Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Freedom

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Lillian

Lillian

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
I have been doing much research, specifically on gay marriage. But the one thing I have noticed is that the United States is the land of the free. But what is freedom exactly? Someone once told me that freedom is what you make it, but freedom isn't free, people must fight for what they believe in.

If this country is the land of the free, then why is the government trying to ban anything that they believe is unconstitutional? No place in the Constitution does it state that marriage must be between a man and a woman. Is it the same problem as to when people had issues with "In God We Trust" on the money, in our court rooms, in school etc.

So I ask, what is freedom to you? Do you believe that marriage should be up to the state or to the people who want to get married?

Discuss:
-Gay Marriage
-Freedom

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
Marriage is marriage, regardless as to whom is getting married, at least by my way of thinking. I don't even have issues with polygimy (or whatever that is)...so long as the household and children are properly cared for (should kids be part of that union).

IMHO, "freedom is what you make it" that should only apply to places with few to know freedoms.

But in the US, where we are SUPOSED to be free, then I say the only real laws should apply to "protect & serve" and gay marriage certainly does not fall within either...as it hurts no one, not even on an emotional level.
Q

Hell_In_Your_Eyes

Hell_In_Your_Eyes

There's A Wocket In My Pocket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
Love is love no matter what. I've always had that frame of mind, quite surprisingly since I've just come to discover my mother is the biggest homophobe I've had the displeasure of personally knowing. As is my grandmother. We had an argument about it the other night and I just said "You don't know whats "right" or "wrong" for sure, so let people be."

As for freedom in this country... Not entirely existent. We as a nation should really re-examine every aspect of our lives and realize how many freedoms are not being granted to us. It's sad.

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
execute and persecute them all...let "intelligent design" sort them out...

freedom was sold a few years back to the corperate mechanical monstrosity...now they sell it in little 3oz. packages on sunday mornings...but the government still holds the T.V. rights...serves them for thinking they can get away with anything... :P

but seriously...i don't care who's fucking who...marriage only applies to taxes...holy matrimony has been sullied...and freedom is a lie they tell little children they can convince later to "die for their country" but whom cannot even smoke drink or commit suicide should they so choose...fuck this country...

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:technology, anime, drawing, politics and conspiracies, pretty much everything cyber, dark stuff
Freedom is just a word that makes people feel good about their country.

I agree with Enki, we're doomed, now let's all go out for frosty milkshakes and McDonald's with our laptops running Microsoft Windows in our Nike t-shirts listening to music that RIAA "owns" in the end.
The junkyard whispers my name...again and again
Q. Are you going to Hell?
A. Are we there yet? I've gotta pee pee.

Project 6209 - Industrial/Electronica/Alternative straight from Chicago
Project 6209 @ Myspace.com
Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook
maschinetheist on DeviantArt

Lillian

Lillian

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 51 posts
A news update, many of the states in the United States have banned gay marriage. Proposition 22 passed in these states include Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Georgia, Texas, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Louisiana. At least what I know of. If there are more that you found, please let me know. I am an active member of GSA here at my high school. I really want to know everyone's opinion. Honestly, if you don't agree with it, you can post here too. I want all side's opinions.

ValgadisRTBH

ValgadisRTBH

Bartholemew and the Oobleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Music of nearly every genre.
I think that because the whole marriage shebang is at heart a RELIGIOUS issue that the gov't should have absolutely nothing to do with deciding what a marriage is or isn't. Hell the way I see it a whole bunch of homophobic ultra-conservative christians should have absolutely nothing to do with deciding it either. I think it should be a completely individual case by case basis for ANY type of marriage, gay, straight, bisexual, quadrasexual, don't care.

Edited by ValgadisRTBH, 04 January 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Reason and Logic are my Sword and Shield
Unreasoned Faith is my Dragon
Blind belief is a dangerous plague
Do you bend for the truth?
Or force it to bend for you?

Louie

Louie

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 97 posts
I have to agree with valgadis here, well...I agree with most of you actually.

We are just seeing things from our perception...which is mostly blind. "They" shove things in our face to destract us from the real issues from hand. President bush used the gay marriges to distract the US from what he was doing across the seas...anybody notice that? Ever notice that when we all seem to get just about ready to impeach the bastard, another alkaida tape pop's up?

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
Indeed, it seems that freedom is no longer what we once thought it was - but was it ever? When the Declaration of Independence was written and signed, there were a number of things that were stricken from it before it was finally approved - such as the abolition of slavery, for example. And what about women's rights? Look how long it took for negroes and women to get to the point they are at now. We are seeing more working women now than we did thirty years ago by far. We have become a biracial nation now, whereas thirty years ago we saw Asians, blacks, Irish, and whomever else that wasn't a white Protestant American born-and-bred in the good ole U. S. of A. as merely dirt under our feet.

On the issue of gay marriage, I said this in the topic about incest and I feel it also applies here: what people do in their bedrooms is their own business, not mine. I could care less who marries who - regardless of gender, race, arm size, whatever. It doesn't matter to me. And it goes back to freedom, as well: where in the Constitution does it say men can't marry men and women can't marry women? If blacks can marry whites (hey, I've known a couple of interracial couples - good people, they were) and vice versa, why can't a man or a woman marry someone of their own gender?

And there's my input for the day.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users