Welcome to Second Shifters Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Beauty from maddness."

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

A case of motor oil, a latex fish and a directors chair.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Demonology. cooking, photography, "Dark Shadows". music.
I was a fool, an idiot, so gullible anyone could walk in and stomp
on my heart.

I thought she was different, a kind soul that helped me when my life
was turned upside down. Was getting me back on my feet and realize I
did have a future beyond these four walls.

These god damned four walls that have been my prison for 8 months. 8
months of waiting to see if my life will even begin again. Always
having what little hopes dashed in disappointment as I'm told Sorry,
you have to wait..

Waiting, always waiting, one more month... just one more, sorry you
have to wait longer. The days drag on, no end in sight. The only ray
of hope is the next time, to see if it's over... will it ever be
over ?

Then after a set back and a new prison to hold me, she walked in.

There was always a spark in me for her, her words, her touch..
thought she felt the same, she fanned that spark into a fire. Though
it burned in her too... what a fool believes huh ?

First just a caress then a touch, then a look in her eyes. Our love
making was to me as fresh air is to a drowning man. It made me think
of possibilities I thought were lost and forgotten. Laid on top of a
mound of disguarded rubbish that made up my future.

Then a happening that made my heart stop... she said: "I love you."

I froze, did I hear right ? Was I dreaming, in the middle of making
love she told me something that touched me through defenses I
thought were impregnable, walls that stopped past attempts from
others. She touched a part of me I thought did not exist and it felt
good.

My soul rejoiced, I just laid there as a mute. Finally I said what I
felt in my heart and soul: "I love you too." Those words seemed to
rock my body as I lay there. "I love you." 3 little words.

3 little lies.

I was blind, I have told others that they should open their eyes and
here I am... a hypocrite. I should of seen through it.... but I
didn't want to. And she lied to a friend of mine, used things from
her... things that reached further then only one person had 20 years
ago... for that love was warm and tender and I thought eternal...
little did I know that it could be snatched away by a morning mist
and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

20 years...... even after that period of time.... the pain is still
there. The ache of a loss that wasn't made easier cause no goodbye
was given, not even afterwards.

Can't feel a loved one through sealed wood. Can't give a finale
kiss, a last touch... leave a last tear on her cheek. The eternal
consumer was red hot and greedy, for it didn't want to share her
with me for one last time to show my love. Though a piece of me is
under the earth with her I thought all my love was there too...

till she came into my life.

Oh there were many after the loss, many that though there was real
affection, didn't seem to revive that spark in my soul. Only she
gave it life again and all was forgotten... especially how to be on
guard. It was four weeks of paradise. My world revoiled around when
I would see her next, we laughed, we touched, we held... the
n it
happened..

No, not the pain.. the barriers were still up. No they started to
crumble when I was able to first touch her bare skin, to have her
look in to my eyes, our breath fast and heavy. Bodies' wanting more
from bodies. Then a explosion and a emotional intoxication that is
all consuming, we just laid there, holding, not wishing to become
unjoined... still attached in a love embrace. I was told I was...
unknown.... different, a new frontier for her exploration. Bold new
worlds never traveled to, I was proud that she thoughts.

Falsehoods.

For days my heart soared like Icarius in the heavens.... then I flew
to close to the sun and fell... in a moment of 5 mins... my life can
crashing down.

For even though there was two of us in the room, she just found out
it was really three... and a former drop of water in the ocean of
her life knew and wanted to return. She accepted... and after a
month she will be joined by paper and words.

I stared... dumbfounded... emphasis on the word "dumb".

A goodbye was said... I didn't hear it.

Then she left... I was still sitting there...

Hoping to awaken from this nightmare... I'm still there.

For I'm in a place... a place of tears and sorrow... a place of
cold rejection and shattered dreams.....

A place angels fear to tread...... for that place is now cold,
barren and alone ..... that place is.... my heart.

.... and it hurts.... bad.
"London was drowning in decay, .. chaos, immorality. A message needed to be sent, etched in blood, for all the world to see: a warning. In the pursuit of my .. holy cause, I .. did things, terrible things, unspeakable things. The world condemned me, but it didn't matter, because I believed I was right and the world was wrong. I believed I was the divine messenger. I believed I was...chosen... because I was...found by angels.

They showed me the terrible depth of my mistake,... my crimes, my...presumption. I have done years of penance in their service. A job, for which they said I was ideally suited. Now, perhaps, they will finally let me die. I think that might be wise."

"Good luck to you in your own holy cause my friend. May your choices have better results than mine. Remembered, not as a messenger, remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero, not even as human. Remembered only .. as Jack."

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
Love...
For a mate or a friend....
Is the true immortal.
Unaffected by time, distance and pain.
Always there....
Always welcome.....
Always embraced.
Cherished by angels....
Despised by demons.
Love is the only constant in the universe...
It exists when a newborn star first burns hot and blinding...
And when it finally dies and turns cold and dark.
It's a deafening roar heard in Heaven...
And a whispered blasphemy in Hell.
A man and a woman, locked together are only having sex...
No passion, no romance, no joining of souls...
A man and woman can go through the motions but...
Only true lovers can achieve it.
It is the one thing God didn't create...
For it existed before him...
And it will exist after he has gone.
It transcends even divine will and even Death has no power over it.
It is as it is...
For it is.....
Love.
"London was drowning in decay, .. chaos, immorality. A message needed to be sent, etched in blood, for all the world to see: a warning. In the pursuit of my .. holy cause, I .. did things, terrible things, unspeakable things. The world condemned me, but it didn't matter, because I believed I was right and the world was wrong. I believed I was the divine messenger. I believed I was...chosen... because I was...found by angels.

They showed me the terrible depth of my mistake,... my crimes, my...presumption. I have done years of penance in their service. A job, for which they said I was ideally suited. Now, perhaps, they will finally let me die. I think that might be wise."

"Good luck to you in your own holy cause my friend. May your choices have better results than mine. Remembered, not as a messenger, remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero, not even as human. Remembered only .. as Jack."

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
I walk through the fog, alone....
Always alone.
Even though I have those who are walking next to me.
It provides no confort.
For they are no companion,
Some fear me,
Most hate me,
Even fewer will call me to their side.
Though my touch is gentle, loveing..
My presence is abhored.
I disolve pain and suffering,
But even then they cringe away from me.
Some I take to a home of music, love and family..
But others' I must cast away...
Into a further pain for that is their destiny.
For even I have no power to absolve them of past sins...
And I have to watch as their torment begins.
No expression of remorse, pity or saddness shows on my face.
But in my being I weep for them.
I walk alone, though I have those who are walking next to me..
For I am but a messager...
A force of nature..
The ultimate consumer of the spark of life..
I have been called many names and have walked in many ages.
I am darkness, a final sleep.
I am the light at the end of a long road,
It does not matter.
My company is the sick, the healthy, the rich and the poor.
Be they young or old, all are truley equal in my eyes,
Though those eyes are hidden by a black hood.
I will give u my hand openly....
For once taken it will end your dread of me.
I walk alone, though I have those who are walking next to me..
Through a mist where time has no meaning,
On a path my foot has touched many time.
The day will come when you'll walk with me too.
Down a lane to a place, that even I can not enter.
As I turn to go, to continue my journey..
Take a moment to think kindly of me and maybe a smile.
For I walk alone, though I have those who are walking next to me.
I am the end,
I am the beganing..
For I am..... Death.
And I am standing behind you right now.

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
This is a record of my life, my existence *heh*, .... if you can call it one.

My name is... was Michael Morbius, a doctor specializing in the study of rare blood disorders. Study??? Little did I know that my choice of a medical expertise was a possible cure that became a hellish damnation I must endure till a merciful end comes to my life... who am I kidding this is not a life... this is a nightmare, one that I would gladly sell my soul to the devil if I could but awaken for it!!! But enough of my self pity, you aren't here for that. My.. "Before life" was a dream come true. I had graduated second highest in my class in college, with a doctorate in both Hematology and Micro Biology. The world of medical science was my play ground and I was going to take all it had to offer no matter what the cost... and Marne was going to be at my side. Who is Marne you ask ??? Dr. Marina Stratton, class mate, friend, lover. She stood by me even when I was so engrossed in studying that I would unintentaly ignore her for days... she was always there, Her and my best friend and loyal lab assistant Andreas Nichademos, formally a exchange student from Greece. He like I, was passionate for unlocking secrets in the study of medicine other doctors thought was getting to close to playing god. I thought them old fools w/ their smug ideas that we shouldn't delve into such things. HA, I'd show them, I'd show them all !!! Then lets see them scoff at my theories, laugh at my papers on "Post Regeneration of Hemoglobin by Genetic Manipulation."...I'll have the last laugh !!! Yes I did... but no one is laughing now, ... especially me.. You see wither you believe in "fate", "karma", "joss" or even "destiny". It WILL catch up with you, and it extracts a most terrible price !!! 45 years ago I began experiencing extreme tiredness and a lack of concentration, I owed it up to long hours in my lab. Then when I used some of my own blood as a foundation for a experiment I was running, as I had millions of times before, something new showed up in my microscope.... something not there in the thousands of other sample I had drawn countless times before.
No... not "cancer", I wasn't that lucky. I would welcome that for there is a chance for a cure and full recovery. No what I found chilled the very blood that fed and grew it..... "hemosacardomytosis". I know..it doesn't seem familiar or even known to you. "Hemo"- blood, "Sacardo"- in layman terms it means "Cascade break down". I had a very very rare and deadly disease. My blood (For lack of a better example) was literally becoming a row of dominos as u knock down one it starts a chain reaction and knocks down the one next to it and the next and the next... my blood was doing exactly that. A infected red blood cell would start to die, but before it did it infected the next then die, that cell would infect the next and so on and so on. I was slowly dying more and more with every beat of my heart. At first I didn't believe it, then ranted and raved that "It wasn't fair !!!", finally I accepted it, but there was no way in "HELL" I would let this stop me from attaining my dreams and hopes. Success and acceptance in my field and a happy long life with Marne !!! So locked away in my lab, with Marie and Andreas, I began working harder then ever before. I poured over all texts, accessed all computer records, all known information known to man in the world about my disease and any and all possibilities for a cure. Finally it appeared and not a moment sooner. I calculated I had about 6 months till I would be too weak from anemia by the loss of red blood cells to continue my research and die a most slow and degrading death. Bats !!! More commonly the s
outh american species "Macrocyropterrix hemopoterus", a form of the vampire bat, very rare and about to become extinct because of de-forestation.
We booked the first flight to Bolivia and went into the deep deep jungle w/ our guide Jose', a old but surprising spry old man of 85 yrs. He was the only one to have seen and known where to find the bats. After 2 weeks, which seemed like years to me in my ever increasing state. We finally found the only cave that was the home to my salvation !!! All the stories were correct on the bats' dwindling numbers we had to go deep in the cave before we found a massive cavern that housed them, I saw my hopes smash there were only 20 bats still alive, on the floor were the tiny bones of hundreds..no thousands of this species that died of starvation because of the loss of their only food source. True they needed blood, but they also need a steady diet of the local rare insects. The very insects destroyed by the constant clearing and burning of the forest.
We were able, after many failed attempts, to trap all 20. But they were the minimal amount I needed, because of extreme difficulty of trapping them and my time running out, we had to be satisfied. Besides I had a idea for a way to synthesize more bat hemoglobin. My regeneration research. Yes it was untested or even tried, but it was my only hope. We returned to the states w/ our smuggled cargo to a house I had rented so we wouldn't be disturbed. A makeshift lab was built in the basement and we were ready. I had drained every bat dry and was able to recreate more of their hemoglobin. What did I care if I completely wiped out a entire species, I was would jealously pay any price to live !!!
The process for the cure would be both very long and extremely painful, as I would be receiving the blood, massive volts of near lethal electric current will go through my body to stimulate those new blood cells. Blood cells now protected to with stand and reject the deadly disease. My own body's cells would continue to die off but new one would take their place and I would live. Live !!! We begin the process..... I feel a coolness... then.... PAIN !!! Pain like a thousand knifes are slicing away my skin layer by layer and salt is being poured over the exposed flesh I can't stand it, but I am strapped down and secured so I can't move before the pain blinds me I see Marne in my mind, she is terrified, I can't stand to see her like that so I block it out and fight back the pain. I focus on the life I will be living after all...to see Marne as she accepts my proposal, as she walks down to me to take our vows. Our children being born, I promised her after the experiment that I would give up my research, take a job at one of the universities that have hounded me to work for them. Settle down to a normal life for because of my illness, the feeling of death taking step after step toward me with it's hand outstretched ready to claim me, gave me a new and profound reason to treasure it. Then... through the pain I feel it... strength coming back to my arms.. my chest, my legs.. I almost feel as if I could rip the restraining straps. I am alive..ALIVE !!! Thank you, what ever merciful deity is out there I am alive !!! I a............. wait a minute...... a new feeling.............. my throat is tight..... must be slight side effect from dehydration caused by the electric shocks.... it will pass...... now a thirst..... I pray this is over soon, first thing I am going to do is drink gallons of water....ha, ha.ha what a sight I'll be !!! Then grab Marne and we'll run down to the beach behind the house and as the ocean waves roll in ask her to marry me......... wait the thirst grows...... painful, not like the shock but bad enough.... it's worsening... please God let it be over soon !!! Andreas !!! No, he has strict orders and is dedicated enough he won't stop the procedure till all my bod
y's readings are normal, I even took aside and made him promise me, not to stop even if it kills me, better to die now then later. I can't stand it, I have to try and signal Andreas, no the pain increases he hasn't. I'm in agony... this thirst !!! I feel my arms fight against the stirrups, I pull... pull... pull... .wait... their giving... I am getting free, is it over has Andreas decided to stop and release me ??? No, I am pulling the straps right from the table !!! The new strength I felt. I hear the fabric rip, the bolts holding them pulling from the floor ??? I free my arms and rip off the chest strap, I pull out the wires attached to my body. The pain eases but the massive thirst remains, I must take off the helmet with the sensors, I must see how to stop this, it was madness to do this. The others were right !!! I went too far, and I now am paying the price. As I remove the helmet I am blinded by the lab lights. That is to be expected, my pupils are probably dilated, but it feels like its burning right through my head !!! In the terrible glare I make out Andres running towards, but as I thrash around trying to free myself, the bolts on one of the straps catches him up side his face and gashes his cheek. He falls back on the fall, as I finally rip apart the final straps holding my legs. I am free, but the thirst remains. I am still almost to totally blinded by the lights but I hear Andreas moaning as he lays on the floor, get off the table and go to see what I can do to help, blood is running down his face to his hands and the floor. Even in the glare I see the redness off it, deep and rich I press my hand against his cheek to stop the bleeding and for a second I freeze... I smell it..... a intoxication aroma.... like fruit..... I must be imagining things, but... its stronger. I can almost taste it. Then I look down and see the blood...the scent was coming from it !!! The blood.... the blood.... my thirst aches... must sate it... must quench my thirst.... I hold my blood soaked hands to my face... and involuntarily I pull my hands close and .... start to lick my hands... the blood.... it makes me better...more...must have more...thirsty... I look down and see the open wound slowly stop bleeding. NO !!! MUST HAVE MORE !!! I start to come closer to Andreas, he slowly opens his eyes, through the white haze I see them widen as if in absolute terror and I hear him scream !!! I hear him cause now I have ripped open his shirt and buried my face against his throat, the scream is gurgled and I bite down on him, his throat opens easily as if I used a knife and blood shoots in my mouth. I feel it going down my throat, coating it soothing it, the sweetness, like wine, my head swoons as I suck harder. Andreas' hands were gripping my shoulders trying to push me away but now they are loosening. I feel the flow of blood lessen, so I suck as hard as I can gashing his throat over and over trying to get more... I taste bits of flesh in my mouth.... finally Andrea?s hands fall to the floor and no more blood comes forth no matter how hard I suck on him..... then I hear it...
A SCREAM !!! I look up and the glare is lessening, in the now clearing fog I see Marne standing there she is looking at me, her eyes as wide as Andreas' were and her mouth is wide open as she screams over and over. She was suppose to wait till it was over. She must of gotten my extra keys to let her self in. I stand up and try to say her name, but the blood and flesh are stopping me. I remember my note pad should be on the table next to the equipment , I turn to grab it, just to write "I'm Ok, I'm cured...' then I catch my reflection in the in the stainless steel of the table... My flesh is now ghostly white, I bring my hands up to touch it and see them clearly now, their white too. My finger nails are now longer and pointed. I look down and tear off my hospital gown it shreds to reveal that my whole body is ble
ached white, I don?t notice my muscles, that long since disappeared have returned and added to what is there till later. I look at my face in the reflection again... my now sharpening eyes, are now a sickly yellow with a blood red iris, no more the hazel I knew. My ears are slightly pointed also, I remember a flash of the TV. Spock and that they looked like his.. but what I saw next froze both mine blood and that of poor Andreas, now within me. My teeth... FANGS... the canines are now longer, like a cats'. My mouth is red from the blood but I can see the teeth clearly. Then the dark comic jest opens before me ...the bats.. THE BATS !!! It was there blood, it mutated me, into this horror, this... O..M..G.. I am now a VAMPIRE !!! Like the horror movies I saw as a kid, I am now a creature who's existence relies on a blood lust that must be satisfied." If I could scream, I would of joined Marne.
My God, what have I done ??? I hear a sound behind me, and as I spin around I see Marne again. She has quit screaming and is just staring at me in terror, I move toward her to calm her. "Marne it's me..Michael.. it's Michael." I see her eyes roll in her head and run to her before she can faint. I am shocked to see I moved the 20 feet between us in less then a second !!! I catch her just as her knees buckle and ease her slowly to the ground laying her down. I get some smelling salts and crack one vial under her nose, even though I am kneeing by her I can smell the foul stuff. I almost choke myself as Marne coughs and slowly awakens. Her eyes widen again and I take her hand, again saying "Marne dearest, don't be scared Its me Michael, Every thing is going to be fine. ". I hear her softly say.. "Michael ??? Your face.. your body... OMG where?s Andreas ???" Then she sees him, laying lifeless on the floor. His throat literally torn out by my savage attack. "Michael dear God, what have you done ??? He was your best friend !!!"
True I loved him like a brother, but minutes ago he was meaningless, just a easement for my animal thirst, nothing else.... a thirst returning.... As Marne looks away at Andreas, I shift my eyes to her neck... I can hear her heart beat... see it pulse through the cerotic artery...full of blood... sweet blood... so close.. just a quick slash w/ my teeth and all that nectar will be mine..MINE !!!! Then I realize what I am thinking and I push myself back. Marne surprised asks what's wrong ??? "GET OUT, GET OUT MARNIE !!! LOCK THE DOORS AND RUN AWAY NEVER LOOKING OR COMING BACK HERE. NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !!!" But it was I was slowly getting up, my mouth watering as I look at her. She doesn't move as I sweep at her and grab her against me I grab her head and tilt it to the side exposing the skin covering the artery. As I maddened by the need for blood, move my now open mouth to her throat I hear her silently whisper... "I love you, Michael." I froze...
"WHAT IN HEAVENS NAME AM I DOING ??? I push her away and run out the door. I must end this madness, I must awaken from this dream. I want to be back on the table with Andreas telling me we failed and I am the same as before. Weak and feeble, I would welcome that with open arms. As I run out the front door, sunlight falls on me. It burns my skin as if I was touched w/ a white hot poker. My skin blisters, my eyes sting. But I keep going, I must end this... end it now !!! I run up the hill to the cliffs by the old abandoned light house, better to die then be a monster. Suicide may be a sin and I hope God forgives me. I reached the cliffs and looked down as the waves washed over the jagged rocks. I stretched out my arms and closed my eyes and whispered "Forgive me Andreas. I love u Marne. Both of you think of me as I was, not as I am" and jumped. I remember feeling the air blow past my body as I fell.. for a second time seemed to stand still. You do
see your life flash by. My childhood, my parents, long since dead. My years in high school and college, the first time I met poor Andreas at a lecture. Marne with a cup cake and a single candle on my birthday, graduation. Traveling to Venice for the festival of lights on the canals... everything... then I hear a great crash and feel pain.. I open my eyes and see I landed on a sharp rock and tore open my chest, I am laying in the waves as my blood reddens the water around me. I feel myself floating, out to sea and a blackness over comes me....
I awaken, laying on the sand, as the sun was just rising. Sand was in my mouth and hair, dazed I sat up. Remembering the gash I looked at my chest, I could still see a slight scar and discoloring. But both were disappearing before my eyes. I was almost completely healed. Even the blisters were gone. Just then a ray of sunlight hit me, searing pain shot up me. Like a mythical vampire, I don?t go up in flames. But I burn as sure as if I jumped in a bonfire. I knew I had to find shelter and fast..... THE LIGHTHOUSE !!! I got up and ran clumsily back up the hill and to the light house. Modern sea travel didn't need it anymore since GPS came out so it was decommissioned and left to rot. I pushed on the door, locked. The sun was rising further. 2 more mins and I will be caught in the open to burn. No other shelter to hide, so I kicked in the door, and surprised to see it splintered under my bare foot. I rushed inside just as a ray hit my shoulder and blistered it. I looked around, there has got a store room or cellar. Finding a door I saw stairs going down and a dank musty smell. I fly down the stars slamming the door behind me. It was pitch black as midnight, yet I could see quite well. Rats scurried, I could hear them. I sat down on a pile of sack and in moments was asleep. I awoke and discovered that the ungodly thirst had returned. I tried to fight it but It won. I quickly scooped a near by rat and sunk my teeth in the squeaking rodent draining it dry in less then a second. The other rats scurried away, hissing at me from hiding. For a predator had invaded their home and was still hungry. I sat and listened... I could hear exactly where they were, how many and what size. I then sprang from my "bed" and tossed crates as if they were tissue.
5 rats later I sat in a drunken stupor. As my head cleared, I got up and looked in those smashed crates. Finding some old clothes that I had seen fishermen wear. I put them on and walked up stairs. I could see from the smashed door way it was now nighttime. I only had one thought in my mind, "Marne". I made my way back to the house, marveling at my new born abilities. I could hear the slightest sound, like a owl's heartbeat. Could see anything that moved by its body heat. The night before this was a time the world shut down, when in reality it was more active then in the day. As I approached the house I slowed and stood still. I listened and found silence, no movement. I entered the darkened house and called out for Marne. No answer, I went down stairs to the lab. Andreas' body was gone and so was his blood on the floor. I caught a whiff of perfumer and spun around hoping it was Marne, but it wasn't. The smell came from a note by the controls Andreas last used:

Dearest Michael,
I hope you get to read this letter. I don?t know or understand what has happened to make you the way you are now. But I know you aren't at fault. I am going to take Andreas' body and.. may God and Andreas forgive me, hide it. Where no one will find it. If anyone asks me I will say he is traveling somewhere in Greece with you. That you wanted to see his homeland before you die. After a while I will tell them I got a letter from him telling me you had died, and that I should come there to bury you. That is half lie. I am really leaving. Though it pains me as much as it is for you at this moment, I must. I will change my name and live a new life. Don't think I a doing this for me, its for you. If I
am found they will keep digging till they discover you and your... condition and that will only cause you harm, maybe even your death. And I wont be reasonable for causing either. I love you Michael, you know that already. Don't try and find me. If your condition improves, still don't. Andrea's and your sudden leaving is causing some suspicion but I reassured them away. I'll think of you often and will remember you for ever. Again I say what you know.... I love you, I always have and always will.

Good bye. -Marne.

I collapsed and fell to my knees, my life was gone, my dreams shattered, my hopes destroyed. I gripped the letter in my fist and screamed as loud as I could. When I stopped I could hear nothing, no sound, no movement. All the life that night froze cause a terrible and wicked creature roared. That was 45 years ago, and yes I looked for Marne, for 15 years. No trace remained. She had completely and utterly disappeared. I wandered the country side leaving a trail of dead farm and wild animals, drained of blood. Hoping for some clue, some sign of her. None. 45 years... and I haven't aged a day. Now I am back doing research, I quietly emptied my bank accounts before I would be missed and set up another lab. Trying to find a cure........ for the cure.

Like I said before... my name is ...
was Michael Morbius,
healer,
vampire....
damned.

PanDora

PanDora

#1 Shifters Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I like it. Will there be more?
-Proud member of the AHCC.

I have an "'I RULE THE WORLD AND YOU CAN SUCK MY ANUS!" sticker, compliments of the Countess. Fear me.

...but you don't have to suck my anus; complete submission will suffice.

PanDora

PanDora

#1 Shifters Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Love...
For a mate or a friend....
Is the true immortal.
Unaffected by time, distance and pain.
Always there....
Always welcome.....
Always embraced.
Cherished by angels....
Despised by demons.
Love is the only constant in the universe...
It exists when a newborn star first burns hot and blinding...
And when it finally dies and turns cold and dark.
It's a deafening roar heard in Heaven...
And a whispered blasphemy in Hell.
A man and a woman, locked together are only having sex...
No passion, no romance, no joining of souls...
A man and woman can go through the motions but...
Only true lovers can achieve it.
It is the one thing God didn't create...
For it existed before him...
And it will exist after he has gone.
It transcends even divine will and even Death has no power over it.
It is as it is...
For it is.....
Love.

