Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shrinking down cities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts
[quote]Dozens of US cities may have entire neighbourhoods bulldozed as part of drastic "shrink to survive" proposals being considered by the Obama administration to tackle economic decline.

The government looking at expanding a pioneering scheme in Flint, one of the poorest US cities, which involves razing entire districts and returning the land to nature.

Local politicians believe the city must contract by as much as 40 per cent, concentrating the dwindling population and local services into a more viable area.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...to-survive.html

To a lot of people this will probably sound pretty drastic, but when the number of vacant homes in an area is as staggering as it is in some areas, I actually think this is a good idea. It gives us a chance to bring back a little bit of the nature that we tore down to build the cities in the first place, instead of just leaving homes to rot and fall apart.

Do you think this is too extreme, or would you support the effort if it came to your city?
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
And you find this new?? Obama just took a page out of the redneck's handbook for better hunting space.

Seriously, this has been used around here for a long time. Build, demolish, let grow nature...kill nature, rebuild, go vacant, demolish...ad naseum.

I'm all for it. Let's knock down a few skyscrapers while we're at it. Don't need all those mortgage offices anymore anyways!

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Gabriel

Gabriel

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Anything that makes my body move to the sound of the music. It makes my wings spread out so i can fly. I'd rather fly in doors.

Burn is the name and magic is my game, I'm a summoner of many things but angels; they don't like what I'm doing.

My name, i really do like my REM name only because Caz (that's what the beginning of his name sounds like) named me out of spite for his brother because the Arc Gabriel, no matter how much he curses the human race and kills us off one by one, he is still accepted by God as his Death Angel.

Seriously, this has been used around here for a long time. Build, demolish, let grow nature...kill nature, rebuild, go vacant, demolish...ad naseum.

Honestly tho, we demolished to rebuild so we could grow...I don't think America Built to....Shrink.

Its strange when you think about it...
America, a country of a continuous growing population with a constant increase of immigrating cultures...shrinking?

True, it would be nice to get nature back to her almost herself and yes this would make 90% of the population...FREAK OUT, but
overall how would the president decide what to keep up and what to take down to make this happen?
America has built off of historic soil and structures since the urge for difference to get from then to now.

I mean it would be sad to see America's history be destroyed over a dream that America might destroy itself over.
Eh' every American dream has a Major Pro and a Major Con to it, no matter how positive it sounds.
It's sad really, cause not all American's take well to changes that could benefit the future generations.

Well i guess if it happens then it happens, but if not then it's another American dream lost at first thought.

Politics is the Cruelest part in the game of life.

Edited by Gabriel, 19 June 2009 - 10:20 PM.

"Time comes when the the cold sets in and puts Gods work into a deep Coma like slumber, this my friends is called death and it could never be oh so beautiful this time of the year."

Tomorrow is another day to find out if your going to die or not, better get to work
before Dark angel of death comes back for more than just his redemption's.

Final thought for the day:

Did you know that President Obama signed his stimulus package at the same desk where President Clinton got his package stimulated?

~ Azriel's daughter

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
If they want to destroy our downtown parking garage, I'll personally supply them the dynamite. =P

I'm not sure about the whole thing, though. Spokane ain't exactly New York, but it isn't a barbarian village in the mountains either. It's a fair-sized city and clearing parts of it out would actually worsen the situation here, I think. For one thing, we have Triumph (a company which replaced the Boeing factory here) and Kaiser (a steel factory). We might not be the richest, but at least we've been able to almost keep our head above water; we haven't completely drowned yet.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • 442 posts

If they want to destroy our downtown parking garage, I'll personally supply them the dynamite. =P

I'd personally like to see them put all the garages underground and leave the skyline open again. besides, it'll work great if it collapes...you don't have to worry about compacting the trash. done.

it's time the country actually shrank back a little anyways and relearned how to build with efficiency and respect for the freaking planet. i'm all for firebombing little sections of the big cities and rebuilding them using environmentally-safe wicker.

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
You would be.

Frankly, I'm all for returning things to nature. You're right: we don't need skyscrapers to show how rich we are. What we do need are environmentally safe constructs that will last us a long time. They're certainly cheaper; but because they don't "look powerful" or they'll cost too much short-term, we don't build them? Makes no sense to me. Instead of building another nuclear power plant, here's an idea: use the same amount of money to put up a solar power station. Yeah, the maintenance would be expensive, but what about the maintenance of a nuclear power plant? And what happens if it blows up? A few hundred solar panels would be just as expensive, but it would drastically reduce costs and allow cities to retain more income that they could then use for more important things.

The problem isn't necessarily the economy; it's what's behind the economy. Sure, let's cut back on the cities, but why don't we start with the structures that could be moved into other buildings? For example, we have this space in our town where there're four shops right next to each other; two of them are now cell phone companies, but all four used to be cell phone companies. WTF?

A good example is Rock Point East. It's a building that houses corporate offices and state offices. Why not build a couple more of those? Then you could get rid of the eight or nine banks that are within the half-mile area surrounding the STA plaza. While you're at it, build a third level onto the plaza to house city offices and build a bus garage behind it with a parking garage. Yeah, it'd cost a bit of money, but it'd be more cost-effective for the city as well since you'd have everything in one location and could perform maintenance for different things in the same spot.

I'm not saying I'd be a better city planner; I'm just saying there are things we can do to make a city less apt to go broke. As it is, Spokane's on the verge of doing just that and now Spokane Valley is mucking things up because they don't want to live with the dumbass choices they've made.

So yeah...now that I think about it again, cut back - but put what you can into a single area with enough breathing room to allow for a compact structure that's nonetheless efficient. Does anyone use their head anymore?

Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

dhemigod

dhemigod

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

we don't need skyscrapers to show how rich we are.

I dont think this goes along the same idea... If were talking about reducin the sprawl and tightening up the cities then more skyscrapers and massive building would be neccissary.... but I dont think this is a bad thing... we have the technology... we can rebuild them... :D

yet, this idea flies in the face of seeming 'base' human desires... the desire for a piece of their own... their own 'kingdom' as it were. People have always tried to move away from the cities, away from the hustle and bustle, to find some peace and quiet and a place to call their own... of course I think the younger generations would better accept this. I have stood behind the 'megacities' concept for a long time, large buildings in a minimal of land usage, i wrote a paper in school on it and cant seem to find it. The reduction of area will reduce fuel usage as well. B)

One question occurs to me tho... Is the government prepared to pay people the full worth of their land, as if they were selling it? or are they going to force the issue, pass the plan, and push people out with half their proprerty values? or less.... :(

But if the past has taught us anything its this... No matter how benevolent an Idea may seem there is going to be at least one person looking to profit and exploit the situation at the expence of others... :angry:
Guy hunted cause he liked to kill - more violent than a constipated Brujah on Speed.
- Horace Slater - (Nosferatu Clanbook)

When the student is ready. . . the lesson appears.
- Gene Oliver

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

• Members
  • 507 posts
Human condition, anyone? Yeah, that's the breaks. Humans suck. Doesn't mean we can't try to suck a little less - those of us that still have half a brain and a conscious to match, that is.

Posted Image
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users