Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Passion?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
What's passion? Define it for me. And don't give the me the dictionary definition or tell me to figure it out for myself, either. What does passion mean? What is it, exactly? What drives it? What makes it what it is?

...guess this is kind of a soul-searching type bullcrap topic...I don't know. I just thought it belonged here.

Edited by Shattered Skulls, 25 July 2008 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
I think that for me passion (whether for another person or for a concept) is something that you will never tire of.

Sure, you might have to sleep every so often and do other things for the sake of survival (and sanity), but whenever you come back to it, it always just 'fits' with you in such a way that you can be happy while you're with it.

As for what drives it, that's one of those I'm not really sure on. I think that one way or another, our passions are coded into us. Now, whether that's in our DNA, our upbringing, or something inside our souls, I can't really say for sure, but one thing that I will say is that I think a good way to glimpse a person's soul is by looking at their passions.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
I see...I guess that kind of makes sense, in a way. I'm always playing video games too much, both online and offline. LOL

What are others' thoughts on this? I hate just hearing from one person. :)

Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Still haven't heard from anyone else in this. What does passion mean to you?

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

MythHorn

MythHorn

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Passion.....

Passion is what makes life worth living - what keeps us from being automons going through the motions.

It is a desire, a goal, an interest - that motivates you in some way to change yourself while seeking it.

Music is just a group of tones without passion - boring. Passion is what gives to music its meaning. A good musician is technically adept with his instrument - a great musician is technically adept with his/her instument and has passion for his/her music. I am primarily a rock/metal fan - but am willing (and enjoy) listening to most types of music as long as the performers have passion. Well - maybe not gangsta rap :P - but most everything else.

To me - that is passion.
It is never too late to be what we might have been. - George Eliot

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - author unknown

The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything. - Theodore Roosevelt

Life is never easy for those who dream. - Robert James Waller

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. - Anais Nin

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
LOL Yeah...gangsta rap is...well, gansta rap. XD

I'd throw in my own two cents' worth, but I guess I'm kinda struggling for what passion really is to me, y'know? I feel like what people say teenagers are - confused and sometimes lost - and I'm 24. That's not good.

Anyway, like I said...that's kinda why I started this topic. Anyone else?

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.

...guess this is kind of a soul-searching type bullcrap topic...I don't know. I just thought it belonged here.

Why the word passion? Why that word?

I'll give you one of the best quote I've seen written. (Thank you Joss once again.)

"Passion.

It lies in all of us.

Sleeping... Waiting

and though unwanted, unbidden. It will stir ...open it's jaws, and howl.

It speaks to us. Guides us. Passion rules us all.

And we obey.

What other choice do we have?

Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief.

It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank.

Without passion... we'd truly be dead."

At times it is the everything that drives us. Sometimes it's the thing that makes it worth getting up in the morning for. Sometimes - it's a force inside of us that can brng us to our knees. In good ways - and in bad.

Simply put - it's a force - a force that can go either way.

I'd throw in my own two cents' worth, but I guess I'm kinda struggling for what passion really is to me, y'know? I feel like what people say teenagers are - confused and sometimes lost - and I'm 24. That's not good.

Sometimes I still get lost in the dark. I think the trick is just to keep going - even if you have no clue where that is.

It's often not "good" or "bad" to be lost. To find out who you really are and what you're made of - I think at first you have to be lost. Discovery is a gift.
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Hm.

Well, it's like...I think I 'enjoy' things here and there, but I don't really have anything that's 'real', y'know? Something that I'd truly die for if it came down to it. Maybe I'm just yellow. I feel blind and deaf and adrift in the middle of the ocean. I think I've felt that way for some time...hence the question. Maybe I can find my own answers in others'; that was the original thought, anyway...

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

Mana

Mana

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 0 posts
Passion, for me, is the feeling of fuel, not fire. Fire is all well and good, but without the fuel, fire dies. Passion is what keeps the fire going, by feeding it. I think where a LOT of people get messed up in this life is when they believe the fire is the passion, and put all their lot behind it, ignoring the vital fuel. A brilliant fire may be all well and good, but if there is nothing that can sustain it over time, it will die, and you'll be left cold.