Beautiful.
-Proud member of the AHCC.

I have an "'I RULE THE WORLD AND YOU CAN SUCK MY ANUS!" sticker, compliments of the Countess. Fear me.

...but you don't have to suck my anus; complete submission will suffice.

Wodny Muz

Wodny Muz

Horton Hears A Who

• Members
  • 99 posts
Well that took a piece of my life to get through but it was worth it.

Thanks Jack, I look forward to another entry.

Celeste

Celeste

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Anything really, hanging around with friends, going to clubs, playing pool, listening to music, reading, movies, dancing, smoking, playing some sports, etc..
Woah Jacque your poems are damn long, but very well writen...

Mourning Angel

Mourning Angel

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 44 posts
Hi Jacque,
As you know, I think your work is absolutely breathtaking!
Definate talent.
Stunning, brilliant, and beautiful... :)

~Peace and Love~

.....Always Armands Angel.....

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
Awww thank you all for your kind words. I'll try and do some more. I do have a "X-Files" story I have been working on and off for years. I may post it.

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
*I wrote this in the form of a television script so consider that when reading it. Let me know your opinions on it.

THE X-FILES.

"LAZARUS. OR LOVE IS THE TRUE IMMORTAL."

X-FILES STORY IDEA.

CHARACTERS:

-AGENT DANA SCULLY: SPECIAL AGENT FOR THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION. {F.B.I.}

-AGENT FOX MULDER: SPECIAL AGENT FOR THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF
INVESTIGATION. {F.B.I.}

-DIRECTOR WALTER SKINNER: DIRECTOR OF INTELLIGENCE FOR THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION. {F.B.I.}

-AGENT GORDON PETERSON: SPECIAL LIAISON OFFICER FOR THE NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY. {N.S.A.}

-AGENT MAXWELL JACOBSON: COMPUTER ANALYST FOR FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION. {F.B.I.}

-ISAAC K. PRESTON: FORMER DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL OPERATIONS - FOREIGN AFFAIRS DIVISION, NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY.
{N.S.A. - RETIRED.}

-THOMAS C. INVERESS: FORMER DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS FOR THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. {C.I.A. - RETIRED.}

-JAMES R. DOUGLASS: FORMER SPECIAL OPERATIVE FOR THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. {C.I.A. - RETIRED.}

-BRADLEY L. FISHER: FORMER SPECIAL OPERATIVE FOR THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. {C.I.A. - RETIRED.}

-MICHAEL A. GORDON: ASSISTANT TO THE NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR. (N.S.A.)

-SHERIFF JOSEPH DONNERLY: SHERIFF OF JACOB'S COUNTY, VIRGINIA.

-DEPUTY CURTIS MAYFAIR: DEPUTY SHERIFF OF JACOB'S COUNTY, VIRGINIA.

-ANNE ROSTONE: HOUSEKEEPER FOR ISAAC K. PRESTON.

-DR. CHARLES METZGER: MEDICAL EXAMINER, RICHMOND, VIRGINIA.

-DETECTIVE MIKE ROWLANDS: D.C. POLICE, HOMICIDE DIVISION.

STORY LINE:

(OUTSIDE SCENE.) NIGHTTIME, A STORM IS RAGING. THE SHOT OF A HOUSE NEXT TO A LARGE LAKE, THE HOUSE IS A CAPE COD TYPE. IT'S DARK EXCEPT FOR A SINGLE WINDOW LIT BY AN ORANGE GLOW. (THE CAMERA MOVES TO THE WINDOW.) RAIN SPLASHES AGAINST THE WINDOW PANE. THOUGH THE WINDOW A LIBRARY WITH A FIREPLACE CAN BE SEEN AND A BIG EASY CHAIR, ITS BACK TO THE WINDOW, IS FACING THE FIREPLACE.

(THE SCENE INSIDE THE LIBRARY) (SOUND: FIRE CRACKLING, AND A SLIGHT DRIPPING SOUND CAN BE HEARD.) APPROACHING THE CHAIR FROM THE LEFT, A FIGURE CAN BE SEEN SITTING IN IT, HIS ARMS LYING ON THE ARM RESTS. AS THE CAMERA MOVES AROUND WE SEE IT'S A MAN (70'S, THINNING SALT AND PEPPER HAIR) BOUND TO THE CHAIR, HIS MOUTH, STUFFED WITH A SILK HANDKERCHIEF. HIS ARMS TIED TO THE ARM RESTS, HIS LEGS TO THE CHAIR LEGS. A CLOSE-UP (45 DEGREES) OF HIS FACE, SHOWS HIS EYES ARE RED AND MOIST, HIS CHEEKS WET AS IF HE'S BEEN CRYING FOR SOME TIME. THE BOTTOM HALF OF A FIGURE APPEARS, WEARING A BLACK OVERCOAT AND BLACK GLOVES. THE BOUND MAN'S EYES FOLLOW THE FIGURE AS HE APPROACHES. THE GLOVED HAND TOUCHES THE MAN'S HEAD AND GENTLY SMOOTHES BACK THE BOUND MAN'S HAIR AND MOVES DOWN AND PATS HIS CHEEK LIKE A CHILD. THE CAMERA MOVES DOWN THE MAN TO HIS {LEFT} ARM WHERE A NEEDLE AND A INTERVENES TUBE IS STICKING OUT. BLOOD IS FLOWING THRU THE TUBE. THE CAMERA FOLLOWS THE TUBE DOWN TO THE FLOOR WHERE A NEARLY FULL QT. BOTTLE SITS AND DROPS OF BLOOD ARE DRIPPING, FILLING THE BOTTLE. THE GLOVED HANDS CLAMP OFF THE TUBE, REPLACES THE BOTTLE WITH AN EMPTY ONE, AND RESTARTS THE BLOOD FLOWING AGAIN-DROP BY DROP. THE GLOVED HANDS SEAL THE FULL BOTTLE, WITH A PIECE OF PLASTIC WRAP AND A RUBBER BAND AROUND THE RIM.

A SIDE SWIPING CAMERA (LEFT TO RIGHT, HEADING UP, FROM THE FLOOR - PAST THE MAN, TO THE FIRE PLACE.) SHOT OF THE MANTLE ABOVE THE FIRE PLACE SHOWS KNICKKNACKS (PICTURES, A LITTLE IVORY STATUE, A STUFFED FISH), AND A 1 QT. BOTTLE ALREADY FULL AND SEALED, AS THE GLOVED HAND PLACES THE RECENTLY SEALED BOTTLE NEXT TO IT. THE HAND THEN SLOWLY REACHES FOR TWO OF THE PICTURES THERE AND HOLDS THEM IN HIS HANDS SO THE FIRE GLINTS OFF THE FRAME AND ILLUMINATES THE PICTURE. ONE IS B&W OF A YOUNG WOMAN, THE OTHER IS AN OLD YELLOWISH PHOTO OF 4 MEN ON A FISHING TRIP. A CLOSE-UP OF ON
E OF THE FACES, THEN A SHOT OF THE MAN TIED IN THE CHAIR, HIS EYES FADING TRYING TO CLOSE LIKE HE'S FIGHTING GOING TO SLEEP, THEN TO THE PICTURE AGAIN, THEN TO THE MAN STILL FIGHTING TO STAY AWAKE, THEN TO THE PICTURE WHICH IS OF THE MAN IN HIS LATE 30'S - EARLY 40'S).

THE SHOT MOVES FROM THE PICTURE TO THE WINDOW WHERE THE STORM IS STILL RAGING OUTSIDE. JUST THEN THERE'S A THE SOUND OF SHATTERING GLASS. (NEW SCENE) THE SAME WINDOW, THOUGH IT'S NOW DAY TIME {MORNING} AND SUNLIGHT CAN BE SEEN POURING THROUGH THE CURTAINS, BIRDS SINGING, WATER DRIPPING FROM THE LEAVES OF A NEAR BY TREE. AS THE CAMERA PULLS BACK THE POLICE ARE MOVING AROUND THE ROOM LOOKING FOR CLUES, DUSTING FOR FINGER PRINTS. SHERIFF DONNERLY WALKS UP AND STANDS FOR A MINUTE AND SHAKES HIS HEAD, AS THE CAMERA SWING FROM HIM TO THE MAN IN THE CHAIR WHO IS ALL WHITE AND SLUMPED OVER STILL TIED UP. THE PICTURE FRAME WITH THE PHOTO OF THE WOMAN IS SITTING ON HIS LAP. THE SHERIFF TURNS HIS HEAD TO THE FIRE PLACE WHERE A FORENSIC OFFICER IS DUSTING THE 5 - 1QT. BOTTLES LINED UP IN A NEAT ROW, FILLED TO THE RIM WITH BLOOD FOR FINGER PRINTS. DEPUTY MAYFAIR ENTERS THE ROOM AND INFORMS THE SHERIFF THAT THE STATION JUST CALLED TO SAY THAT THE F.B.I. IS SENDING TWO AGENTS DOWN TO OVERSEE THE CASE. THE SHERIFF BITCHES THAT THIS IS HIS JURISDICTION AND THEY DON'T NEED TWO GOVERNMENT S.O.B.S NOISING AROUND, STIRRING UP TROUBLE AND GETTING UNDER FOOT.

(OUTSIDE SCENE.) A LIGHT GREY CAR PULLS UP THE MUDDY DRIVEWAY WHERE SEVERAL SHERIFF DEPT. CARS ARE ALREADY PARKED {LIGHTS FLASHING-RADIOS SCWALKING}. IT STOPS AND THE TWO-FRONT DOORS OPEN. AGENTS SCULLY & MULDER GET OUT AND WALK UP TO THE HOUSE SURROUNDED WITH "YELLOW CRIME SCENE TAPE". MULDER GRUMBLES SOMETHING ABOUT THE MUD AND HE SHOULD HAVE WORN GOULASHES AND SCRAPES HIS SHOES OFF ON THE FRONT PORCH STEP. THE FRONT DOOR IS OPEN. SCULLY ENTERS AND FLASHES HER BADGE AND ASKS FOR THE PERSON ON CHARGE AND IS DIRECTED TO THE SHERIFF. THE LOCAL FUNERAL PARLOR UNDERTAKER IS IN THE ROOM. HE IS ZIPPING UP A BLACK BODY-BAG AND HE AND AN OFFICER IS PUTTING IT ON A STRETCHER. SCULLY INTRODUCES HERSELF AND MULDER WHO HAS NOW CAUGHT UP, SHOWING THEIR F.B.I. BADGES. MULDER ASKS WHAT HAS HAPPENED? THE SHERIFF (LOOKS THEM OVER AND ANSWERS RATHER STIFFLY) INFORMS THEM, THAT AT 6 A.M. A WOMAN, EMPLOYED HERE AS THE HOUSEKEEPER, ARRIVED FOR WORK. HAVING HER OWN KEY, SHE ENTERED THROUGH THE KITCHEN. SHE PROCEEDED TO MAKE THE VICTIM'S BREAKFAST AND AS SHE WENT THROUGH THE HOUSE TO WAKE HIM, SHE BEGAN TO OPEN THE CURTAINS AROUND THE HOUSE SHE THEN CAME ACROSS THE VICTIM'S BODY. SCULLY ASKS IF THERE WERE ANY SIGN OF FORCED ENTREE. NONE. FORENSICS HAVEN'T UNCOVERED ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT YET, MAYBE WHEN THE REPORTS COME BACK SOMETHING MIGHT TURN UP. THE SHERIFF EXCUSES HIMSELF SO HE CAN HEAD BACK TO HIS OFFICE. LOOKING AROUND THE ROOM SCULLY SEE A DEPUTY POKING THROUGH THE FIRE PLACE (WITH A FOOT LONG PIECE OF KINDLING FROM A BRASS BUCKET OF KINDLING NEXT TO THE FIREPLACE.) AND CAREFULLY LIFTS A BLACKENED METAL PICTURE FRAME FROM THE NOW COLD ASHES AND PLACES IT INTO A PLASTIC BAG MARKED "EVIDENCE".

MEAN WHILE MULDER WALKS OVER TO ANOTHER DEPUTY WHO IS EXAMINING THE WINDOW SILLS. THE DEPUTY POINTS OUT THAT THE SILL WAS LOCKED FROM THE INSIDE, NO MOISTURE TO SUGGEST IT HAD BEEN OPEN LAST NIGHT HE MENTIONS. IN FACT HE WIPES HIS FINGER ALONG IT AS HE NOTICES A LITTLE BIT OF DUST ON THE SILLS. AS THE DEPUTY WALKS AWAY MULDER LOOKS OUT OF THE WINDOW AND NOTICES A SET OF FOOTPRINTS IN THE FRESH MUD. "HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN HERE?" MULDER ASKS. "ONLY THE HOUSE KEEPER, THOSE ARE HER TRACKS LEADING TO THE BACK DOOR." A DEPUTY ANSWERS. JUST THEN ANOTHER DEPUTY CALLS DOWN TO THE AGENTS FROM UP-STAIRS, UP IN A SPARE BED-ROOM TURNED INTO A STUDY ARE PAPERS SCATTERED ALL OVER THE FLOOR, A WOODEN FILE CABINET IS TORN APART AND A SMASHED COMPUTER SITS ON A DESK, DISKETS SCATTERED ON THE DESK, SOME DESTROYED, SNAPPED IN TWO, THE INSIDE DISKS THEMSELVES CRUMPL
ED, RIPPED UP. SCULLY GETS DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND SEES A RIPPED OUT PHONE JACK HANGING BY A COUPLE OF WIRES. SHE GETS UP AND INSTRUCTS THE DEPUTY THAT ALL THE ITEMS IN THIS ROOM IS TO BE BAGGED AND STORED AS EVIDENCE , A FEDERAL AGENT WILL BE HERE TO PICK THEM UP. SHE REACHES INTO HER COAT POCKET AND PULLS OUT HER CELL PHONE.

(NEW SCENE) THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE IN THE NEARBY TOWN OF CONNORSVILLE, JACOB'S COUNTY, VIRGINIA. SCULLY AND MULDER ENTERS THE SHERIFF'S DEPT AND CAN HEAR THE SHERIFF YELLING IN HIS CLOSED OFFICE. THE SHERIFF IS ON THE PHONE ARGUING THAT HE IS PERFECTLY CAPABLE TO INVESTIGATE THE MURDER WITHOUT HAVING TWO GOVERNMENT BIG WIGS LOOKING OVER HIS SHOULDER AND REMOVING EVIDENCE. WE THEN HEAR HIM SLAM DOWN THE PHONE. DEPUTY MAYFAIR THEN GETS UP FROM HIS DESK AND SHOWS THEM INTO THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE. SCULLY APOLOGIZES AND INFORM HIM THAT THEIR PRESENCE THERE IS STRICTLY AS OBSERVERS AND IF IN ANY WAY THEY CAN HELP, THEY WILL. SHE THEN EXPLAINS THAT THE EVIDENCE FOUND IN THE STUDY MIGHT HAVE SENSITIVE GOVERNMENT MATERIAL AND TILL IT IS STUDIED AND DE-CLASSIFIED IT WILL THEN BE TURNED OVER TO HIM. THE SHERIFF TAKES A DEEP BREATH AND RUNS HIS HANDS THRU HIS HAIR. HE LOOKS UP AND ALSO APOLOGIZES FOR HIS ATTITUDE TOWARD THEM AND ASKS WHY THE F.B.I. IS INTERESTED IN A SIMPLE MURDER INVESTIGATION ??? MULDER INFORMS HIM THAT THE MAN MURDERED HAD FORMER TIES TO CERTAIN GOVERNMENT SECURITY AGENCIES.. (THE C.I.A AND N.S.A.), AND SINCE HE WAS RETIRED IT IS NORMALLY OUT OF THEIR JURISDICTION TO CARRY ON THEIR OWN INVESTIGATION. THE F.B.I. WAS ASKED TO ONLY LOOK FOR ANY CONNECTION TO HIS MURDER AND HIS FORMER LINKS TO THOSE AGENCIES, JUST STANDARD PROCEDURE WITH UNUSUAL DEATHS OF PERSONS' WITH SENSITIVE NATION SECURITY POSITIONS. SULLY ASKS IF THERE HAS EVER BEEN A MURDER LIKE THIS IN THE AREA BEFORE ??? THE SHERIFF ANSWERS NO, CONNORSVILLE IS A TOWN WHERE YOU COULD NORMALLY LEAVE YOUR DOORS UNLOCKED AT NIGHT, BUT THAT'S GOING TO CHANGE ONCE THE NEWS ABOUT THIS MURDER GETS OUT. MULDER ASKS IF THE DECEASED WAS A KNOWN FIGURE IN TOWN ??? NOT REALLY, WE KNEW HE BOUGHT THE HOUSE 12 YEARS AGO, CAME OUT DURING THE SUMMERS. BUT HE DIDN'T START LIVING THERE FULL TIME TILL 9 YRS AGO AND WAS SEEN FISHING ON THE POND BEHIND IT MANY OF TIMES. THE MAID DID ALL THE SHOPPING. HE WOULD SHOW UP IN TOWN ONCE IN A WHILE MOSTLY TO PAY BILLS, PICK UP HIS MAIL, BASICALLY A VERY QUITE MAN, MOSTLY KEPT TO HIMSELF. THE AGENTS THANK HIM AND ASK TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THE REPORTS COME IN. THEY WILL BE STAYING AT A MOTEL NEAR BY.

(NEW SCENE) NIGHT TIME. A MOTEL CALLED "THE CAPTAIN'S CABIN." INSIDE SCULLY'S ROOM. A BEEPING SOUND DRAWS SCULLY OUT OF THE BATHROOM DRYING HER HAIR WITH A TOWEL. GRABBING HER JACKET, SHE REACHES FOR HER BEEPER, GLANCES AT IT AND WALKS OVER TO HER LAP TOP. SHE TURNS IT ON AND A MESSAGE APPEARS INFORMING HER THAT SHE HAS A E-MAIL MESSAGE FROM A AGENT MAX JACOBSON, WHO SHE EARLIER ASKED TO LOOK UP SOME BACK GROUND INFORMATION ON THE DECEASED -ISAAC PRESTON AND TO UPDATE HER ON THE DAMAGED COMPUTER RESULTS. AN I.D. PHOTO OF PRESTON TAKEN 15 YEARS EARLIER, SHOWS ON THE SCREEN AS THE INFORMATION SCROLLS BY:

--------------------------------------------------------------
-Beginning of personal information summery-

*Added notation(s) highlighted by Agent Jacobson.

Name: Preston, Isaac Kenneth

dob: 7/06/31

-Graduated top 3 in his class from Stanford University - 1951.
Majors: Political Science. Global History. Multiple Foreign Language courses (Russian, German, French, and Chinese).

-ROTC Training: Awarded Highest Honors.

-Married-1952: Barbara Grace Lynstrom: born:1933
Diagnosed with breast cancer, Terminal. died:1963

(A identical photo of the woman at Preston's house appears.)

-Military Service: Volunteered U.S. Army: Korean Asian Theater. Joint duty with British Intelligence MI-5 & U.S. Army G2-Military Intelligence: Opts. Command Head Quarters, Seoul,
South Korea.

-Top Secret Security Clearance: Level Q-4

-Duties & Honors: (Classified.)

-Inducted, C.I.A.-1955. After graduation from the training Academy at Langley, Virginia. Recruited for Special Operations-1957.

-Duties:(Classified.)

-Chosen as Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director of Special Operations Harold Mekas-1959.

-Duties while in office: (Classified.)

-Made Deputy Director of Special Operations. - 1961. After the indictment of former Dep. Dir. Mekas on unethical use of his office and perjury to members of a Congressional Ethics sub-Committee investigation into same.

*note: Exec. Ass. Preston was vital in exposing Dep. Dir. Mekas's activities and obtaining vital evidence for the CESC. Unfortunately Dep. Dir. Mekas died before his trial could begin, of a self induced gunshot wound to the head. Investigation result: Apparent Suicide.

-Duties while in office:(Classified.)

-Made Director of Special Operations.- 1964 after the untimely death of Director Sinclair. Dir. Sinclair perished in a automobile accident on 3-28-1964.

*note: The former Director's burnt car was found in a ditch 50 miles west of Washington D.C. The investigation by the State Police reveled he apparently lost control, and the car exploded on impact in a gully off the side of the road. Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash. His body, burnt beyond recognition was identified thru his dental records.

-Left the C.I.A. - 1980 to become Director of Operations, Foreign Affairs Division, National Security Agency. Officially left office in 1992 when the Clinton administration took office. Michael A. Gordon - Named replacement. Retired with full government pension & benefits.

*Last known to reside at his home at 1146 Ralich lane.
Duttonsburg, Virginia.

-End of personal information summery-

--------------------------------------------------------------

(NEW SHOT) SCULLY STARING AT THE SCREEN A BLUE TINT OVER HER FACE. MURMURS - "LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A BIG SHOT HERE." SHE CONTINUES TO SCROLL DOWN THE MESSAGE AND SEES:

"As for the retrieval of information on the damaged computer equipment, Hard dives and diskettes. No results at this time, will keep you updated on developments as they happen."

(NEW SHOT) LOCAL GREASY SPOON.

MULDER IS EATING BREAKFAST AS SCULLY WALKS UP TO HIS TABLE. SHE SITS DOWN AND ORDERS JUST COFFEE AND A BAGEL W/ CREAM CHEESE. MULDER ASKS IF THAT'S ALL SHE HAVING. "YEA" SHE SAID. AFTER THE WAITRESS LEAVES, SHE HANDS OVER A PRINT-OUT OF THE INFORMATION FROM HER LAP TOP TO MULDER. HE LOOKS AT IT AND GIVES A QUITE WHISTLE. MULDER MUMBLES - "SO IT WAS HIM!" SULLY SAID -"YOU KNEW HIM ?" "JUST BY HIS REPUTATION AND NASTY LITTLE STORIES TOLD AROUND INTER-AGENCY WATER COOLERS." MULDER MENTIONS THAT PRESTON'S NAME LOOKED FAMILIAR WHEN THEY WERE GIVEN THE ASSIGNMENT BUT HE DIDN'T PLACE THE NAME WITH THE PERSON TILL NOW. "HE WAS KNOWN AS A "CLIMBER." "CLIMBER?" ASKS SULLY. MULDER FLIPS THRU THE PRINT OUT AND ANSWERS "BY THE WAY HE ALWAYS SEEMED TO "CLIMB" INTO A HIGHER POSITION AFTER THE AXE FELL ON THE POOR SLOB HOLDING IT." SCULLY SAID- "LOOKS LIKE HE GOT TOO CLOSE TO THE BLADE THIS TIME." MULDER LOOKS UP "SO THE WOMAN'S PICTURE WAS OF HIS WIFE ?" SCULLY ANSWERS: "YES, I INFORMED THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT THAT WE IDENTIFIED IT. WHAT ARE WE DEALING WITH HERE MULDER, A COLD BLOODED MURDERER WITH A FLAIR FOR SENTIMENTALITY ?" MULDER PUTS DOWN THE PRINT OUT AND QUESTIONS "SINCE HE WAS FORMALLY WITH THE C.I.A. WHY WAS THE F.B.I. ASKED TO LOOK IN ON THIS ? GOD KNOWS, THE C.I.A. OR EVEN THE N.S.A. NEVER LET LEGALITY STOP THEM FROM CARRYING OUT A INVESTIGATION?" MULDER LOOKS AT ALL
THE CLASSIFIED MARKS - "LOTS OF HOLES HERE, I WONDER IF ANY OF THIS IS RELATED?" SCULLY - "DON'T KNOW, LET'S LOOK AT WHAT FORENSICS TURNS UP FIRST." THE WAITRESS RETURNS AND REFILLS THE COFFEE AND PLACES A PLATE W/ A BAGEL AND A PACKET OF CREAM CHEESE IN FRONT OF SCULLY. SHE TAKES A SIP OF COFFEE, WHEN OVER HER SHOULDER MULDER SEES A TALL GENTLEMAN IN A BLACK OVERCOAT, SUIT, TIE AND BLACK LEATHER GLOVES AND DARK SUNGLASSES ENTER AND LOOKS AROUND TILL HE SEES THE TWO AGENTS. HE REMOVES HIS GLASSES, HE HAS RED BLOOD SHOT TIRED EYES AND A THIN FRIENDLY SMILE COMES OVER HIS FACE. HEADS OVER TO THE AGENT'S TABLE. "AGENTS MULDER AND SCULLY ?" GORDON PETERSON INTRODUCES HIMSELF AND CASUALLY SHOWS A I.D. BEARING A GOVERNMENT SEAL. MULDER GIVES A STRANGE LOOK AND SAIDS "N.S.A.? WHAT BRINGS THE NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY TO CONNERVILLE ? NOTHING OFFICIAL REALLY, AGENT MULDER. I WAS JUST ASKED TO COME AND AID YOUR INVESTIGATION ANY WAY I CAN." SCULLY- "WHY, BECAUSE OF MR. PRESTON'S FORMER ASSOCIATION WITH YOUR AGENCY? SOME OF THE LATE DIRECTOR'S FORMER ASSOCIATES DON'T WANT ANY INTER-AGENCY HANG UPS TO HINDER YOUR INVESTIGATION. "WHAT'S NEXT, A VISIT FROM A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE C.I.A. ?" - MULDER. "GOOD GUESS. ACTUALLY I'M PULLING DOUBLE DUTY." AGENT PETERSON ANSWERS. "I'M OFFICIALLY A LIAISON WITH BOTH GROUPS, AND AS I SAID, I'M HERE TO GIVE YOU ANY AID I CAN." "ANYTHING?"- MULDER ASKS. "WITH IN...REASON OF REGULATIONS DEALING WITH NATIONAL SECURITY, OF COURSE." ?OF COURSE." - SCULLY ADDS, "WELL WE'LL BE STAYING MAYBE A DAY OR TWO, TILL THE OFFICIAL FORENSICS REPORTS AND THE AUTOPSY COMES IN." "FINE THEN."-PETERSON ADDS. "IF NEED ME JUST CALL AT THIS NUMBER ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT." AGENT PETERSON REACHES INTO HIS INSIDE COAT POCKET AND WITHDRAWS A COUPLE OF CARDS. HANDING THEM TO THE AGENTS. HE THEN REPLACES HIS SUNGLASSES AND SMILING LEAVES. MULDER WATCHES HIM LEAVE -"AWFUL FRIENDLY GUY ISN'T HE? TOO FRIENDLY." "AND HELPFUL TOO."-SCULLY ADDS. "MORE LIKE OBSERVANT, HERE TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE CASE ???" ".....AND US, DID YOU NOTICE SOMETHING A LITTLE OFF ABOUT HIM ???"-MULDER ANSWERS. SCULLY SIPS HER COFFEE,"LIKE WHAT ???" "DID YOU SEE HIS FACE, I SWORE HE NEVER BLINKED ONCE, STARED THE ENTIRE TIME AND THAT SMILE, LIKE WHAT YOU'D EXPECT A CAR DEALER OR A INSURANCE SALES MAN TO HAVE." SCULLY FACE TURNS THOUGHTFUL AS SHE BITES INTO HER BAGEL.

