

Wouldn't you call someone weird if they showed up at school wearing their underwear on their head and had a hat down their pants? I certainly would! People call me weird because of the way I dress, and the music I listen too...what exactly IS weird? Is everyone weird? Or are people who aren't afraid to be themselves weird?

So basically I am just asking what you'r views are on, Being Weird. What about you, do you consider yourself weird, or your friends, or somethings that you do/listen to? There is no REAL defintion for weird! Please tell me one and I will send you a million dollars! (More like five, I don't got more than five bucks)

Now I am kinda rambling so....I'll shut up.

Kaolix

Kaolix

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Music, Role-playing, Computer Games, Alcohol
You are not Weird.

Well known phrase: 'You're Unique, just like everyone else'. To be weird is to be different to others. If everyone's Unique, therefore everyone's weird, and since we're all weird, none of us are weird.

So its impossible for you to be weird. The act of being Weird makes you NOT weird. QED

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Body art/Modification.<br>Reading.<br>Being a [Helper] on Aardwolf MUD.<br>Ranting.<br>Skittles.
Hmm...

Interesting...interesting....

Throughout Highschool...I was though of as 'weird'...To the point where people would hurl abuse and throw fruit at me....And so on and so forth...

Because of this relentless behaviour towards little ol' me..Who never did anything to anyone...I can't 'function normally' in society...
Which is fine with me...It's just other peoples ideas in other peoples heads is all.....

Different does not equal weird to me...
I am not dressing this way..Doing my hair this way...thinking this way to be different...
I am doing it to be myself...
And by being myself...I can express the differences...

Alas...people seem to have a problem with this...
They call me weird...(Amoung other things) in a bad way....They use it as a derogatory term...
I think weird can be both a compliment and a put down...Depends on the person who is saying it...

"Wouldn't you call someone weird if they showed up at school wearing their underwear on their head and had a hat down their pants?"

I would automatically think 'Hey cool! There is something you don't see everyday'...I wouldn't call them wierd...What good would it do?

*whistles absent mindedly*

Anyway...Thats just my take on it....Besides..Who doesn't like a good ramble?

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:technology, anime, drawing, politics and conspiracies, pretty much everything cyber, dark stuff
Ok, the "weird" is anything that's different than Christians and/or their beliefs, Bible, etc.
The junkyard whispers my name...again and again
Q. Are you going to Hell?
A. Are we there yet? I've gotta pee pee.

Project 6209 - Industrial/Electronica/Alternative straight from Chicago
Project 6209 @ Myspace.com
Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook
maschinetheist on DeviantArt

lowlyangel

lowlyangel

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Industrial Rock, Electronica music, Dark Fiction, Neverwinter Nights, Blizzard games of all kinds, Roleplaying games, things like that
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=red]

Snap Judgements are instinctual. Everyone does them. Absolutely everyone. Anyone who claims they don't either has no instinct for survival and will shortly do something stupid and get killed in the process or is lying through their teeth.

The key is to use intelligence and logic to sift through what our senses feed us and our instincts filter to us. It's not easy.

There is a real definition to weird. It is that which is unlike the majority.

there is such a thing as being weird. but it is not a by default negative thing. I have been known as weird for most of my life. There is nothing wrong with that. I believe somewhere I read that one of the main goals of this website was to embrace that which is different in individuals.

The fault in your question is you are using the concept of weird or different as an extreme, and saying that everyone is different as in they each have their own intelligence. While true, that does not make each person unique. There are trends, fads, niche's, cliques. This means that everyone has things in common with someone else. weird is simply misused by the mainstream to measure how far away from their standards of normal you are. If you think about it this way, the only people worried about being considered "weird" are the people who want to be just like these people.

Don't worry about being weird. It's not an insult, it's a misused compliment

Have a Nice Day

bloodlust_mistress

bloodlust_mistress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, sex, religion, Geneology, lovely little debats!, learning about way back in the past, and reading up on Celtics...very interesting people...
:lol: You sound so much like a politician lowlyangel (And welcome to Second Shifters by the way)..."Have a Nice Day" I'm sorry, something I don't hear often.

ANYWAY . . .

robot: "weird" just doesn't have to be linked to Christian and religion and stuff, so why are you linking it just to that? Curious, is all, because it seems you think that people can only be weird in the world of religion.

SPyKE: You're absolutely right, what could would it do to call people weird? None - no not at all.

Kaolix: I have a very unlikely situation for you! What happens if two people are seriously, literally made the same way! Like they act the same way and stuff, which means that they are NOT unique at all! (This is, obviously, a situation that will never occur unless is becomes a new crusade) So wouldn't that throw off your whole theroy of being weird because you are unique and the cancelling each other out and stuff? So if you say being weird is being unique and two people are NOT unique, that means that not all of us are different hence: Some of us are weird. Does that make sense?

lildevil

lildevil

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:reading writing drawing hanging out horror movies
i think weird is just a phrase. personally i would hate to think of everything being "normal" what would be the fun in that?! everyone needs to be different, and if people keep calling someone a freak then maybe they should look at them and find out how much they have in common because i would bet money that they're more similar then others think.

i think another reason people get called weird is because of stereotypes. and if you don't fit in with the average stereotype then your a freak.

