Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

People want to play games..

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

Hmm.... Has anything really embarrassing ever happened to you on a date? If so, what happened?

I'll take a truth too.

Actually I don't think so - scary creepy yes.

Oh wait wait.

David!! - how could I forget this!

He and I were always a comedy of disaster nearly every single time we were together.

My first sorta date with him - I was terrified, yet I knew him for quite some time, yet I was always nervous around him. He finally got me to go to this one restaurant I swore I would never go to - but - it was Easter, I was thousands of miles from home and it was my first Easter alone with no family and I barely knew anyone. (I met DAvid here - he was a local boy.) His family weren't celbration for a few days. So.... this place was the only thing open.

I tripped over the strap of my bag, dragged it with my foot caught in it - could get it to let go of me and flew headlong towards the floor. Now, he did catch me - but - gah - nothing like doing that in a packed restaurant and have the place go silent. Go me!

Yeah - klutz!

Oh and lets not forget the name of the restaurant. Most important part...

*COUGHS*

Fudruckers.

No - I - am - not - kidding.

For you - the geekiest thing you've ever made. :D

I pick - truth again lol I'm not brave enough for dare yet. Sooonnnn sooonn

Aww. Don't worry. We're all klutzy sometimes. Trust me, I know I have been :)

Geekiest thing I've ever made.... hmmm... I think that's a two way tie. I think that would have to be... Igor.

Igor... well, he takes some explaining.

When I was in high school I wasn't exactly the most social person in the world. (Okay, you caught me, I'm still not... which is really kind of funny when you think about the fact that I co-admin an online radio station... but that's a tale for another time). Anywho, because I wasn't good at interacting with people in person, but felt very comfortable around computers, I did what a lot of nerds back then did. I started chatting online in IRC rooms.

The one I frequented most was called #XPA, short for X-Philes Anonymous, where many an X-Files fan could be found at almost all hours of the day. Sadly though, #XPA was on the verge of shutdown because Fox no longer wanted to maintain the server it was hosted on themselves, and this was going to leave the tightly knit group of people I had spent so much time with without a place to gather together online. (This was before there were a lot of resources available for chatting, and back when ICQ was the only Instant Messenger that you could use if you weren't an AOL subscriber).

In an effort to keep the community together, I started doing a lot of research on what it would take to run our own IRC server, dedicated purely to that one room. Most of what I ran into talked about Linux, and I knew instantly I was in way over my head in that department. Luckily, I stumbled onto a server program called IRCPlus that you could run on almost any Windows computer. It cost $100 to buy normally, which was way out of my budget, but with a student discount, I was able to get a 100 user license for only $50.

Then came the next problem. I was on a dial-up connection with only one phone line in the house. IRC servers don't take up much bandwidth if you're only running one small channel, so speed wasn't an issue, but something told me that my parents might be just a tad upset with me if I had the phone line tied up 24/7. As luck would have it though, my girlfriend at the time was living with a couple that had managed to get setup with one of the very first cable internet hookups in Chicago. At a whopping 128k down and 64k up, it was a geek's dream come true.

But... there was still an obstacle. The computer at their house was one they used for work and running a server on it just wasn't an option when they needed to do other things with the machine. My job at Dominos Pizza wasn't going to fit the bill for buying a new machine to use as a server either, so... it was time to get a little unconventional.

I went dumpster diving.

And... gold was struck. By gold, I mean a Pentium 75 IBM desktop computer with all the parts present. The machine wouldn't turn on at all when I got home with it, but after using some of the parts from my other computer to test with, it turned out that only one part in the machine was bad - the power supply. And it was this bad power supply that led to the birth of Igor.

I needed to find a new power supply for the system (so I could still use my main computer), but a quick call to IBM told me that buying a replacement from them was going to be extremely expensive. A far cheaper route would be getting a generic power supply and using that instead. All the connections on the motherboard were standard, so there wouldn't be compatibility issues... at least not with the motherboard or any of the drives in the machine. However, there was one compatibility issue that wasn't quite so easy to get around...

The generic power supply wouldn't fit inside the case. Well, correction, the power supply fit just fine... if you never wanted to use the cover. Given my budget, running the box without a cover was really my only option, but because of the case design, the 'cover' included not just the part that went over the top and sides of the case, but also the front panel with the plastic buttons you used to eject floppy disks and turn the machine on.

In the end, the machine looked like a bunch of circuit boards thrown inside an open steel case and held together with duct tape and bubble gum. Turning the thing on or ejecting a floppy disk meant you had to stick a screwdriver into a hole on what you could only guess was once the front of the case. Topping all that off was the fact that for reasons I'm still not entirely sure of, if you happened to plug in the wrong combination of power supply connectors to the drives in the machine, you would get a short and the entire machine would burst into a huge pillow of smoke almost instantly. Once you switched the cables around a little, everything would work fine again, but it made for some very panicked moments when putting the thing together or when moving around drives.

Finally, the machine was ready for formatting. Windows asked me a question I wasn't quite prepared for though. It asked me to give the machine a name on the network. I looked at the machine and thought... then I looked at it again... and well... Igor just seemed an appropriate name for the Frankenstein's monster of computer that I had created.

