Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gran (film) larceny?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:oh so many to choose from<br>umm<br>boobies?
B'klyn grandma sued for $150G
in alleged 'Longest Yard' piracy

BY HUGH SON and JOHN MARZULLI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Meet the movie industry’s Public Enemy No. 1.
A 63-year-old Brooklyn grandmother is being sued by Hollywood for allegedly downloading a pirated version of the Adam Sandler film “The Longest Yard.?

Janice McBride's brassy response is right out of "Big Momma's House."

"Why are they going after an old lady living in the ghetto?" McBride told the Daily News yesterday from her East New York home.

"How can they charge me with something I didn't do?" she said. "The movie they're talking about is absolute garbage anyway. I don't even like Adam Sandler as an actor."

In civil suits filed this week in Brooklyn Federal Court, the Park Ave. lawyers for Paramount and Columbia Pictures are threatening McBride and two other defendants with fines of up to $150,000.

The suit draws the distinction that McBride "illegally swapped" the huge video file through file-sharing software.

"I have no money to fight them," said McBride, who earns less than $30,000 as a teacher's aide at Public School 150 in Brooklyn.

Her husband, Warren, is a retired driver for District Council 37 and collects a pension.

A spokeswoman for the Motion Picture Association of America said the industry launched an offensive against Internet film pirates in late 2004, filing several hundred copyright infringement suits in federal courts nationwide since then. There have been dozens filed in courts in the metropolitan area.

Spokeswoman Michelle Greeno said MPAA investigators subpoena the suspected pirates' Internet service providers to make their case.

"We don't have evidence that they downloaded the films, but we do know they have these films on their computers," she said.

The music industry also has been aggressively tracking down Internet pirates who illegally download songs, costing record companies millions of dollars in lost revenues.

Greeno said she didn't know the average settlement for the film piracy suits.

But a review of similar cases filed in federal court in Brooklyn showed one defendant charged with possessing three flicks settled for $6,000 and several others were dismissed.

McBride invited a reporter to access her desktop computer to show she did not have a copy of "The Longest Yard." The film wasn't there, but there were two songs from the remake of the Burt Reynolds vehicle.

She acknowledges that her 16-year-old grandson lives with her and has access to the computer. He was not home, but McBride said he "swore to her" he didn't download the film.

Efforts to reach Paula Rodriguez of Brooklyn, who is accused of swapping an unauthorized copy of "Kung Fu Hustle," and Robert Ferrandino of North Babylon, L.I., who allegedly had a hot copy of "House of Wax," were unsuccessful.

Linkage :blink:
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Syana

Syana

Psychotically Insane

• Members
  • 2,858 posts
  • Interests:gone
derrrrrrr.........we have no proof, but we're gonna charge her anyway

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Well you can't really blame them for being aggressive towards people, considering how much money they are screwed out of each year.
But to take it as far as they have is ridiculous.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
i think some people need to be put behind the 56k barrier again (and i mean the IRAAdiots).

It's easy to sue the bejeebers out of people who can't afford a decent defece in court,because if they are intimidated enough, they will settle for an agreement and a big payment.

The IRAA has more or less infinite resources, so they will continue doing this, and the rich kids will get away. I mean, you download one movie to watch, fine, but buy the dvd if you really like it.

But the real hit comes from the people who download movies and set up a distribution network of their own, but somehow i never see anything in the news like this:

"Semi-professional CD/DVD workshop dismantled, owner accused and charged for illegally aquiring and speading copyrighted content, 15.000 DVDs and CDs taken away for destruction"

Now if the IRAA would come out a little bit more realistic than this.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Nipplenecromancer

Nipplenecromancer

Fuck You and your opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Well you can't really blame them for being aggressive towards people, considering how much money they are screwed out of each year.
But to take it as far as they have is ridiculous.

No, you can't blame them for being agressive, but why should we care how much money the RIAA is screwed out of? It's an organization that REPRESENTS the artists. It's not the artists themselves. They're just a bunch of bigwigs who want to fill their own pockets. When the artists themselves (discluding Metallica, cause no one actually wants to listen to their new crap anyway) start complaining, I'll start listening. Until then, I could care less.
This space intentionally left blank.

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
How very true, i never looked at it like that.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
We have a similar organisation here, called "brein", and it has more or less the same tactics as the RIAA, but less effective.

however, of the 23 million euros income they generated every year the last couple of years, about 12 to 20 million per year "fell trough the accountancy" becuase the represented artists were only given about 3 million of the collected royalties.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:oh so many to choose from<br>umm<br>boobies?
ok...
this isn't the RIAA...it's the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America )

and if you read through it...which it doesn't seem like some of you did.......their are 2 main points
1. Spokeswoman Michelle Greeno said MPAA investigators subpoena the suspected pirates' Internet service providers to make their case.

"We don't have evidence that they downloaded the films, but we do know they have these films on their computers," she said.

2. But a review of similar cases filed in federal court in Brooklyn showed one defendant charged with possessing three flicks settled for $6,000 and several others were dismissed.

your arguing over the RIAA lawsuits....this has barely anything to do with the RIAA....other then if the MPAA comes across music they let the RIAA know about it....

the problem here is....they have no proof that the movies were downloaded...they are just on the computers....thus the reason alot of the suits are being tossed out.....if this lady was smart she would go to a lawyer and counter sue them...and perhaps the MPAA will get actual evidence before taking people to court
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Nipplenecromancer

Nipplenecromancer

Fuck You and your opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
Sorry, I read through Dirk's post and must've gotten it from there, though I feel the same way. If the actors and the studios actually begin complaining, then I'll listen.
This space intentionally left blank.

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
Both organizations seem to go after the small guy with 3 or 4 movies or maybe 30 or 40 songs...

Back when I had DSL and I found a single person with a good speed I'd do a search on that person and often would find 500 or so movies or songs on their box...yet it's these people 300+ infractions that continue to thrive while the folks with THREE movies have to pay 6k.

By my way of thinking it's not as illegal as they are letting on - yeah illegal enough to bust some poor old lady with a single move that makes less then 30k a year...but not illegal enough to go after someone able to afford a T1 connection.
Q

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users