(NEW SHOT) THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE. MULDER & SCULLY WALK IN, THE ONLY ONE THERE, IS DEPUTY MAYFAIR. GOOD MORNINGS ARE PASSED AROUND. HE INFORMS THEM THAT THE SHERIFF IS OUT AT THE MOMENT, SO THE DEPUTY LETS THEM KNOW THAT SOME OF THE FORENSICS REPORTS ARE IN AND HANDS THEM A COUPLE OF MANILLA FOLDERS. "THE ROPE USED WAS A TYPE USED BY BOATS OF THE AREA. IT MATCHED THE ANCHOR ROPE ON THE DECEASE'S BOAT. THE FIBERS MATCHED AND THE CUT MARKS SHOW IT IS ALL THE SAME ROPE. THE INTERVENES NEEDLE & PLASTIC TUBING, WHICH WERE FOUND NEATLY COILED ON THE END - TABLE NEXT TO THE CHAIR, CAN BE PURCHASED AT ANY PHARMACY. WE HAVE LOCAL PLACES CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY SOLD ANYTHING LIKE IT RECENTLY. BUT THE BOTTLES WHERE INTERESTING IN THAT THEY WERE OF THE OLD TYPE MILKMEN USED TO DELIVER BEFORE THE LOCAL BIG SUPERMARKET OPENED AND EVERYONE SWITCHED TO PLASTIC." MULDER ASKS "DO THEY STILL DELIVER MILK IN THE AREA ?" THE DEPUTY SAID "NO, I WISH THEY STILL DID, IT'S FRESHER. BUT THEY STOPPED USING GLASS 30 YRS AGO. YOU KNOW, CAUSE PLASTIC IS CHEAPER TO RECYCLE AND EASIER TO TRANSPORT." SCULLY ASKS "WHERE, IF SOMEONE WANTED TO, COULD THEY GET HOLD OF SOME OF THE GLASS ONES ?" THE DEPUTY SAIDS "IT'S FAIRLY EASY TO GET, IN ANY OF THE ANTIQUE STORES, BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYONE AROUND HERE HAS A FEW, HELL EVEN I HAVE A COUPLE, TO HOLD CHANGE. MY SON USES ONE TO HOLD HIS TOY RACE CARS." HE SMILES "WHEN I
'M NOT BREAKING MY NECK TRIPPING ON THEM." WE HAD A CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE FLOORS BY THE FRONT AND KITCHEN DOORS TO SEE IF ANY MUDDY TRACKS WERE CLEANED UP, BUT HIT A SNAG THE HOUSE KEEPER SAID SHE MOPED RIGHT BEFORE SHE LEFT FRIDAY NIGHT AND TOOK OFF HER BOOTS OUTSIDE THE DOOR BEFORE SHE ENTERED, SO SHE WOULDN'T MAKE A MESS. SO WE CAN'T TELL THE LAST TIME IT WAS CLEANED. IF IT WAS FRIDAY BEFORE SHE LEFT OR LAST NIGHT TO COVER THE MURDERER'S TRACKS. ALSO THE MAID NOTICED THAT THE DISHES WERE DONE AND STACKED IN THE STRAINER, SO WE PULLED THE SINK TRAP. THERE WAS SOME FRESH SOAP RESIDUE FOOD PARTICLES AND SOME DIRT, SOMEONE CLEANED SOMETHING IN THE SINK THE NIGHT OF THE MURDER. (JUST THEN HE LOOKS UP QUICKLY.) OH HERE'S SOMETHING YOU NEED TO KNOW. WE FOUND TWO STEAK KNIVES MISSING FROM A KNIFE BLOCK IN THE KITCHEN. NOW WE TALKED TO PRESTON'S HOUSEKEEPER AND SHE SAIDS THAT ALL THE KNIVES WERE ACCOUNTED FOR WHEN SHE LEFT FRIDAY EVENING." SCULLY THEN INQUIRES ABOUT THE FRAME, THE DEPUTY LOOKS AT THE REPORT AND READS: "UMMM, A SIMPLE SILVER PLATED FRAME, BUT THE GLASS WAS BROKEN AND A PICTURE WAS REMOVED CAUSE A SINGED TORN CORNER PIECE WAS STILL STUCK IN THE FRAME. WE HAD THE ASHES ANALYZED AND NO CHEMICAL RESIDUE FROM HEATED PHOTOGENIC COMPOUNDS SHOWED UP TO SUGGEST IT BURNED WITH THE FRAME AND ALSO WE GOT A READ - OUT FROM THE PHONE COMPANY, MR. PRESTON RECEIVED A CALL ABOUT 9:00 P.M. THE CALL TIME WAS LESS THEN A MINUTE AND THE NUMBER WAS TRACED TO MADISON, NORTH OF HERE ABOUT 30 MILES. TURNED OUT TO BE A PAY PHONE. VIRGINIA STATE POLICE CHECKED IT OUT, IT WAS WIPED. BUT HIS COMPUTER DIALED OUT SEVERAL TIMES BETWEEN 1:00 A.M. AND 2:00 A.M."

"INTERNET ???" SCULLY ASKS.

"PHONE COMPANY HAS NO LISTING OF A PUBLIC SERVER AT THAT NUMBER AND WHEN WE CHECKED, ALL THEY GOT WAS THAT IT WAS A UNLISTED GOVERNMENT MAINFRAME IN WASHINGTON D.C., NO NAME OR LOCATION. HERE THE SHERIFF THINKS YOU'LL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT IDENTIFYING IT." (HE HANDS A PIECE OF PAPER WITH A PHONE NUMBER ON IT.) MULDER SAIDS "THE FIRST CALL MAY OF BEEN SOMEONE MAKING SURE HE WAS HOME. THAT'S MORE PROOF IT WASN'T JUST A GRISLY MURDER, THE MISSING PICTURE, A SMASHED COMPUTER THAT WAS USED DURING THE TIME OF DEATH. SOMEONE WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING. IT WAS EITHER DONE TO HIDE SOMETHING OR HE WAS REALLY UPSET HE WASN'T ABLE TO RETRIEVE ANYTHING FROM IT. SOMEONE WANTED ANSWERS." "TO WHAT ?" ASKS THE DEPUTY. "WELL UNFORTUNATELY, ONLY TWO PEOPLE KNEW WHAT, AND ONE OF THEM IS DEAD." SCULLY ASKS "HAS THE AUTOPSY HAD BEEN STARTED YET?" THE DEPUTY SAIDS "PROBABLY, A CORONER HAD TO COME ALL THE WAY FROM RICHMOND AND HE WASN'T ABLE TO GET HERE TILL THIS MORNING BECAUSE OF ANOTHER CASE. HE SHOULD BE WITH THE BODY RIGHT NOW." SCULLY SAIDS SHE IS GOING TO THE FUNERAL HOME TO "SIT-IN" ON THE AUTOPSY. MULDER SAYS THEN HE'LL HEAD BACK TO THE DECEASE'S HOUSE TO LOOK AROUND & WILL MEET UP WITH HER AT THE MAID'S PLACE TO QUESTION HER.

(NEW SCENE) MITCHELL & SONS FUNERAL HOME.

(NEW SCENE) A CLOSE UP OF A PAIR OF HANDS BEING WASHED. (PULL BACK) SCULLY WALKS IN AS THE CORONER IS STARTS TO TOWEL DRY HIS HANDS. SCULLY ASKS IF HE IS THE CORONER AND HE TURNS AND ANSWERS "YES." SHE I.D.S HERSELF. THE CORONER TURNS BACK TO THE SINK AND SAIDS "THE POLICE SAID THERE WERE SOME FOLKS FROM THE GOVERNMENT AROUND AND I WAS TO COOPERATE WITH YOU FULLY. IN FACT, I WAS JUST GETTING READY TO OPEN THE BODY." THE CORONER TOSSES THE TOWEL IN A HAMPER AND TURNS AGAIN TO FACE SCULLY. "THERE WAS A MAN HERE EARLIER, HE ALSO IDENTIFIED HIMSELF AS AN AGENT AND ASKED IF THE RESULTS FROM THE AUTOPSY WERE FINISHED, WHEN I TOLD HIM "NO" HE SAID HE'D RETURN LATER." "ANOTHER AGENT?" ASKS SCULLY. "F.B.I.?" "NO," HE THINKS FOR A SECOND. "N.S.A., PAULSON, PATERSON, I THINK ?" "PETERSON?" SCULLY ASKS. "YEAH, THAT'S IT! T
ALL DRINK OF WATER, STRANGE GENTLEMAN. SOMETHING ABOUT HIM ABOUT HIM SET ME ON EDGE." HE ANSWERS. HE PULLS SOME RUBBER GLOVES FROM A BOX AND HANDS THE BOX TO SCULLY. SHE PULLS A PAIR OUT. HE THEN HANDS HER A FACE MASK AND TIES ONE ON HIMSELF. THEN HE REACHES FOR A MICRO TAPE RECORDER PUSHES RECORD AND SETS IT ON A TABLE NEXT TO HIM MAKING SURE THE MICROPHONE IS POINTED TOWARD HIM. HE PICKS UP A CLIPBOARD AND STATES FOR THE RECORDING, THE CASE NUMBER AND NAME OF THE DECEASED. HE PROCEEDS TO OPEN THE CHEST UP IN A "Y" INCISION. AFTER SOME TIME OF LOOKING AROUND HE STATES:

THE PHYSICAL AGE OF THE MAN, THAT HE SMOKED, DRANK,

WHAT HE MUST OF HAD FOR DINNER AND THE TIME FRAME WHEN HE ATE.
THAT EVERYTHING LOOKED NORMAL EXCEPT FOR THE BLUISH PURPLE MARK ON THE ARM WHERE THE NEEDLE WAS INSERTED & THE BODY'S BLOOD LOST. OTHER THEN THAT HE LOOKED REASONABLY OK FOR A MAN HIS AGE AND LIFESTYLE. HE MENTIONS THE BRUISES ON THE WRISTS AND LEGS, BUT EXPLAINS THAT THE CAUSE WAS FROM THE ROPE THEY WERE TIED TO, HE TURNS TO SCULLY AND SAID "I'M SURPRISED THERE WEREN'T ANY OTHER MARKS ON THE BODY FROM A STRUGGLE WHEN HE WAS BEING TIED UP AT BEGINNING?" HE GOES BACK TO LOOKING OVER THE BODY. "SOME DRIED ADHESIVE RESIDUE AROUND THE MOUTH WAS FROM A DUCT-TAPE GAG." SCULLY MENTIONS "I SEE A CRUST AROUND THE EYES." THE CORNER STARTS COLLECTING A SAMPLE AND SAID "MIGHT BE DRIED TEARS, HE WAS ALIVE AND MOST LIKELY CONSCIENCE WHEN HE WAS BEING DRAINED OF BLOOD. WHICH EXPLAINS THE DEEPER TRAUMA BRUISES ON THE TOP OF THE ARMS WERE HE WAS MOST LIKELY FIGHTING HIS BONDS IN VAIN TO FREE HIMSELF." THEN SCULLY LOOKS CLOSER AND NOTICES SOME WHITE FIBERS JUST INSIDE HIS LEFT NOSTRIL. SHE TAKES SOME TWEEZERS AND PULLS THEM OUT, "LOOKS LIKE COTTON...", SHE SAID. THE CORONER HOLDS OPEN A TINY BAGGY AND SHE PUTS THEM IN. SCULLY ASKS "HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO DRAIN A BODY ?" "IF HE FOUGHT, HIS STRUGGLING MIGHT OF STARTED HIS BLOOD TO DRAIN MORE QUICKLY. THE STRESS WOULD CAUSE HIS PRESSURE TO GO UP. THE FIRST TWO BOTTLES 30-45 MINS FOR EACH. AFTER THAT MAYBE A HOUR AND A HALF FOR THE REST. THE TESTS ON THE BLOOD FROM THE BOTTLES WOULD TELL THAT, IDENTIFYING IT AS THE DECEASE'S. THE CLOTTING FACTOR WOULD TELL WHICH WAS FILLED FIRST. THE TIME OF THE MURDER. I SEEM TO HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE OBVIOUS CHOICE, THE UN-OFFICIAL CAUSE OF DEATH WAS FROM MASSIVE BLOOD LOST BUT I WON'T MAKE IT OFFICIAL TILL THE TESTS FROM THE BLOOD AND THE FIBER COME BACK LATER TODAY. RIGOR SUGGESTS HE DIED ABOUT 3:00 A.M. LOCAL TIME. I'LL MAKE IT OFFICIAL WHEN I GET THE GASTRIC TESTS BACK." JUST THEN A YOUNG MAN ENTERS AND HANDS A MANILA FOLDER TO AGENT SCULLY CAUSE THE CORONER HANDS ARE MESSY. SHE SIGNS FOR THE PACKAGE AND THEN OPENS IT TO READ THE CONTENTS. "RESULTS FROM THE BLOOD TESTING. CLOTTING OF HEMOGLOBIN TESTS PROVE THE BOTTLES WERE PLACED IN ORDER OF THEIR FILLING, LEFT TO RIGHT. NO FINGERPRINTS, BUT GLOVE SMUDGES. BLOOD TYPE MATCHES THE DECEASED..." SHE PAUSES FOR A MOMENT, "TOXICOLOGY PICKED UP TRACES OF ETHER IN HIS BLOOD. AMOUNTS ARE STRONGER IN THE FIRST BOTTLE AND GRADUALLY LOWER IN EACH OF THE LATER BOTTLES. HE WAS DRUGGED, THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE DIDN'T STRUGGLE AT FIRST AND MAYBE THE WHITE FIBERS FOUND IN HIS NOSE." "I'LL HAVE THEM TESTED RIGHT AWAY." THE CORONER SAIDS.

(NEW SCENE) OUTSIDE THE DECEASE'S HOUSE. MULDER WALKS AROUND LOOKING AT THE GROUND. HE THEN WALKS UP TO THE HOUSE AND LOOKS IN A WINDOW.

(NEW SCENE) FROM THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE. THE LIBRARY. MULDER IS SEEN LOOKING IN AND AROUND THE WINDOW. THE BOTTOM OF THE GLASS IS EVEN WITH HIS NOSE. HE LOOKS AT THE SILL AND TRIES TO OPEN THE WINDOW. IT WON'T OPEN.

(NEW SCENE) MULDER THEN BACKS UP AND LOOKS DOWN ON THE GROUND. HE THEN PUTS HIS HAND FLAT WITH THE TOP OF HIS HEAD AND MEASURES WHERE THE TOP OF HIS HEAD IS TO THE WINDOW. HE THINKS FOR A MINUTE. HE THEN WALKS OVER TO THE BACK KITCHEN DOOR AND STEPS UP ON THE
CEMENT PORCH, HE CROUCHES DOWN AND LOOKS CLOSE AT THE MUDDY TRACKS HE JUST LEFT AND THE DRIED TRACKS FROM THE HOUSEKEEPERS. HE STANDS AND LOOKS THROUGH THE WINDOW IN THE DOOR TO THE KITCHEN FLOOR. JUST THEN HE SPINS AROUND AS HE IS STARTLED. HE HEARS A SOUND. LIKE PAINT CANS BEING KICKED OVER, FROM THE BOAT HOUSE JUST TO THE BACK LEFT OF THE HOUSE. HE PULLS HIS GUN.

(NEW SCENE) FROM A DIRTY WINDOW INSIDE THE BOAT HOUSE. WE SEE MULDER SNEAK QUIETLY UP TO THE BUILDING. A DARK SHAPE WALKS BY THE WINDOW BLOTTING IT OUT FOR A SECOND, THEN PASSES.

(NEW SCENE) OUTSIDE THE BOATHOUSE. MULDER, HIS BACK AGAINST THE OUTER WALL SLIDES UP TO THE DOOR. A SOUND AGAIN, LIKE SOMEONE MOVING AROUND. MULDER TAKES A DEEP BREATH, RAISES HIS GUN, PUTS HIS HAND ON THE DOOR AND QUICKLY PUSHES IT OPEN.

(NEW SCENE) INSIDE THE BOATHOUSE. MULDER JUMPS IN YELLING "FREEZE!" THE SHERIFF, CLEARLY STARTLED, SPINS AROUND THROWING HIS HANDS IN THE AIR SAYING "HOLD IT - HOLD IT - HOLD IT!" MULDER PUTS HIS GUN DOWN BREATHING HARD AND APOLOGIZES. THE SHERIFF CURSES SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT LOOSING A FEW YEARS THERE. THE SHERIFF ASKS "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" MULDER SAYS "JUST LOOKING AROUND." THE SHERIFF SAIDS "ME TOO." MULDER MENTIONS "IT'S STRANGE, I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THE WINDOW OUT SIDE THE MURDER SCENE. ALL THE GROUND FLOOR WINDOWS ARE ABOUT 7 FT OFF THE GROUND. EVEN IF IT WASN'T LOCKED IT'D BE A LITTLE HARD TO ENTER WITHOUT SOMETHING TO STEP UP ON LIKE A LADDER. OTHER THEN THE HOUSEKEEPER'S, THERE WEREN'T TRACKS OR ANY OTHER FOOT PRINTS, THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHING SINCE IT WAS RAINING HEAVILY. AND IF THE MURDERER USED THE DOORS THERE SHOULD OF BEEN SOME KIND OF TRACKS FROM WET OR MUDDY SHOES. BUT THE DOORS ALSO WERE LOCKED AND THE FLOOR DRY. SO WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THE BOAT HOUSE ???" THE SHERIFF SAID "I WANTED TO GET A CLOSER LOOK AT THE BOAT THE ROPE WAS CUT FROM." THE BOAT'S ANCHOR SITS ON THE FLOOR WITH ONLY A STUB TIED TO IT. CLEANLY CUT. "ITS ALREADY BEEN DUSTED, NO PRINTS" HE SAID, "BUT LOOK AT HOW ITS BEEN CUT. (THEY BOTH CROUCH DOWN.) NOT SLICED WITH A KNIFE BUT CLIPPED WITH SOMETHING WITH TWO SHARP EDGES LIKE SCISSORS OR SOMETHING, AN EVEN PRESSURE CUT ON BOTH SIDES." MULDER ASKS "WERE SCISSORS FOUND?" "UTILITY SCISSORS, PRUNING SHEARS, ALSO SOME FOR HAIR CUTTING, BUT NONE THAT MATCHED THIS TYPE OF CUT OR THE CUT ON THE ROPES IN THE HOUSE, WHICH WE NOW KNOW WAS CUT WITH A SERRATED BLADE, MAYBE ONE OF THE MISSING STEAK KNIVES. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A CRIME COMMITTED WHERE THERE WAS VERY LITTLE OR NO EVIDENCE. WHAT I HAVE SEEN TELLS ME THE MURDERER IS SOME KIND A PROFESSIONAL. HE KNOWS WHAT TO GET RID OF AND WHAT NOT TO. NOW WE MEASURED THE ROPE THAT BOUND PRESTON, IF THIS WAS A STANDARD ANCHOR-ROPE SEVERAL FEET ARE STILL MISSING AND I HAVEN'T FOUND IT." "AND THE KNIVES ARE STILL MISSING ???" MULDER ASKS. "YES, WE CHECKED ALL OVER THE HOUSE AND DIDN'T FIND THEM." MULDER STANDS UP THEN FREEZES FOR A MINUTE STARING AT A HIGH SHELF. HE WALKS OVER AND CALLS OVER THE SHERIFF. THE SHERIFF COMES AND MULDER POINTS TO A RUSTED METAL MILK BOTTLE CASE ON A SHELF. THE SHERIFF LOOKS AROUND AND SEES A STEP-LADDER, HE BRINGS IT OVER AND STEPS UP ON IT TO GET A BETTER LOOK, HE SEES IT HAS 6 SLOTS FOR BOTTLES, ONE SLOT HAS A OLD DUST ENCRUSTED BOTTLE IN IT, THE OTHER 5 HAVE CLEAN, DUST FREE RINGS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE. THE SHERIFF LOOKS AROUND AND ASKS MULDER TO HAND HIS THE TWO SCREW DRIVERS IN A SLOT ON THE WORK BENCH. HE THEN USES THEM TO PICK UP AND STEP DOWN OFF THE STEP-LADDER. HE PUTS THE CASE ON THE WORK BENCH AND THEY BOTH LOOK AT IT. MULDER SAID "SEEMS WE'VE FOUND WHERE THE KILLER GOT THE BOTTLES."

(NEW SCENE) MULDER BEHIND THE WHEEL, TALKING ON HIS CELL-PHONE, INFORMING SCULLY, HE AND THE SHERIFF FOUND WHERE THE BOTTLES CAME FROM, AND THE SHERIFF IS CHECKING WITH FORENSICS TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING ON THE OTHER BOTTLE TO SUGGEST FINGERPRINTS
. HE THEN MENTIONS HE IS HIS WAY TO PICK HER UP TO INTERVIEW THE MAID WHO FOUND THE BODY. SCULLY MENTIONS THE FIBER AND THE BLOOD TOXICOLOGY REPORT.

(NEW SCENE-BACK IN TOWN, RESIDENCE OF MARK & ANNE ROSTONE.) AS THEY PULL UP, MULDER SAIDS: "GUESS WE'RE NOT THE FIRST TO HAVE THIS IDEA, LOOK." SCULLY LOOKS UP AND SEES AGENT GORDON PETERSON OF THE N.S.A. JUST GETTING OUT OF HIS CAR. HE WALKS OVER TO THE AGENT'S CAR, MULDER WINDS DOWN HIS WINDOW. "MORNING AGENT MULDER, AGENT SCULLY. I SEE YOU HAD THE SAME IDEA I DID, TO TALK TO MRS. ROSTONE. I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME DOING A LITTLE INFORMAL INVESTIGATION OF MY OWN ???" "I DON'T REALLY SEE ANY PROBLEM, IF YOU DON'T MIND IF WE TALK TO HER FIRST. WE THOUGHT SINCE SHE HAS HAD SOME TIME TO GET OVER THE SHOCK OF FINDING THE BODY, SHE MIGHT REMEMBER SOMETHING DIFFERENT." SCULLY SAIDS. "I HAD THE SAME THOUGH. I'LL JUST SIT QUIETLY IN THE CORNER SINCE IT'S YOUR CASE. SHE'LL PROBABLY ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS I HAD WHILE ANSWERING YOURS ANYWAY. SO I'LL LEAVE EVERYTHING TO YOUR CAPABLE HANDS." PETERSON SAIDS, FLASHING THAT SAME SMILE OF HIS.

