Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In Vermont, efforts to impeach Bush fan emotions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
By Jason Szep

NEWFANE, Vermont (Reuters) - Known for picturesque autumn foliage, colonial inns, maple sugar and laid-back villages, Vermont seldom makes much of an impact in national political debate.

But in one week, resolutions approved by five towns to impeach President George W. Bush are giving several sleepy Vermont communities a new, renegade image.

Not everyone is happy about it.

"We've got a lot of negative feedback -- letters coming in mail, e-mails, people telling us we're unpatriotic," said Maureen Albert-Piascik, treasurer of Newfane, a village of about 1,600 people which approved an impeachment article against Bush at its annual town meeting on March 7.

"All we were doing is exercising our freedom of speech," she said. "This little town can't be responsible for impeaching Bush, but everybody has the right to freedom of speech."

The residents' 121-29 vote at the town meeting called on the state's sole member of the U.S. House of Representatives, independent Rep. Bernie Sanders, to file articles of impeachment against Bush for misleading the nation on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and engaging in illegal wiretapping, among other charges.

"We've been let down by our politicians, by the media, so we really have to take things into our own hands," said Dan DeWalt, a 49-year-old woodworker and part-time teacher who drafted the impeachment call.

DeWalt's resolution inspired four other Vermont towns to do the same. "It struck a nerve," he said. "We need everyone in the country to consider, should we impeach the president."

Lenore Salzbrunn, a Republican who heads the Newfane Business Association, dismissed the impeachment resolution as a "tantrum" by just 10 percent of registered voters.

"We had a busload of people who they said they would not spend another dime in Newfane," he said. "They were so outraged. I've talked to about 80 people like that. People are saying things like 'Don't you realize we are at war?'"

OUTSIDE POLITICAL MAINSTREAM

The idea of impeaching Bush resides firmly outside the political mainstream. Wisconsin Sen. Russell Feingold's call this week to censure Bush -- a step short of an impeachment -- found scant support on Capitol Hill, even among fellow Democrats.

Harper's Magazine, a 158-year-old liberal publication, gave impeachment a push in a March cover story, and three of the 10 House members from Massachusetts signed a resolution calling for an investigation and possible impeachment of Bush.

In 2003, the city council in Santa Cruz, California voted to ask Congress to impeach Bush. Other California cities followed suit, including San Francisco last month. The declarations made local headlines, but even San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, joked about the minor national impact such calls have.

Bush, who says his domestic spying program is legal, has virtually no chance of being impeached due to a Republican majority in Congress, political analysts say.

Sanders, the Vermont congressman, said a far better goal is ending Republican dominance in Congress in November elections.

Bruce Harrington, a 73-year-old retired Newfane machinist who supported the impeachment vote, said he's had enough of Bush. He said the president is "just blowing money like it's going out of style."

Harrington said he cannot recall a bigger political fuss in Newfane, a heavily Democrat village founded by Puritan settlers in 1774 where most town meetings deal with routine issues such as electing school district officers.

DeWalt, who sports a graying beard and ponytail, is in his first year as a town selectman and says he is fielding calls from other towns on impeachment.

"Now I'm connected with people from across the country who are very methodically laying the groundwork to make this a reality, to make it not just a little pipe dream of a few wishful thinkers," he said.

Source: Reuters
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

The Ruined Saint

The Ruined Saint

The doctor is in...sane.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.<br><br>And Switchblade Symphony. I totally love Switchblade Symphony. Tina Root is a delight. And Susan Wallace. Hmmmm... Susan. I'd sell my soul just to try and hump her leg. And if all I got from the effort was a swift kick, I'd die happy.

"We've got a lot of negative feedback -- letters coming in mail, e-mails, people telling us we're unpatriotic," said Maureen Albert-Piascik, treasurer of Newfane, a village of about 1,600 people which approved an impeachment article against Bush at its annual town meeting on March 7.

Y'know, every time I hear or read somebody saying that being disgruntled with our leadership is unpatriotic, I want to sit them down with the Declaration of Independance and make them read it.

And read it.

And read it again.

Until they friggin' get it.

"Don't they realize that we are at war?"

Yeah. Bubbya's attempt to live up to his father's legacy, even attempting to up it by pronouncing his belief that his god wants that war and is on his side. We are at war because he lied to make it happen. Funny part is, the closest he's ever gotten to an actually war is playing with plastic guns as a kid in the back yards with his oil-rich buddies.

Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if this actually happens. But I was surprised when our nation of idiots re-elected the pinhead, too, so anything's possible.
"I am goth, hear me mope..."

As a matter of fact, yes, Switchblade Symphony is the greatest band ever.

Ruining MySpace since 2005.
Even more MySpace havoc for 2007!

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
in response to the original post and to ruined_saint's opinion i'd just like to say that clinton was impeached for less...

and at this point i think bush should be considered a war criminal...being that the leaders of the nazi party in germany were held responsible for the atrocities their underlings commited which they turned a blind eye to...i'd like everyone to really do some homework on what's going on in guantanamo bay in cuba...a place where america can't be held responsible for it's actions due to the fact that the cia claims that guantanamo is not american soil...torture, executions, anal rape of prisoners by guards...some of the shit going on there is as bad as what the jews had to endure at the hands of the nazis...

Sieg Heil!
Heil Bush!

bush is a rampant tyrant...i think he should spend the rest of his life in prison or face execution...

i mean come on, no two-bit third world eastern country would ever use nukes agains america...we alone posess more nuclear weapons than any other country on the face of the planet...and there's another issue...our government has NOT been complying with the nuclear treaty and disarming, in fact our government has NO intentions of ever disarming...

impeach the filthy bastard...then let him spend a week in the stockades...

:angry:

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
George Dubbya Bush

---------------------------------

Adolf Hitler

Thin line of difference between them, don't you think?
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
I prefer to keep the comparisons between (pre) WW2 and the current situation a little down, but i see your points, and bush is a little bit of a cheat when it comes to those things.

Would John Kerry have been better? I guess not, and we'll never know.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users