Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lawsuit: iPods may cause ... eh?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:oh so many to choose from<br>umm<br>boobies?
Man claims decibel levels, earphones contribute to hearing loss

Wednesday, February 1, 2006; Posted: 9:26 p.m. EST (02:26 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A Louisiana man claims in a lawsuit that Apple's iPod music player can cause hearing loss in people who use it.

Apple has sold more than 42 million of the devices since they went on sale in 2001, including 14 million in the fourth quarter last year. The devices can produce sounds of more than 115 decibels, a volume that can damage the hearing of a person exposed to the sound for more than 28 seconds per day, according to the complaint.

The iPod players are "inherently defective in design and are not sufficiently adorned with adequate warnings regarding the likelihood of hearing loss," according to the complaint, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in San Jose, California, on behalf of John Kiel Patterson, of Louisiana.

The suit, which Patterson wants certified as a class-action, seeks compensation for unspecified damages and upgrades that will make iPods safer. Patterson's suit said he bought an iPod last year, but does not specify whether he suffered hearing loss from the device.

Patterson does not know if the device has damaged his hearing, said his attorney, Steve W. Berman, of Seattle. But that's beside the point of the lawsuit, which takes issue with the potential the iPod has to cause irreparable hearing loss, Berman said.

"He's bought a product which is not safe to use as currently sold on the market," Berman said. "He's paying for a product that's defective, and the law is pretty clear that if someone sold you a defective product they have a duty to repair it."

An Apple Computer Inc. spokeswoman, Kristin Huguet, declined to comment.

Although the iPod is more popular than other types of portable music players, its ability to cause noise-induced hearing problems isn't any higher, experts said.

"We have numerous products in the marketplace that have the potential to damage hearing," said Deanna Meinke, an audiology professor at the University of Northern Colorado. "The risk is there, but the risk lies with the user and where they set the volume."

The Cupertino, California-based company ships a warning with each iPod that cautions "permanent hearing loss may occur if earphones or headphones are used at high volume."

Apple was forced to pull the iPod from store shelves in France and upgrade software on the device to limit sound to 100 decibels, but has not followed suit in the United States, according to the complaint.

The headphones commonly referred to as ear buds, which ship with the iPod, also contribute to noise-induced hearing loss because they do not dilute the sound entering the ear and are closer to the ear canal than other sound sources, the complaint states.

Linkage

well damn...I'm gonna go sue Dell...cause if one of their computers fell on my head I could die....and there are no warning lables saying "don't drop on your head...will cause injury up to and including death"
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
You would have more succes when you sue the artists that actually make the music you play on your Ipod, because without music you won't turn it up so loud, would you? Make sure to blame the right people.

Taking responsebility is idiocy!
This man does not suffer from, or will ever suffer from haring damage. He does suffer from an exceptionally large ego and confidence that his ridicilous claim will have any effect.
Any european judge should dismiss this complaint as a waste of time.

Evidence needed: one boxed and sealed I-Pod, to be opened in the courtroom, and then the man has to read all the manuals and warninglabels.

Case Closed, man send to jail for his own protection, and has to digest 3 earplugs a day.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
ahh but it's not in a european court...it's in a california court
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Kinda makes you question the reason you wake up each morning doesn't it? only to wake up to idiocy flooding the media.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

The Ruined Saint

The Ruined Saint

The doctor is in...sane.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;And Switchblade Symphony. I totally love Switchblade Symphony. Tina Root is a delight. And Susan Wallace. Hmmmm... Susan. I'd sell my soul just to try and hump her leg. And if all I got from the effort was a swift kick, I'd die happy.
The answer is, "You can get drunk, drive down a suburban streat at 110 mph, plow down a bunch of neighborhood kids, smash into a CMU wall, and kill yourself."

Alex, the question is, "Can I sue Ford Mortor Company for a couple mil?"
"I am goth, hear me mope..."

As a matter of fact, yes, Switchblade Symphony is the greatest band ever.

Ruining MySpace since 2005.
Even more MySpace havoc for 2007!

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

The answer is, "You can get drunk, drive down a suburban streat at 110 mph, plow down a bunch of neighborhood kids, smash into a CMU wall, and kill yourself."

Alex, the question is, "Can I sue Ford Mortor Company for a couple mil?"

here is the funny thing about that scenario...and i'll put it in another scenario that actually happens

you wake up in the middle of the night to a noise coming from your living room....you know your home alone and there is no way in hell anybody else should be here...you get your gun....you go into the living room where a masked person is stuffing your xbox 360 into a bag....you tell him to drop everything and get the hell out...he turns and pulls a gun...not wanting to feel the grief of having kill a person you shoot the person in the leg....they fall down and you call the police and an ambulance....
the robber sues you for shooting him

he wins the case....you have to pay him for hospital bills and other medical expences

and for defending your home

this kind of situation happens more then people think....robbers/muggers/rapists sue their victims and win....

now that....is fucked up
X32 1AR0
user posted image

The Ruined Saint

The Ruined Saint

The doctor is in...sane.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;And Switchblade Symphony. I totally love Switchblade Symphony. Tina Root is a delight. And Susan Wallace. Hmmmm... Susan. I'd sell my soul just to try and hump her leg. And if all I got from the effort was a swift kick, I'd die happy.
Actually, that's why I'm a Juggalo...

Your Friends vs Your Juggalo Homies
Friend: Will help you move out of a house.
Juggalo: Will help you move a dead body out of the house.

Friend: Doesn't tell anyone if you kill the guy who tried to kill you
Juggalo: Helped you kill that asshole

But, all humor aside, it's basically true. I mean, I'm at the end of a rather long anger management course, and while I'm all for keeping ones temper under control, reduce/remove agressive tendancies, and to be non-intrusive towards those around you, there seems to be this preference of modern society to produce people within society that will roll-over and play dead rather than stand up for themselves. Which is a bit of a joke since the people they want us to rely upon to stand up for us (cops, lawyers, judges, etc.) are often corrupt, bigotted, or just simply apathetic.
"I am goth, hear me mope..."

As a matter of fact, yes, Switchblade Symphony is the greatest band ever.

Ruining MySpace since 2005.
Even more MySpace havoc for 2007!

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
yeah...I have anger issues as well....
anyways...

wait...what do you mean lawyers are corrupt....I thought that was a entry level required course in law school
:ph34r:
X32 1AR0
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users