Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ohio Couple Lose Custody of Adopted Kids

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
By JOHN SEEWER
Associated Press Writer

NORWALK, Ohio (AP) -- A couple charged with abuse for forcing some of their 11 adopted children to sleep in cages were stripped of custody Monday, six months after a social worker discovered the enclosures.

Juvenile Judge Timothy Cardwell said there was a good chance Michael and Sharen Gravelle would mistreat the children again, citing a history of sexual abuse allegations against the father.

The couple have pleaded not guilty to several charges, including child endangerment, in a separate criminal case. They deny abusing the children, ages 2 to 15, and say the cages were necessary to protect the youngsters, who suffered from psychological and behavioral problems.

"They love their children. They want them back. They are truly devastated," said the couple's attorney, Kenneth Myers. He said they will appeal the ruling.

Sharen Gravelle testified that she met her husband in 1986 at a potluck dinner for a child sex abuse support group. She said her biological daughter had been molested by a previous husband, and Michael Gravelle was there because he was accused by his biological daughter of inappropriate touching. Michael Gravelle denies the accusation.

Prosecutors accuse the couple of locking the children in cages to discipline them. One child testified that he was forced to sleep in a bathtub as punishment for wetting the bed.

The children were removed from the home in September and placed with several foster families. Prosecutor Russ Leffler said the ruling stripping the Gravelles of custody "allows the children to be placed with good adoptive families."

Sharen Gravelle testified at an earlier custody hearing that she and her husband built bunk beds for the children and eventually added wire enclosures and alarms to help prevent them from wandering at night and getting dangerous kitchen utensils.

---

Associated Press Writer Connie Mabin in Cleveland contributed to this report.

Source: Associated Press
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Sounds to me like its either very, very, very bad kids, or some fucked up foster parents.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Qryztufre

Qryztufre

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place one smile at a time.
I think Syrius is right...

I've seen pure evil children...but then, I'd guess it was MOSTLY the parents...as there are other means of keeping children in check other then barbwire kiddie gates.
Q

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
if the kids are that fucked up they need to be in some sort of psychiatric institute...and as for the parents...well just sterilize them and put them in a psychiatirc institute as well...they want wire cages, they got 'em...drugs, they got 'em...

luke7

luke7

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Dude...like<br>totally
the sleeping in the bath thing...thats really not that bad...i did it once when i had too many friends round and i thought it would be fun....but then i was only 5 years old...and my mum did give me pillows and stuff....plus it was my descision to sleep in the bath...i had a strange up-bringing

Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • 339 posts
the childrens behaviour is always the result of the parenting, I mean my littlest brother is a holy terror, and thats because my mum lets him away with everything.....
Solitude's Angel

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
There should be a law making it where you need a license to have children................I'll expl,ain later. might make a thread about it.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users