Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arrested for Texting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

FEBRUARY 17--A 14-year-old Wisconsin girl who refused to stop texting during a high school math class was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, according to police. The teenager was busted last Wednesday at Wauwatosa East High School after she ignored a teacher's demand that she cease texting.

Full Source: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years...92samsung1.html

I'm honestly not sure which disturbs me more after reading this posting: the actions of the school or the actions the girl took to avoid being caught for something that really shouldn't have been this big of a deal.

Who do you think went too far with this? Was it the school, the girl, or was it both?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
On first glance, it does seem an absurd amount of trouble the school went to to confirm the phones existence and use, and then to be arrested for using it also seems a bit harsh.

BUT: as far as I'm aware cell phones aren't even supposed to be at school (i know they weren't at mine) much less used during school hours. Using them during class time (especially if the teacher is lecturing or giving an assignment) it would be very distracting to the teacher, the student using the phone and possibly others around the student (especially if the student didn't have the brains to put the keypad on silent).

This school may have been having lots of trouble with cell phone use and have had to resort to such harsh tactics to deal with the disruptions. We don't know.

Also, I noticed, that the person writing the report stated that the student was "known to me and the administration based on prior negative contacts". Usually the more a kid gets in trouble, the higher the punishments get. It doesn't say how many times they'd dealt with her, or for what, but you get the feeling she was definately known in the office.

As for her, she either thought it was a game (hence the laughing when they finally found the phone in the seat of her pants) or she pulls things like this for the attention she gets (I got the impression that her parents aren't together, and that is often the case with kids of a broken home).As soon as a search of her person was announced, she knew they'd find it, but still didn't fess up and take the consequences. It wasn't that much trouble (tho slipping it into her pants was a bit of genius, imho), just a case of trying to hide the phone.
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.

...wtf.

Arrested? Clearly, the girl was trying to get around a cell phone ban of some kind. Confiscate the phone and give her detention. Kick her out of school. Expel her. But arrest her? Um...no.

Good god.

*Shakes head and walks off.*

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

DeathFey

DeathFey

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Anything Horror related really Books, Movies, or Music. Zombies seem to be my current favorite... Computers are fun as well although I've yet to learn half as much as I want to. Love learning new things. And I enjoy a little Urban Exploration.
I think they where both out of line. yes the girl wasn't suppose to be using a phone in school but to have her arrested? that's just way out of bounds.

Schools are turning more and more to police to take care of this issues over dealing with them in house and in doing so they're using more and more tax payers money.

It's not a free call every time someone calls the cops.

The Teacher should have just ignore that girl after the warning and then perhaps had called her Parents after the class and talked to them about her behavior.

If it had continued then Suspend that girl and/or expel her.
"To know is nothing at all. To imagine is everything."
-Anatole France 1844-1924

"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly."
-Neil Gaiman

"I want a new planet to live on. A bunch of assholes broke mine."
- Logan DeAngelis

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
- Unknown

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
the schools have less and less power inside their own halls. Corporeal punishment is all but forbidden, and students think nothing of suspensions, except maybe to view it as a holiday. Even ISS isn't a punishment to most anymore. Or A school (or whatever individual districts call their school for troubled kids. My sister was sent there several times and just thought it funny). The teachers have even less power. Ignoring a student's misbehavior just encourages that student and others to continue misbehaving.

Calling a child's parents for a conference doesn't do much good either. Most parents are either too preoccupied with their own lives to pay much attention to what their children are doing, and I know of some parents who are actually afraid to try disciplining their children, either for fear of the child's tantrum or for fear that the child will report them for abuse. I know of several kids who actually threatened to do just that, sometimes for nothing more than the parent telling them to clean their room.

Children today are spoiled brats. Even when I was a kid we were spoiled, tho I never realized just how badly until relatively recently. It gets worse with every generation. Todays kids don't play outside, because they may get hurt, may break an arm or scrape a knee. Instead they are being hurt much worse by being turned into fat slobs who won't be useful to society when they are grown, they won't know how to do anything except scream for what they want and expect others to give it to them. They think the world owes them because they exist.

Arrest may not have been the best solution to the problem, but with her apparently being no stranger to administration, they may have felt it was the only way to deal with her continuing misbehavior.

That's what I hate most about today's media. They don't give us all the information, just what looks like it'll sell the best.

Posted Image

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • 442 posts
My belief is that arresting her was the right thing cause the only way kids seem to respond now is with a brute force attack
on their sensibilities. Some people are addicted to texting and it is a psychological issue now.

Wake up people, put the goddamn cell phone away and learn something. You got time after class to do that. Besides, nobody
has THAT much to say to their friends that can't wait until lunch.

Personally I would've taken the phone, smashed it with a hammer and made her eat it. Then give her expulsion including
the arrest. :D

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Lady Opheliac

Lady Opheliac

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music...<br />Art...<br />Music...<br />Theatre...<br />Music.
I know people like this, well not exactly, but who are always texting throughout lessons. However not in plain veiw of the teachers... because thats just silly. I'm sure if she didn't want to be caught then she wouldn't have flaunted the phone to the teacher.
"And still the statues cry, the queen bee flies...
we try our damndest to explain the reasons why and how and when and where...
we're getting nowhere. No doors deep inside this corridor
of space and time... if space and time exist.
Oh we'll persist, if we exist. Are you listening?" - The Legendary Pink Dots

TheArtOfSuicide dA VictorianQueen's tweets

Enki Anunaki

Enki Anunaki

Necromancer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Interests:Yum! Toasty souls of the damned!
Enki-bot: Online...
Rant Mode: Engaged...