*/rant*

And hmmm... A truth question...

I'll follow suite a little here just for fun (and because I'm having trouble coming up with a good one):

What is the geekiest think that you're interested in?

*debates with himself* Okays, I'll take the plunge. Let me have a Dare :)
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Geekiest thing I've ever made.... hmmm... I think that's a two way tie. I think that would have to be... Igor.

Igor... well, he takes some explaining.

When I was in high school I wasn't exactly the most social person in the world. (Okay, you caught me, I'm still not... which is really kind of funny when you think about the fact that I co-admin an online radio station... but that's a tale for another time). Anywho, because I wasn't good at interacting with people in person, but felt very comfortable around computers, I did what a lot of nerds back then did. I started chatting online in IRC rooms.

The one I frequented most was called #XPA, short for X-Philes Anonymous, where many an X-Files fan could be found at almost all hours of the day. Sadly though, #XPA was on the verge of shutdown because Fox no longer wanted to maintain the server it was hosted on themselves, and this was going to leave the tightly knit group of people I had spent so much time with without a place to gather together online. (This was before there were a lot of resources available for chatting, and back when ICQ was the only Instant Messenger that you could use if you weren't an AOL subscriber).

In an effort to keep the community together, I started doing a lot of research on what it would take to run our own IRC server, dedicated purely to that one room. Most of what I ran into talked about Linux, and I knew instantly I was in way over my head in that department. Luckily, I stumbled onto a server program called IRCPlus that you could run on almost any Windows computer. It cost $100 to buy normally, which was way out of my budget, but with a student discount, I was able to get a 100 user license for only $50.

Then came the next problem. I was on a dial-up connection with only one phone line in the house. IRC servers don't take up much bandwidth if you're only running one small channel, so speed wasn't an issue, but something told me that my parents might be just a tad upset with me if I had the phone line tied up 24/7. As luck would have it though, my girlfriend at the time was living with a couple that had managed to get setup with one of the very first cable internet hookups in Chicago. At a whopping 128k down and 64k up, it was a geek's dream come true.

But... there was still an obstacle. The computer at their house was one they used for work and running a server on it just wasn't an option when they needed to do other things with the machine. My job at Dominos Pizza wasn't going to fit the bill for buying a new machine to use as a server either, so... it was time to get a little unconventional.

I went dumpster diving.

And... gold was struck. By gold, I mean a Pentium 75 IBM desktop computer with all the parts present. The machine wouldn't turn on at all when I got home with it, but after using some of the parts from my other computer to test with, it turned out that only one part in the machine was bad - the power supply. And it was this bad power supply that led to the birth of Igor.

I needed to find a new power supply for the system (so I could still use my main computer), but a quick call to IBM told me that buying a replacement from them was going to be extremely expensive. A far cheaper route would be getting a generic power supply and using that instead. All the connections on the motherboard were standard, so there wouldn't be compatibility issues... at least not with the motherboard or any of the drives in the machine. However, there was one compatibility issue that wasn't quite so easy to get around...

The generic power supply wouldn't fit inside the case. Well, correction, the power supply fit just fine... if you never wanted to use the cover. Given my budget, running the box without a cover was really my only option, but because of the case design, the 'cover' included not just the part that went over the top and sides of the case, but also the front panel with the plastic buttons you used to eject floppy disks and turn the machine on.

In the end, the machine looked like a bunch of circuit boards thrown inside an open steel case and held together with duct tape and bubble gum. Turning the thing on or ejecting a floppy disk meant you had to stick a screwdriver into a hole on what you could only guess was once the front of the case. Topping all that off was the fact that for reasons I'm still not entirely sure of, if you happened to plug in the wrong combination of power supply connectors to the drives in the machine, you would get a short and the entire machine would burst into a huge pillow of smoke almost instantly. Once you switched the cables around a little, everything would work fine again, but it made for some very panicked moments when putting the thing together or when moving around drives.

Finally, the machine was ready for formatting. Windows asked me a question I wasn't quite prepared for though. It asked me to give the machine a name on the network. I looked at the machine and thought... then I looked at it again... and well... Igor just seemed an appropriate name for the Frankenstein's monster of computer that I had created.

*/rant*

And hmmm... A truth question...

I'll follow suite a little here just for fun (and because I'm having trouble coming up with a good one):

What is the geekiest think that you're interested in?

*debates with himself* Okays, I'll take the plunge. Let me have a Dare :)

That's a funny one. I wish I had thought of something like that, but oh well.

The geekiest thing I'll answer for the heck of it cause I actually have something that isn't gonna make people shudder in revulsion (but they may watch the skies).

I have constructed an actual working catapault that was able to fling cinder blocks a good 100 yards. Bitch to make using nothing but bamboo stalks (oddly enough in abundant supply in my backyard. someday i'll take a picture of the lot where I used to live. it's overgrown with bamboo now) and stolen boards from a half-burnt down house. The hard part was hiding it from the cops and neighbors. Such is the thinking of a drunken 13-year-old.... hehehe.

To Sanctuary and Atnevon, you each can draw a truth on me.
That should prove dangerous thinking......

