Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Suicide Broadcast Online

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

A Florida teenager who used a webcam to live-stream his suicide Wednesday was reportedly encouraged by other people on the Web site, authorities told ABCNews.com.

"People were egging him on and saying things like 'go ahead and do it, faggot,' said Wendy Crane, an investigator at the Broward County Medical Examiner's office.
On a blog where Biggs wrote about his suicidal thoughts, which has since been removed, commenters wrote, "hahaha hahahahha hahahahahah ahhaha." Wired reported that someone else wrote: "Instant Darwinism ..." to which a fellow commenter wrote: "f**king a nicely put." Others called the teen a "coward," "faggot" and a "dick."

In the Web stream, Crane said viewers saw a piece of a door frame -- which had splintered from the police kicking in the teen's bedroom door -- hit Biggs, who is curled up on his bed and facing away from the camera.

"Then you see a police officer go in and check on him, and then the EMS pronounced him dead," said Crane.

Biggs was pronounced dead at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 19 -- about 12 hours after he had begun blogging about his suicide.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/MindMoodN...6126&page=1

There are absolutely no words I can come up with here that can possibly capture just how disgusted this makes me in every single person that was involved and did *nothing* to help him.

What kind of world are we living in where it takes 12 hours... 12 HOURS for someone to call the police to try to help this person?

If someone is in need, if they're threatening to kill themselves, be there for them, help them in any way you possibly can. Be a human being for ****'s sake. Have we really lost that much of our own humanity that we let something like this happen?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.
I'm going to play a little bit of devils advocate here. Just a tiny bit. (Not that I agree with what happened at all or how he was treated.)

However, sadly I've met a lot of people who say that to suicidal people. Sometimes I think it is because they are acting in a rather heartless manor - other times I've seen people so it as a weird twisted way of getting the person NOT to do it. (and no I don't understand the logic's in that at all.)

The hard thing here is that he had threatened it once before. So many users took this last time as a 'cry wolf'.
I'm not saying that this excuses them - but it does make it a little more understandable for some of them not to have reacted.

The ones that were just name calling and being belligerent - I have issues with that. When a person is in pain that's not how to respond. And even if this as a 'cry wolf' scenario the fact that he was saying those things should have tipped people off enough to know that something was wrong and someone should have taken the time to talk to him.

One thing I do know all to well is that the longer you can keep a suicidal person talking the less likely it is that they will harm themselves.

Have we lost a lot of our humanity? In some ways, yes we have. In many ways people have become simply very self serving. We have more sociopaths and psychopaths today then ever before. The value systems of days gone by have continually dropped as there is no one there to reach them anymore.

What's 'right' often ends up being "what's best for me" attitude.

Sad state of affairs really.
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
90% of them probably thought someone else had called the police about it.

This isn't nearly as unusual as it may seem to some. What's worse, to me, is the cases that happen in cities everywhere on a regular basis. They hear a cry for help from outside their building, and don't do anything. They don't even look out their windows to see what the problem is, much less call the police. There is a documented case used in alot of psych classes (sadly I've forgotten teh city and the time period) where a crowd of over 20 people saw a woman mugged and stabbed, right in front of them, and no one did a thing. They all just stood there. It's that "someone else will" thing. That's why if you need help in a city, cry FIRE! Everyone's paranoid about that, and someone's more likely to call 911.

As for the suicide, many people who say they are going to are just looking for attention. He appeared to be one, since he'd already threatened it before. This is why, with some, they suggest the weird therapy of telling them to do it, go ahead, just get it over with. They aren't really wanting or planning to, they just want the attention from the therapist (BTW: it should only be a qualified therapist who pulls this, as they are the ones who should be able to tell if they are the attention seeker or if they are serious). By telling them that they're right, no one cares, they might as well be dead, it can often shock them out of it. Again, don't try this yourself.
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

s.a.b

s.a.b

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts
Episodes like this and the 48 year old mom in St.Louis who helped coach her 13 year old neighbor to commit suicide on myspace just shows me one thing...today's society (especially on the internet) is plagued with ignorant self centered people who only care about themselves and find pleasure or humor in somebody else's pain and suffering.

atinuj1313

atinuj1313

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 11 posts
Where are the parents now? Shouldnt they be monitoring thier children. Knowing their teenager and seeing the classic signs for a need of help, where are the friends or the teachers that will pull kids aside and make sure everything is ok? The world is so wrapped up in themselves it isnt even funny. I would rather bug the police 800 times than to let someone die and just sit there and watch it happen. There are some really sick people out there and its not right that they should let a kid die. Suicide is rarely the answer and a lot of innocent people are affected by it every day

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Okay. He had been blogging about it for a while, that tells me he may have been seeking help. Obvioulsy he had some Serious deppression issues if was abusing Rx drugs, and when he was live-streaming his suicide obviously he had finally made up his mind to actually go through with it, and that last time he was looking for attention, help, someone to stop him. The guy needed HELP. Regardless of how many times he faked it in the past, you don't egg him on. Apparantly he had had enough. My question is Where The FUCK Was His Family?! And for 12 Fucking hours it was live on the internet, WHY did it take so long to reach him?!
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

Lady Opheliac

Lady Opheliac

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music...<br />Art...<br />Music...<br />Theatre...<br />Music.
Humanity has gone down the pan, when he decided to live-stream it didn't anyone gather that it was seriouse? The live-stream would have been his last call for help, if no one who was watching picked this up, how blind to the world are they? sometimes i do wonder.

