Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The RIAA is insane...now they have crossed the lin

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:oh so many to choose from<br>umm<br>boobies?
In an effort to ensure that nobody is sympathetic to it, the RIAA's filing to the US copyright office indicates that it does not support people being able to take their legally purchased CDs and copy that music onto their legally purchased iPod even if they are the only one using it.

Ripping music from CDs and transferring it to an iPod does not constitute fair use, according to a document filed by the major record companies.

In a filing to the US Copyright Office, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) attempts to undo a statement it made in court during the recent successful prosecution of the Grokster p2p company.

In court RIAA lawyer Don Verrilli said: 'The record companies have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod.'

However in the Copyright Office filing the RIAA takes a contrary view.

'Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization,' it argues. 'In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorisation, not about fair use.'

In other words, explained Fred von Lohmann, senior staff attorney for the EFF, a leading digital rights campaign organisation, if you want to copy a CD to your iPod, get permission first.

Linkage
:blink: :ph34r: :wizard:
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
Sooo...

You buy a cd, you make a back-up copy and you put it on your portable and you're the only one who is listening to it, and that is illegal...

What about music shops that (ghasp) sell cds and play demo reels/somgs from those cds to lure customers, or let customers listen to the content of the cd *before* purchase. (What happens if the customer doesn't like the music and decides not to buy the cd?)

More things to keep in mind, libraries with a multi-media section where you can borrow cds, radio stations that play music, elevator muzak... people randomly singing and humming known tunes...
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

The Ruined Saint

The Ruined Saint

The doctor is in...sane.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;And Switchblade Symphony. I totally love Switchblade Symphony. Tina Root is a delight. And Susan Wallace. Hmmmm... Susan. I'd sell my soul just to try and hump her leg. And if all I got from the effort was a swift kick, I'd die happy.
I'm glad this stink is over iPods. At least they have the good manners and sense to leave my Creative MuVo MP3 Player out of it.
"I am goth, hear me mope..."

As a matter of fact, yes, Switchblade Symphony is the greatest band ever.

Ruining MySpace since 2005.
Even more MySpace havoc for 2007!

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
well.....based on what they are saying...you can't "rip" a cd to a "storage" device

have a new walkman? well you can't listen to your cd in it...why? cause the walkman buffers the music into a chip...much like how an I Pod stores info....and then after a while plays..thus giving you "skip" free music....

well..atleast your bought and payed for CD's can be used as shiny coasters...and something to hang from your rear view mirror
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
Good thing they also left my sony network walkman out of it

(Bought before the rootkit scandal, and it runs within a protected no-internet access whatever environment)
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
I personally look forward to the RIAA sueing people over just opening a bought CD...you do realize that's comeing right?

I can actually see them wanting "walkman" to put in chips that will count and charge for each playing of a CD.

*shrug*

Where is that Fake News thread at? I've got a headline for it...

"68 year old woman charged for copyright violation by playing Music in Apartment complex"

Maebel told reports that she had no idea others could actually here he playing her RECORD player.
Q

The Ruined Saint

The Ruined Saint

The doctor is in...sane.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;And Switchblade Symphony. I totally love Switchblade Symphony. Tina Root is a delight. And Susan Wallace. Hmmmm... Susan. I'd sell my soul just to try and hump her leg. And if all I got from the effort was a swift kick, I'd die happy.

well..atleast your bought and payed for CD's can be used as shiny coasters...and something to hang from your rear view mirror

Have to go with the rear view mirror, option... Only the Blood Hound Gang CDs get used for beer coasters.
"I am goth, hear me mope..."

As a matter of fact, yes, Switchblade Symphony is the greatest band ever.

Ruining MySpace since 2005.
Even more MySpace havoc for 2007!

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
What about AOL free provided beermats?

psychophipps

psychophipps

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Well, they can have my MP3 player when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers... *redneck accent with sounds of chaw spit hitting the ground*

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
ummm the mp3 player isn't the issue....it's the stuff going on the mp3 player thats the issue.....
X32 1AR0
user posted image

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
Can we also ban *.txt files please? because those can contain illegal or persuasive content. (CAN, not always do)

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
Actually, I'd assume that using a CD for something other then playing music does not fall under fair use...so I'd reckon that if you made a shiny mobile or a coaster outta old CD's that you could get sued.

Stix

Stix

Grumpy Fucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
I don't think so..cause your not listening to the music encoded on the CD...there for your not upsetting the RIAA
it seems only when the encoded information is being accessed and stored is when the RIAA has a problem
X32 1AR0
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users