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:technology, anime, drawing, politics and conspiracies, pretty much everything cyber, dark stuff
bloodlust_mistress, because they're the ones that describe us as "weird"...

Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook

bloodlust_mistress

bloodlust_mistress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 143 posts
Ah, robot, so you are talking about the majority of those who call us weird? In for the majority, gots it. :D

lildevil, there would be absolutely NO fun if everyone was "normal" you are so right! lolz

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 316 posts
yay :)

Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook

Kaolix

Kaolix

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Music, Role-playing, Computer Games, Alcohol
First of alll, what I said about everyone being weird and thus noone being weird is entirely philosophical of course, it doesn't quite work that way because certain preferences are seen as more 'normal', for instance liking pop music isn't considered 'weird' despite the fact that the majority of the people on this world have either never heard it or don't like it, simply because theres so many little different niches that there IS no set standard for the majority, just certain things which are considered more 'normal'

As for the 'two people being identicaly the same in every way? The majority of people do NOT have a perfectly identical copy of themselves. Therefore by having an identical copy, they are 'weird'. Being exactly the same as someone is weird because it is extremely unusual, but as, philosophically speaking, most people can be considered weird, those people are ALSO normal, because they're weird, if you see what I mean.

I might get around to adding something of practical relevance to this discussion sometime :)

Imortallia

Imortallia

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Too Many
Ok....So.. Like I'ma just say this...MOST of the time, Me being umm..."DIFFERENT"...is what attracts ppl to Me. But then again, I AM JUST being Me...ya kno. I don't consider Myself as weird..I am unique, as are you. Remember THAT!
Embrace the Darkness

user posted image

acidsystemsex

acidsystemsex

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Writing Music, Dark Industrial mainly.
I've got to the point now, where I am so incredibly "wierd" that people don't give a fuck about my "wierdness" anymore; it took like 3 years but everyone kind of just shut up and accepted my "wierdness"

Edited by acidsystemsex, 10 July 2005 - 11:58 AM.

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 316 posts
Good for you...I wish I would get same acceptance from others like you :(

Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
the definition for "weird" is the same as the definition for "normal". "Normal" is a culturally accepted average of behavior. "Weird" is an average of behavior that is not accepted, or as accepted. On this site, each of us are unique, but because most of us share common interests, we are not "weird", we are "normal" But, to those around us who do not share our interests and beliefs, etc, we are weird. To us, they may be weird. It really is a matter of perspective, and personal identity.

btw, I classify myself as weird....psych major requirement.....
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

bloodlust_mistress

bloodlust_mistress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 143 posts
Oh Good Gods, I never knew this topic would get so confusing for me! I'm not a smart one :( lolz. Ah-yes, being weird IS cool!! *Is so totally lost* Umm...yeah, I'm with you on that robot! I wish more people would also accept me for my "weirdness".

That settles it! I have come to my own conclusion, yours might be different but ooh well. Everyone has something weird about them, everyone has some weird in them but more people let it out than others (Take me for example...or any other of you guys :P ). So everyone's weird but people who think THEY aren't weird are and therefore are being hypocritical, the END!!! lolz

BoxingDualMetal

BoxingDualMetal

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Faith. Prayer. Practice/<br>Any song of spice/
I will try to accept you, as long as one doesn't go about doing the insults and descrimination, upon another. That's wierd to me, Raw, I will go at that.

And do respect me so I can respect you.

Mattom

Mattom

I know this because Mattom knows this.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
I have this simple, I am also called weird on a DAILY basis, and I don't even define my dressing as edgy... so what I do when they tell me I am weird is answer: "IF being weird is not being like you, I'm as weird as it gets".

It has gotten me off the hook some times. Besides, when you can make people smile not once but two or three times against their better judgement, it makes them notice. It gets their attention.
I love mankind, it's people I can't stand.
[URL]YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAR

[URL=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/]user posted image

Tool

Tool

Gothic Angst

• Members
  • 163 posts
Weird is defined as both a noun and an adjective but I think in this case it is an adjective.
1 : of, relating to, or caused by witchcraft or the supernatural.
2 : of strange or extraordinary character.
synonyms WEIRD, EERIE, UNCANNY mean mysteriously strange or fantastic. WEIRD may imply an unearthly or supernatural strangeness or it may stress queerness or oddness - weird creatures from another world. EERIE suggests an uneasy or fearful consciousness that mysterious and malign powers are at work - an eerie calm preceded the bombing raid. UNCANNY implies disquieting strangeness or mysteriousness - an uncanny resemblance between total strangers.

Now getting that out of the way, weird in society is when you are not like the majority of those around you. It’s just that simple. I know that I am not like the majority of the ones around me, therefore I am weird.

Mattom

Mattom

I know this because Mattom knows this.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sex, people, culture, writing, software, web design, fashion, movies, moviemaking, playwriting, playwrights, goth, techno, wisdom, loneliness, void in the heart, Village obliteration, Squirrely wrath, my ex, traveling.
ph34r 700l'5 w31rdn355!!!!!!!!!
I love mankind, it's people I can't stand.
[URL]YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS WAR

[URL=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/]user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users