Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Peter Jackson, you suck.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
This could go under either books or movies, so I wasn't sure which one to put it under. Admins, feel free to move this to wherever you deem fit.

I am now severely disappointed with what I previously thought was a spectacular trilogy. When watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I knew there were things that were wrong even without listening to the countless debates about whether or not Peter Jackson (who directed all three films) had ever actually read the books. However, I haven't read the trilogy in a long time. Upon rereading The Fellowship of the Ring, in which I am presently up to the part where Frodo and the other two hobbits have just reached the Farmer Maggot's land and been heartily greeted by him (via Pippin), I have discovered that the movies are thus far so totally different from the books that it's a wonder they were such a success. Perhaps they were mostly a success with the people who aren't old-school, die-hard fans of Tolkein like me and a number of other people I happen to know, but the differences (at least in my mind) are inexcusable.

For one thing, the movie version of The Fellowship of the Ring made Frodo seem like a bumbling idiot much younger than he actually was. In truth, everything that was said in Moria at the point where they reached those three tunnels was said the day after Gandalf had returned, not the night of, in Frodo's home in Bag End. On top of that, the movie made it seem as though Pippin and Merry came much later than written in the book; in the book, Pippin accomanied Sam and Frodo. There has (at the point I've now reached) been no mention of Merry traveling with them as yet. Also, though it wasn't specifically stated, I got the impression that Gandalf had returned right away to speak with Frodo about the ring in the movie; he didn't return for that until around twenty years after Bilbo's party in the book. Oh, and did I mention that Gandalf had him waiting at the inn at the Prancing Pony in the movie? He sent Frodo directly to Rivendell in the book.

I understand that movies must be shortened, but geez whiz. If all movies differed this much, no one would watch them (or perhaps they would, but they wouldn't read the books).

What are your thoughts on the books versus the movies? Any major beefs?

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.

This could go under either books or movies, so I wasn't sure which one to put it under. Admins, feel free to move this to wherever you deem fit.

What, you actually think we know what we're doing? Awee you're so sweet!!!! :D

I'm actually going to come at this from a filmers standpoint. Since - well - that's what I'll always be at my very core.

I can't disagree that there are a lot of pieces in that film that are wrong or are misplaced or incorrect but the thing to keep in mind is that the series is a hell of a lot of writing!

I can't speak for Jackson, I can only speak from a standpoint of someone who has a fair bit of experience with film.

Chances are he was trying to keep more to the "spirit" and "look and feel" of the peice then he was on completely literal accuracy.

For example all of the sets and images used were pretty much exactly as Tolkien described them for the most part. Watching it - I really felt he brought those written images to life. With film - that's gonig to be exceptionally important as it's purely a visual medium.

I know a lot had to be cut from that film as well and even with the cuts they were still long movies but in reality each could have been 3 times longer and still not encompassed the entire book(s). (I know you recognize that yourself.)

Now - also - a film has to be pitched. A high budget one like that is actually a major risk for the studios for a number of reasons. Two of the biggest are theses 1. They have to please the fan base of those books and 2. They have to appeal to those who've not read them at all.

Often studios will try to appease the ones that they feel will be the vast majority of the sales.

I can promise you that Jackson had to fight the studios like hell for a number of things. Making a film is like going to war with creativity and money. It's insane.

Does that make some sense to you as why sometimes have to happen in film the way they do? At lease in part?
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts

What, you actually think we know what we're doing? Awee you're so sweet!!!! :D

XD!! LMFAO :P

Yeah, it does. I get it. Really, I do. But getting a few things wrong here and there is one thing; almost nothing matched up with what happened in the books save for some of the words and events.

My thought is that they could have had Gandalf do a narration like the one Bilbo did at the start of the movie. Maybe something like:

"A score of years has now passed since last I met with the Hobbits. Much has taken place that has changed this world. Now the danger grows, and it may well be the smallest of folk who make the greatest changes yet to be seen in Middle Earth."

And then it shows Gandalf showing up and going through the one night (which would only take a minute or two of filming) and then cutting to the next day when all is explained. Maybe they could have cut some of the dialogue at that point, but at least they could have gotten the major dialogue in.

That's just one example of how it could have been done better. Like I said, I do get it; I just don't think it was done very well in relation to the books themselves. :/

Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Okay, time to bring out the geek. I for one am incredibly offended with the entire Harry Potter movie series thus far. The way they mixed up events, and the deeds or verbal accounts of other characters. they totally screwed up Dobby, AND (how they could do this to a annoying but semi-important character, i don't know) they completely left out Peeves the poltergeist. Also torwards the end of the first movie before Harry saves the stone, they did not even think to add in Snape's part of gaurding the stone, ya know the riddle on the peice of parchment and the row of different bottles, some poisen, some wine, one to send back, one to send forward.
Oh, and lets not forget that in the fifth movie it has them all riding brooms to the ministry, when some, were in fact, on THESTRALS. that is to just name what i could off the top of my head.

Also, i don't know if there are any Inheritance Cyle fans here, but they also butchered the Eragon movie in comparrison with the book. Deplorable work.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
I actually haven't read Eragon, though I wouldn't mind doing so. I just don't want to get into another series right now, not halfway through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Anyway, the scene with the potions and such was one of my biggest beefs, but even more than that, THEY LEFT OUT PEEVES.

GAWD, you'd think they'd at least be able to get SOMETHING right. <_<

Also, I don't think they should have changed who played Dumbledore. The first one played a much better Dumbledore (sorry, I forget names easily). But that's a minor point conpared to some of the other grievances.

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
They had no choice about changing who played Dumbledore, the original guy died. He did do a much better job tho.

My biggest beefs with the Potter movies have mostly come up with the last couple. I mean, there's tons of stuff that annoys be about the first three, but that last one really ticked me off. I'm not even sure if I'm going to watch the rest of them when they come out. Just, ugh.
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Oh. I didn't know he died; I just know they switched after a couple of movies and it irritated me. <_<

Anyway, I'll admit I haven't watched all the movies. I've seen one through four and I own one, two, and three...but I'm not rich enough to buy the rest -_- But yeah...typically, they don't seem to know what in the hell they're doing. <_<

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users