Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do Bad Boys get more Girls?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
Okay, I'm a helpless addict to my Slashdot RSS feed, I'll admit it. But, when they linked to this article, I thought it was worth posting here as I think it might be worth some discussion.

The study found that those who scored higher on the dark triad personality traits tended to have more partners and more desire for short-term relationships, Jonason reported at the Human Behavior and Evolution Society meeting in Kyoto, Japan, earlier this month. But the correlation only held in males....

This observation seems to hold across cultures. David Schmitt of Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois, presented preliminary results at the same meeting from a survey of more than 35,000 people in 57 countries. He found a similar link between the dark triad and reproductive success in men. "It is universal across cultures for high dark triad scorers to be more active in short-term mating," Schmitt says. "They are more likely to try and poach other people's partners for a brief affair."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1982..._mg19826614.100

Now, I do have to give my own little counter theory to this as well: I think that in a lot of cases, when studying things of this nature, you're going to get a lot more of the people with 'dark triad personality traits' that will both more easily admit to having sex where some may not and will often times exaggerate the numbers for the sake of ego.

However, given the broadness of the study and the number of people they used for a test pool, does my counter theory still hold up? What do you think the reality is of the situation, based on your own experiences in life?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.
Bad boys do get more girls - I'd say yes - why? Because they are skilled manipulators that usually end up preying on younger, highly sensitive or weaker females.

However they don't usually sustain lasting relationships (as the article pointed out) - usually ever - and when they do - they are often with the wrong sorts.

Nearly every guy I've met like this has ended up with someone who can manipulate 1000 times better than he can. Making even the lasting relationships complete drama and not based on anything that is real, at least in my humble opinion and witnesses. Though some do come to the realisation at some point that that's not a healthy way to live.

Thing is - I dislike the type - not because they are promiscuous - to each their own really in that depratment - but I hate manipulation. It's one of the lowest forms of anything ever. Especially when dealing with intimate or emotional matters. (Manipulation can have some positive uses - but they are rare circumstances - and there is almost always a alternative route to take.)

Frankly I'd much rather know the person - then know the person's 'representative'. There isn't anything "real" in it otherwise.
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
Hm...bad boys get more, huh? Guess I should flip people off in public more often. B) I do agree with the study, though. People I've known that've been the 'fuck you' type (even more than me, which isn't hard :blink: :lol: ) or've been the goth/emo/whatever type seem to have gone through more girlfriends than Ellen Degeneres.

Forgive the short reply here...not feeling in a particularly talkative mood right now. :ph34r:

Edited by Shattered Skulls, 24 June 2008 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Guest_Tozzy_*

Guest_Tozzy_*
  • Guests
It's not a question of whether the bad boys get the girl, it's a question of whether they keep the girl.

Bad boys get more girls because they suck at keeping them.

Simple really :)

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Haha. So that's my problem. ROFL

Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
I'm a "bad boy" and I easily keep my women. My longest lasting relationship was five years. My current relationship is two plus years and she's due to give birth in October.
On top of said facts, women are still lined up pining after me. It drives Rai crazy even though she knows I'm not the cheating sort.
I drink too much, I dabble with drugs, I'm seedy, I keep seedy company, I get into fights and maim people, host huge parties that tend to get out of hand, intimidate pub security, I've a short temper, and I don't hesitate to tell people exactly what I think or how I feel.
On the other hand, however, I'm sensitive, romantic, sincere, reliable, I don't have a criminal record, I was a Senior Boyscout, I'm an excellent cook, I work as hard as my father and grandfather did, and I'm true to my word.
One should never judge a book by it's cover and in my experience most "bad boys" are just wannabes glomming onto an image that was set forth in years prior by short tempered, versatile, assholes: Just like me.
It's true though, good girls like bad boys. :)

Guest_Tozzy_*

Guest_Tozzy_*
  • Guests
I think you're not the 'bad boy' that they're describing though. You have one thing that their 'bad boys' don't have. The 'other hand' part.

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
"Good, Bad - I'm the guy with the gun"

But yeah, I'm more or less living proof that the article is right, I'm your typical Mr Nice Guy and not so very happy single.

(Warning! Rant coming up)

I've seen the bad guys taking the girls more often and not treating them right in my opinion. However, if said girl is dropped by mr bad guy, she complains about it at mr nice guy, he never seems to go as far and be as daring as mr bad guy, but he is still alive to complain to.

The whole bad guy thing might be easy for me to pull off if i wanted, but I'm both blessed and cursed with morals, a brain i can use properly and I'm raised to be a decent person, so far so good you'd think.

Yeah, it's good all right, until you end up with a manipulative bastard (both female or male, whatever applies) and you end up rebuilding the best part of your life with whats left of it.

People like nice people, I'm convinced that behavior (eventually) reflects and if you are nice, you will be treated nice.

Enki, congratulations in becoming a father!
Make sure your child and wife will be proud of you.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Yeah. Make 'em proud. :) Give your child something to write about in those "My Dad Does This" classes. :D

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users