(NEW SCENE INSIDE THE ROSTONE HOUSE.) MULDER AND SCULLY ARE SITTING ON A COUCH. PETERSON IN A CHAIR OFF TO THE SIDE. SCULLY HAS A NOTEBOOK OUT AND IS SCRIBBLING IN IT. A MICRO TAPE-RECORDER IS SITTING ON THE COFFEE TABLE. A WOMAN (MID 40'S) IS THERE SITTING IN A EASY-CHAIR, HER HUSBAND STANDS BEHIND HER, HIS HANDS ON HER SHOULDER. SHE'S SAYING THAT IT WAS THE MOST TERRIBLE THING SHE'D EVER SAW. THAT SHE'S BEEN HAVING NIGHTMARES ABOUT IT, WHEN SHE GET ANY SLEEP AT ALL. MULDER ASKS HER TO RETRACE HER STEPS THAT MORNING AND TELL THEM WHAT SHE SAW AND DID. HER HUSBAND INTERRUPTS "BUT SHE TOLD THE POLICE EVERYTHING!" SCULLY SAID "MR. ROSTONE IT'S NOT UNCOMMON FOR A WITNESS TO A SERIOUS CRIME TO HAVE MISSED SOMETHING WHILE BEING UNDER THE SHOCK OF SUCH A DISCOVERY, AS YOUR WIFE HAD. NOW THAT SHE HAS HAD SOME TIME TO CALM DOWN, COLLECT HER THOUGHTS, SHE MIGHT REMEMBER SOMETHING ELSE THAT SHE DIDN'T THINK OF BEFORE." ANNE ROSTONE PUTS HER HAND ON TOP OF HER HUSBAND'S. SHE LOOKS UP AT HIM AND NODS. SHE THEN SAIDS "I'VE BEEN WORKING FOR MR. PRESTON FOR 5 YRS. TAKING CARE OF THE HOUSE DURING THE WEEK DAYS." "AND YOU HAD WEEKENDS OFF?" MULDER ASKS. "YES, I WAS THERE MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY TILL ABOUT 6-6:30 P.M. AND I'D RETURN 6:00 A.M. MONDAY MORNING." "I DROVE UP TO THE HOUSE. I ALWAYS USE THE BACK DOOR BY THE KITCHEN, BUT IT WAS LOCKED. "DID MR. PRESTON ALWAYS LOCK THE DOORS?" MULDER ASKED. "YES, BUT ONLY AT NIGHT, DURING THE DAY EVEN IF HE WAS OUT THE HOUSE WAS OPEN. WELL, I REMEMBERED FUMBLING IN MY PURSE FOR A KEY HE GAVE ME. I ENTERED INTO THE KITCHEN. PUT THE BAGS ON THE COUNTER AND CALLED "HELLO.", SO MR. PRESTON WOULD KNOW I WAS THERE INCASE HE WAS UP. NORMALLY HE ISN'T, TILL I KNOCKED ON HIS BEDROOM DOOR TO COME DOWN FOR BREAKFAST. I PUT THE GROCERIES AWAY AND STARTED COOKING BREAKFAST. MR. PRESTON ALWAYS ATE IN THE KITCHEN, HE LIKED TO READ HIS PAPER, TALK TO ME, ASK ME ABOUT MY WEEK-END AND SO ON. I SET THE TABLE..." THE WOMAN'S EYES WIDENED. "WAIT A MINUTE!" SHE SAIDS "THERE WAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT." "YOU REMEMBER SOMETHING ?" PETERSON SAIDS. "WHAT WAS IT?" SHE MENTIONS "USUALLY THERE ARE DISHES IN THE SINK LEFT OVER FROM THE WEEK-END. MR. PRESTON HATED TO DO DISHES AND HE ALWAYS LEFT THEM FOR ME, THOUGH I DIDN'T MIND WASHING THEM FOR HIM. BUT THIS TIME THE TABLE AND SINK WERE CLEAN AND THERE WAS A LITTLE BIT OF DIRTY SOAPY MILDEW IN THE SINK, SO I RINSED IT OUT. THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THE MISSING KNIVES TILL THE SHERIFF ASKED ME. I ENDED UP DESTROYING EVIDENCE DIDN'T I?" SHE ASKS AS HER EYES START TO TEAR UP. "IT'S ALL RIGHT. YOU HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING." MULDER SAIDS THEN CASUALLY LOOKS OVER AT SCULLY. THE MAID STARTS CRYING AND SAIDS &q
uot;ISAAC PRESTON WAS SUCH A SWEET OLD MAN. WHO COULD HAVE DONE SUCH A HORRIBLE THING TO HIM?" SCULLY WAITS A MINUTE FOR ANNE ROSTONE TO COMPOSE HERSELF. SHE THEN ASKS "WAS MR. PRESTON NERVOUS WHEN SHE LAST SAW HIM?" "NO, NOT AT ALL." ANNE ROSTONE ANSWERS. "HE JUST SAID HE WAS GOING TO HAVE A QUIET WEEKEND. HE JUST MENTIONED HE'D SEE ME MONDAY." MULDER ASKS "AS YOU WENT AROUND THE HOUSE DID YOU NOTICE ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES THE DISHES OUT OF PLACE. MUDDY FOOT PRINTS IN THE KITCHEN OR THE FRONT DOOR WAY?" "NO, ALL THE WINDOWS WHERE CLOSED AND LOCKED, MR. PRESTON PROBABLY CLOSED THEM BECAUSE OF THE STORM THAT NIGHT. I KNOW CAUSE I WENT AND OPENED THE DRAPES AS I WENT THROUGH THE HOUSE." SCULLY ASKS HER "A DEPUTY FOUND A SILVER PICTURE FRAME IN THE ASHES IN THE FIREPLACE. DO YOU REMEMBER IT?" AGENT PETERSON STRAIGHTENS IN HIS CHAIR AND LEANS FORWARD. SHE ANSWERS "I SAW IT WHENEVER I DUSTED OFF THE MANTEL OVER THE FIREPLACE." "DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT WAS IN IT?" SCULLY ASKS. "IT WAS A PICTURE OF 4 MEN IN FISHING GEAR HOLDING UP THEIR CATCH OF THAT DAY. SMILING. AND ONE OF THE MEN WAS MR. PRESTON, BUT A BIT YOUNGER." "DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT WAS TAKEN AND WHERE?" SCULLY ASKS. SHE THINKS FOR A MOMENT. "SOME LAKE BUT IT HAD TO BE IN THE 60's OR 70's CAUSE IN THE BACK GROUND WAS A NEW CORVETTE. A COUSIN OF MINE HAD ONE JUST LIKE IT. I ASKED ONCE WHO THE OTHERS WERE, BUT ALL HE SAID WAS THAT THEY WERE SOME FRIENDS. HE DIDN'T MENTION ANY NAMES... FROM HIS WORK BEFORE HE RETIRED, AND HE MENTIONED HE SHOULD INVITE THEM HERE SOMETIME TO DO SOME FISHING." "NOW THE OTHER PHOTO WAS OF HIS WIFE RIGHT?" PETERSON ASKS. "YES, HE ALWAYS TOLD ME STORIES ABOUT HER WHEN WE TALKED. HE POINTED OUT HER PICTURE TO ME WHEN I FIRST STARTED WORKING THERE. I ALWAYS MADE SURE IT WAS SPOTLESS SINCE IT MEANT SO MUCH TO HIM." PETERSON, MULDER & SCULLY THANK HER FOR HER TIME, THEY TELL ANNE ROSTONE THAT SHE ANSWERED SOME QUESTIONS THEY WERE LOOKING FOR.

(NEW SCENE) OUTSIDE THE HOUSE. PETERSON, MULDER AND SCULLY WALK OUT OF THE ROSTONE'S HOME AND TO THEIR CARS. "CONCERNING THE MISSING PICTURE DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TO THE IDENTIFICATION OR LOCATION OF THE OTHER MEN???" "NO, NOT YET. CHANCES ARE SLIM UNLESS THE PICTURE IT SELF TURNS UP, THAT WE WILL BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY THE OTHER THREE MEN." SCULLY ANSWERS. PETERSON GETS A THOUGHTFUL LOOK IN HIS EYES THEN LOOKS UP AND SMILES. "WELL I'M NOT TOO SURE IF IT'S EVEN RELEVANT TO THE CASE, IT PROBABLY JUST BURNT IN THE FIRE PLACE ANYWAY. GOOD LUCK ON THE REST OF THE INVESTIGATION." PETERSON PUTS ON HIS SUNGLASSES AND WALKS AWAY. HE GETS IN HIS CAR AND PULLS AWAY. WAITING TILL THEIR IN THEIR CAR, SCULLY SITS THOUGHTFULLY THEN SAIDS: "A GOOD GUESS THAT THE MURDERER WASHED THE DISHES. WAS TO GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY SO HE COULD CLEAN THE BOTTLES TOO. MAYBE HE'S A PERFECTIONIST AND WANTED EVERYTHING JUST RIGHT." "OR A PROFESSIONAL...? MULDER ADDS. "TOO BAD." SAIDS MULDER AS HE STARTS THE CAR. "IF HE WASN'T A MURDERED I'D HIRE THEM TO CLEAN MY APARTMENT."

THEY DRIVE OFF.

(NEW SCENE) SCULLY & MULDER ARRIVE BACK AT THEIR MOTEL. A BLACK LIMO IS PARKED NEAR IT. THE TWO AGENTS LOOK AT IT AS THEY PULL UP AND GET OUT. A MAN (30-ish) GETS OUT OF THE FRONT DRIVER SIDE; HE IS WEARING A BLACK OVERCOAT, BLACK SUIT, TIE AND BLACK LEATHER GLOVES AND CALLS TO THEM. "AGENT MULDER, AGENT SCULLY?" "YES?" SCULLY ANSWERS. HE WALKS UP AND SHOWS AN I.D. CARD. "I'M HARRISON KING. I'M THE BODYGUARD FOR THOMAS C. INVERESS, FORMER C.I.A. DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS. MR. INVERESS WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU. PLEASE." HE MOTIONS TO THE BACK OF THE LIMO. AS THEY APPROACH THE REAR LEFT TINTED WINDOW LOWERS AND AN ELDERLY HEAVY-SET BALD MAN IS SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT. HE IS WEARING A BLACK SUIT, WHITE SHIRT, BLACK OVER COAT, HIS TIE IS RED AND HE IS ALSO WEARING
BLACK LEATHER GLOVES. HE EXTINGUISHES A CIGAR IN THE ASH TRAY. "GOOD EVENING AGENT MULDER, AGENT SCULLY. I'M THOMAS INVERESS. ISAAC WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE AND I'M INQUIRING INTO HOW HIS MURDER INVESTIGATION IS PROCEEDING. WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN THE WAY OF EVIDENCE OR A SUSPECT?" SCULLY GLANCES OVER TO MULDER AND SAIDS "WELL MR. INVERESS. THE INVESTIGATION IS STILL ON-GOING. I'M SORRY BUT UNLESS WE GET APPROVAL FROM OUR OFFICE WE CAN'T REVEAL ANY INFORMATION AT THIS TIME TO ANYONE OTHER THEN THE LOCAL LAW-ENFORCEMENT. I'M SORRY, BUT IF YOU CALL OUR SUPERVISOR, MAYBE WE CAN...." "YOU?RE REFUSING TO DISCUSS THE CASE WITH ME? YOU ARE AWARE I COULD GO OVER YOUR HEADS AND GET THAT INFORMATION WITH ONE PHONE CALL TO YOUR DIRECTOR SKINNER DOESN?T YOU?" INVERESS INTERRUPTS, HIS VOICE TURNING IRRITATED, HIS FACE A SLIGHT RED. MULDER ANSWERS: "YES SIR, BUT WITH ALL DUE RESPECT. YOU ARE... RETIRED AND THIS IS... AN ON-GOING MURDER CASE THROUGH THE OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT AND THE F.B.I. AND ANY HAMPERING FROM A PERSON OUTSIDE OF THE CASE, MAYBE BE SEEN AS INTERFERENCE WITH A FEDERAL INVESTIGATION AND THERE MAYBE ETHICAL AND LEGAL PROBLEMS IF YOU MAKE THAT CALL, SIR....? INVERESS, HIS VOICE GETTING LOUDER INJECTS: "WHY DON'T WE LEAVE THAT DECISION TO YOUR DIRECTOR INSTEAD OF TWO OF HIS FIELD AGENTS, WHO DON'T KNOW WHO THEIR DEALING WITH!!! I THINK I'LL MAKE THAT CALL, PLUS A FEW OTHERS ALONG THE WAY!!!" SCULLY CALMLY LOOKS AT INVERSS AND SAIDS: "WELL SIR, YOU DO WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT. IN FACT I'LL INFORM DIRECTOR SKINNER TO AWAIT YOUR PHONE CALL. SHALL I ALSO HAVE HIM INFORM TO WAIT FOR MORE THEN ONE???" MULDER'S EYES WIDEN A LITTLE AND HE SUPPRESSES A SMILE. INVERSS'S FACE TURNS BRIGHT RED AND HE YELLS "KING!!!? HARRISON KING QUICKLY WALKS AROUND THE CAR TO THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR AND HE GETS IN TO START IT. INVERSS TURNS TO THE AGENTS AND SAIDS "WE WILL SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN, AGENTS AND NEXT TIME IT WILL NOT BE PLEASANT. THAT I PROMISE!!!" HE THEN RAISES HIS WINDOW AND THE CAR PULLS OFF. THE TWO AGENTS WATCH AS THE LIMO DRIVES AWAY. MULDER THEN TURNS TO SCULLY AND SAIDS: "WE NEED TO WORK ON YOUR PEOPLE SKILLS, SCULLY. THOUGH YOU DO CONTINUE TO SURPRISE ME." SCULLY TURNS TO WALK TO THE MOTEL AND SAIDS: "ME TOO, MULDER, SOMETIMES I SURPRISE MYSELF."

(NEW SCENE) WASHINGTON - NIGHT TIME. AGENT MAX JACOBSON IS SITTING BEHIND A COMPUTER TALKING TO SCULLY & MULDER ON HIS HEADSET-PHONE. MULDER AND SCULLY ARE BACK AT THEIR MOTEL USING A SPEAKER - PHONE. "YES, AGENT MULDER, HERE IT IS. THOMAS INVERSS, FORMER - SPECIAL OPERATIONS DIRECTOR CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY. RETIRED 1997. HE WAS DEPUTY DIRECTOR TO ISAAC PRESTON AND SUCCEEDED HIM AS DIRECTOR WHEN HE LEFT TO WORK AT THE N.S.A. IN FACT PRESTON CHOOSE INVERSS TO REPLACE HIM. WITH WHAT I CAN SEE THAT'S DECLASSIFIED, THEY WERE BOTH THICK - AS - THIEVES MOST OF THEIR LIVES. THEY SERVED TOGETHER IN THE MILITARY AND INVERSS WAS EVEN PRESTON'S BEST MAN AT HIS WEDDING." "SO WE KNOW HIS INTEREST IN THE INVESTIGATION ISN'T JUST PROFESSIONAL, IT'S PERSONAL. IT ALSO EXPLAINS HIS PRESENCE HERE. HE CAME FOR THE FUNERAL OF A CLOSE FRIEND" SCULLY SAIDS. SHE THEN LEANS OVER AND WRITES DOWN ON A PAD BETWEEN THEM. "THOMAS INVERSS. ONE OF THE MEN IN THE MISSING PICTURE?" MULDER SHRUGS HIS SHOULDER AND NODS "YES" "YEA, WELL I'LL SEND YOU ANYTHING MORE I CAN FIND ON INVERSS. BUT IT'LL BE TOUGH SINCE A LOT OF IT IS "FILE - LOCKED" AS CLASSIFIED C.I.A. MATERIAL. I'M TRYING TO GET CLEARANCE BUT WITH THE RUN-A-ROUND I'M GETTING FROM LANGLEY AND WASHINGTON, IT'S LIKE BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL. YOU KNOW HOW IT IS OVER AT THERE, THEY DON'T LIKE TO SHARE ANYTHING AND THEY WON'T LET ANYTHING USEFUL OUT. AS FOR THE PHONE NUMBER YOU GAVE ME, I GET A COMPUTER CONNECTION BUT THE MINUTE IT HOOKS ME UP IT DISCON
NECTS its MODEM. NO PASSWORD, NO I.D. PROTOCOLS. IT HAS ME STUMPED. WELL, IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE GIVE A CALL. OH...HANG ON, DIRECTOR SKINNER JUST WALKED IN." (HEARD IN THE BACK GROUND), "IS THAT MULDER AND SCULLY???", "YES SIR." (A PAUSE, THEN THE SOUND OF A PHONE BEING PICKED UP. DIRECTOR SKINNER VOICE COMES ON.) "AGENTS I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A MICHAEL GORDON AT THE N.S.A., HE'S THE EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE ADVISOR. SEEMS HIS CLOSE FRIEND MR. INVERSS WASN'T IMPRESSED WITH YOU TWO. YOU DO KNOW YOUR STEPPING ON SOME POWERFUL... ANGRY TOES DON'T YOU???" "YES SIR" THEY BOTH ANSWER. SKINNER SIGHS THEN SAID: "WELL UNFORTUNATELY I AM TOO. I'M BACKING YOU ON YOUR DECISION AND MR. GORDON RELUCTANTLY HAD TO AGREE. THAT IS... ONCE I INFORMED HIM THAT A FULL COPY OF THIS INVESTIGATION IS GOING TO A "HOUSE REVIEW PANEL ON THE NATION'S SECURITY PROTOCOLS". AS FOR NOW, THE OFFICIAL ORDER IS: "FORMER DIRECTOR INVERSS ISN'T TO BE GIVEN ANY INFORMATION REGARDING TO... OR TO INTERFERE IN ANYWAY WITH THE PRESTON MURDER INVESTIGATION". "GUESS HIS RETIREMENT DISSOLVED A LOT OF THE CLOUT AND INFLUENCE HE HAD. BUT STILL BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH MR. INVERSS, AGENTS. HE STILL HAS OTHER FRIENDS WHO MIGHT OWE HIM SOME FAVORS. KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS. IF A FALL IS COMING, I WANT TO KNOW WHERE WE STAND AND WHAT OPTIONS WE HAVE TO COVER OUR BACKS." BOTH AGENTS ANSWER: "YES SIR." (A SOUND OF A PHONE HANGING UP AND A DIAL TONE IS HEARD FROM THE SPEAKER - PHONES. SCULLY PUSHES A BUTTON AND THEIR PHONE HANGS UP. MULDER LOOKS AT SCULLY AND TAKES A DEEP BREATH. JUST THEN THERE'S A KNOCK ON THE DOOR. MULDER GETS UP AND ANSWERS IT. HE STEPS TO THE SIDE AFTER HE OPENS IT. THE SHERIFF ENTERS CARRYING A COUPLE OF FOLDERS AND SAIDS: "AGENTS, ALL THE REPORTS ARE IN." HE HANDS THE FOLDERS TO THE AGENTS AND CONTINUES AS THEY START FLIPPING THROUGH THEM, SCANNING THE CONTENTS. "THE BOTTLES WITH THE BLOOD IN THEM WERE WASHED RECENTLY. THERE WAS STILL SOME DETERGENT RESIDUE ON THE BOTTOM OF TWO OF THEM AND THE FIBERS ON PRESTON'S BODY WERE COTTON STRANDS, GOOD GUESS IS A HANDKERCHIEF, PROBABLY USED AS A GAG. THE STRANDS STILL HAVE TRACE ELEMENTS OF ETHER ON IT." "THE MURDERER DIDN'T WANT A FIGHT SO PRESTON WAS DRUGGED. MAYBE SO HE WOULDN'T BE ACCIDENTALLY KILLED. THEY WANTED HIM ALIVE TO SEE WHAT WAS IN STORE FOR HIM." MULDER ADDS. "ALSO REMEMBER, THE COMPUTER WAS SMASHED. THEY COULD HAVE KEPT HIM ALIVE AT FIRST TO GET INFORMATION. ANYTHING ELSE SHERIFF???" SCULLY ADDS. "THERE WAS SOAP AND DIRT RESIDUE IN THE SINK TRAP IN THE KITCHEN. A GOOD GUESS, AND THAT'S ALL WE HAVE IS THAT IT CAME FROM THOSE BOTTLES. A SMALL CHIP ON THE BOTTOM OF ONE OF THE BOTTLES MATCHED A RUST OUTLINE IN THE BOTTLE RACK WE FOUND IN THE BOAT HOUSE AGENT MULDER." JUST THEN MULDER LOOKING AT A REPORT RAISES HIS HEAD. "WAIT A MINUTE !!! SOMETHING WAS FOUND ON THE ROPE???" THE SHERIFF SHAKES HIS HEAD. "YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS !!! I HAD THAT ANCHOR TAKEN IN AND THE ENDS OF THE ROPES ANALYZED. HELL, THE STATE'S PAYING FOR IT SO I FIGURED WHAT THE HELL. (HE LOOKS AT THE TWO AGENTS INTENSELY.) SALIVA... WE FOUND TRACE ELEMENTS OF SALIVA JUICES ON THE END OF THE ROPE AFFIXED TO THE ANCHOR." "WAIT A MINUTE, YOUR TELLING ME SOMEONE.... CHEWED THROUGH THE ROPE???" MULDER ASKS WIDEN EYED. "TESTS SAY IT WAS BITTEN, NOT CHEWED THOUGH." THE SHERIFF ANSWERED. "I KNOW IT SOUND IMPOSSIBLE BUT THE RESULTS DON'T LIE."SCULLY LOOKS BACK AT THE REPORT."BUT TO DO THAT TO A STRONG ROPE WOULD TAKE AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF FORCE FOR IT TO BE SHEARED IN ONE BITE!!! THAT HAS GOT TO BE AN ERROR BY THE LAB." THE SHERIFF REACHES IN HIS COAT POCKET AND PULLS OUT A NOTE BOOK, FLIPPING THROUGH IT. "THAT'S WHAT I TOLD THEM. THEY COULDN'T BELIEVE IT ALSO, THEY RAN A DOZEN TESTS AND EVERY RESULT CAME BACK THE
SAME. HUMAN SALIVA AND A SINGLE BITE SEVERED THAT ROPE FROM THE ANCHOR." "WERE THE OTHER PIECES OF ROPE BITTEN THROUGH???" SCULLY ASKS. "NOW THOSE WERE... (LOOKS AT HIS NOTEBOOK.) DONE WITH ONE OF THE STEAK KNIVES, WE FOUND ONE IN MR. PRESTON'S INSIDE COAT POCKET. GUESS THE MURDERER DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO CUT WITH TO BEGIN WITH. BUT HE FOUND SOMETHING LATER." THE SHERIFF ADDS. "WAIT A MINUTE YOU FOUND THE MISSING KNIVES???" MULDER SAIDS. (THE SHERIFF REACHES IN TO HIS COAT POCKET AND PULLS OUT A PLASTIC BAG MARKED "EVIDENCE." INSIDE IS A WOOD HANDLED STEAK KNIFE.)"ONE OF THEM. THAT WAS OUR MISTAKE. THE CLOTHES MR. PRESTON HAD ON WAS REMOVED AND ANALYZED BUT HIS JACKET WAS HANGING ON A HALL TREE BY THE FRONT DOOR. WHEN I SAW THE REPORTS I AND MY MEN WENT BACK TO THE HOUSE AND SEARCHED AGAIN FOR THE MISSING KNIVES. I HAD ONE OF MY MEN PERSONALLY RUN IT TO RICHMOND FOR TESTING AND WAIT FOR THE RESULTS TODAY. FIBERS AND SMUDGE MARKS FROM DRIED LAKE WATER ON THE BLADE MATCH THE CUT MARKS ON THE ROPE USED TO TIE UP ISAAC PRESTON. BUT, AS BEFORE NO FINGERPRINTS." "SAIDS HERE TIME OF DEATH WAS 3:17 A.M. THE OFFICIAL CAUSE WAS... MASSIVE BLOOD LOSS. THAT'S A SURPRISE." MULDER SAIDS WITH A HINT OF SARCASM. "THAT MEANT THE TIME OF DEATH WAS AFTER THE COMPUTER WAS USED ACCORDING TO THE RECORDS FROM THE PHONE COMPANY. THE MURDER WAS USING IT AS PRESTON WAS BLEEDING OUT." THE SHERIFF SAIDS. "AND ALL THE PHARMACIES AND HOSPITALS WITH IN A 200 MILES RADIUS AREN'T MISSING ANY INTERVENES EQUIPMENT." "WHAT ABOUT THE PICTURE FRAME???" MULDER ASKS. "NOTHING AS BEFORE WE WENT THROUGH EVERY PHOTO ALBUM AND DRAWER IN THE HOUSE LOOKING FOR A PICTURE THAT MIGHT GIVE US A CLUE. ALL WE HAVE IS THE STATEMENT BY ANNE ROSTONE THAT IT WAS OF FOUR MEN ON A FISHING TRIP YEARS AGO." "WELL I HATE TO SAY THIS, BUT WITH ALL THE EVIDENCE IN I AM ABSOLUTELY STUMPED." THE SHERIFF SAIDS TAKING OFF HIS HAT AND SCRATCHING HIS HEAD. "ANYTHING COME TO YOU TWO ??? SOMETHING YOUR GOVERNMENT TRAINING IS TELLING YOU THAT I CAN'T THINK OF???" MULDER AND SCULLY LOOK AT HIM THEN EACH OTHER. SCULLY THEN LOOKS BACK AT THE SHERIFF. "WELL NOT ALL THE EVIDENCE IS IN, WELL NOT REALLY... THERE'S STILL THE FUNERAL TOMORROW. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M INTERESTED IN WHO SHOWS UP." MULDER THEN SAIDS: "THAT'S RIGHT WE STILL HAVE TO FIND OUT WHO WAS IN THAT PICTURE THAT WAS TAKEN. A GOOD GUESS IS THEY'LL SHOW UP. AND WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING TO THAT OLD ADAGE." THE SHERIFF AND SCULLY BOTH LOOK AT HIM AND THE SHERIFF SAIDS: "WHAT OLD ADAGE???" MULDER GETS A SMUG LOOK TO HIS FACE AND HOLDS UP A FINGER: "THAT A MURDERER ALWAYS RETURNS TO THE SCENE OF A CRIME. OUR MURDERER MIGHT JUST MAKE AN APPEARANCE AT THE FUNERAL SERVICES TOMORROW."

