Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Job Hunting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Opticallusion

Opticallusion

The Cat In The Hat Comes Back

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
To start off: I hate job hunting. lol

I have no real experience and not much of a resume. I've spent most of my life either in school or "working" for family for the price of room, board and whatever. But, that doesn't do it for me anymore.

Problem though...I don't really do well with interviews and such. Just thinking about it tends to make me feel ill. >.< I get nervous and fidgety and when I get like that I tend to babble. Not attractive. >.<

Anyway. I have three sort of leads I'm going to try to track down this week. Well, two leads and if neither of them works my uncle's fiance says she can pretty much guarantee me a job where she works.

Firstly is something I found in the local classifieds. I'm a bit leery cause it doesn't say much, just that there's no experience required to be an Air Tester, salary (nice!) and a phone number. I'm not too crazy about ads with no company name...hence reverse lookup using the number to find the company. lol

Second is something I heard from a friend, that the local 911 is looking for operators, and pay for training. Gotta find out how/where/when to apply for that. I think I could manage anyway.

Third is the almost gauranteed job...customer service. >.< I hate phones....

Anyway. If you could, keep your fingers crossed that something finally works out for me. I'm really really sick of my current situation and need on my own feet.

If you have any suggestions on how to keep from being a nervous, babbling wreck, I would greatly appreciate it.

I need all the help I can get...
just give me a minute, i'm thinking...

Posted Image

Shattered Skulls

Shattered Skulls

The Sneetches And Other Stories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you...mostly college stuff, not much on the resume, and I HATE phones. Did that shit for three months and the guys runnin' the place (if it could be called that) didn't know their ugly asses from a hole in the ground. I'm actually starting college (again...ugh -_-) soon for a cert.

As for babbling solutions...I'd say don't talk, but that wouldn't work in this situation. XD Sorry.

Good luck, though. :)

Edited by Shattered Skulls, 13 June 2011 - 12:51 AM.

Posted Image
Posted ImageI see what you did there.Posted Image
Posted ImageA fractured mind is a beautiful thing.Posted Image
Posted ImageThe internet is for...Posted Image
"If being sane is thinking there's something wrong with being different, I'd rather be completely fucking mental!"
(Angelina Jolie)

Posted Image

We're all born the same way: wet, cold, and screaming; life is just as messy as death.
We all eat, drink, piss, shit, fuck, and die. Someone mind tellin' me the punch line?

lyssiria

lyssiria

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:books. i like books... cuz i'm shy. no, for real, i'm a librarian.
For the babbling... do you drink a lot of coffee? Try limiting yourself to one cup. Don't buy one from Starbucks, though.

It can also help to role play. (heh, not THAT KIND!) Get a friend or relative and tell them that you want them to ask you questions that they've been asked in interviews, OR even better, go on the intarwebs and google 'interview questions for [whatever job it is].' That helped me a lot getting this job. I was DAMN prepared. I think that's the worst part, is not knowing what's coming. If you have some idea of what they may ask, it's easier to think up an answer ahead of time. Do NOT be afraid of sounding like you're tooting your own horn in an interview. You are! It's shameless self-promotion, and you have to do it because everybody else is. The person who does it best gets the job.

Also, think of some questions to ask the interviewers. They really like when you can demonstrate an understanding of the job by asking questions of them. Other than benefits, hours, salary, dress code; you should NEVER ask those in an interview unless the interviewer brings them up.

If you want a resume written for you, I know a good lady: www.rtpresumes.com She is NOT cheap, but o man is she good. She also does fantastical cover letters.

Starphoenix Koroias

Starphoenix Koroias

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

For the babbling... do you drink a lot of coffee? Try limiting yourself to one cup. Don't buy one from Starbucks, though.

It can also help to role play. (heh, not THAT KIND!) Get a friend or relative and tell them that you want them to ask you questions that they've been asked in interviews, OR even better, go on the intarwebs and google 'interview questions for [whatever job it is].' That helped me a lot getting this job. I was DAMN prepared. I think that's the worst part, is not knowing what's coming. If you have some idea of what they may ask, it's easier to think up an answer ahead of time. Do NOT be afraid of sounding like you're tooting your own horn in an interview. You are! It's shameless self-promotion, and you have to do it because everybody else is. The person who does it best gets the job.

Also, think of some questions to ask the interviewers. They really like when you can demonstrate an understanding of the job by asking questions of them. Other than benefits, hours, salary, dress code; you should NEVER ask those in an interview unless the interviewer brings them up.

If you want a resume written for you, I know a good lady: www.rtpresumes.com She is NOT cheap, but o man is she good. She also does fantastical cover letters.

Lol, that chick used to come into our stores in Raleigh/Durham before she got her own office. Funneh!

style1,Starphoenix.png

http://www.aardwolf.com

I'm a good cook, really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users