Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warp Drive Under Development

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

NeverBorn

NeverBorn

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Well, I'm big into psychology and science (especialy Quantum Mechanics) and I'm quite fond of the occational debate. Also demons, solipsism, transhumanism, sexuality, morals/ethics.
http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=16902006

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine.

The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field that, according to ideas first developed by the late scientist Burkhard Heim in the 1950s, would produce a gravitational field and result in thrust for a spacecraft.

Imagine what we could do if we could reduce our entire solar system to a few hour drive. If they're right it would be the beginning of an entire new era in humanity.
"You will become as small as your controlling desire; as great as your dominant aspiration" - James Allen

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
has anyone considered that creating a gravity well for the purpose of propulsion in an inhabited solar system might be completely catastrophic?..

NeverBorn

NeverBorn

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Well, I'm big into psychology and science (especialy Quantum Mechanics) and I'm quite fond of the occational debate. Also demons, solipsism, transhumanism, sexuality, morals/ethics.
It's not so much about creating a gravity well (though a magnetic field that dense might create a small degree of gravity it wouldn't be enough to have any really noticeable effects), but according to the article the field would allow them to shift into a different dimension where the speed of light is different.

Haha, anyone remember Event Horizon? I love it when Sci-Fi Horror comes true.
"You will become as small as your controlling desire; as great as your dominant aspiration" - James Allen

Chattur'gha

Chattur'gha

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in latin, books, motorcycles, poetry, and numerous other things.
If this hyperspace engine technology pans out I could finally realize my dream... to open the first Frozen Yogurt Stand on Neptune!!! I'll call it a"Chattogurt Stand"!! I'll have ads, fruit at the bottom... it would kick ass!

Stupid yogurt stands aside, this engine would be awesome. Do you know how much power it requires?
Sint mihi dei acherontis propitii, valeat numen triplex Jehovae, ignei areii, aquantani spiritus salvete: orientis princeps Belzebub, inferni ardentis monarcha et demigorgon, propitiamus vos, ut appareat, et surgat Mephostophilis...

quod tumeraris: per Jehovam, gehnnam, et consecratam aquam quam nunc spargo; signumque crucis quod nunc facio; et per vota nostra ipse nunc surgat nobis dicatus Mephostophils!!!
-The Summoning Satan Scene of Faust

What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.
-Sephiroth

When you choose not to give in with all of your being that is when you truly transcend your humanity.
-Arucard

The Unspeakable
Yggdrasil
Beastmaster
The Great Sephiroth
Dark Messenger
The Unborn
Wolfen

NeverBorn

NeverBorn

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 112 posts
I found a better source for information on the subject, found at:
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundam...925331.200.html

Claims of the possibility of "gravity reduction" or "anti-gravity" induced by magnetic fields have been investigated by NASA before (New Scientist, 12 January 2002, p 24). But this one, Dröscher insists, is different. "Our theory is not about anti-gravity. It's about completely new fields with new properties," he says. And he and Häuser have suggested an experiment to prove it.

This will require a huge rotating ring placed above a superconducting coil to create an intense magnetic field. With a large enough current in the coil, and a large enough magnetic field, Dröscher claims the electromagnetic force can reduce the gravitational pull on the ring to the point where it floats free. Dröscher and Häuser say that to completely counter Earth's pull on a 150-tonne spacecraft a magnetic field of around 25 tesla would be needed. While that's 500,000 times the strength of Earth's magnetic field, pulsed magnets briefly reach field strengths up to 80 tesla. And Dröscher and Häuser go further. With a faster-spinning ring and an even stronger magnetic field, gravitophotons would interact with conventional gravity to produce a repulsive anti-gravity force, they suggest.

I'm not exactly sure how that translates into Gigawatts, but it's a fair amount. They talk about using a setup simular to the Z Machine in New Mexico which is used to do experiements in nuclear fussion. So yeah, large power consumption. But as far as I'm concerend, it's worth every joul of it.

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.

I'm not exactly sure how that translates into Gigawatts, but it's a fair amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)

Though, with this invention, Wiki is likely gunna need an upgrade ;)

I once saw on discovery or some-such where they used a magnetic anti-gravity field to float frogs.

Kinda cool, but the machine to float that tiny toad was larger then my bathroom - so I guess they've made leaps and bounds in technology as they'd need a machine the size of Kalamazoo to float a house.

*shrug*
Q

Chattur'gha

Chattur'gha

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in latin, books, motorcycles, poetry, and numerous other things.
Thanks for answering my power source question. Do you know how near to completion this engine is?
Sint mihi dei acherontis propitii, valeat numen triplex Jehovae, ignei areii, aquantani spiritus salvete: orientis princeps Belzebub, inferni ardentis monarcha et demigorgon, propitiamus vos, ut appareat, et surgat Mephostophilis...

quod tumeraris: per Jehovam, gehnnam, et consecratam aquam quam nunc spargo; signumque crucis quod nunc facio; et per vota nostra ipse nunc surgat nobis dicatus Mephostophils!!!

-Sephiroth

When you choose not to give in with all of your being that is when you truly transcend your humanity.
-Arucard

The Unspeakable
Yggdrasil
Beastmaster
The Great Sephiroth
Dark Messenger
The Unborn
Wolfen

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.

Thanks for answering my power source question. Do you know how near to completion this engine is?

havent the foggiest...but if I remember I'll try to find the answer in the morning.

On a related note, I saw another show on National Geographic yesterday, it seems they "float" frogs, because they can actually be polorized or something *boggle*

Chattur'gha

Chattur'gha

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 154 posts
I wish I was a frog... floating would kick ass. *attempts to levitate*

-Sephiroth

-Arucard

The Unspeakable
Yggdrasil
Beastmaster
The Great Sephiroth
Dark Messenger
The Unborn
Wolfen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users