Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yes, Yes...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
This is kind of silly and not really all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a little neat to me:

"At 11:31:30pm UTC on Feb 13, 2009, Unix time will reach 1,234,567,890.
Where will you be at this momentous second?" - from Bell Labs

Source: http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/blo...he_13th?blogbox

In case you were curious, UNIX time is actually the count of the number of seconds that have elapsed since midnight on January 1st, 1970 (Called the UNIX Epoch). It's somewhat of an odd way to keep track of time, but it's actually really effective for helping to tell exactly how much time has elapsed between two points by converting both times into UNIX time then subtracting. Doing things this way also avoids most issues associated with the Y2K bug; however, there will still be an issue with UNIX time in 2038, but I won't go into that because I'll reveal just what a geek I really am in doing so.

Coincidentally, this will be happening on Friday the 13th... kind of spooky, isn't it?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Interests:Totally out of whack.
All that Y2K Unix bug needs is transferring to a higher level of counting, thats all.
(and no, i won't tell either, i knew about this even before the Y2K thing in windows.)
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

ViusSolaris

ViusSolaris

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

issues associated with the Y2K bug; however, there will still be an issue with UNIX time in 2038, but I won't go into that because I'll reveal just what a geek I really am in doing so.

You being a geek is no news Atnevon so please explain why!

And it isn't a bad thing either you know! B)

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

You being a geek is no news Atnevon so please explain why!

And it isn't a bad thing either you know! B)

The very short explanation is this: unix is a 32bit system, and they simpley run out of numbers because the date is measured/calculated in seconds, the number is getting too big for the basket.
But it wasn't much of a problem when they were coding it, because who in his right mind would use a 60+ year old operating system?

more reading here, including suggestions for solutions.
Unauthorized Copying is not only forbidden, but will prey upon your conscience, spoil your sleep, destroy your complexion, and eventually will wind up turning you into the kind of person who drinks methylated spirits out of a bottle hidden in a brown paper bag, and who lives under bridges, burps noxiously, and prays day and night for release from the unsupportable burden their life has become. We thought you'd appreciate the warning.
Originally from a Neil Gaiman cd, so i might suffer from all the things mentioned above.

ViusSolaris

ViusSolaris

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 162 posts

The very short explanation is this: unix is a 32bit system, and they simpley run out of numbers because the date is measured/calculated in seconds, the number is getting too big for the basket.
But it wasn't much of a problem when they were coding it, because who in his right mind would use a 60+ year old operating system?

more reading here, including suggestions for solutions.

Ah thanks Dirk!

Reminds me of that we are also running out of ip adresses aswell eek!

Dirk

Dirk

There is one?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
ViusSolaris, you don't need to worry about that either.

The IPv4 address numbers are running out indeed, but IPv6 is supported since 1998, and it's a wee bit bigger.

The only Eeek i'm worried about is the limitation of available information, government restricted internet access, i want to see what i want, not see what others think i should see. (Highly political minefield in that one.)

ViusSolaris

ViusSolaris

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 162 posts

ViusSolaris, you don't need to worry about that either.

The IPv4 address numbers are running out indeed, but IPv6 is supported since 1998, and it's a wee bit bigger.

The only Eeek i'm worried about is the limitation of available information, government restricted internet access, i want to see what i want, not see what others think i should see. (Highly political minefield in that one.)

Yes supported but there are strong powers that doesn't want to implement ipv6!

*points at Atnevon* strong powers like him! :P

Yes the limitations are awful i agree and it keeps getting worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users