Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

National Day of Silence

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
On June 26th, Second Shifters will not be broadcasting any musical content as it observes the National Day of Silence for internet broadcasters.

Due to a recent ruling by the copyright panel in the U.S., internet radio stations across the nation are due to receive a net increase in royalty rates of more than 300% take effect on July 15th of this year. To further add insult to injury, this royalty rate increase will be retroactively applied from January 2006, which will very promptly put many webcasters out of business.

Most online radio stations have a very difficult time generating any degree of revenue from their broadcasts, and only a handful are able to show any kind of profit over operating expenses, even at the current royalty rates. With the new rate applied, internet radio will no longer retain any ability to be profitable, and most stations will have to shut their doors to the general public.

While Second Shifters plans to stay in operation, even if the fee increase does go into effect, it is only because we are not a for profit organization, and we are willing to make sacrifices to keep bringing our music to your ears. Should the royalty hike continue, we may be forced to a point where we must limit the music we play to only those artists and labels that we have written permission from to broadcast; however, with your help, we don't believe it will need to come to that.

This is why we are asking you, on this National Day of Silence, to take the time you would normally spend listening to our station to contact your senators and representatives to tell them that you believe this increase is unfair, and will only result in shutting down the internet radio industry before it can really get started. Tell them that you support the Net Radio Equality act (which lowers internet radio royalty fees to the same rate as satellite radio companies are mandated to), and that you would appreciate it if they would fulfill their duties in congress by representing their constituents and voting to pass the act.

To contact your congressman or congresswoman in the House of Representatives you can go to:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

To contact your senators you can go to:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_info...enators_cfm.cfm

If at all possible, try to call their offices directly or send them a physical letter, as opposed to email, as full to capacity phone lines and huge stacks of paper mail make a much bigger impression.

Should you like to learn more about the royalty hike set to go into effect on July 15th or the National Day of Silence, you can visit SaveNetRadio.org for details.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Spider

Spider

The Forum Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:IM me and we will chat.
Isn't this the cat's ass..
An it harm none, do what thou wilt.
-Wiccan's Rede

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.
This makes me crankyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

ViusSolaris

ViusSolaris

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 162 posts
What a sad thing to do. :(

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
SOURCE:
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/Entertain...showbyline=True

Teenagers and young adults are turning away from conventional radio, probably so they can listen to digital music players and online music, according to a new study from Statistics Canada.

CBC Arts
Teens aged 12 to 17 listened to a mere 7.6 hours a week of radio, according to a survey taken in fall 2006.

That's down from 8.6 hours in 2005 and 11.3 hours in 1996.

The trend away from radio listening seems to reflect a preference for music on digital players such as iPods or new music heard over the internet, Statistics Canada said.

Among young adult men aged 18-24, listening fell to 13.7 hours a week from 15.1 in 2005, and young women listened to only 14.6 hours a week, down from 15.4.

By comparison, the average Canadian tuned into the radio for 18.6 hours a week.

Senior women continued to be the most frequent radio listeners, saying they had the radio on for 22.7 hours per week, while senior men listened to 19.5 hours.

CBC Radio was the most popular station for senior men and women across Canada, and least popular among young adults.

The most popular radio formats vary widely across the country, with Albertans more likely to listen to country and golden oldies, and Newfoundland and Labrador residents most likely to choose talk radio.

Overall, adult contemporary music was still the first choice of Canadians on the radio, capturing 22.3 per cent of listeners, followed by golden oldies, with 13.9 per cent.

The CBC was third place in overall format ranking in 2006, with an 11.6 per cent share of the total listening audience. It rebounded from 2005, when a labour disruption reduced its share of listeners to less than nine per cent.

British Columbians and Nova Scotians are particularly keen on their CBC stations, with about 17 per cent of the audience in those provinces tuning in.

Edited by SanctuaryRTBH, 26 June 2007 - 05:51 PM.

Posted Image

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

ValgadisRTBH

ValgadisRTBH

Bartholemew and the Oobleck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Music of nearly every genre.
I knew it was coming but man does it still suck... :unsure:
Reason and Logic are my Sword and Shield
Unreasoned Faith is my Dragon
Blind belief is a dangerous plague
Do you bend for the truth?
Or force it to bend for you?

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
I was hoping .. like every other government issue...

it would take 2 decades to sort out.

but nooooooooooooo

I a Cranky Canuk.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

kyhoti

kyhoti

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Renaissance Festivals, Scottish Highlands Games, chainmaile armor, dark tunes (duh), living a double life (hehheh), knives, swords, The Kingdom of Drakkar, finding new friends under rocks, finding new rocks, pop rocks, pop goes the weasel
After returning from the dead (almost two years), I WOULD resurrect on this of all days........I should have stayed in the ground until this had passed, but now I'm pissed enough to contact the shiftless fuckers who try to call themselves my "representatives"

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
So from the link provided by sanctuary i understand that the revenue from "old school/airwave" radio is getting a little less than preferred, so the newcomer (internet radio) has to pay for the loss, and why not make the payment so big that they can't run any profit at all? they will pass away and then old radio will rule again. (and of course with much better government and music industry dictatio..., erm, i mean regulation of the content)

Yes, brave new world, new things must die etc.
I'm not in the US, and this is kept a little silent on our side in europe, for me contacting the US government is a little iffy.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
@kyhoti

Wb and :wizard: right on.

@ Dirk
mmmmmm hmmmmm.. exactly.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users