Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lesbian T-shirt school storm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
A STUDENT being asked to remove a T-shirt with a lesbian slogan has sparked a protest at a school in Melbourne's northwest.

About 30 students at Strathmore Secondary College last week rallied behind Year 12 classmate Stephanie, 17, after she was told by teachers to change out of the T-shirt for school photos.

Stephanie, who did not want her surname published, said she had worn a T-shirt bearing the slogan "Nobody knows I'm a lesbian" to school on several occasions without concerns being raised by staff or fellow students.

"I've had it for ages," she said.

But she said things changed when she wore it on school photo day, sparking concern among Year 12 co-ordinators.

She was quickly asked to take the T-shirt off.

"They said it was because certain parents would complain," Stephanie said.

Her mother, Susan, said she had had the controversial T-shirt printed for her daughter when she was about 15.

Susan said her daughter was brave to wear the T-shirt in public and particularly at school.

"I'm proud of her," she said. "I love her and I don't care what she is."

Stephanie said she was disappointed by the school's request for her to remove the T-shirt, but understood the concerns.

She said she would wear the T-shirt to school again once the issue had calmed down.

The incident triggered a protest by other Year 12 students, who turned up at school wearing T-shirts with similar slogans. They included "Nobody knows I am bulimic", "Nobody knows I'm pregnant" and "Nobody knows I'm on steroids". The students said they found the request to Stephanie discriminatory and an attack on free speech.

Stephanie said she was shocked by the amount of support she had received.

"It's pretty cool I guess," she said.

The school declined to comment this week.

Source: Herald Sun
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
i think people in general, not just students, should be able to wear virtually anything (that isn't directly offensive, indecent, or otherwise puts one at bodily harm) whenever they want to...i think dress codes/limitations are a reinforcement of an archaic stereotyping system that society has been propagating subconsciously since the beginning of time...and i think it's unhealthy...people always say, "don't judge a book by it's cover." but isn't that what most do?..

it's interesting to think that a t-shirt like that sparked such controversy...i used to wear t-shirts with much more offensive logos, one of them can still be found at www.anti-social.com....another was a t-shirt that supported desert storm, showed an f-15 landed in the desert witht the pilot standing outside smoking a cigarette, sadam hussein was dead under a camel that was shot to shit and the caption read "i'd fly (so many thousand, i don't recall) miles to smoke a camel"...another one i had said "born to kill"...another which i still have shows a cartoon homeless flasher clown with a sock on his wang, torn up combat boots, a shabby trench coat, and balloons with sperms on them, on the back was "SUCKER" in giant lettering...

it's because her t-shirt pertained to homosexuality...but isn't this supposed to be the age of "it's okay to be gay"?...with the gay rights marches and stuff you'd think people would be a little less uptight about it...food for thought i guess...

SPyKE

SPyKE

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Body art/Modification.<br>Reading.<br>Being a [Helper] on Aardwolf MUD.<br>Ranting.<br>Skittles.
<_<

"Nobody knows I'm The Boogeyman"

:ph34r:

Heh, good on the kids for providing support. Thats what we like to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users