Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stanley Williams

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
As many of you have probably been seeing in the news, Stanley Williams, Co-Founder of the Crips street gang, is due to be executed in less than 24 hours unless he is granted clemency from the governor. It is no secret to anyone that he is responsible both directly and indirectly for an unimaginable amount of violence and suffering on a very large amount of people. However, the counter side is that this same man has made great strides in attempting to stray young people away from making the same mistakes he has.

So, the question becomes, does the good outweigh the bad in this case? Should this man die at our hands or should he be given the chance to live through the rest of his life in the hopes that the difference he makes through the extra years is worth saving him for?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
Very difficult thing to make any sensible descision about.

1: he is found guilty of committing crimes and being directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of things (like you said)

2: he tries to keep people from doing what he did.

Now i wonder how many of those people mentioned in point 2 are inspired by his actions mentioned in point 1?
How many people committed crimes because they saw him as some sort of skewed idol that had to be followed (or something similar) and that got put back by him to what we consider "civil"...

He might have tried to correct his mistakes, but it is not so that if you correct something, that it will dissapear from peoples memory.

My vote would be not to execute him, but keep him straight in line and as an example to people thhat crime doesn't pay. not now, and not in the future.
Life long imprisonment and being a live schoolproject for (not yet) misguided people would be more appropriate i guess.
This is because he can prevent more peope from going the wrong way, and when he is dead, he simply can't. A recording of his statements doesn't have the same impact on people as a live group talk.

just my $0.02
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
No clemency for "Tookie"

US ex-gang boss denied clemency

California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has denied clemency to former gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams.

Barring a last-minute intervention by federal courts, Williams, 51, will be executed on Tuesday.

Earlier on Monday, California's Supreme Court and a federal appeals court both refused a stay of execution.

A co-founder of the notorious Crips street gang, Williams denies murdering four people in 1979.

"After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency," Mr Schwarzenegger said.

"The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case," the governor added.

Mr Schwarzenegger could have commuted the death sentence to life in prison without parole.

Protests

Correspondents say a reprieve from the federal courts is considered unlikely.

Williams is scheduled to receive a lethal injection at 0001 (0801 GMT) at San Quentin prison, north of San Francisco.

Local authorities are planning to tighten security outside the prison, where hundreds of protesters are expected.

During his 24 years in jail, Williams has won praise for his anti-gang books, earning Nobel Peace Prize nominations for his teachings.

He has attracted a number of high-profile supporters, including Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx, rap star Snoop Dogg - himself a former Crips member- Bishop Desmond Tutu and the Reverend Jesse Jackson.

However, the relatives of some of his victims have insisted he does not deserve clemency because he has not owned up to his crimes and refused to inform on fellow gang members.

Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
"i'm sorry" doesn't bring back the dead...
i think he should be executed...should've been a long time ago...t.v. justice lets us all think things go as they should in this nation's decaying judicial system...wrong....he's a cold blooded murderer...he should be shot by a firing line...

ruhetod

ruhetod

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything...well not everything, but the list of things I am interested in is much longer then the other list...which I haven't really taken the time to think out clearly...so I am interested in everything...until shown otherwise
He should be executed (has been) because he murder someone (four someones).
He could be fully repentent and it could be "better for society" if he had lived...but he should still be executed. <_<

~distorted_spick~

~distorted_spick~

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:doing whatever the hell i want
i think he shouldnt of been executed. he knew what he did wasnt right and he made up for the wrong he had done. he actually helped a lot of teens not do the same mistake he did. well its kinda too late to even be discussing this anyways. whats done is done, and can never be undone

Vita

Vita

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:reading somethin good with a nice cup of coffee to go along with it<br><br>debating religion, debating anything for that matter<br><br>listening to music so as to tame myself<br><br>walkin about on foggy days<br><br>dancing in the rain<br><br>meeting new unique people<br><br>not conforming<br><br>and just relaxing and having a good time<br><br>(oh and i luv to talk so if u have MSN and u want to add me go ahead i don't mind)
well....i'm late to post, but anyways

they eradicated the guy....

no matter how much he changed and did to prove that he changed, it didn't stop the needle..................

who's next i wonder?
die (v.) - to stop sinning suddenly.

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:oh so many to choose from<br>umm<br>boobies?
point is this
alot of people on death row say "I'm a changed man...I"ve learned from my mistakes and I can help others"
and yet...they can't help the famlies of the victims

yeah...he did "some" good...but look at what he had to do in order to make that change...he had to be convicted of multiple homicides and sentenced to death before he took a step back and say "oops I fucked up"
he was a gang boss...of a large gang.....
he ran it
can you imagine all the crimes that were commited in his name?

he got what he deserved
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Hell_In_Your_Eyes

Hell_In_Your_Eyes

There's A Wocket In My Pocket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
I'm way too forgiving sometimes, and if this had been a sugar-pink world, I would've let him go. However, life's not a big Barbie Malibu party so I'm glad he was executed. He got what he deserved.

twhiting9275

twhiting9275

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Williams, 51, was sentenced to death in 1981 for the murder of four people.

This is just disgusting right here. For 24 years, this individual was feeding off of the state of CA and it's individual taxpayers in jail/prison/etc. My god, is the system this slow?

Until his death, he claimed innocence, yet the jury said that he was guilty, so either there was enough evidence to find him guilty of murder, or he had an incredibly poor lawyer, and I'm betting that it was a combination of the two.

(Jamie)Foxx said: "If Stan "Tookie" Williams had been born in Connecticut in the same type of situation, and was a white man, he would have been running a company."

"But, born a black man who has the capability of having brute strength and the capability of being smart in the ways of the world, he's going to get into what he gets into."

So, by this interpretation, white people can get away with murder? Errrrm, none that I know of have. Of course, he's going to try to turn this into a prejudice/racial issue though, bah.

However, the relatives of some of his victims have insisted he did not deserve clemency because he had not owned up to his crimes and refused to inform on fellow gang members.

How can you be "reformed" if you refuse to assist law enforcement individuals by "informing" on other gang activities/members. I'm sorry, but that's a bit much there.

Did the guy deserve what he got? Definitely. He took human life, his own life may not bring those lives back, but it will offer at least some sort of closure for the relatives of the victims. It's incredibly sad that they had to wait 24 years for this, however, bah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users