Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Taxing 100% of AIG Bonuses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

WASHINGTON - Congress finally has come up with a politically popular tax plan: a near-total tax on the $165 million in bonuses AIG says it must pay executives of its division blamed for its nearly $100 billion loss last year.

The idea of using taxes to recoup those payments and another $450 million in bonuses over the next two years spread like wildfire among Democrats Tuesday as taxpayer anger turned up the heat on the federal government, which has sunk $170 billion into AIG to keep it from falling into bankruptcy.

"If we can't kill the big bonuses, we'll tax the big bonuses," said Rep. Steve Israel (D-Huntington) as he introduced a bill late Monday for a 100 percent tax on bonuses over $100,000 at federally bailed out firms.

Source: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics...0,5556900.story

I think this is definitely a creative workaround to the already signed contracts that these employees had for bonuses. While it's a little worrisome to see the government taking 100% of people's bonuses, I think in this particular case it may be well warranted.

What do you think of the idea? Does this go too far, or does it maybe not go far enough?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Only 100% tax??? Damned government!
I say 100% tax plus a 50% penalty for aggrivated stupidity with intent to insult the public!

Or give them the option to perform a public suicide by taking a swan dive off the Brooklyn Bridge onto
a garbage trawler fresh from the Bronx. Then you take their estate and use that to repay the citizens!

Or maybe all of the above.

Personally, I'd like to take each of them and show them how to flay the skin off a person while keeping
them alive. It is such a lost art form! We have better uses for Congress...like watching them molest underage pages and interns, buying hookers expensive cars, and shipping our money off to countries that hate us by joining hands with special interests! What is this with our government suddenly HELPING us?!

Blasphemy! Infamy! ... and flay them!!!!

....ahem, no Atnevon I don't think they've gone far enough (*twitches nervously while holding a straight razor waiting for the executive order to flay AIG like a fuzzy thing*)

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Gabriel

Gabriel

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes my body move to the sound of the music. It makes my wings spread out so i can fly. I'd rather fly in doors.

Burn is the name and magic is my game, I'm a summoner of many things but angels; they don't like what I'm doing.

My name, i really do like my REM name only because Caz (that's what the beginning of his name sounds like) named me out of spite for his brother because the Arc Gabriel, no matter how much he curses the human race and kills us off one by one, he is still accepted by God as his Death Angel.

Only 100% tax??? Damned government!
I say 100% tax plus a 50% penalty for aggrivated stupidity with intent to insult the public!

Or give them the option to perform a public suicide by taking a swan dive off the Brooklyn Bridge onto
a garbage trawler fresh from the Bronx. Then you take their estate and use that to repay the citizens!

Or maybe all of the above.

Personally, I'd like to take each of them and show them how to flay the skin off a person while keeping
them alive. It is such a lost art form! We have better uses for Congress...like watching them molest underage pages and interns, buying hookers expensive cars, and shipping our money off to countries that hate us by joining hands with special interests! What is this with our government suddenly HELPING us?!

Blasphemy! Infamy! ... and flay them!!!!

....ahem, no Atnevon I don't think they've gone far enough (*twitches nervously while holding a straight razor waiting for the executive order to flay AIG like a fuzzy thing*)

Don't worry starphoenixkoroias, they're getting what is coming to them.
This is only the tip of the iceberg that sank this titanic, lets wait to see what other
Honest changes come to feed and take care of the Citizens that make up this country.
Americas Hungry, its time to eat with the taxes ripped from the riches.

So until then...if you really must, Can Flay the AIG like a fuzzy things that they are.

Gabriel

"Time comes when the the cold sets in and puts Gods work into a deep Coma like slumber, this my friends is called death and it could never be oh so beautiful this time of the year."

Tomorrow is another day to find out if your going to die or not, better get to work
before Dark angel of death comes back for more than just his redemption's.

Final thought for the day:

Did you know that President Obama signed his stimulus package at the same desk where President Clinton got his package stimulated?

~ Azriel's daughter

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
*Decide not to respond as it would most likely involve cattle prods stuck in unfriendly places, gasoline, and a very sharp knife...*

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users