Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

rant

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:my very beautiful girlfriend, punk rock, violence, video games, liquor
ok let's see if i can do this without screwing something up.

this happens to me at work a lot.

we'll be talking about the best way to do something, and i'll be like "well we should do this in c++ because java is too slow for something this important". then some other guy is like "well java isn't that slow, and i don't know c++ so we should use java" and i'm like "we have plenty of guys who can handle the c++, and java isn't fast enough, so we should use c++" and then the other guy is like "well here's why it has to be fast..."

:o

it's like instead of just accepting the obvious they change the subject, slightly, take my original argument and make it their own. it totally makes me feel like i'm the guy who's wrong. i hate that. and what can you do? you can say "yeah that's what i just said" but then he's like "no no no you said it THIS way". it's not even worth arguing with people like that because they're too obsessed with being on the "right" side and having the last word to notice that they're just repeating everything you said with a "but" in front of it.
i never found the rainbow's end, but at least i found a better place without you

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:my very beautiful girlfriend, punk rock, violence, video games, liquor
i think it's cool that everytime i say someone says something it's always "i'm like" or "the other guy is like"... when did that start? i'm not the only one who does that am i? hmm.
i never found the rainbow's end, but at least i found a better place without you

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
and yes, i think i'm cool.

Cyrus

Cyrus

Green Eggs And Ham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:Being the best husband and father I can be. Playing bass. Writing. Spending Money.
it's ok Sickfish...there are a lot of people like that.

and the "he like" and "Then they were like" thing is normal...it happens to us all from time to time.

no comment on the cool part (insert rolly eyed face here)
THE ENRAGED MONKEY!!!

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE AND MONKEYS DO TOO (if they've got a gun)

Chico

Chico

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:love, art, writing, music, snowboarding.
as i was reading it i was all thinking like, "this guy is cool".
and then he was all "and yes, i think i'm cool"
and i was like, "h00 tang!1 this guy's the shit."

Protocol

Protocol

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
I'm glad you think you're cool.

we'll be talking about the best way to do something, and i'll be like "well we should do this in c++ because java is too slow for something this important". then some other guy is like "well java isn't that slow, and i don't know c++ so we should use java" and i'm like "we have plenty of guys who can handle the c++, and java isn't fast enough, so we should use c++" and then the other guy is like "well here's why it has to be fast..."

it's like instead of just accepting the obvious they change the subject, slightly, take my original argument and make it their own.

NO, they're not changing the subject what said individual was doing was underlining the point that speed is essential and giving you more information why, which appears to be a lynchpin of the discussion you were having.

it totally makes me feel like i'm the guy who's wrong.

That's yourself telling you that. You probably have feelings of inadequacy. Consider what he said, and what he was focusing on. No topic change occured, you just think one did because you feel that he shifted focus and as a result negated anything you had to offer.

"yeah that's what i just said" but then he's like "no no no you said it THIS way". it's not even worth arguing with people like that because they're too obsessed with being on the "right" side and having the last word to notice that they're just repeating everything you said with a "but" in front of it.

Once again, no. (Or at least given the example you provided I can say you're wrong.) You're paying attention to the wrong thing. No one is stealing your thunder or becoming to self obsessed to hear a word you say, that's YOU doing that, not them. The example you provided seemed fine. You're reading much to much into what others say to you, or so it seems from the example provided and how you discuss the problem you say you experience.

Protocol.

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
wow look that's exactly what i was talking about!

Protocol

Protocol

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
Wow Look! You're wrong!

*sigh*

You create a post, you invite discussion. You did not say; This is my rant, and I'm just venting, I don't really believe what I am saying to you, I just need to blow off steam, don't post to me, it will be out of context.

You instead create a post, and invite discussion, and I replied to you, to point out that you were taking the conversation you had in the wrong way. Not always a nice thing to hear, but at least it was explained to you, and was not meant in a critical, you're so wrong, what are you thinking type of way.

Tell you what, you don't want a response? Don't begin a topic. There you go. A fast expedient solution for you.