Passion is the air I breathe, feeding the fires of my soul.
"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." William Ernest Henley

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
... :o

That was absolutely beautiful. Very poetic.

*Falls in love.*

:)

Really, though...it was.

I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger at present; I've only got a few pages left in the book, so I hope to finish it before I get to work tomorrow morning (I work at the campus library). I just read something in the book a short while ago (earlier this evening, like maybe a half-hour or so ago) that I think is right along the lines of what Mana just said. Mr. Antolini is talking to the narrator and is trying to help him out; basically, he and I are the same right now: we don't know what we want, which path to take, yada yada yada. Anyway, he's talking to him and he quotes this friend of his, a psychoanalyst only referred to the one time (thus far); he isn't actually a named char in the book. Here's what he said:

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

I think that kind of ties in with what you were saying, doesn't it, Mana? I don't know...I guess I could say I'm a rebel without a cause, but I'm not much of a rebel; I was always a nerd in school - hell, I'm still a nerd (big time). But, like...the narrator and I are in the same boat, I think. We both just need a road sign - which brings me back to the topic at hand:

What is passion to you?

Edited by Shattered Skulls, 14 October 2008 - 12:14 AM.

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

Lady Opheliac

Lady Opheliac

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music...<br />Art...<br />Music...<br />Theatre...<br />Music.
Passion for me is music. I kind of don't know how to explain it, but if I hear a really good piece of music my heart skips a beat, I can play it over and over again without ever tiring of it. However if I go without it for a while I start longing for it, my heart drops and I feel empty, this i think may be obsession.

Passion = Something you love, shall never tire of, and have a deep disire for it.
(ish.. i'm not too good at this stuff)

Music keeps me grounded, and i can always come back to it, even if i feel like i'm in the middle of an ocean without land in sight.
"And still the statues cry, the queen bee flies...
we try our damndest to explain the reasons why and how and when and where...
we're getting nowhere. No doors deep inside this corridor
of space and time... if space and time exist.
Oh we'll persist, if we exist. Are you listening?" - The Legendary Pink Dots

TheArtOfSuicide dA VictorianQueen's tweets

Gabriel

Gabriel

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes my body move to the sound of the music. It makes my wings spread out so i can fly. I'd rather fly in doors.

Burn is the name and magic is my game, I'm a summoner of many things but angels; they don't like what I'm doing.

My name, i really do like my REM name only because Caz (that's what the beginning of his name sounds like) named me out of spite for his brother because the Arc Gabriel, no matter how much he curses the human race and kills us off one by one, he is still accepted by God as his Death Angel.

Passion = Something you love, shall never tire of, and have a deep disire for it.
(ish.. i'm not too good at this stuff)

I agree with you on that one not the last part but the beginning of it.... :D

Passion for me is Magic...
I guess you can say Passion for magic is a rush for me.
Its like a drug you get your high from.

I cant go one day with out casting or bending something.
I think it's because I'm scared of losing my abilities is why i created this passion of mine.

For me my habit is my passion and that passion is what i don't want to lose touch of.....
May be that's what passion really is......BUT............IDK.....

Maybe we need to find that sense of passion to feel whole and with out some kind of passion
we don't know who or what we are.....i could be wrong.......but I don't know that's how i feel on what passion is for me.

MEOW

"Time comes when the the cold sets in and puts Gods work into a deep Coma like slumber, this my friends is called death and it could never be oh so beautiful this time of the year."

Tomorrow is another day to find out if your going to die or not, better get to work
before Dark angel of death comes back for more than just his redemption's.

Final thought for the day:

Did you know that President Obama signed his stimulus package at the same desk where President Clinton got his package stimulated?

~ Azriel's daughter

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts

It is horrible how so many people view islam to be such an ugly and horrible religion. Almost if not all religions have had a bloody past for not living up to the prescribed moral values of the people who try to control the population in the name of "god". Although there is still a lot of cultural violence in the middle east it is important that we remember that most forwarded emails are the root of office boredom and are widely circulated because of such. Office work does suck.

LOL Meow? :P

Hm...A lot of good answers. Some really great answers, actually. Who was that quote from, Sanctuary? Anyway...I don't know what else to say now. :blink:

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users