(NEW SCENE. THE NEXT DAY, LATE AFTERNOON IT'S RAINING AGAIN. THE FUNERAL HOME. A LOT OF CARS ARE PARKED NEXT TO IT. MULDER & SCULLY ENTER THROUGH THE DOOR INTO THE ENTRANCEWAY. A BUNCH OF FOLKS ARE STANDING AROUND IN LITTLE GROUPS, TALKING. ANNE ROSTONE AND HER HUSBAND ARE SEEN WALKING OVER TO THE OPEN CASKET. AFTER HANGING UP THEIR COATS THEY WALK INTO THE ROOM. THEY SEE THE SHERIFF SITTING IN THE BACK ROW OF FOLDING CHAIRS, THEY SIT DOWN NEXT TO HIM. THEY GREET EACH OTHER.) "DECIDED TO TAKE YOUR ADVICE, AGENT MULDER. EVEN THROUGH IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF A MURDER MYSTERY. BUT IT'S THE ONLY THING I HAVE LEFT TO GO ON. BY THE WAY I GOT A VISIT FROM TWO FRIENDS OF YOURS THIS MORNING. THERE'S ONE OF THEM." (HE CASUALLY POINTS OVER TO ONE OF THE SMALL GROUPS AND THE AGENTS TURN TO LOOK. THEY NOTICE A OLDER MAN, TALL SLENDER BLACK HAIR, WHITE AT THE TEMPLES. HE GLANCES AT THEM, THEN LOOKS AWAY AS INVERSS ENTERS. THE MAN TAKES A STEP OVER TO INVERSS AND AS HE SHAKES HIS HAND, HE LEANS OVER AND WHISPERS TO HIM. (A CLOSE UP SHOWS HE IS WEARING BLACK LEATHER GLOVES.) INVERSS GLANCES TOWARD THE T
WO AGENT FOR A SECOND THEN LOOKS BACK TO THE OLDER MAN, NODDING AND THEN WHISPERS BACK TO HIM. THEY BOTH TALK FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN SIT DOWN IN THE SECOND ROW AS THE CEREMONY STARTS.) "MR. INVERSS CAME IN THIS MORNING AND GAVE ME AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT. A LEGAL WRIT FROM THE U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL TO SHOW HIM ANY AND ALL INFORMATION I HAVE ON THE PRESTON MURDER. LET'S JUST SAY IT WAS A VERY UN-PLEASANT MORNING TILL HE AND HIS BODY GUARD LEFT. WE'RE GOING TO GET TOGETHER TOMORROW MORNING AND GO OVER EVERY SCRAPE OF EVIDENCE AND ALL THE REPORTS." HE REACHES INTO HIS INSIDE POCKET AND RETRIEVES A FOLDED PAPER AND HANDS IT TO THE AGENTS. SCULLY TAKES IT AND LOOKS IT OVER. "GUESS INVERSS CALLED IN SOME OF THOSE FAVORS." MULDER SAIDS. (THE SERVICE COMMENCES. WHEN IT ENDS THE PASTOR ANNOUNCES THAT THE BURIAL WILL BE CONDUCTED IN PRIVATE AS PER THE DECEASE'S WISHES. EVERY ONE GETS UP TO GO. THE SHERIFF GETS UP AND SAIDS: "I HAVE TO GET BACK TO THE OFFICE, AND GET EVERYTHING READY FOR MR. INVERSS. I'LL TALK TO YOU BOTH LATER." SCULLY AND MULDER GET UP, BEING THE LAST TO LEAVE, ARE STOPPED BY INVERSS. HE SMILES SMUGLY AND SAIDS "WELL AGENTS, LOOKS LIKE I GET TO SEE THOSE REPORTS AFTER ALL." "YES MR. INVERSS I GUESS SO." MULDER SAIDS. "AND WHEN CAN I SEE YOUR RESULTS???" INVERSS ASKS. "WELL I GUESS WE CAN HAVE IT READY FOR YOU...." MULDER ANSWERS THEN IS INTERRUPTED BY SCULLY. "WHEN YOU HAVE THE ATTORNEY GENERAL SPECIFY THE WRIT TO COVER GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS. THIS ONE YOU SERVED THE SHERIFF ONLY COVERS THE LOCAL JUDICIAL INVESTIGATION, IT SAIDS NOTHING ABOUT ANY FEDERAL INVESTIGATIONS." SCULLY HANDS IT BACK TO INVERSS. INVERSS SNATCHED THE PAPER BACK AND LOOKS IT OVER. HE THEN CRUSHES IT AND SAIDS ANGRILY : "THIS ISN'T OVER AGENTS, I.. WILL... SEE THOSE REPORTS !!! I'LL THE WRIT AMENDED AND IF I FIND YOU HAVE HELD ANYTHING BACK I WILL... HAVE YOU UP ON FELONY CONTEMPT CHARGES FOR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH A FEDERAL WARRANT!!!" HE THEN STORMS AWAY AND THE TWO AGENTS WALK TO THE EXIT. INVERSS CURSES "GOD DAMN BUREAU!? UNDER HIS BREATH. HE PULLS A CIGAR FROM HIS COAT POCKET AND SEARCHES FOR HIS LIGHTER. THE MAN WHO HE TALKED TO EARLIER APPEARS NEXT TO HIM AND LIGHTS INVERSS' CIGAR. AS HE SPEAKS, A BRITISH ACCENT CAN BE HEARD- "I HATE TO SAY I TOLD YA SO THOMAS, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS BULLY YOUR WAY AROUND ANYMORE." INVERSS DRAWS DEEP FROM THE CIGAR "OH NO, JAMES??? DON'T YOU BET ON IT. THIS ISN'T FINISHED YET. THOSE TWO MIGHT STUMBLE ACROSS SOMETHING WE DON'T WANT EXPOSED AND I'M GOING TO MAKE SURE I'M RIGHT THERE, LOOKING OVER THEIR SHOULDERS AND BREATHING DOWN THEIR NECKS ALL THE WAY. I DIDN'T GET WHERE I AM BY SITTING ON MY ASS !!! NOW... IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME I NEED TO SAY... GOODBYE TO ISAAC." THE MAN REPLACES HIS LIGHTER AND LIGHTLY LAUGHS."I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU OUT IN MY CAR." AND HE LEAVES OUT THE DOOR. INVERSS WALK TO THE COFFIN AND LOOKS DOWN ON PRESTON'S BODY. HE REACHES IN HIS POCKET AND RETRIEVES ANOTHER CIGAR. HE PLACES IT IN PRESTON'S BREAST POCKET AND SIGHS. HE THEN HEARS THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR SAYING: "EXCUSE ME MR. INVERSS, I NEED TO CLOSE THE CASKET NOW." INVERSS STEPS BACK. THE DIRECTOR REMOVES THE FLOWERS FROM AROUND THE COFFIN AND CLOSES THE LID. AS HE TURNS INVERSS STOPS HIM AND ASKS WHERE THE BATHROOM IS. THE DIRECTOR POINTS AND EXCUSING HIMSELF, LEAVES THE ROOM. INVERSS WALKS TO IT, HE REACHES FOR THE DOOR HANDLE, LOOKING TO THE SIDE HE SEES THE TWO AGENTS OUTSIDE THE WINDOW GETTING INTO THEIR CAR, HE TURNS THE DOOR HANDLE.

(NEW SCENE) INSIDE THE BATHROOM. THE DOOR OPENS WITH INVERSS'S STANDING AT THE DOORWAY. HE LOOKS FORWARD AND GOES "OH EXCUSE ME, I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS OCU..". THEN HIS EYES OPEN WIDE IN DISBELIEF.

(NEW SCENE) SIDE SHOT OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE REST ROOM. TWO HANDS WITH BLACK LEATHER GLOVES SHOOT OUT AND GRABS INVERSS'
;S LAPEL. INVERSS IS YANKED OFF HIS FEET AND INTO THE ROOM, AND THE DOOR SHUTS WITHOUT A SOUND. A CLOSE UP SHOT TO A SMOLDERING CIGAR LYING ON THE FLOOR.

(NEW SCENE) IT'S STOPPED RAINING. OUTSIDE THE FUNERAL PARLOR. MULDER & SCULLY SIT IN THEIR CAR. THE ENGINE RUNNING. SCULLY'S CELL PHONE RINGS. IT'S AGENT JACOBSON AND HE IS SENDING WHAT INFO HE HAS ON THOMAS INVERSS TO SCULLY'S LAP TOP. SHE HANGS UP. MULDER TURNS OFF THE WIPERS, THROUGH THE WET WINDOW MULDER SITS THERE THINKING. HE THEN SAIDS: "DAMN !!! I JUST THOUGH OF SOMETHING. WE FORGOT TO GET A COPY OF THE GUEST BOOK. I'M KIND A CURIOUS AS TO WHO ALL WAS HERE TODAY. I'LL BE RIGHT BACK." AS HE GETS OUT OF THE CAR HE SEES THE PALLBEARERS BEGIN TO BRING THE CASKET OUT AND PLACE IT IN THE HEARSE, WHICH THEN PULLS AWAY. HE THEN SEES THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR AS HE IS LOCKING THE PARLOR DOOR. "EXCUSE ME, MR. MITCHELL, IS IT ??? I'M AGENT MULDER. (HE SHOWS HIS I.D.) I FORGOT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT SEEING THE GUEST BOOK OR BETTER YET GETTING A COPY OF IT." THE DIRECTOR SAIDS: "OH YES AGENT MULDER. THE SHERIFF MENTIONED YOUR NAME. I'LL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TOO. BUT IF IT IS ALRIGHT CAN IT WAIT TILL I GET BACK ??? I HAVE TO DRIVE TO THE CEMETERY TO SUPERVISE THE BURIAL. CAN I GIVE YOU A CALL WHEN I GET BACK ??? I'M GOING TO BE A LITTLE WHILE, MAYBE A HOUR AND A HALF." MULDER LOOKS AT HIS WATCH AND SAIDS: "THAT WILL BE FINE; IN FACT IT WILL GIVE ME AND MY PARTNER A CHANCE TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT. HERE'S WERE MY PARTNER AND I WILL BE STAYING. JUST LEAVE US A MESSAGE WHEN YOU GET BACK." HE HANDS MR. MITCHELL A CARD HE HAS WRITTEN THE MOTEL'S PHONE AND ROOM NUMBER ON. HE RETURNS BACK TO HIS CAR. THE DIRECTOR WALKS TO HIS CAR, GETS IN AND PULLS AWAY. MULDER WALKS BACK TO HIS CAR, AS HE DOES HE NOTICES A BROWN SEDAN SITTING IN THE PARKING LOT, THE ENGINE RUNNING. HE CAN'T SEE THE DRIVER'S FACE. JUST THE OUT LINE OF A PERSON. HE GETS INTO HIS CAR AND HE AND SCULLY PULL AWAY. THE CAR IS STILL SITTING THERE.

(NEW SCENE) BACK AT THE GREASY SPOON RESTAURANT. MULDER AND SCULLY HAVE FINISHED EATING AND ARE DRINKING COFFEE. JUST THEN DEPUTY MAYFAIR ENTERS AND LOOKS AROUND. HE SPIES THE TWO AGENT AND HURRIEDLY MOVES TO THEIR TABLE. MULDER SEES HIM AND THE LOOK ON HIS FACE HE SAIDS: "HI DEPUTY, IS SOMETHING THE MATTER ???" THE DEPUTY SAYS HE WAS SENT BY THE SHERIFF TO GET THEM. HE ASKS WHY, MAYFAIR SAIDS ITS BETTER FOR YOU TO SEE THIS.

(NEW SCENE) THE FUNERAL PARLOR. IT'S NOW EVENING. MULDER & SCULLY ENTER THERE'S 5 OR SO POLICE OFFICERS THERE, SCULLY ASKS
"SHERIFF ??? THE SHERIFF COMES OVER FROM TALKING TO THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR, WHO IS SITTING DOWN HIS FACE IS PALE AND HE IS WRINGING HIS HANDS. THE SHERIFF SAIDS- "HERE, YOU'LL WANT TO SEE THIS." HE WALKS OVER AND OPENS A CLOSET JUST OFF TO THE RIGHT OF WHERE THE COFFIN WAS EARLIER AND ON THE FLOOR, CRAMMED IN THE BACK IS ISAAC PRESTON'S BODY FROM THE FUNERAL. MULDER ASKS "HOW'D THE BODY GET THERE???" THE DIRECTOR HEARING THE QUESTION ANSWERS: "I DON?T KNOW. I LOCKED THE CASKET AND ONLY LEFT THE ROOM FOR A FEW MINUTES TO GET THE PALLBEARERS. WHEN I RETURNED EVERYTHING WAS AS I LEFT IT. THEN I LOCKED UP TO GO TO THE CEMETERY, WHEN I GOT BACK TO GET THE REGISTRY FOR AGENT MULDER, I NOTICED A BURNING SMELL. I THOUGHT MAYBE A CANDLE OR SOMETHING WAS LEFT BURNING SO I QUICKLY LOOKED AROUND TILL I NOTICED THE SMELL WAS COMING FROM THE CLOSET. THAT'S WHEN I FOUND MR. PRESTON. ?SCULLY ASKS "WAS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN THE ROOM WHEN YOU LEFT." THE DIRECTOR STILL SHAKEN SAIDS: "NO... EVERYONE HAD LEFT...WAIT, YES THE ONLY ONE STILL IN THE ROOM WAS MR. INVERSS, HE HAD ARRAIGNED THE FUNERAL AND WAS THE LAST ONE HERE WHEN I LEFT. HE ASKED WHERE THE REST ROOM WAS. LIKE I SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE WHEN I RETURNED WITH THE MEN. THEY LIFTED THE COFFIN AND PLACED IT INTO THE HEARSE FOR THE DRIVE TO THE CEMETERY FOR BURIAL. THEN I HAD A QUICK AROUND BEFORE I
LEFT, EVEN IN THE REST ROOM, BEFORE I LOCKED EVERYTHING UP TO LEAVE. NOTHING WAS BURNING THEN." "AND THE PALLBEARER DIDN'T NOTICE THAT THE BODY WASN'T IN THE COFFIN???" SCULLY ASKS. "NO, SOMEONE WOULD OF NOTICED IF IT WAS EMPTY. A CASKET ISN'T THAT HEAVY. OH GOD, IF I HADN'T COME BACK FOR THE REGISTRY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HERE FOR DAYS BEFORE I WOULD OF CAME BACK." THE DIRECTOR PUTS HIS FACE IN HIS HANDS. MULDER SEES THE REGISTRY BEHIND THE DIRECTOR AND REACHES FOR IT. HE LOOKS AT IT, HE TURNS A COUPLE OF PAGES THEN MOTIONS TO SCULLY. "WHEN WE GET BACK LETS HAVE ALL THE NAMES RAN BY JACOBSON AND SEE IF ANY TURN UP." SCULLY SAIDS; "HAS ANYONE QUESTIONED MR. INVERSS YET???" THE SHERIFF SAIDS: "I CALLED INVERSS'S HOTEL ROOM, THERE WASN'T AN ANSWER AND THE CLERK SAID HE HASN'T CHECKED BACK IN SINCE HE LEFT FOR THE FUNERAL.?WHAT ABOUT HARRISON??? INVERSS' DRIVER, WAS HE QUESTIONED???" "WE FOUND HIM SITTING IN HIS ROOM NEXT TO INVERSS'. BUT HE SAID INVERSS INSTRUCTED HIM WAIT THERE, INVERESS WAS MEETING SOMEONE, AND HE'D CALL HIM ON HIS CELL-PHONE WHEN HE WANTED TO RETURN TO THE HOTEL. WE TRIED THE NUMBER BUT NO ANSWER. I ALSO HAVE A GROUP OF MEN OUT TO THE CEMETERY EXHUMING THE GRAVE." SOMEONE ENTERS THE ROOM. IT'S AGENT PETERSON. HE WALKS UP TO THE AGENTS AND THE SHERIFF. "I RAN INTO ONE OF YOUR DEPUTIES WHILE FILLING MY CAR UP AT THE GAS STATION. SOMEBODY STOLE MR. PRESTON'S BODY???" "NOT STOLEN, JUST REMOVED IT." THE SHERIFF POINTS TO THE CLOSET. AGENT PETERSON WALKS OVER AND PEERS OVER A DEPUTY'S SHOULDER. "OH, DEAR LORD." HE BACKS OFF AND LETS THE DEPUTIES FINISH THEIR EXAMINATION OF THE SCENE. JUST THEN AN OFFICER SAIDS HE FOUND SOMETHING. AS THEIR PUTTING PRESTON'S BODY ON A GURNEY, HE WALKS OVER TO THE SHERIFF HE HANDS OVER A HALF BURNT CIGAR, NOW COLD AND A FRESH ONE STILL WRAPPED IN PLASTIC. "WE FOUND THESE. SOMEONE NOTICED A BURNT SMELL. THE LITE ONE WAS LEFT SMOLDERING IN THE DECEASE'S SUIT JACKET. WE ALSO FOUND THIS." HE HANDS OVER A CELL PHONE. THE SHERIFF LOOKS IT OVER. "IT'S SWITCHED OFF." HE THEN TURNS IT ON. SCULLY ASKS: "SHERIFF, CAN YOU GIVE ME MR. INVERSS' CELL PHONE NUMBER???" THE SHERIFF REACHES INTO HIS POCKET AND RETRIEVES HIS NOTEBOOK, OPENS IT AND SHOWS HER THE NUMBER. SCULLY DIALS THE NUMBER ON HER PHONE AND THE ONE IN THE SHERIFF'S HAND BEGINS TO RING. THE ROOM FALLS TO A DEAD SILENCE ALL THAT CAN BE HEARD IS THE RINGING PHONE. JUST THEN DEPUTY MAYFAIR ENTERS AND QUICKLY MOVES TO THE SHERIFF. "SHERIFF WE UNCOVERED THE COFFIN AND OPENED IT SIR. THERE WAS A BODY INSIDE." THE SHERIFF ASKS: "A BODY??? WHO'S ???" THE DEPUTY FACE IS WHITE AND HE SAIDS: "IT'S MR. INVERSS'S, SIR. HE'S DEAD !!!"

(NEW SCENE) KIRKWOOD CEMETERY. NIGHTTIME. PORTABLE LIGHTS AND THOSE ALSO FROM THE MACHINERY IS LIGHTING UP THE AREA AROUND THE GRAVE. THE COFFIN IS SITTING ON THE GROUND NEXT TO THE OPEN GRAVE, THE LID CLOSED. THE SHERIFF WALKS OVER AND OPENS THE LID. HE PULLS BACK, WHISPERING "SWEET JESUS!"

(NEW SCENE) INSIDE THE COFFIN IS THE BODY OF THOMAS INVERSS HIS FEET ARE BOUND BUT HIS HANDS ARE FREE FROM THE ROPES TYING THEM. THE FINGER NAILS ARE BLOODY AND BROKEN. THE INSIDE TAFFETA OF THE COFFIN IS ALL TORE UP AS HE TRIED TO CLAW HIMSELF FREE. HIS EYES BULGING AND MOUTH WIDE OPEN. A HANDKERCHIEF GAG IS LOOSE AROUND HIS NECK. HIS FACE FROZEN IN AN EXPRESSION OF SHEER TERROR. EYES BULGING & BLOOD SHOT, MOUTH GAPING WIDE OPEN. AGENT PETERSON SAIDS: "I SEE SOMETHING." HE ASKS FOR A TISSUE, HE USES IT TO REACH INTO THE CASKET. BY THE SIDE OF INVERSS' BODY IS A BROKEN HANDLE OF THE MISSING STEAK KNIFE.

(NEW SCENE) LATER, IT'S NOW EARLY MORNING. THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE. THE SHERIFF POURS HIMSELF A CUP OF COFFEE, OFFERS SOME TO THE AGENTS. HE WALK OVER TO HIS DESK AND GETS A BOTTLE OF WHISKEY OUT AND POURS SOME IN HIS CO
FFEE CUP. HE SITS DOWN ACROSS FROM MULDER SCULLY. "35 YEARS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT.. YOU WANT TO

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
AND POURS SOME IN HIS COFFEE CUP. HE SITS DOWN ACROSS FROM MULDER SCULLY. "35 YEARS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT.. YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT WAS THE BIGGEST INCIDENT HERE BEFORE THIS ??? AMANDA DANIELS GETTING DRUNK AND CRACKING HER HUSBAND'S SKULL OPEN WITH A FRYING' PAN CAUSE HE WAS FOOLING AROUND WITH A CHECK-OUT GIRL AT THE GROCERY STORE. NOW TWO MURDERS WITH-IN A WEEK. I DOUBT ANYONE WILL ADMIT TO IT LIKE AMANDA DID, WILL THEY???" JUST THEN THE PHONE RINGS. THE SHERIFF SITS UP AND ANSWERS IT. HE MUMBLES SOME THINGS AS HE IS SCRIBBLING ON A PIECE OF PAPER AND THEN LOOKS AT THE TWO AGENTS AND SAIDS: "THANK YOU." HE HANGS UP. HE SITS BACK AND SAIDS: "THOMAS INVERSS DIED OF A MASSIVE CORONARY CAUSED BY INTENSE STRESS. IN SIMPLY LANGUAGE, HE HAD A FATAL HEART ATTACK CAUSED BY THE SHOCK OF DISCOVERING HE WAS BURIED ALIVE. DEATH WAS INSTANTANEOUS. HE DID TRY TO DIG HIMSELF OUT, BUT HIS HEART GAVE OUT WITH THE EXERTION. AS BEFORE FORENSICS FOUND NO PRINTS, BUT THERE WAS A LARGE AMOUNT OF ETHER ON THE SILK HANDKERCHIEF USED FOR INVERSS'S GAG. IN FACT its FIBERS MATCHED THE ONES FOUND ON PRESTON'S BODY." HE CONTINUES: "A BRUISE WAS FOUND ON INVERSS'S HEAD HE MUST HAVE BEEN KNOCKED OUT AND THE ETHER KEPT HIM THAT WAY, WHILE THEY LOADED HIM INTO THE HEARSE AND TOOK HIM TO THE CEMETERY. HE PROBABLY AWOKE RIGHT AFTER THEY BURIED HIM. BY THE WAY AGENT MULDER, THAT TURNED OUT TO BE THE ROPE THAT WAS LEFT FROM PRESTON'S BOAT. INVERSS' FINGERPRINTS ON THE KNIFE HANDLE SHOWED INVERSS USED IT TO CUT HIS BONDS AND TO TRY TO DIG HIS WAY OUT, WHEN THE BLADE SNAPPED, HE USED HIS BARE HANDS. WE FOUND THE BROKEN PIECE IMBEDDED DEEP IN THE LID. AT LEAST THERE IS A LITTLE MORE EVIDENCE IN THIS CASE. BUT I'M AFRAID I WON'T BE USING IT." THE AGENTS LOOKS AT HIM: "WHY NOT???" "AGENT HARRISON, INVERSS' BODY GUARD HAD TO REPORT INVERSS' DEATH TO HIS SUPERIORS. THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE WAS INFORMED BY THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL THAT THIS WAS JUST DECLARED A FEDERAL INVESTIGATION. I'M SORRY TO SAY THIS. BUT THIS CASE JUST FELL TOTALLY IN YOUR LAPS. I'VE BEEN RELIEVED OF THE INVESTIGATION." JUST THEN AGENT SCULLY'S CELL PHONE RINGS. SHE ANSWERS IT. SAIDS: "YES SIR, I'LL INFORM AGENT MULDER." SHE HANGS UP. "WE'VE BEEN ORDERED TO REPORT BACK TO WASHINGTON." MULDER SIGHS AND LOOKS AT SCULLY WHO SAIDS: "IF IT'S POSSIBLE WE'RE FORWARD ANYTHING WE GET TO YOUR OFFICE." "THANKS, IF IT'S ANY CONSOLATION, YOU TWO GREATLY LIFTED MY OPINION OF FEDERAL AGENTS. GOOD LUCK." HE STANDS AND SHAKES BOTH THEIR HANDS.