Arresting her was bullshit. It didn't need to happen, bottom line. You arrest people for crimes, for infractions of the LAW, not for breaking school rules. This is a waste of taxpayer's dollars, a waste of police personnel, and a waste of time. Criminal disorderly conduct?! Fuck, man.

Yes, the girl is a weak-willed idiot. She should have waited to say "LOLOMGROFLCOPTER" or whatever other text-bullshit-jargon to her little friend. But did she deserve to be accosted by police officers and humiliated? No. I'm not even necessarily on her side, I don't even own a cellphone anymore and I never got into that whole waste of time known as "texting." If you want to reach me, call my land line. I don't care to read your stupid fucking chain jokes and I don't want to spend the time to reply your worthless small talk.

I disagree profusely with this administrative choice and it really does reflect the desperate lack of power our educational system possesses.

I also disagree with the use of security guards in schools. I went to an "Alternative Highschool" because the local school bureau denied me access to any other school due to my record of fighting, drug offenses, and general asshole behavior. Except I was never directly disrespectful to my elders, I just didn't play well with others. In that school, however, we policed ourselves. The teachers could do pretty much anything they saw fit to punish the students, short of violence. There was alot of paperwork to sign to be admitted. But it was pretty much the "Last Chance" highschool for the area. The girl in this article was attending a regular highschool.

But I think it's shit like this that will usher in an age of "family facility" prison systems, corporal punishment, and micromanagement of the populace: I.E: Marshal law. I don't need some badged, megalomaniac, motherfucker breathing down my neck and arresting me just because I want to break the rules.

Rules were made to be broken.

When the police have to arrest our children for minor social altercations we really need to ask ourselves in what direction is the social structure moving? Are we comfortable with it? Will they arrest us at work next for sneaking out for an extra cigarette break? Will they police us in our own homes and arrest us for having oral sex?(Which happens to be illegal in most states and provinces in North America)

Seriously, people, WHAT THE FUCK?

If they want to really cease the use of cellphones the installation of cheap, high-frequency microwave inhibitors in schools would see to that. It's a simple answer. Hardwire the computer equipment and use land-lines for calls.

This shit just pisses me off. If my child were to be arrested for something as stupid as this I would RAISE HELL.

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
DeathFey: Yeah, pretty much the same thing I said. *Shrug.*

Optic: I agree. Just watch who you're callin' a slob; not every fat kid is a slob, y'know. But yeah, it's a totally different world than it was thirty years ago. I wasn't alive then, but I've seen and heard enough in my own family to know what it was like. I should get out more myself...

Enki: LOL @ your first two lines. xD

At the very worst, she - not the parents, mind, but the girl herself - should've been fined for wasting the teacher's time. As it is, teachers are among the lowest-paid employees; sure, they make more than janitors, but so do garbage men. But to go into a class and have your time completely wasted by someone who seems to making a point of turning a minor educational offense into a media circus would be enough for me to start pulling out the blowgun. You know how painful a salt-filled dart to the knee is? I do. (Don't ask.)

There have always been the girls giggling and passing notes or the guy chewing tobacco in the back of the class. But at least the guys doodling or daydreaming by the window aren't distracting; they're just really, really bored - and they're only fucking up their own grade. Now we've got cell phones everywhere, though, and I'd just as soon go back to the telegraph or the Pony Express for all the trouble they're worth. >_>

But, who am I to say anything about it? All I can say is that this was stupid. Arresting her? Come on.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
My sentence was not intended to state that fat = slob.

Posted Image

Syrius

Syrius

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Stepping off my porch and into my santuary. The night's embrace.
  • Interests:The Tarot, the Oracle, Various types of metal, older rock (nothing after 1996) Techno, some rap, (Young Jeezy's Recession is my shit) the paranormal, anime, reading and writing.
.......I'm not going to bother ranting.
It's just another fucked up, mentaly disturbed incident all the way around.
She should not have had the cell phone in class in the first place. The reaction against her, I cannot find words to describe, only that schools like that, It's staff, it's county government, It's state government, that allows such extrementies to occur should be murdered. Point-blank. End of disscussuion. We should all create a "stupidity hunting season", making sure each year that retarded shit like this does not happen......EVER AGAIN. Wake-up people, our country is going straight to hell in the express line if tjhings like this are constantly allowed to happen, I am so tired of hearing people say "what a great country this is" Especially from people that turn a blind eye to travesties such as this. <_< :angry:
I walk the path of Darkness, people say I'm evil for it, I say they are wrong.
Light and Dark by themselves are neutral entities, sure good generally chooses the light, while evil generally chooses the dark. However, it is not the path you walk, but how you walk it. It is not the power you weild, but how you weild it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users