Protocol.

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
wow touchy dude, calm down. since the post was titled rant i figured it was obvious. sorry.

Protocol

Protocol

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
NO offence taken. I did post to you in the Wacko Jacko thread, about not leaving that discussion, go take a look.

We're all here to post and talk, no point in not doing that.

Protocol.

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
nah i'm not even reading that thread anymore. i said what i had to say, i gave my opinion, and i'm not going to try and clarify myself again. it already turned into a bunch of

whatever sentence

and responding to each specific phrase with four more sentences about why the original sentence wasn't put in exactly the right words. i don't intend to make the board look bad here but a discussion about such an issue shouldn't degenerate into an argument about the proper way to make an argument. that's what the rant threads are for.

Chico

Chico

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 68 posts
it's hard to decipher exactly how things blew over between sickfish and his coworker when all you have is a textual source of information provided by him.
i'll agree that sickfish came across as though he may have been reading too much into the situation. but that could simply be a bit of misinformation.

here's what i'm gonna do. i'm gonna critique both of your arguments heheh.

protocol: you're offering a little understanding and coming across as a contrarian. rather than saying "YOU're wrong in *this* fashion", perhaps it would be better to ask "are you sure you're not reading too much into the situation? maybe i'm not gettin enough information."

sickfish: it's nice to vent once in awhile but it's best to find somebody that cares about you and vent to that one person. i've learned this. also, if you do decide to vent publicly but don't want to get any advice or negating insights on the situation, just state that you're really just writing for a release, and that you don't necessarily want to stand by what you're saying. "don't take this with a grain of salt" type statements.. you know. protocol isn't really out to get your goat, i think he just came across abrasively.

my two cents on all this? it's easy to take a person the wrong way, as the situation at work showed, and as this debate showed. addressing the situation in a calm, objective fashion with the other party can often turn up good results. if you let emotions rule your affairs, you're in for a hard time.

sickfish

sickfish

eaten back to life

• Members
  • 158 posts
yeah, basically i was just bitching. in public. because i like to see my words on the screen. i'm not sure if i was reading too much into it. i don't think so. i think it's that particular guy. or more specifically that particular class of guys. a few other people i work with feel the same way about those guys.

can you guess the name of that class of guys?

Protocol

Protocol

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
That class of guys?

Here's my hearty response. Fuck you. :) Fuck you very much.

Adieu.

Protocol.

Satanic Vampiress

Satanic Vampiress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:love,animals,music.movies and other vampires or vampire followers. p.s. I'm on the search for other net vamps so if u r one holla back.
nnooww nnooww children lets keep the anger level down. Lets try to settle thic dispute like nice and caring people ( and if you aren't either then lets pretend) :)

Hellcat

Hellcat

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 0 posts
hmmm...no wonder Proto said he'd had about enough today. WTG, sickfish. I'm gonna offer you a 10 on a scale of 1-10 on the over reaction there.

Chico

Chico

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 68 posts
not sure i follow. *backs out*

Protocol

Protocol

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 1 posts
*changed my mind - In mercurial mood this evening*

Ok, ok, let's do this correctly shall we?

SickFish. I told you once before that if you chose to let go of that anger you keep bottled up inside that you'd be in interesting company.

I decided I was tired of attempting civility. So I'm dropping that part of my personality for now.

Anytime you feel up to responding, you and I will have it out. As I am sick of your bullshit. I'm done pandering to you, and bantering with you. And I won't suffer you any longer.Step up and speak your mind, it should not take you long, you don't have that many synapses that fire consecutively anyway.

Publish and be damned.

Protocol.

Hellcat

Hellcat

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 0 posts
Wise choice, chico, methinks. :)

Satanic Vampiress

Satanic Vampiress

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:love,animals,music.movies and other vampires or vampire followers. p.s. I'm on the search for other net vamps so if u r one holla back.
there is an afull lot of hostillaty here. Think i'm leaving. Better yet Think i'll stay and watch the 2 of you battle it out net style! Many the best nettie win! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users