(NEW SCENE) EVENING. AIR PORT PARKING LOT, WET AFTER A RESENT RAIN, IT'S STILL MISTING. SCULLY, UNDER AN UMBRELLA, WALKS TO HER CAR. MULDER PULLS UP IN HIS CAR, LEANS OVER TO THE OPEN PASSENGER WINDOW AND SAIDS HE'LL SEE HER AT THE OFFICE, AND HE ASKS "I'M GOING TO PICK UP SOME DINNER BEFORE HEADING OVER TO THE OFFICE. DO YOU WANT ANYTHING???" "NO." SHE SAIDS. "O.K. I'LL SEE YOU THERE THEN." HE PULLS OUT. SHE FISHES OUT HER KEYS AND UNLOCKS HER DOOR AS SHE GETS IN AND STARTS HER CAR. SHE LOOKS INTO HER REAR-VIEW MIRROR AND SEES IT'S OUT OF ALIGNMENT. AS SHE ADJUSTS IT SHE SEES A OUTLINE OF A MAN BEHIND HER. HER EYES OPEN WIDE AS A GLOVED HAND QUICKLY COMES OVER HER MOUTH, AND A REVOLVER WITH A SILENCER IS PUT AGAINST HER HEAD. THE LAST THING HEARD IS A VOICE SAY: "HELLO AGENT SCULLY, HOPE YOU HAD A PLEASANT FLIGHT. LET'S TAKE A RIDE, SHALL WE????

(NEW SCENE) MULDER'S OFFICE, IT'S DARK EXCEPT FOR THE GLOW FROM A SINGLE DESK LAMP. MULDER IS EATING OUT OF A CHINESE TAKE OUT BOX, LOOKING THROUGH HIS MAIL. THE PHONE RINGS. HE QUICKLY SWALLOWS AND PUTS THE BOX DOWN AS HE PICKS UP THE PHONE. "HELLO ??? OH, HI SCULLY." "MULDER, I'M ON MY WAY AND CAME ACROSS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO SEE. MEET ME OUTS
IDE THE OFFICE. I'LL PICK YOU UP." "OK. SEE YA IN A COUPLE MINUTES." HE HANGS UP AND GRABS A LAST BITE OF FOOD AND PUTS HIS COAT ON. BEFORE HE GOES OUT THE DOOR HE STOPS AND GRABS THE TAKE-OUT BAG.

(NEW SCENE) IT'S NIGHT TIME AND STILL LIGHTLY RAINING. CARS DRIVE BY, HEADLIGHTS GLARING. SCULLY'S CAR PULLS UP, WINDSHIELD WIPERS RUNNING. MULDER PUTS THE BAG UNDER HIS COAT AS HE RUNS TO THE CAR. THROUGH THE WET WINDOWS MULDER SEES SHE IS ALONE IN THE CAR. MULDER OPENS THE DOOR AND GETS IN. SCULLY'S CAR PULLS OUT INTO TRAFFIC. MULDER MENTIONS "YOU MISSED OUT ON SOME PRETTY GOOD CHUNG PO CHICKEN, BUT I DID SAVE YOU A COUPLE OF EGG ROLLS." SCULLY DOESN'T ANSWER AS MULDER REACHES IN HIS COAT TO PULL OUT THE BAG. HE THEN FREEZES WHEN HE HEARS FROM BEHIND, A BRITISH VOICE SAY "PERSONALLY, I THINK "QUOK HO'S" OVER ON "ESSEX AVENUE & 31-ST" HAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST ORIENTAL FOOD. I APOLOGIZE FOR DISTURBING YOUR DINNER. AGENT MULDER." MULDER SLOWLY TURNS AROUND. BEHIND HIM, HE SEES IT'S THE MAN FROM THE FUNERAL SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT, IN THE SHADOWS. HE STARTS TO INTRODUCE HIMSELF, "JAMES DOUGLASS." HE LEANS FORWARD; HIS FACE NOW VISIBLE AND REACHES HIS GLOVED HAND TO SHAKE MULDER'S. "A PLEASURE TO FINALLY MEET YOU. I WISH IT WAS ON BETTER TERMS. I HEARD ABOUT THOMAS'S MURDER, HARD TO BELIEVE I JUST SPOKE TO HIM A COUPLE OF HOURS AGO, THOUGH I'M NOT OVERLY SURPRISED WITH THE WAY HE DIED." DOUGLASS SITS BACK. MULDER SEE THE PISTOL WITH THE SILENCER LYING ON THE SEAT NEXT TO DOUGLASS' LEFT HAND. "OH, DON'T LET THAT BOTHER YOU. JUST A CHILDISH HABIT, I'M AFRAID. ONE THAT'S KEPT ME ALIVE.. AT LEAST THIS LONG." "YOU SAID INVERSS' DEATH DIDN'T SURPRISE YOU, WHY???" SAIDS MULDER. DOUGLASS CASUALLY LOOKS OUT THE TWO SIDE WINDOWS AS HE ANSWERS. "IN MY FORMER LINE-OF-WORK, YOU EXPECT "AN EYE FOR AN EYE." "REVENGE??? FROM WHO???" ASKS SCULLY. DOUGLASS SHRUGS HIS SHOULDERS, "COULD BE ANY OF A MILLION PERSONS, FROM A HUNDRED OTHER COUNTRIES. DOUGLASS' EYES HAVE A FAR AWAY LOOK IN THEM AS IF REMEMBERING SOMETHING AND A LITTLE SMILE CROSSES HIS LIPS. "DIRTY TRICKS" HAVE A WAY OF BOOMERANGING BACK ON THE "TRICKSTERS" WHO STARTED THEM. THE IRONY IS "WE" PULLED THIS SAME "TRICK" SOMEWHERE IN THE UKRAINE DURING THE 60'S. THOUGH THAT COFFIN NEVER WAS FOUND." "YOU SAID YOU FOUND OUT ABOUT FORMER - DIRECTOR INVERSS? MURDER. MAY I ASK HOW ??? SHERIFF DONNERLY WASN'T RELEASING THE CAUSE OF DEATH???" SCULLY INQUIRES GLANCING IN THE MIRROR AS SHE DRIVES. "WHEN YOU'VE LEAD A LIFE LIKE MINE, AGENT SULLY, IT'S NOT HARD TO LEARN THINGS. EVERY ROCK HAS SOMETHING HIDDEN UNDER IT..AND A PERSON LIKE ME WAS LURKING UNDER IT ALREADY." HIS SMILE BROADENS AND HE WINKS HIS LEFT EYE. MULDER SAIDS "CAN I ASK YOU WHERE YOU WERE WHEN MR. INVERSS DISAPPEARED AND WAS KILLED, MR. DOUGLASS???" DOUGLASS ANSWERS: "AFTER THE SERVICES AT THE FUNERAL HOME I WAS WAITING FOR THOMAS IN MY CAR. HE DIDN'T COME OUT WHEN THE DIRECTOR LOCKED THE DOORS SO WHEN YOU BOTH LEFT, I GOT OUT AND LOOKED IN THE WINDOWS. HE WAS NO WHERE TO BE SEEN SO I "PICKED" THE LOCKS AND LOOKED FOR HIM IN SIDE. AS I WAS LOOKING, I HEARD HIS CELL PHONE RINGING. IT WAS ON A TABLE OUT SIDE THE DOOR FROM THE REST ROOM. I ALSO FOUND HIS CIGAR SMOLDERING ON THE FLOOR. I THEN HEARD A "THUMP" FROM THE CLOSET NEXT TO WHERE THE CASKET WAS." "THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR WASN'T THE FIRST PERSON TO FIND PRESTON'S BODY, YOU DID, DIDN'T YOU MR. DOUGLASS???" SCULLY ASKS AS SHE TURNS ONTO A BUSY STREET. "I KNEW I HAD TO GET OUT OF THERE FAST BEFORE THE DIRECTOR CAME BACK, SO I TOOK THE PHONE AND CIGAR AND PLACED THEM IN PRESTON'S JACKET." "WHY'D YOU PLACE THEM THERE???" MULDER ASKS. "I KNEW SOMETHING HAD HAPPENED TO THOMAS, YOU NEVER FORGET THINGS LIKE THAT...
. (HE PAUSES.), ESPECIALLY WITH HOW PRESTON DIED. ANYWAY THE CIGAR WOULD OF GONE OUT BEFORE ANYTHING DRASTIC WOULD HAVE HAPPENED AND I KNEW IN PRESTON'S CURRENT STATE, HE WOULDN'T HAVE OBJECTED, CAUSE IT WOULD OF RESULTED IN HIS BODY BEING FOUND. PLUS WE WEREN'T VERY CLOSE, JUST... WORKING ACQUAINTANCES. I LEFT, RE-LOCKING THE DOOR, DROVE TO THE CLOSEST AIRPORT AND BOARDED A PLANE BACK HERE TO WASHINGTON; MY AIRLINE TICKET-STUB WILL COVER FOR ME." "MULDER SAYS "WELL IF YOU WEREN'T WORRIED ABOUT IMPLICATING YOURSELF IN INVERSS' DEATH, WHY COME TO US???" "BECAUSE," HE SAYS, "IN MY FORMER LINE OF WORK I'VE MADE MANY ENEMIES, TOO MANY. SOME EVEN IN MY OWN AGENCY. STEPPED ON A LOT OF TOES. THOMAS AND PRESTON'S MURDERER COULD BE ANY OF A MILLION PERSONS AND I COULD BE HIS NEXT TARGET." "YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE. YOU SAID "YOU WORKED WITH BOTH PRESTON & INVERSS.", WAS THAT ALL ??? WAS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN YOUR GROUP ??? A FORTH MEMBER???" SCULLY ASKS. "WHAT MAKES YOU ASK, AGENT SCULLY???" DOUGLASS ASKS, HIS LEFT EYE BROW RAISED. "A PICTURE OF FOUR MEN WAS MISSING FROM PRESTON'S HOUSE WHEN HE WAS KILLED. FOUR MEN STANDING NEXT TO A CAR ON...." SCULLY SAIDS AND THEN IS INTERRUPTED. "ON A FISHING TRIP.... GOOD GOD !!! I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT PHOTO IN YEARS !!! TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, YES, I KNOW THE PHOTO. IT WAS TAKEN ABOUT 1963-64, I'M NOT TOO SURE WHEN EXACTLY. PRESTON'S WIFE HAD JUST PASSED A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE AND THOMAS THOUGHT HE'D ENJOY THE DIVERSION. WE ALL WENT UP TO A LAKE IN MAINE. A FRIEND OF PRESTON'S INVITED US UP AND WE SPENT THE WEEKEND DRINKING AND FISHING OUT ON THE LAKE. I EVEN REMEMBER POSING FOR THE PHOTO." "DO YOU ALSO REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE FORTH MAN.? WE WERE TOLD IT WAS A PHOTO OF FORMER CO-WORKERS OF PRESTON'S. WE'RE GUESSING TWO OF THE MEN WERE INVERSS & PRESTON.... AND YOU. ARE WE RIGHT AND IF SO WHO IS THE FORTH MAN???" MULDER ASKS. "A VERY GOOD GUESS FOR BOTH OF YOU. YES, I REMEMBER THE IDENTITY OF THE FOURTH PERSON. THOUGH I'M HESITANT TO REVEAL HIM TO YOU." DOUGLASS SAIDS. MULDER LEANS BACK AND LOOKS DOUGLASS RIGHT IN THE EYE. "MR. DOUGLASS. SOMEONE REMOVED A PHOTO THAT HAD FOUR MEN IN IT AND TWO OF THOSE MEN HAVE DIED, IN NOT SO PLEASANT WAYS. ANOTHER GOOD GUESS IS THAT, IF INDEED SOMEONE HAS A "GRUDGE', AS YOU SAY AGAINST THOSE FOUR MEN. YOU AND THAT LAST MAN ARE IN GREAT DANGER." HIS SMILE FADES. DOUGLASS TURNS AND LOOKS OUT THE WINDOW FOR A WHILE, HE THEN TURNS AND SAIDS: "FISHER, BRADLEY LAWRENCE FISHER." "WHO IS BRADLEY FISHER AND WHAT IS HIS CONNECTION TO YOU, PRESTON AND INVERSS???" MULDER ASKS. DOUGLASS SIGHS AND SAIDS: "WE WERE PART OF A S.F.O. TEAM.?SPECIAL FOREIGN OPERATIONS" IN THE C.I.A." MULDER ASKS: "SPECIAL FOREIGN OPERATIONS??? EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF WORK DID YOU DO???" "MOSTLY BLACK OPS. IF YOU NAME IT, WE PROBABLY DID IT, IF A CERTAIN FOREIGN LEADER TURNED UP ASSASSINATED OR A UN-FRIENDLY THIRD WORLD GOVERNMENT WAS OVERTHROWN, WE WERE THERE, IF NOT IN PERSON, IN SPIRIT AT LEAST. LOOK IN ANY NEWSPAPER FROM 1964 TO 1990, YOU'LL FIND OUR HANDIWORK." "MOST OF ALL POLITICAL HAPPENINGS FROM VIETNAM TO DESERT STORM, SOMEONE FROM OUR DEPARTMENT HAD THEIR DIRTY LITTLE HANDS, SOMETIMES UP TO THE ELBOWS IN IT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. ANY THING TO HELP OUT THE UNITED STATES AND THE FREE WORLD." "PEOPLE IN THE AGENCY WHO HAD THE CLEARANCE TO KNOW ABOUT US UN-OFFICIALLY CALLED US THE "HOUDINI DIVISION?,? "PEOPLE "DISAPPEARED". BUT IF YOUR RIGHT. NOW THAT I'VE SINCE RETIRED LIKE THE OTHERS, WE'RE SOMEWHAT OF AN OPEN TARGET NOW, BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE SEAL OF THE AGENCY TO HIDE BEHIND ANYMORE, THE ONE THING ABOUT OUR LINE OF WORK, VERY FEW REACHED RETIREMENT AGE. AND IF YOU DID, YOU WERE LIKE RAW MEAT, AND HUNGRY LIONS WERE ALWAYS WAITING, HIDING IN THE BUSHES." &quo
t;AND PRESTON HEADED THIS GROUP???" SCULLY ASKS. "HE FIRST PROPOSED IT, WHEN HE GOT TOGETHER UP AT THAT LAKE. I GUESS HE HAD PLANNED IT FOR QUITE A WHILE AND CHOSE US SINCE HE KNEW EACH OF US PERSONALLY. HIS NEW POSITION AT C.I.A. HELPED WITH FUNDING AND MATERIAL. THEN WHEN HE WAS APPOINTED TO GO TO THE N.S.A., THOMAS TOOK OVER, BUT PRESTON KEPT HIS HANDS IN IT. OVER SEEING MISSIONS. HE LINKED US UP AND WAS FEEDING US CLASSIFIED N.S.A. MATERIAL TO HELP IN REACHING OBJECTIVES." "JUST YOU AND FISHER RAN THE MISSIONS??? PRESTON AND INVERSS JUST PULLED THE STRINGS???" MULDER ASKS. "THERE WERE OTHER MEMBERS BUT THEY WERE KILLED IN MISSIONS. ONLY FISHER AND I ARE STILL ALIVE OF THE ORIGINAL GROUP. WE RAN THE "OPS" FROM THE SAFE HOUSE, OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE. THEN WHEN PRESTON SMELLED THE WINDS OF POLITICAL CHANGE IN 1990 HE STARTED TO COVER UP LOOSE ENDS. WE WERE FOLDED UP BEFORE HE LEFT TO RETIRE IN '92. INVERSS HAD TRIED TO START HIS OWN GROUP BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE THE CONNECTIONS PRESTON DID AND HIS OWN TIME WAS SHORT BEFORE HE WOULD LEAVE." "WHERE IS BRADLEY FISHER NOW, MR. DOUGLASS???" "YOU GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE. IF YOUR GOING LOOKING FOR HIM, GOOD LUCK! HE DISAPPEARED RIGHT AFTER WE DISBANDED, AS I SHOULD HAVE. HELL, BRADLEY ALWAYS WAS MUCH MORE CLEVER THEN ME, AND HE'S GOOD TOO. COVERED HIS TRACKS. EVEN I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND HIM." DOUGLASS SAIDS. "WASN'T FISHER AT THE FUNERAL???" SCULLY ASKS. "NO, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT HE WOULDN'T EVEN SHOW UP OR BETTER YET, IF HE WAS THERE NO ONE WOULD'VE KNOWN IT WAS HIM. BRADLEY WAS A MASTER OF DISGUISE AND HAD INFILTRATED A MILLION HOSTILE TARGETS WITH OUT BEING SEEN OR DISCOVERED." DOUGLASS PUTS HIS GUN IN HIS JACKET. HE HAS SCULLY PULL UP TO A CORNER. AS HE GETS OUT AND LEANS IN HER WINDOW. "I WISH YOU BOTH WELL ON YOUR INVESTIGATION, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW CHANCES ARE YOU WON'T FIND THE KILLER. THIS STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN OF A VERY HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL AND THEIR THE WORST. THEY NEVER GIVE UP." "CARE TO HELP US OUT ON THAT???" MULDER ASKS. "NOT REALLY, I'VE SAID ENOUGH. BUT I'LL GIVE YOU SOME SOUND ADVICE, STOP NOW, FILE THIS MESS UNDER "CLOSED". IF NOT, IT MAY TURN AROUND AND BITE YOU BOTH ON THE ASS!" DOUGLASS SAIDS. "HOW CAN WE CONTACT YOU IF SOMETHING DOES TURN UP???" SCULLY ASKS. "YOU WON'T. I'M GOING TO QUIETLY DISAPPEAR AS BRADLEY HAS. I DOUBT EITHER OF YOU WILL EVER SEE ME AGAIN. NICE MEETING YOU BOTH." AS HE TURNS TO GO, MULDER SAIDS.

"MR. DOUGLASS.... HERE, A FAREWELL PRESENT FOR WHAT HELP YOU DID GIVE US." HE HANDS DOUGLASS THE TAKE-OUT BAG WITH THE TWO EGG ROLLS IN THEM. JAMES DOUGLASS SMILES AND SAIDS "REMEMBER, QUOK HO'S. ON ESSEX AND 31ST. TRY THEIR "MANDRIN PLATTER". IT'S THEIR SPECIALTY." JAMES DOUGLASS TURNS AND WALKS OVER TO A WAITING CAB. HE GETS IN AND LEAVES. SCULLY GLANCES AT MULDER AS HER CAR PULLS OFF. JUST THEN SCULLY'S CELL-PHONE RINGS. AS IT DOES THE CAMERA CLOSES IN ON ANOTHER CAR FOLLOWING A FEW CARS BEHIND OF THEM.

(SCENE) INSIDE THAT CAR. A TRANSMITTER/RECEIVER SITTING ON THE PASSENGER SEAT. FROM IT CAN BE HEARD SCULLY SAYING "YES SIR, WE'LL BE RIGHT IN. THAT WAS DIRECTOR SKINNER AND HE WANTS US IN HIS OFFICE RIGHT NOW." A GLOVED HAND REACHES DOWN AND TURNS THE VOLUME DOWN THEN IT REACHES FOR THE PHOTO OF THE FOUR MEN. THE CAR CONTINUES GOING DOWN THE STREET STILL A LITTLE BEHIND THE AGENT'S CAR, FOLLOWING.

(NEW SCENE) F.B.I. HEAD QUARTERS, DIRECTOR WALTER SKINNER'S OFFICE. MULDER AND SCULLY ARE SITTING ON THE COUCH. BEHIND A DESK IS SKINNER, READING THEIR LATEST REPORT. HE FINISHES, LAYS IT DOWN AND TAKES A DEEP BREATH, THEN LOOKS UP AT THE TWO AGENTS. "SOUNDS LIKE MR. DOUGLASS IS GIVING GOOD ADVICE. IT'S YOUR DECISION WHETHER TO TAKE HIM UP ON IT." MULDER ANSWERS: "NOT REALLY SIR. THERE'S SOMEONE OUT THERE WITH A MAJOR BONE TO
PICK WITH FOUR MEN ALL WHO HAVE TIES TO BOTH THE N.S.A. AND C.I.A., EXCUSE ME. TWO NOW." HE CORRECTS. SKINNER INTERRUPTS. "THAT IS, IF HE IS GOING AFTER THE FOUR IN THAT MISSING PICTURE FROM INVERSS'S HOUSE. SO FAR THE ONLY TWO DEAD ARE BOTH FORMER HEADS OF A "C.I.A. SPECIAL DIVISION'S GROUP". JUST THEN SKINNER'S SECRETARY ENTERS AND HANDS HIM A FILE. SKINNER OPENS AND GLANCES AT IT BEFORE HANDING IT TO SCULLY & MULDER. THE NAME ON THE COVER IS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"JAMES R. DOUGLASS."

(Inside, as before with Preston's file is a photo I.D.),

Name: Douglass, James Robert

DOB: 1/29/35 (British national.)

-Graduated from Oxford - 1957. Top Honors.

-Graduated The Royal Military Academy - 1959. Top 5 in his class.

-Military Service: British Marine Corps. - 3 yrs service, 2 tours of duty in South East Asia, Vietnam. Special accommodation for rescue and retrieval of captured P.O.W.s from the village of ?Chu Yang Sin? and various Viet-Kong outposts. Successful "Search and Destroy" missions into enemy territory. Joined MI-5 (British Military Intelligence.) Headquarters, based in Hong Kong. Various mission in The People's Republic of China.

-Permanent reassignment by NATO-Military Operations to United States. Assignment: Commanding officer for training in joint Marine and Navy SEAL anti-terrorist commando teams.

CODE NAME: "PALE-HORSE."

-Duties & Honors: (Classified.)

-Resigned military commission and immigrated to United States: 1964. Became full citizen 1965.

-Recruited C.I.A. - 1965. After training, joined Department "Special Operations"-1967.

-Duties: (Classified.)

*notation by Agent Jacobson: Douglass was selected by Dep. Dir. Isaac K. Preston, who also helped skip through red-tape on immigration proceedings.

-Last 5 yrs teaching at C.I.A. Head Quarters, Langley, Virginia. Reconnaissance - Espionage - Anti Terrorist training.

-Retired from the C.I.A. 1998. Full Pension.

*Last known residence: 202 W. 54 Th, Washington D.C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"DOES MR. DOUGLASS, HAVE ANY FAMILY???" SCULLY ASKS. "JUST A SISTER, BUT SHE'S IN A HOME IN BROMLEY OF GREATER LONDON. ALTZHIMERS. OTHER THEN THAT NO-ONE." SKINNER ANSWERS. MULDER SAYS: "HIS LAST ADDRESS IS LISTED AS RIGHT HERE IN WASHINGTON." SKINNER: WE'RE GETTING A WARRANT RIGHT NOW; D.C. POLICE IS TO GET AHOLD OF US WHEN WE DO. I WANT YOU TWO THERE TO TAKE MR. DOUGLASS INTO PROTECTIVE CUSTODY." (THE PHONE RINGS, SKINNER ANSWERS) "O.K., THANK YOU." (HE HANGS IT UP.) "THE WARRANT CAME THROUGH. HEAD OVER TO DOUGLASS'S PLACE FAST, IF HE'S GOING TO "BUG-OUT", YOU MIGHT CATCH HIM PACKING. D.C. POLICE WILL ME YOU THERE WITH THE WARRANT, THEIR TOLD NOT TO ENTER TILL YOU SAY SO. GET GOING AGENTS!? THE AGENTS LEAVE.

