Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AIDS Cured in One Man

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

Doctors in Berlin are reporting that they cured a man of AIDS by giving him transplanted blood stem cells from a person naturally resistant to the virus.

But while the case has novel medical implications, experts say it will be of little immediate use in treating AIDS. Top American researchers called the treatment unthinkable for the millions infected in Africa and impractical even for insured patients in top research hospitals.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/health/1...&ei=5087%0A

Now, admittedly, this article is pretty pessimistic about the practicality of using this treatment on everyone with AIDS, saying that it's just much too expensive and hard to find donors, but I think this is still absolutely incredible news.

I'm not a doctor (what's the right acronym for that? IANAD? hmmm...), but to me this is saying that we might be lots closer to a vaccine to one of the most horrible diseases of our time... a situation well worth celebrating.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

DeathFey

DeathFey

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Anything Horror related really Books, Movies, or Music. Zombies seem to be my current favorite... Computers are fun as well although I've yet to learn half as much as I want to. Love learning new things. And I enjoy a little Urban Exploration.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/health/1...&ei=5087%0A

Now, admittedly, this article is pretty pessimistic about the practicality of using this treatment on everyone with AIDS, saying that it's just much too expensive and hard to find donors, but I think this is still absolutely incredible news.

I'm not a doctor (what's the right acronym for that? IANAD? hmmm...), but to me this is saying that we might be lots closer to a vaccine to one of the most horrible diseases of our time... a situation well worth celebrating.

Even if the cure that has been found isn't going to be used globally or frequently, it's still amazing to see that at least one person has been cured of that horrible disease.

Hopefully research will still continue in the right direction and a more available cure will be found.
"To know is nothing at all. To imagine is everything."
-Anatole France 1844-1924

"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly."
-Neil Gaiman

"I want a new planet to live on. A bunch of assholes broke mine."
- Logan DeAngelis

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
- Unknown

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Sweet, if they are one step closer to curing AIDS, that means man-kind has taken a leap forward
and is grounds for celebration. Who knows? maybe we might find a way to cure the common cold.......one day.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
Why can't they devise a method by which they may artificially synthesize the anti-bodies present in the pathogen resistant cells? Like they do for virtually any other conquered virus? Procure enough samples of the serum cells and research the potential for synthesis. Seems logical to me.

Also, I had read somewhere that the children who are born with AIDS that are able to survive until puberty have in some cases developed either "carrier" or complete immunity. I'll have to dig up that article. That's how Europeans became resistant to the Bubonic Plague.

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
:o !!

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users