Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Royalty Rates for Online Radio

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

Under the new deal announced today, webcasters are being offered a so-called "alternative set of rates and terms" by SoundExchange, the organization responsible for managing performers' royalties in the US. Those that agree to SoundExchange's terms must adopt a new and more rigorous reporting schedule for reporting their revenues right down to the dollar -- the reporting system that SoundExchange insisted upon two years ago. It's an even more rigorous reporting system than what the US Copyright Royalty Board agreed to last January, when it made a reluctant U-turn in favor of revenue-based royalties accounting.

As the RAIN newsletter reports today, webcasters agreeing to the plan must keep complete, per-performance records of what songs were played, and to how many listeners they were played, in logs that they must agree to keep available for at least four years. In exchange, royalty rates for those willing to submit to greater transparency, will be capped at 25% of reported revenue. Those who prefer not to agree to this reporting system will continue to pay the royalties rates set by the CRB earlier in the year.

Source: Betanews

This is incredible news for webcasters and I think it will make the internet much more friendly to smaller online broadcasters, which I believe will in turn help independent musicians a lot towards getting their music heard by a larger and more dedicated audience.

While there are still fees to pay for stations that don't make any revenue, they are a very small fraction of what was being asked initially, and much much much more manageable than the per listener per song charges that were being paid previously.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Glad to see the movement worked, even if it did act like a congested bowel.

At least that's a break for Secondshifters eh?

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.

Glad to see the movement worked, even if it did act like a congested bowel.

At least that's a break for Secondshifters eh?

It's taken a lot of work to get it this far and at least it's far more reasonable. The last go at it they hand increased what online stations had to payout 300%+. Even if the stations, like SS, never earned a dime.

Yes it is. :D

The horrible thing with the whole Royalties thing is that if you talk to a lot of indy artists. The RIAA does not cut them a check until it reaches a ridiculous amount of money - like $50,000. Yet money is paid out. In a lot of cases thousands. It annoys me that the bands don't see that and that most indy artists will never see a cheque from the revenue paid out.
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

The Last Exile

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Dexter in training.

Oh shit, I am really ....ing behind, I just read the other and sent an e-mail to my congressman, he's probably going to think I'm crazy................ :blink: ............sorry?

Nah, not really, because you know this won't be the end of it.

Every little thing helps. So thank you :D
Posted Image

Sometimes it's in the darkness that we truly learn to see.

I'm Dexter in training - so watch it! Imma watchin' you!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

robot

robot

Hop On Pop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:technology, anime, drawing, politics and conspiracies, pretty much everything cyber, dark stuff

Oh shit, I am really ....ing behind, I just read the other and sent an e-mail to my congressman, he's probably going to think I'm crazy................ :blink: ............sorry?

Eh, I doubt your congressman will do anything. They never listen and no, I'm not trying to rain on everybody's parade.
The junkyard whispers my name...again and again
Q. Are you going to Hell?
A. Are we there yet? I've gotta pee pee.

Project 6209 - Industrial/Electronica/Alternative straight from Chicago
Project 6209 @ Myspace.com
Project 6209 @ Last.fm
Project 6209 @ Facebook
maschinetheist on DeviantArt

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
Of course congressmen never listen. They're politicians; they're paid to ignore people.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • 442 posts

Of course congressmen never listen. They're politicians; they're paid to ignore people.

They're not paid to ignore us. They listen.
The problem is, they're paid to do the following with our money.

* Give it to Big Oil, Big Drug, ad naseum.
* Give it to high-class hookers
* Give it to the guy that makes the Golden Toilet.
* Give it to companies that make private jets.
* Give it to the terrorists.
* Give it to themselves! (Congress gets an average +5.132% pay raise per annum).
* Give it to low-class hookers
* Light it up and smoke it like a stogie (US dollars taste bitter, but what a head trip).

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
So, um...congrats, I guess. Sorry, I don't understand financial stuff too well, royalties an' all that...but sounds like it's a good thing for you, so congrats. :)

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Atnevon

Atnevon

The Architect

• Admin
  • 5,673 posts

So, um...congrats, I guess. Sorry, I don't understand financial stuff too well, royalties an' all that...but sounds like it's a good thing for you, so congrats. :)

Thanks for the congrats Shattered Skulls :) It's definitely great news for us and will give us a lot of room to move forward with.
The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users