(NEW SCENE) A BROWNSTONE IN DOWNTOWN D.C. A COUPLE OF PATROL CARS AND A VAN WITH "POLICE" ON THE SIDE IS SITTING OUTSIDE, LIGHTS FLASHING. MULDER AND SCULLY PULL UP AND WALK UP TO A SERGEANT WHO HANDS THEM THE WARRANT. "ANYBODY HOME???" MULDER ASKS. "UNKNOWN SIR, WE HAD THE PLACE SURROUNDED AFTER WE FIRST GOT THE CALL. NO SIGN OF MOVEMENT INSIDE AND NO ONE WAS STOPPED COMING OR GOING." THE TWO AGENTS LOOK AT EACH OTHER. "O.K. OPENS IT UP." MULDER SAIDS. THE SERGEANT NODS TO AN OTHER OFFICER WHO SWINGS A RAM AND SMASHES OPENS THE FRONT DOOR AND STEPS BACK. THE SERGEANT TELLS THE AGENTS TO WAIT. HE SENDS IN A COUPLE OF OFFICERS IN "SWAT-GEAR", FIRST. THEY COME OUT A COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER AND SAYS: "WE FOUND A HELL OF A MESS, BUT THE PLACE IS EMPTY." MULDER AND SCULLY ENTER. THEY TURN ON FLASHLIGHTS AND FIND THE FRONT ROOM LIGHT SWITCH, THEY TURN IT ON. MULDER STOPS A
ND SAIDS: "DO YOU SMELL SOMETHING???" "SMELLS LIKE ROTTEN FOOD." ANSWERS SCULLY. AS THEY ENTER, OFF TO THE RIGHT IS A DARK ROOM, SCULLY SCANS WITH HER FLASHLIGHT FIND THE SWITCH, TURNS ON THE LIGHT, AND WE SEE THE LIVING ROOM. SCULLY LOOKS AROUND, GLASS CABINETS ARE OPEN AND KEEPSAKES ARE STREWN AROUND THE FLOOR. A COUPLE OF TABLES ARE OVERTURNED, PAPERS SCATTERED EVERYWHERE AND A MIRROR IS BROKEN. MULDER WALKS BACK TO THE DOORWAY AND ASKS THE SERGEANT TO HAVE HIS MEN GO AROUND AND LOOK FOR SIGNS OF A BREAK-IN. MULDER WALKS IN A DARKEN DINNING ROOM, HE FLIPS ON THE LIGHTS. THE CHINA-CABINET IS OPEN AND DISHES, CUPS AND SAUCERS ARE SMASHED. GLASS EVERYWHERE. "SCULLY!" HE CALLS, "LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE WAS HERE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING... JUST LIKE AT PRESTON'S." SCULLY WALKS UP BEHIND HIM. "YEAH THE LIVING ROOM IS TORN UP ALSO." MULDER SEES A DOOR TO HIS LEFT AND A SWINGING DOOR CATTY-CORNER TO THE DINNING ROOM. "MUST BE THE KITCHEN" MULDER SAIDS. THE SMELL IS COMING FROM IT. HE PUSHES OPEN THE DOOR AND THEY BOTH PULL BACK, THE SMELL OVER POWERING THEM. THERE IS A FAINT GLOW IN THE ROOM FROM AN OPEN REFRIGERATOR AND WE SEE FOOD ALL OVER THE FLOOR. HE TURNS AND SEES THE LIGHT SWITCH. HE TURNS IT ON AND THERE IS A "ROYAL MESS". CABINETS OPEN, DISHES SMASHED, BROKEN GLASSES, CANS TOSSED EVERYWHERE. MULDER TURNS TO SCULLY, SMILES AND SAIDS: "AFTER YOU...? SCULLY JUST GLANCES AT HIM, AND WALKS BACK INTO THE HALLWAY. THE SERGEANT COMES IN AND TELLS THEM "NO SIGN OF FORCED ENTRY." MULDER ENTERS THE LIVING ROOM AND CAREFULLY CROSSES THRU TO THE DEN. THE DOOR IS CLOSED, BUT A LIGHT CAN BE SEEN UNDER IT. HE PULLS HIS GUN, GENTLY TURNS THE HANDLE. HE PUSHES THE DOOR OPEN AND WE SEE A DESK, WITH THE LIGHT SITTING ON IT ON. HE GLANCES AROUND AND SEES PAPERS SCATTERED AROUND, DRAWERS PULLED OUT AND SMASHED ON THE FLOOR. AS HE WALKS OVER TO THE DESK, HE LOOKS DOWN AND SEE A MESSAGE ON THE FAX MACHINE READ-OUT, THAT A TRANSMISSION IS WAITING ON STANDBY. HE PUSHES "PRINT" AND A MESSAGE APPEARS:

"AS PER YOUR INFORMATION REQUEST, SPECIAL AGENTS FOX MULDER AND DANA SCULLY OF THE F.B.I. ARE INVESTIGATING PRESTON'S MURDER. CALL ME IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GET ANSWERS FROM THEM. ALSO KEEP AN EYE ON THOMAS, HE'S GOING OVER MY HEAD AND CAUSING WAVES. KEEP ME INFORMED & GOOD LUCK - MAG."

A PHONE NUMBER IS LISTED AT THE TOP OF THE SHEET. MULDER PICKS IT UP AND PUTS IT IN A PLASTIC BAG AND POCKETS IT. HE LOOKS AROUND AND NOTICES THE PHONE JACK IT IS PLUGGED INTO. THE JACK HAS THREE PORTS, ONE GOING TO THE PHONE, ONE TO THE FAX AND ONE EMPTY. HE NOTICES THE DUST WIPED OFF AROUND THE EMPTY PORT. AS HE STANDS UP HE SEES A PORTRAIT ON THE WALL BEHIND THE DESK IS LEANING FORWARD, MULDER WALKS OVER TO IT AND CAREFULLY LOOKS BEHIND IT. THE PICTURE IS HINGED LIKE A DOOR AND BEHIND IS A SAFE, IT TOO IS OPEN. SCULLY CALLS FOR MULDER AND HE ANSWERS THAT HE'S IN THE DEN. SHE ENTERS. MULDER SAYS: "LOOK AT THIS." HE PULLS OUT A BALL POINT PEN FROM HIS COAT AND USES IT TO SWING OUT THE PORTRAIT. INSIDE THE SAFE ARE PAPERS, CRUMBLED AND SOME LETTERS TORN-UP. MULDER BEGINS TO PICK UP ONE OF THE PAPERS AND GOES TO OPEN IT, JUST AS MULDER IS REACHING FOR SOME OF THE PAPERS THEY HEAR A VOICE SAY: "SORRY AGENT MULDER, YOU CAN'T LOOK AT THAT! N.S.A. AGENT PETERSON IS STANDING IN THE DOORWAY. "BECAUSE THE NATURE OF MR. DOUGLASS' WORK WAS VERY SENSITIVE, EVERYTHING HAS TO GO THRU THE N.S.A. AND C.I.A. SECURITY OFFICES TO BE DE-CLASSIFIED. NOTHING IS TO BE TOUCHED, DON'T WORRY WE'LL LET YOU IN ON ANYTHING...WE FIND THAT'S SIGNIFICANT TO THE PRESTON & INVERSS MURDER INVESTIGATION. HERE."AS HE ENTERS THE AGENTS SEE HIM STOP AND STARE AT A SPOT ON THE DESK. HE THEN GATHERS HIMSELF AND HANDS THE AGENTS A PAPER, AUTHORIZING THE TURN OVER OF THE CRIME SCENE TO HIM. SCULLY ASKS HIM "HOW DID YOU LEARN OF JAMES DOUGLASS???" PETERSON TURNS TO HER WHILE HE ANSWERS: "THE C.I.A. WAS SEARCHI
NG THROUGH MEMO'S AND CORRESPONDENCE AT MR. INVERSS' RESIDENCE IN "GEORGETOWN" AND CAME ACROSS MR. DOUGLASS' NAME. AFTER THAT WE JUST DID A STANDARD RECORDS SEARCH AND FOUND THAT HE WAS ASSOCIATED THROUGH THE BUREAU WITH THE TWO VICTIMS. LUCKILY WE WERE INFORMED OF YOUR SEARCH WARRANT AND CAME RIGHT OVER." AS HE IS TALKING TO SCULLY, MULDER LOOKS DOWN AND SEES A PHOTO OF 4 MEN STANDING NEXT TO A CAR LAYING FLAT ON THE DESK, A CORNER OF IT TORN OFF. HE QUICKLY PICKS IT UP AND PUTS IT INSIDE HIS COAT. HE THEN SAIDS: "WELL SCULLY, I GUESS WE'D BETTER LEAVE THEN." THEY HEAD FOR THE DOOR AS THE POLICE ARE ALSO BEING TOLD TO LEAVE AS MORE N.S.A. AND C.I.A. AGENTS ENTER. WHEN THEY GET TO THEIR CAR, SCULLY SAIDS; "WELL THAT KILLS ANY CHANCE OF FINDING ANYTHING." MULDER REPLIES: "WELL, I WOULDN'T EXACTLY SAY THAT, SCULLY." HE REMOVES THE PICTURE FROM HIS COAT, WHICH HE THEN PLACES INTO ANOTHER PLASTIC BAG. SCULLY LOOKS SHOCKED: "MULDER !!! YOU REMOVED EVIDENCE FROM A CRIME SCENE???" "I DIDN'T REMOVE IT, SEE IT'S BAGGED AND WILL BE DUSTED FOR FINGERPRINTS, AS WILL THIS." AND HE PRODUCES THE FAX SHEET FROM HIS POCKET. "THAT'S STILL ILLEGAL, MULDER!" SCULLY SAIDS. "NO, WE'LL LET AGENT PETERSON IN ON ANYTHING THAT WE FIND SIGNIFICATE....TO THE PRESTON, INVERSS MURDER INVESTIGATION." MULDER SAYS WITH A LITTLE BIT OF SARCASM. SCULLY STARTS THE CAR.

(SCENE BACK TO THE STUDY, AGENT PETERSON IS STILL STANDING IN THE ROOM AND HE TURNS TO LEAVE, WHEN HE DOES HE SEES A LIGHT BLINKING ON THE FAX MACHINE AND A READ OUT ON THE MACHINE SAYING: "PRINT OUT COMPLETE." HE THEN PUSHES A BUTTON FOR THE MACHINE LOG AND SEES THE TIME AND DATE OF THE PRINTOUT AS JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO. HE THEN WALKS TO THE WINDOW AND SEE THE AGENTS CAR PULL AWAY. HE THEN REACHES INTO HIS POCKET FOR A CELL-PHONE AND PUSHES A BUTTON ON SPEED-DIAL.) HE SPEAKS - "YEAH, IT'S ME. I THINK WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THOSE TWO F.B.I. AGENTS...NO, I'LL HANDLE THEM IF THEY GET TOO CLOSE. WE ALSO HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM, DOUGLASS' COMPUTER IS MISSING AND I DOUBT HIS SOFTWARE IS HERE EITHER. WHEN WORD GETS OUT YOU'LL HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL WITH PRESTON & INVERSS'S FRIENDS. YEAH, A LOT OF SKELETONS WILL FALL OUT OF THEIR CLOSETS. I'LL REPORT BACK ON ANY DEVELOPMENTS." HE THEN CLOSES HIS CELL-PHONE AND CONTINUES TO WATCH OUT THE WINDOW AS THE CAR GOES DOWN THE RAIN SLICK STREET.

(SCENE BACK AT F.B.I. HEADQUARTERS, A SHORT TIME LATER. MULDER IS LOOKING AT A COPY OF THE PICTURE THRU A DESK-TOP MAGNIFYING GLASS WHILE AGENT JACOBSON IS AT THE COMPUTER, SCULLY LOOKING OVER HIS SHOULDER. THE FACES ON THE PICTURE ARE ALSO ON HALF OF THE COMPUTER SCREEN AS FACES OF OTHER MEN ARE FLASHING ON THE OTHER HALF LOOKING FOR A MATCH.) JACOBSON SPEAKS: "SINCE YOU KNOW THREE OF THOSE MEN THAT CUTS DOWN ON THE NUMBER OF SEARCHES I NEED TO RUN."

(THE COMPUTER BEEPS AND A FACE APPEARS NEXT TO ONE OF THE FACES. THAT OF JAMES ROBERT DOUGLASS. NEXT TO THE FACE IS A BOX READING:)

"100 % PROBABILITY MATCH."

"THAT ONE WAS EASY, SINCE YOU MET THE MAN, BUT THE LAST ONE WILL TAKE A LITTLE WHILE, I HAVE TO COMPARE AND MATCH IT WITH ALL EMPLOYEE FILES FROM VARIOUS AGENCIES, AND SOME OF THOSE ARE JUST NOW GETTING LOGGED INTO THEIR COMPUTERS, THAT IS, THOSE THEY ARE WILLING TO ADMIT TO, AND THAT'S NOT INCLUDING "BLACK" OR COVERT AGENTS WHOSE NAMES AND FACES THEY CAN'T OPENLY ACKNOWLEDGE FOR BOTH THE AGENCY'S SAFETY AS WELL AS THE OPERATIVES THEMSELVES." "I HEAR THEIR GOING WITH RECENT AGENTS AND CASE FILES AND GOING BACKWARDS INTO THEIR ARCHIVES, SO OLDER FILES MIGHT NOT EVEN BE LOGGED YET." SCULLY ASKS "THIS PICTURE IS ABOUT 40 YEARS OLD WILL THAT BE A PROBLEM???" "SHOULDN'T BE. FEDERAL AGENCIES UPDATE PERSONNEL & ID PHOTOS EVERY 2 YEARS AND THEY KEEP A RECORD OF ALL OF THEM. STARTING WHEN THE PERSON
FIRST BEGINS THEIR JOB." SCULLY STRAIGHTENS UP AND PUTS HER HANDS ON HER BACK TO STRETCH IT. SHE THEN SAIDS "WELL, WE MAY KNOW THE LAST ONE BUT WE WANT IT TO BE CHECKED OUT ANYWAY. HE COULD BE IN FILES UNDER ANOTHER ALIAS." JACOBSON LOOKS UP AND ASKS "IN CASE I DON'T GET A MATCH. WHAT IS THE NAME SO I CAN COMPARE IT TO ANYWAY???" "FISHER, BRADLEY LAWRENCE." MULDER ANSWERS "HE WAS A KNOWN ASSOCIATE OF THE FIRST THREE. BUT WE'RE NOT REALLY SURE OF HIS IDENTITY." A KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND AN AGENT ENTERS GIVING A FOLDER TO AGENT SCULLY. "THE INDENTATIONS ON THE SIDE OF THE PHOTO AND THE TORN PIECE MATCH THOSE FROM THE FRAME FOUND IN PRESTON'S FIREPLACE. TWO SETS OF FINGER PRINTS, ISAAC PRESTON & ANNE ROSTONE'S AND THEY WERE PRETTY OLD THOUGH. BUT IT IS THE MISSING PHOTO."

JACOBSON TYPES INTO HIS COMPUTER THE NAME:

"FISHER, BRADLEY LAWRENCE."

"I'LL ENTER IT NOW AND IF THE COMPUTER CAN'T FIND A RANDOM MATCH, IT WILL LOOK UP HIS FILE AND COMPARE IT THEN." "HOW LONG TILL YOU KNOW ANYTHING???" SCULLY ASKS. "COULD BE HOURS OR EVEN DAYS." JACOBSON ANSWERS. "DEPENDS ON HOW MANY FACES IT HAS TO MATCH-UP. IF YOU WANT A SURE MATCH IT WILL TAKE A BIT." JUST THEN A BEEPING SOUND ISSUES FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER TERMINAL ACROSS THE ROOM AS A PRINTER STARTS UP. JACOBSON ROLLS HIS CHAIR OVER AND RIPS OFF THE SHEET OF PAPER. "GOT A LISTING ON YOUR FAX NUMBER. IT'S THE PENTAGON. WHO "MAG" IS AND WHAT OFFICE I CAN'T TELL YOU. SEEMS TO BE A REGULAR FAX MACHINE, FOR UN-CLASSIFIED MATERIAL ON A NON-SECURED LINE. I'M GUESSING SOMEONE DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE LINKED TO A SPECIFIC OFFICE. ACCORDING TO THE PHONE LOGS IT'S PRIMARILY USED TO FAX ORDERS TO FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS FOR FOLKS WORKING LATE. BUT THERE IS A TRANSMISSION ENTRY MADE TO DOUGLASS' HOME FAX. OTHER THEN THAT IT'S A DEAD END." SCULLY YAWNS AND SAIDS "WELL, I'M GOING TO HEAD HOME AND GET SOME SLEEP. HOW ABOUT YOU MULDER???" MULDER PUTS DOWN THE MAGNIFYING GLASS AND RUBS HIS EYES. "SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME. CALL US WHEN YOU GET SOME THING???" HE ASKS JACOBSON. SCULLY GIVES MULDER A DIRTY LOOK AND SAIDS "CALL HIM; I WANT TO GET SOME SLEEP!!!" "WILL DO." JACOBSON SMILES AT THEM AS THEY LEAVE THE ROOM, SHUTTING THE DOOR. HE THEN WAITS A MINUTE AND THEN ROLLS HIS CHAIR TO THE DOOR TO LOCK IT. RETURNING TO HIS DESK HE REACHES FOR A PHONE KEYPAD, HITTING A BUTTON ONLY LISTED AS:

"SECURED LINE."

HE THEN ADJUSTS HIS HEADSET AND MIKE. A SECOND LATER HE SAYS "7946-8. F.B.I. GO SECURE. JACOBSON, ALPHA-PI-TANGO." HE PAUSES FOR A MINUTE. "HELLO??? YES SIR, IT'S AGENT JACOBSON. YOU SAID TO CALL YOU IF AGENTS MULDER AND SCULLY CAME IN AND NEEDED ANYTHING..." "YES SIR, THEY BROUGHT IN AN OLD PICTURE AND HAVE ME RUNNING AN INTER-AGENCY SEARCH. SO FAR THEY KNOW OF A ISAAC PRESTON, THOMAS INVERESS AND JAMES DOUGLASS. THEY DID MENTION ONE NAME TO KEEP A EYE OUT FOR SIR, BRADLEY L. FISHER. WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ??? YES SIR, I TOLD THEM IT COULD TAKE A LITTLE WHILE FOR THE LAST MATCH... I DIDN'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING TILL I GOT A HOLD OF YOU, SIR. O.K. ... IF YOU WANT I'LL GO AHEAD AND DO THAT THEN." "I'LL HAVE A COPY OF THE PHOTO E-MAILED TO YOU RIGHT AWAY AND I'LL GIVE THE AGENTS A CALL IN THE MORNING, NO SIR THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING HOME TO GET SOME SACK-TIME SO A DELAY WILL WORK-OUT FOR BOTH OF US..... YES SIR, IF I HEAR OF ANYTHING ELSE I'LL CONTACT RIGHT AWAY. THANK YOU. GOOD NIGHT." HE THEN PUSHES A DIS-CONNECT BUTTON AND SMILES TO HIMSELF. HE THEN LIGHTLY HUMS THE THEME TO "RIDE OF THE VALYKRIE" BY WAGNER. HE THEN STOPS THE PHOTO MATCH PROGRAM AND TYPES IN THE NAME "FISHER, BRADLEY L." THE COMPUTER READS: "STANDBY, ONE SECOND PLEASE..." THEN AFTER A FEW SECONDS A FACE APPEARS AND A BOX BETWEEN THEM READS:

"100 % PRO
BABILITY MATCH."

HE THEN TAKES HIS MOUSE AND CLICKS ON AN ?ICON??

"TRANSMISSION SUCCESSFUL, PHOTO AND SEARCH RESULTS SENT
TO ADDRESS ENTERED. SECURE PROTOCOLS ACTIVATED AND ENABLED."

"WHAT IS NEXT COMMAND ???"

JACOBSON THEN TYPES:

"DELETE LAST E-MAIL RECORD. SAVE FILE PHOTO AND
SEARCH RESULTS. SET ALARM FOR 0630 HOURS, AUDIO ONLY."

HE THEN GETS UP, UNLOCKS AND OPENS THE DOOR TO PUT A "DO NOT DISTURB!!!" SIGN ON THE DOOR, THEN HE LAYS DOWN ON THE COUCH ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OFFICE AND CLOSES HIS EYES, ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN A 50'S "FELIX THE CAT" CLOCK APPEARS (IT'S EYES AND TAIL MOVING BACK AND FORTH .) AND COUNTS DOWN THE HOURS-MINUTES-SECONDS TILL THE ALARM WILL SOUND.

(NEW SCENE, IT'S MORNING. A CLOSE-UP OF A DIGITAL LED ALARM CLOCK, IT READS: 7:30 A.M. NEXT TO IT IS A CORDLESS PHONE. THE PHONE RINGS. SCULLY WALKS OUT OF THE BATHROOM IN PAJAMAS, A TOOTHBRUSH IN HER MOUTH.) "HA-WHOA ??? (SCENE CHANGES TO MULDER'S PLACE, HE PULLS HIS PHONE AWAY FROM HIS FACE WITH A SHOCKED LOOK ON IT AND THEN RETURNS IT AND SAIDS "SCULLY, IS THAT YOU???" "YEAH..." SHE SAIDS. "WHY DO YOU SOUND WEIRD ??? ARE YOU O.K. ???" "UM WUSHING MA TEEF." "WHAT ???" MULDER SAID, "IT SOUNDED LIKE YOU SAID YOUR WASHING YOUR FEET ???" SCULLY HOLDS THE PHONE AWAY AND RINSES HER MOUTH OUT. "NO, I SAID I WAS BRUSHING MY TEETH!!!" WHAT DO YOU WANT MULDER ???" MULDER STARTS SNICKERING AND SAIDS "I JUST GOT A CALL FROM JACOBSON AND HE HAS A MATCH FOR THE LAST FACE ON THE PHOTO." SCULLY ASKS "WAS IT BRADLEY FISHER ???" "BINGO!!!" MULDER ANSWERS, "JACOBSON SAID HE HAS A 100% MATCH FOR HIM. BUT ANYTHING ELSE ON HIM WILL BE A PROBLEM. WE'D HAVE TO GET CLEARANCE FROM C.I.A. FOR HIS RECORDS AND CURRENT WHERE-ABOUTS." "I'll GIVE DIRECTOR SKINNER A CALL WHEN I GET IN AND SEE IF HE CAN REQUEST THE INFO. HE'LL HAVE A BETTER LUCK OBTAINING IT THEN WE WILL." SCULLY SAIDS. "SO SHOULD I MEET YOU OVER AT JACOBSON'S OFFICE ???" SHE ASKS. "NO, HE SAID HE COULD JUST SEND IT OVER TO MY OFFICE. IT SHOULD BE WAITING FOR US THERE. GUESS HE WANTED TO GET SOME SLEEP, IT MUST OF TAKEN HIM ALL NIGHT." SCULLY SAIDS, "REMIND ME TO MENTION THAT ALSO TO SKINNER, JACOBSON DESERVES RECOGNITION FOR BUSTING HIS BUTT. O.K. THEN I'LL SEE YA WHEN I GET IN." SCULLY HANGS UP THE PHONE AND RETURNS TO THE BATHROOM. HER VOICE CAN BE HEARD SAYING SARCASTICALLY "WASHING MY FEET..."

(NEW SCENE, SKINNER'S OFFICE.) MULDER & SCULLY ARE WALKING IN AS DIRECTOR SKINNER IS ON THE PHONE. HE MOTIONS FOR THE TWO AGENTS TO SIT DOWN AND PUSHES A FILE TOWARD THEM. "YES SIR, I HAVE THE FILE RIGHT HERE, BUT THERE'S MORE HOLES IN IT THEN A PAIR OF OLD GYM SOCKS. YES SIR, I KNOW IT'S CLASSIFIED MATERIAL, BUT MR. FISHER IS PART OF A ON-GOING INVESTIGATION IN A DOUBLE MURDER CASE AND MR. FISHER MAY EITHER BE THE KEY TO WRAPPING IT UP OR EVEN POSSIBLY THE NEXT VICTIM. WE NEED TO KNOW HIS CURRENT WHERE ABOUTS!!!" MULDER REACHES FOR THE FILE AND OPENS IT, HE FLIPS PAGES AND A FRUSTRATED LOOK COMES OVER HIS FACE AS HE HANDS IT TO SCULLY.

THIS MATERIAL HAS BEEN RELEASED FROM THE INTERNAL SECURITY DIVISION OF THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY.

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION HAS BEEN DEEMED AS DE-CLASSIFIED AND IS NOT LISTED AS A THREAT TO THE NATIONAL SECURITY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

PERSONNEL FILE:

SUBJECT: FISHER, BRADLEY L.