Hmm... I dare you to french kiss your pet cats, you know you love them. *snicker*

Edited by starphoenixkoroias, 18 October 2008 - 12:57 AM.

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

ChaosRTBH

ChaosRTBH

Evil Mastermind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
due to a lack of energy to keep up, I say truth to the next 5 that wanna hit me as well
user posted image
you look pretty.......pretty tasty

"user posted image
I like burritos!!

user posted image"
I adopted a cute lil' ninja fetus
from Fetusmart! Hooray fetus!

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

The geekiest thing I'll answer for the heck of it cause I actually have something that isn't gonna make people shudder in revulsion (but they may watch the skies).

I have constructed an actual working catapault that was able to fling cinder blocks a good 100 yards. Bitch to make using nothing but bamboo stalks (oddly enough in abundant supply in my backyard. someday i'll take a picture of the lot where I used to live. it's overgrown with bamboo now) and stolen boards from a half-burnt down house. The hard part was hiding it from the cops and neighbors. Such is the thinking of a drunken 13-year-old.... hehehe.

To Sanctuary and Atnevon, you each can draw a truth on me.
That should prove dangerous thinking......

Hmm... I dare you to french kiss your pet cats, you know you love them. *snicker*

Silly question: how do you construct a catapult? I'm curious now.

For your dare, I licked all the kitties on the noses. That's about as close as I could come.

Hmm... a truth...

What made you start playing role playing games like Aard?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

• Members
  • 443 posts

Silly question: how do you construct a catapult? I'm curious now.

For your dare, I licked all the kitties on the noses. That's about as close as I could come.

Hmm... a truth...

What made you start playing role playing games like Aard?

Answer to silly question -- it's really all about making a large enough base to keep it steady and using ropes and tension to draw back the launch arm (ie, the "spoon" ) such that when you release the arm, it hurls an object on an arced trajectory. the amount of tension you put into it can increase the range somewhat. the crossbar that stops the launch arm needs to be strong enough to prevent the arm from tearing out the launch mechanism thus destroying the entire machine. it's alot like a bunch of pulleys holding back logs.
The ultimate nerd/geek project is making one with fuel injected launch devices....I have yet to obtain the parts though.

Now for the truth -- I loved video games as a kid. I loved watching cartoons. I loved reading. I had a really good imagination. One day I picked up the Legend of Zelda, and then read some Dungeons and Dragons books. I kinda put the two in my head together. Played D&D then graduated to online et al. I'm still into the old school stuff like the Wizardry series, Final Fantasy, and D&D (although nothing past the 2nd edition, the rest truly suck fungus-rotted parrot ass in my view). Aardwolf just brought the best of the worlds together for me. And of course since there's thousands of people there, it satisfies my need to torture minds (hey, infinite supply for infinite demand!)

Now that just leaves Sanctuary....

I'm surprised you kept it so tame Atnevon, with the myriad of possibilities that existed.....
Well, no second chances ph0r j00!!

style1,Starphoenix.png

I'm a good cook, really!

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

• Members
  • 443 posts
Huh..... interesting.

*whips out his Maximum-Militant-Super-Ultra-Defibrilator +10 vs Forums and applies it here*

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
can you say BZZZZZZZZZAP and CRACKABOOOOM ?!
*cackles maniacally*

whatever happened to this thread anyways? It was almost getting amusing

style1,Starphoenix.png

I'm a good cook, really!

Cyrus

Cyrus

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:Being the best husband and father I can be. Playing bass. Writing. Spending Money.
Seriously...I want a dare...might even take pics...
THE ENRAGED MONKEY!!!

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE AND MONKEYS DO TOO (if they've got a gun)

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.

Seriously...I want a dare...might even take pics...

Hmmm I dare you to take a picture of yourself drinking.... water! (Now .. be creative!)
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Scypher

Scypher

Thidwick the Big-Heated Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:I used to write lost my inspiration a long time., and i give up on it

Now i build Race cars, circle track and drag racing
    and i build off road trucks
How about Truth for me
It's better to die quick

Fighting on your feet

Than to live forever

Begging on your knees

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
Truth for Scy: Best thing you've done for yourself?

I'll take a truth and answer it when i get a chance. :)
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Scypher

Scypher

Thidwick the Big-Heated Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:I used to write lost my inspiration a long time., and i give up on it

Now i build Race cars, circle track and drag racing
    and i build off road trucks
THe best thing i've ever done. Hmmmm Probably would be When I let go of my first reall love. I still care for that person deeply but i also realized that While they claimed they loved me and wanted to be with me and so on, i always seemed to get hurt in the end while some how i always ended up being the bad guy in situation. thus leadin to a very selfdestructive life style of Stress Booze fightin booze and then some more booze another fight and a even more booze then a few nights in jail

so after that mess and some good friends giving me a good ass kicking i realized what the shit hole i was in and told that person i cared for so much to pretty much fuck off and die til you grow the hell up, and here i am now running a bussiness. and racing

Edited by Scypher, 26 March 2011 - 08:04 PM.

It's better to die quick

Fighting on your feet

Than to live forever

Begging on your knees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users