Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Clubs, Nights, Meetups, etc.

clubs bar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

duphenix

duphenix

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4 posts
I recently moved to Portland, Oregon. Coming from a small Pennsylvania town, one of the first things I looked up was things to do in the area.

The lists of industrial/ebm/darkwave/etc clubs and nights on most sites are woefully out of date. So I thought it would be nifty to try to put together a fresher list and thought this might be a good place to do it.

Last night, Wednesday July 17th 2013, I went to The Lovecraft Bar, at 421 SE Grand St, Portland, OR.

Here is my review;

I've never felt so comfortable in a bar. It's dark (of course), and has the Necronomicon gate (or gate of Yog-Sothoth) painted on the ceiling and several of the doors. Skulls line one wall, paintings for sale on two others. The wall over the bar has the octopus like tentacles of Cthuhlu. While waiting for the Event Horizon show to start they play old B (or C even) horror movies on a large sheet-cum-movie screen. I order and Angry Bastard and sit back and wait for the DJ to start.

The music starts after a bit and a few dancers hit the floor. Most people are milling about sociaizing though. They play clips of godzilla movies, Final Fantasy and other assorted videos while the music plays. The music is exactly what I was looking for, and as advertised is Dark Electronic Dance music. I sit back and try not to lean against the painting behind me.

The people ranged from the heavily costumed pirate juggler and obligatory special forces outfit, to a guy in khaki's and a polo shirt. Most of the people are dressed in dark colors, as you'd expect, with varying levels of buckles and spikes. The bartender was moderately friendly and apologized profusely when the taps were down for a few minutes.

They have a variety of shows listed on their site, but seem to list them pretty close to when they happen. Living in the area I'll definitely be going back. Next time I plan on convincing the bartender to do a proper absinthe, something she seemed oddly resitant to when I asked about it while waiting for the foam to clear from the tap system.

duphenix

duphenix

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4 posts
Shadowplay review.

<a href='https://m.facebook.com/Shadowplaypdx'><\a> is a 'dark' themed dance night, so you don't have to worry about hearing Keisha, and covenant came on at least once in the two hours i spent. It's Thursday nights in downtown Portland. Much more industrial than the Event Horizon show I reviewed prior. The costumes were more elaborate, but that might be due to it being closer to the weekend. Overall it was busier and louder, with a bigger dance floor and couches for seating. Escape From New York was the movie of the night. It didn't have the elaborate decor like the Lovecraft, but that's expected given it's a theme night.

I enjoyed the music, and the people dancing were obviously having a good time. Not sure any more is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users