Where are the parents now? Shouldnt they be monitoring thier children. Knowing their teenager and seeing the classic signs for a need of help, where are the friends or the teachers that will pull kids aside and make sure everything is ok? The world is so wrapped up in themselves it isnt even funny.

That is so true. I know that my teachers wouldn't pull a kid aside and ask if he/she is okay, only if they arn't doing their homework or consentraiting in lessons (which is more likely to end in a detention than a friendly chat). Parents are easy to avoid, i spend alot of my time out, or in my room my mother wouldn't have the faintest about what I do if i didn't tell her.
"And still the statues cry, the queen bee flies...
we try our damndest to explain the reasons why and how and when and where...
we're getting nowhere. No doors deep inside this corridor
of space and time... if space and time exist.
Oh we'll persist, if we exist. Are you listening?" - The Legendary Pink Dots

TheArtOfSuicide dA VictorianQueen's tweets

atinuj1313

atinuj1313

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Humanity has gone down the pan, when he decided to live-stream it didn't anyone gather that it was seriouse? The live-stream would have been his last call for help, if no one who was watching picked this up, how blind to the world are they? sometimes i do wonder.

That is so true. I know that my teachers wouldn't pull a kid aside and ask if he/she is okay, only if they arn't doing their homework or consentraiting in lessons (which is more likely to end in a detention than a friendly chat). Parents are easy to avoid, i spend alot of my time out, or in my room my mother wouldn't have the faintest about what I do if i didn't tell her.

There are so few good teachers out there anymore who actually notice and pay attention to the student's daily behavior. I remember when I was in highschool there were a few good teachers who would monitor everyone's daily behavior and attitude, and could tell when something was very wrong. Parents need to step up though, they wanted their children, adored them as children and now ignore them as teenagers? this is nonsense, parents should care for their children.

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic."
A quote of Joseph Stalin adapted by Marilyn Manson A.K.A. Brian Warner. It is easy for me to see the perspective of the cold-hearted, jaded ones. Also, it is easy for me to see the perspective of the empathic.

This young man did not deserve to die. He had done nothing in this world so horrible as to no longer possess of the right to live. Yet, obviously he was in a great deal of pain. Suicidals often feel that they no longer wish to endure the pain of existence or that they will gain some unattainable peace from the act of suicide.

I have to agree that the path of suicide is that of the cowardly. I myself have contemplated suicide in the past. I myself will most likely commit suicide as an old man, when the pain is real and not a construct of my own mind. Abe suffered from a fairly common ailment: Teenage angst. I wholeheartedly agree with the question, "Where the hell were his parents?" Why didn't they give a fuck about the fact that their son, Abe, was oozing misery out his eye sockets before he did the dirty deed? And how in the hell were they unable to notice? My father saw it in me and was able to describe ways in which I could channel my emotions in a more constructive(or destructive) manner. Chopping wood can cleanse the soul. How is it that no older person in this young man's life was able to see it? I can see it in some of the teenagers I know now. And I council them in dealing with it.

The truth of the matter: Life, similarly to the job market, is crowded. There are many, many of us. The "sink or swim" mentality is all-pervasive. In social situations weakness is generally exploited. I am not without the faculties of my humanity and yet part of me does agree with the "sink or swim" philosophy. However, had I not been properly counciled when I was a troubled teenager perhaps I, too, would have ended up an obituary. But you can't help those who don't want to accept help. Even if he subconsciously asked for help, would he have accepted it if it had been presented to him? Or would he have been subjected to psychiatric imprisonment like so many others?

In the end Abe got his wish. He is dead. The persona that was Abe no longer hurts. I believe he will be reborn perhaps as a personality more comfortable for him. In a place more comfortable for him. Prepared for the world by parents who are more competent than the ones he had in this life.

I certainly do not think that this was a tragedy. It was unfortunate, yes, but by no means a tragedy. The fact that it was an unprecedented e-Suicide has merit.

I feel that his parents were indeed to blame. They should have pulled their heads out of their asses. The failure of their offspring represents them as failures. I think that their ancestors will look unkindly upon them in the afterlife.

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
Well said.
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users