Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's coming...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
...and you probably don't give a damn.

But, for those of us who are nerdy enough to know about it already (for a while now, in fact):

The Comic Con is coming!

:wizard:

This Saturday, I shall be there. And then, I shall likely report on all the cool stuff I stole bought & traded for & won. ;)

That is all.

:ph34r:

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
IT HATH COMETH. IT HATH CONQUERED.

AND I HATH REIGNED SUPREME.

I, THE COLLECTOR.

I, THE COMIC BOOKER.

I...

THE COMIC CONNER.

Okey doke.

Bought several comics, all #1s - Secret Origins of Superman, a package with a number of #1s from various comics, and Giant Size Man-Thing (yes, I got the joke too; that's kinda why I bought it :lol: ). Also got some stuff from the free table - some pins, a few comics, various ads and such. Door prize! Yay!

Door prize was a gift bag with various things in it - couple of posters, some fake tats, couple window decals, etc. But my big ticket items:

[$1 raffle!] A promo card for the recent Marvel Civil War signed in silver ink by Michael Turner (worth about $25) was given to me by someone who won what I consider to be the top prize (Green Lantern #1; the latest series, though, not one of the older series) as well as the promo card. She'd gotten the prize she really wanted (the comic, which I also wanted - but that's okay), so she handed the promo card over to me; still awesome. ^_^

Also, for $10, a second poster signed by Jason Metcalf. A comic artist who's drawn both DC and Marvel characters, it's rare to find his own artwork colored in by him; others usually color in what he's drawn for comics. Last year, I bought (for the same price) a Hulk Poster; it was also signed by him, it was drawn by him, and it was colored by him - likely for promo sale. This year, I got a Green Lantern from him. JOY. :wizard:

Finally, my best item: it and others from the same series are only $15 on the site I found it on, but I bought it for $10; the guy selling it and I were both suprised that it had hung there for as long as it had. It's an Elseworlds Series 4 Action Figure of the original Flash (Jay Garrick); a sticker on the box reads: "JSA: The Liberty Files". JSA, for those of you who don't know, is DC's (Detective Comics') Justice Society America (think Superfriends, only with better story lines). Jay Garrick was the Golden Age Flash, the one that started it all, and his is the only truly unique costume; look him up - you'll see what I mean (assuming you don't already know comics). All the Flashes after him had essentially the same costume, save for minor differences (e.g. Reverse Flash, Black Flash, Kid Flash). Despite its youth, the action figure - still in box, of course - is a collectible. Of course, the action figure has red pants and boots to match his shirt as it's from the Elseworlds series; however, the original Jay Garrick had blue pants (presumably jeans) and ordinary boots with his classic helmet and red/yellow shirt. Still, it's a pretty cool collectible. Eventually, I hope to collect the rest of the series to make a complete collection; there's also a 4-figure set that has Batman, Superman, Bizzaro, and Wonder Woman.

So, in short, I am a total geek/nerd/fanboy/whateverothertitleyoudeemfit. But, hey...at least it was fun. We had a bunch of people in costume there - someone dressed as Luigi both last year and this year; someone dressed as Harlequinn both last year and this year; a Jedi and a Sith (woman/man, respectively; they were together); there were a couple of storm troopers on display, along with Darth Maul and Darth Vader (people took pictures); a number of children with costumes - one girl had Iron Man, another had Wonder Woman, etc.; there was a lazily-assembled Batwoman costume; someone had a Wolverine costume; and there were others. One guy even put together a lazy Green Arrow costume, though I give him kudos; he had real arrows, not fake arrows like some people might don with a costume.

None of the artists were doing personal artwork this time, I don't think; last year, I had one dude (I forget his name) draw a picture of the Hulk for me. He was doing portraits of various characters for people for free; it was awesome. Mine was done on a piece of cardboard that acted as the stiff support for a sleeved Hulk comic I'd bought. This year, though, I didn't see much; it was also very poorly organized. Like, there were two huge displays - as in, almost wall-to-wall displays; one cut the whole comic con main floor (with all the toys, games, and other such primary booths) in half, and the other lined the back wall. So, you couldn't see clearly what was where; they had a set floor plan that they didn't follow, and one guy wouldn't have even come to help set up if they hadn't been about to get into an argument about how to arrange everything. >.<

But, all in all, it wasn't a bad experience. Last year was the 3rd annual and one of their biggest; this year was relatively large as well, and their 4th annual comic con. Truly, I am in love with this event. ^_^ Although, I didn't participate in the gaming touranments (Super Smash Bros. primarily) because I've never played the games they had. Still, it was an awesome day. B) Oh! And I also saw more Green Lantern apparel (shirts, hoodies, rings, etc.) than anything else on non-costumed people. Interesting.

Any other geeks/nerds/fans/etc that have delved deeply into the worlds of Stan Lee, Mark Miller, Jason Metcalf, Michael Turner, and the like (i.e. comics)? Or...am I the only nerd on the board? D=

Edited by Shattered Skulls, 23 May 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users