SCULLY FLIPS THROUGH THE PAGES. SHE WHISPERS TO MULDER: "ALL I SEE IS A BASIC FILE. DATE OF BIRTH, SCHOOLING, IT SAIDS HE WAS IN THE MILITARY BUT NOT A WORD OF WHAT HE DID OR WHERE HE WAS STATIONED. EVEN THE FILE PHOTO IS ABOUT 25 YEARS OLD. HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HE DID IN THE PHOTO OF THE FISHING TRIP. ISAAC PRESTON'S FILE TOLD US MORE..
A LOT MORE." SKINNER HANGS UP THE PHONE AND RUNS HIS HANDS ACROSS HIS FACE AND SIGHS AS HE POINTS AT THE FILE IN SCULLY'S HANDS. "WELL, LOOK LIKE THAT'S ALL WE'RE GETTING. SEEMS OUR MR. FISHER WAS ULTRA-HIGH PRIORITY WITH THE C.I.A. THEIR NOT RELEASING ANYTHING OF ANY USE TO US OR ANYONE ON HIM." SCULLY CLOSES THE FILE AND PLACES IT BACK ON SKINNER'S DESK "THAT'S NOT SURPRISING, CONSIDERING WHAT JAMES DOUGLASS TOLD US ABOUT FISHER. HAS ANYTHING CHANGED ON FINDING HIM???" "DOUGLASS???" SKINNER ASKS, "NO, NOTHING. SEEMS HE FELL OFF THE EARTH LIKE HIS FRIEND HERE. WE HAD WASHINGTON P.D. ISSUE A A-P-B FOR HIM. BUT CHANCES ARE SLIM TO NONE THAT HE'LL TURN UP." JUST THEN THE PHONE RINGS. SKINNER PICKS IT UP AND ANSWERS IT. "HELLO ??? YES THIS IS DIRECTOR SKINNER.. YES THEIR RIGHT HERE. YOU DID ??? (PAUSE) O.K. I'LL SEND THEM RIGHT OVER." HE HANGS UP. "THAT WAS A CAPTAIN MIKE ROWLANDS, THE POLICE FOUND JAMES DOUGLASS. HE'S IN AN APARTMENT BUILDING IN ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, RIGHT BY DULLES AIRPORT." MULDER STRAIGHTENS UP. "DO THEY HAVE HIM IN CUSTODY???" "THEY DIDN'T NEED TO... (PAUSE)... HE'S DEAD." (CLOSE UP ON THE SHOCKED LOOK ON THE TWO AGENTS FACES.)

(NEW SCENE, A RUN DOWN APARTMENT BUILDING, BEHIND IT IS DULLES AIRPORT. JETS CAN BE SEEN TAKING OFF AND LANDING.) SCULLY AND MULDER PULL UP. THEY SEE 2 FIRE TRUCKS PULLING AWAY AND ABOUT 6 POLICE CARS IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING. THEY ENTER AND SHOW THEIR I.D.S TO A OFFICER AT THE DOOR. HE POINTS TO A PLAIN-CLOTHED DETECTIVE STANDING IN A DIRTY HALLWAY TALKING TO A ELDERLY WOMAN. SHE TURNS AND WALKS BACK INTO HER APARTMENT. HE FLIPS CLOSED HIS NOTEBOOK AND LOOKS UP AS THE AGENTS WALK OVER TO HIM. "LET ME GUESS F.B.I.???" HE ASKS. HE SHAKES THE HANDS OF THE AGENTS AND INTRODUCES HIMSELF AS CAPTAIN MIKE ROWLANDS, METRO-HOMICIDE. "THE LANDLADY SAIDS MR. DOUGLASS OR AS SHE KNEW HIM... (FLIPS THROUGH HIS NOTEBOOK) MARCUS LESLIE, MOVED IN ABOUT A WEEK AGO, PAID A MONTH'S RENT IN ADVANCE. SHE'D SEEN HIM COME AND GO A FEW TIMES OTHER THEN THAT HE PRETTY MUCH STAYED IN HIS ROOM ON THE SECOND FLOOR." "IS THAT WHERE HE WAS FOUND???" MULDER ASKS. "NO, LANDLADY HEARD A COMMOTION IN THE BASEMENT ABOUT A HOUR AGO AND WENT TO INVESTIGATE, WHEN SHE GOT DOWN THERE SHE FOUND THE ROOM FULL OF SMOKE, SO SHE CALLED THE FIRE DEPARTMENT THEY FOUND HIM. COM'ON." HE WALKS DOWN THE HALL, THROUGH A DOORWAY TO THE LEFT AND DOWN A SET OF STAIRS. THE SMELL OF SMOKE IS IN THE AIR. DOWN THERE STANDING AROUND IS ABOUT 5 OFFICERS, AS THEY PARTTO LET THEM THROUGH THE AGENTS SEE A FLOOR MODEL DEEP-FREEZE REFRIGERATOR WITH THE DOOR STANDING OPEN. INSIDE OF IT IS A SOLID BLOCK OF ICE WITH FROST COVERING IT. THE DETECTIVE TAKES HIS COAT SLEEVE AND WIPES THE TOP OF THE BLOCK. MULDER AND SCULLY GASP AS THE BODY OF JAMES DOUGLASS CAN BE SEEN, HIS ARMS AND LEGS ARE TIED AND HIS MOUTH IS GAGGED, BUT HIS EYES ARE WIDE OPEN AND STARING OUT OF THE ICE BLOCK. ABOUT 15 MINUTES LATER, THE AGENTS AND CAPTAIN ROWLANDS ARE SITTING OUTSIDE. THEY SEE MEN OPENING THE BACK OF A TRUCK AND PULLING OUT A PNEUMATIC JACK HAMMER AND TAKING IT INTO THE APARTMENT BUILDING. THE HOSE TRAILING BACK TO A AIR COMPRESSOR IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK. CAPTAIN ROWLANDS WIPES HIS BROW AND SAYS: "I'VE BEEN A COP FOR 35 YEARS. I'VE SEEN SERIAL MURDERERS, GANG-LAND HITS, AND DRUG DEALS GONE BAD. BUT THIS HAS GOT TO BE A FIRST. THE LANDLADY HEARD THE NOISE OF THE FREEZER MOTOR BURNING OUT AND THAT'S WHAT WE GUESS MADE ALL THE SMOKE. AFTER IT WAS CLEARED BY THE FIRE DEPARTMENT, SHE WENT TO SEE IF THE FOOD IN SIDE WAS SPOILED THAT'S WHEN THEY DISCOVERED THE BODY. HIS ROOM WAS UN-LOCKED WHEN WE WENT UP TO CHECK IT." "ANYTHING IN HIS ROOM???" MULDER ASKS. "WE FOUND A SUITCASE FULL OF CLOTHES, AIR-LINE TICKETS FOR A FLIGHT TOMORROW TO VIETNAM, THOSE WERE ALSO UNDER THE NAME MARCUS LESLIE AND WE FOUND A HUGE AMOUNT OF CASH BUT IN DIFFERENT TYPES OF FO
REIGN CURRENCY, (HE CONSULTS HIS NOTEBOOK) DEUTCH-MARKS, ENGLISH-POUNDS, FRENCH FRANCS, JAPANESE YEN AND VARIOUS EUROS. ONLY A COUPLE OF HUNDRED U.S. THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE PAID CASH FOR THE TICKETS & THE ROOM. OTHER THEN THAT WE HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING ELSE, BUT I STILL HAVE MY MEN CHECKING AROUND. NOT TO BE DEFEATIST ABOUT IT, BUT WAITING FOR HIM TO THAW OUT WILL MOST PROBABLY DESTROY ANY EVIDENCE WE'RE GOING TO GET. WE MIGHT NEVER REALLY KNOW: TIME OF DEATH, IF HE DIED OF EXPOSER OR DROWNING. IT WILL BE SLIM IF NONE IF WE GET ANYTHING. SORRY." JUST THEN THE CAPTAIN'S RADIO CRACKLES. HE PICKS IT UP AND SAYS "REPEAT THAT ???", HE HOLDS IT UP TO HIS EAR. "THEY FOUND SOMETHING." HE TURNS AND LEADS THE AGENTS TO BEHIND THE BUILDING AND WALKS OVER TO THE FENCE BETWEEN IT AND A RUNWAY OF THE AIRPORT. IN SOME SHRUBS, A OFFICER STANDS UP AND WAVES. WHEN THEY GET THERE THEY SEE A LAP-TOP COMPUTER THE SCREEN IS TORN FROM THE KEYBOARD. "FROM THE MARKS IN THE DIRT AND ON THE CASE, IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS THROWN.? MULDER TURNS BACK TO THE APARTMENT HOUSE, HE PUTS HIS HAND UP TO SHADE HIS EYES AND POINTS. "FROM THERE MAYBE ???" THE CAPTAIN AND SCULLY TURN AND LOOK. THEY BOTH SEE ON THE TOP FLOOR, THE ATTIC WINDOW FACING THEM IS BROKEN OUT. "COULDN'T HAVE COME FROM THERE. THAT'S A GOOD 500 YARDS AT LEAST !!!" THE CAPTAIN POINTS OUT. "YOU'D NEED A SLING-SHOT TO REACH FROM THERE TO HERE." "MAYBE, BUT LOOK." SCULLY CAREFULLY TURNS OVER THE COMPUTER. "THERE ARE KEYS MISSING FROM THE KEYBOARD. IF WE FIND SOME UP THERE THAT'S WHERE IT CAME FROM."

(NEW SCENE, A ATTIC HINGED DOOR IS LOWERED AND THE STAIRS ARE UNFOLDED. THE TWO AGENTS TURN ON FLASHLIGHTS AND CLIMB THE STAIRS WHEN THEY REACH THE TOP ALL THAT CAN BE SEEN IS A MUSTY ATTIC FILLED WITH OLD CLOTHES, FURNITURE, AND THE WHOLE ROOM IS DARK EXCEPT FOR WHAT SUNLIGHT IS PEERING THROUGH THE GLOOM THROUGH THE BROKEN WINDOW. THE TWO AGENT'S LIGHTS SWING AROUND THROUGH BOXES, SOME MARKED "X-MAS DECORATIONS." FINALLY SCULLY SEES THE BROKEN WINDOW, SHE TURNS TO GET MULDER'S ATTENTION WHEN SOMETHING DROPS FROM THE CEILING AND SHE SCREAMS, SHE FALLS BACK INTO A CLOTHE'S ROD FULL OF DRESSES. MULDER PULLS HIS WEAPON AND RUNS OVER. HE ONLY SEES SCULLY'S FLASHLIGHT LAYING ON THE FLOOR. "SCULLY !!! WHERE ARE YOU ???" HE LOOKS AROUND AND HIS LIGHT COME UPON SCULLY PULLING HERSELF UP FROM THE MESS OF CLOTHES NOW ON THE FLOOR. "WHAT HAPPEN, YOU O.K?" "SOMETHING JUMPED OUT AT ME!!! OVER THERE !!!" SHE POINTS. MULDER SILENTLY WALKS OVER AND SLOWLY REACHES OVER FOR A BOX AND PUSHES IT ASIDE, JUST THEN OUT JUMPS A RAT AND RUNS ACROSS THE FLOOR, MULDER JUMPS UP ON A CHAIR, SCULLY LETS OUT A STIFLED SCREAM AND BACKS AWAY FAST, THE RAT DISAPPEARS BEHIND A OLD DRESSER. CAPTAIN ROWLANDS COMES RUNNING UP THE STAIR HIS WEAPON DRAWN AND YELLS. "YOU TWO ALRIGHT ???" MULDER GETS A EMBARRASSED LOOK ON HIS FACE AND COME DOWN OFF THE CHAIR. "YEAH WE'RE FINE; WE JUST GOT SPOOKED BY ONE OF THE TENANTS OF THIS "FINE" ESTABLISHMENT, THAT'S ALL." CAPTAIN ROWLANDS LETS OUT A LIGHT LAUGH AS HE SHOULDERS HIS GUN. "AGENT, I'VE SEEN RATS BIG ENOUGH THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE JOCKEYS !!!" HE LAUGHS AS HE WALKS UP TO MULDER. "NO SURPRISE, THEIR UP HERE, THE LANDLADY HAS ABOUT 5 CATS THAT ROAM THE HALLS IN THE REST OF THE BUILDING." SCULLY BRUSHES HERSELF OFF THEN STRAIGHTENS UP "CATS??? I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY CATS???" "THEIR ALL IN HER APARTMENT RIGHT NOW. SHE CAN'T SEEM TO GET THEM TO COME OUT, SAID THEY ALL CAME RUNNING IN JUST ABOUT 9:00P.M. LAST NIGHT AND WON'T COME OUT FROM UNDER HER BED, THEY EVEN HISS AND SPIT AT HER. SAID SOMETHING MUST HAVE SCARED THE HELL OUT OF THEM." ROWLANDS SAIDS. MULDER WALKS OVER TO THE BROKEN WINDOW AND LOOKS OUT. HE LOOKS DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND SAYS: "NO BROKEN GLASS AND BY THE BROKEN
WOOD ON THE TRIM THIS WAS BUSTED OUT-WARD. NO KEYS." HE CROUCHES DOWN AND TURNS HIS FLASHLIGHT ON AND SHINES IT ON THE FLOOR. HE SEES MARKS IN THE DUST AND BITS OF SOMETHING. "SCULLY, WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS???" SCULLY COMES OVER AND BENDS DOWN, "LOOKS LIKE DROPPINGS FROM OUR "FRIEND". AND THE TRACKS GO OVER HERE." SHE WALKS OVER TO THE BOXES MARKED "X-MAS DECORATIONS." MULDER PUTS HIS HAND ON THE CHAIR AND SAIDS "WANT ME TO COVER YOU SCULLY???" SHE GIVES HIM A SARCASTIC GLARE AND THEN LOOKS AROUND AND GETS A BROOM HANDLE AND MOVES A COUPLE OF THEM. SHE THEN SHINES HER FLASHLIGHT AND SAIDS "LOOK AT THIS." MULDER AND ROWLANDS COME OVER AND PEER AT WHERE HER LIGHT IS SHINING. THERE THEY BOTH SEE AN EMPTY RAT'S NEST AND IN THE MESS, PIECES OF TORN CLOTHES, BITS OF STRING AND TUFFS OF FUR THEY SEE ABOUT 5 PLASTIC BUTTONS WITH LETTERS ON THEM. "KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR OUR "FRIEND"." SCULLY SAIDS AS SHE PUTS ON RUBBER GLOVES AND RETRIEVES A PLASTIC ?EVIDENCE? BAG. SHE CAREFULLY PICKS UP THE KEYS AND DEPOSITS THEM IN THE BAG. WHEN SHE IS DONE AND HANDS THE BAG BACK TO ROWLANDS. MULDER SEES AN OLD BASEBALL AND PICKS IT UP, WIPING OFF THE DUST AND SPIDER WEBS. HE STARTS TO WHISTLE ?TAKE ME OUT TO THE OLE? BALL GAME.? WALKS UP TO THE WINDOW AND PEERS OUT, HE ASKS: "YOU SAID IT HAD TO BE ABOUT, WHAT??? 500 YARDS? TIMES 3? 1500 FEET TO WHERE THE LAPTOP WAS FOUND???" "YEAH." ROWLANDS ANSWERS, "GIVE OR TAKE. WHY???" MULDER WALKS BACK OVER AND STANDS LOOKING AT THE WINDOW. HE THEN TAKES A PITCHER'S STANCE. (BASEBALL ORGAN MUSIC CAN BE HEARD.) HE LOOKS BACK AT SCULLY THEM FORWARD AGAIN. HE THEN WINDS UP AND THROWS THE BALL AT THE BROKEN WINDOW. IT HITS A CORNER OF BROKEN GLASS AND SAILS THROUGH THE WINDOW. HE THEN TURNS AND WALKS PAST SCULLY AND ROWLANDS AND PROCEEDS DOWN THE STAIRS.

(NEW SCENE, BACK OUTSIDE.) THE AGENTS AND CAPTAIN WALK OUT AND LOOK FOR THE BASEBALL. THEY GET ABOUT 60 FEET FROM THE HOUSE AND FIND IT. MULDER LOOKS AT WHERE IT LAYS, THEN BACK TO THE HOUSE AND TO WHERE A FLAG IS POSTED TO TELL WHERE THE LAP TOP WAS SITTING. "I THREW THAT AS HARD AS I CAN. NOW A LAPTOP WEIGHTS WHAT ??? ABOUT 15-20 POUNDS ??? TO THROW THAT OUT THE WINDOW, AND THAT FAR.... I SAY WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE... WHO COULD BE THE NEXT ALL TIME M.V.P. FOR THE BASEBALL HALL OF FAME." ROWLANDS SHAKES HIS HEAD. "WELL I'VE BEEN TOLD YOU HAVE JURISDICTION, YOU WANT US TO HANDLE THE INVESTIGATION OR WILL THE BUREAU ???" SCULLY ANSWERS: "WELL, YOU HANDLE THE AUTOPSY AND THE MURDER INVESTIGATION, WE NEED TO TAKE THE LAP TOP IN FOR ANALYSIS, JUST IN CASE IT HAS SENSITIVE FEDERAL INFORMATION IN IT'S HARD DRIVE. WE'LL INFORM YOU IF ANY FINGER PRINTS TURN UP. I THINK WE NEED TO SEE THE ROOM DOUGLASS WAS STAYING IN."

(NEW SCENE.) A SHABBY ONE ROOM WITH ADJOINING BATHROOM. A SUITCASE CAN BE SEEN OPEN AND UPTURNED ON THE FLOOR. ALL THE CLOTHES ARE RIPPED AND SCATTERED ALL OVER THE ROOM. DRAWERS OPEN. THE MATTRESS IS TORN AND THE PILLOWS SLASHED. THE AGENTS ENTER AND CAREFULLY WALK INTO THE ROOM. ROWLANDS: "WE'LL BAG UP EVERYTHING AND DUST FOR PRINTS, BUT THAT MAY BE FUTILE. PLACE LIKE THIS, ONCE IT'S KNOWN THE OCCUPANT IS DECEASED, THE LANDLADY AND EVERY TRANSIENT TENANT PROBABLY WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING LOOKING FOR TO SELL." "WAS THERE A PHONE IN THE ROOMS, CAPTAIN???" MULDER ASKS. "ACCORDING TO THE LANDLADY, THERE'S ONLY THE PAY-PHONE IN THE HALLWAY. BUT WE DID FIND THIS...." HE WALKS TO A LEANING TABLE AND POINTS HIS FLASHLIGHT UNDER IT. THE TWO AGENTS SEE A CELL-PHONE UNDER IT. SCULLY SAIDS: "WE'LL CHECK IT FOR PRINTS; I'LL HAVE SOMEONE CHECK WITH PHONE COMPANY FOR THE CALL LOG. WE'LL SEND EVERYTHING TO YOU THAT WE GET." "MULDER WALKS OVER TO THE TABLE AND SETS IT UPRIGHT AND AWAY FROM THE WALL, HE PICKS UP THE PHONE AND PUTS IT IN A PLASTIC BAG. AS HE TURNS HE KICKS SOMETHING WITH HIS FOOT, A CORD STICKING
OUT FROM UNDER THE BED. HE GETS DOWN ON HIS KNEES AND LOOKS UNDER THE BED AND SEE A LENGTH OF CORD. IT'S A TYPE OF PHONE CORD, BUT IT HAS TWO MALE ENDS ON IT, ONE TO CONNECT TO A JACK BUT WHAT TO CONNECT THE OTHER TOO??? HE LOOKS BACK AT THE PHONE, IT HAS A HOOK-UP FOR THE CORD TO ATTACH TO IT. HE HOLDS IT UP AND ASKS SCULLY "COULD THIS BE HOOKED UP TO THE LAPTOP?S MODEM ???" SCULLY NODS HER HEAD "YES." THEY THEN LEAVE THE ROOM AND GO DOWN STAIRS TO THE HALLWAY MULDER AND SCULLY LOOK DOWN AND SEE AIR HOSES LEADING FROM OUTSIDE DOWN THE HALL AND THROUGH THE DOORWAY TO THE BASEMENT, AS THEY GO THROUGH THE OUTSIDE DOORWAY THE MUFFLED SOUND OF A JACKHAMMER CAN START TO BE HEARD.

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
Thats all I got so far.

Rory

Rory

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:bmx, music, chatting
Ahhh! its a script! Ahh!..
:ph34r:
very good jacque, you are a very talented writer.
B)

theonlyonetosurvive

theonlyonetosurvive

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:poking dead things with sticks and writing my thoughts... u?<br>
wow even though its a script its still wicked good i think u have a real tallent for this not like u didnt know that already with all of the other ppl that must say it to but i thought u shud here it again this isnt much coming from a 14yr old i know but its amazing how u can touch ppl with your writing keep it up

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Demonology. cooking, photography, &quot;Dark Shadows&quot;. music.
Hey age has nothing to do with it, all opinions are greatly apreciated. Good or bad. Now if I can only finish that I'd feel I accomplished something.

theonlyonetosurvive

theonlyonetosurvive

Horton Hatches The Egg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:poking dead things with sticks and writing my thoughts... u?<br>
you have accomplished something u sound like u think uve done nothing but your poems and writings alone as long as u can touch one person uve done something amasing and uve touched me and i think i can speak for many others by saying the same u have accomplished alot and i hope to read more and more your kind of writings are addicting i cant wait for more.... :P

RedR0se

RedR0se

Daisy-Head Maizie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Interests:Dancing, Music.... Love.. :)
love ya D. :)

Jacque_Le_Ripper

Jacque_Le_Ripper

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Demonology. cooking, photography, &quot;Dark Shadows&quot;. music.
Wrote this as the origin for another nick I use for rp-ing in another chat room. Enjoy.

~Salem~
Salutations and greetings.
First, let us set up an understanding as to myself. You may perceive me as a member of the species: “domesticus felinus� or “house cat�, but I am far from that. The correct terminology is “familiar�. Appearances are mostly quite deceiving. For the form I reside in now is but the one provided by she who has summoned my very essence. Her wishes were the mold that the hellish crafters of the pit used to sculpt and form me, using the dark matter left over from the consumed souls of those whose mortal crimes they are now being punished for all eternity. And after my.. Birth, I was infused into a lifeless form of a cat she had procured for the ritual. After a obscene number of newborns where sacrificed, I was grated a “awakening� to serve my mistress till she casts me back into the hell fire that spawned me. But enough with the riddles. My conscience first came to being as I opened my golden eyes and laid them on her unholy beauty. My mistress “AshKaDan�.

For even though I was then newly born, my mind holds memories of a time long since before mankind’s ancestors had crawled out of the briny seas on four stumps, that same mind has a third eye for events not to unravel for many millennium to come. But you may be wondering how an ancient one of the sanguine persuasion aka: “Vampire/Noferatu/Undead� may possess one such as myself, doesn’t a familiar only reside with those of a spell casting nature ? Well yes and no. True most wizards-witches-sorcerers-magicians-conjurers, (which ever terminology you prefer to use) do use familiars, its services are not strictly theirs alone. Any being who is brave… or fool hearty enough to try the “summoning� and is not consumed and destroyed by it will be granted a creature such as I. And its form varies from what the summonner uses or can find as the… physical anchor. I am the most common form (though there is nothing common about me.), but a familiar can be any animal form (Rats, owls, lizards, bats... etc.). I truly believe my mistress choose this form for both its outer docile appearance and it’s inner hidden ferociousness. Thus, almost a copy of herself. But enough philosophy. Here is my history of being for now. It was the year of our lord Lucifer 1583 a.d. A lot had happen this century. Di Vinci painted the “Mona Lisa� and Michelangelo sculpted “David� in 1504, in 5 years Henry VIII ascended the throne of England and began chopping off heads. His daughter Elizabeth ruled 49 years later. Martin Luther did some “hammering� on a church’s door and stirred up a hornets nest and in 1547 Ivan the terrible became Tsar of Russia and had some diabolical fun.

But the time I’m telling my tale is 1583.
80 years had pasted since my mistress had first received the “dark gift�. By this time she had... “produced� many who were now her children. But as is always the case, one by one they left her alone. Wither it was by their own choosing or made for them by a mortal yielding a sharpened piece of wood in the daylight. But alone she was and nearing madness from the solitude. Till the day in her wanderings she happened upon a long abandoned monastery in a region of Cantabria in northern Spain. This place was one of those burned 500 years earlier by the Moors in their war with the Spaniard “El Cid�, it had never been reclaimed and was forgotten…. or was it feared ? For only in some ancient corner of the Vatican this place was well known as a depository, a library for collection and eventual destruction of books, scrolls and manuscript containing knowledge of forbidden legend and lore dating back to before the pyramids were first suggested. It was here that desiring peace and solitude, my mistress was looking for a suitable resting place stumbled upon a hidden hallway connecting hundreds of rooms. All full of paper, clay tablets and stone carvings. Nights after she fed, AshKa spend hours pouring through the piles discarding those that were crumbling or too faded for even her “enhanced� vision to make out. She poured through “The book of the Vishanti�, “The Apothecial book of Tobit�, “The Necronomicon�, “The book of Sin and Shadows.�, “Tobin’s spirit guide� and “The Grand Grimoire�. Till a month later she found a page from a dammed text called “The Darhold�.
A tome that first became known in the hallowed hall of pre-sunken Atlantis and was blamed as the cause for its destruction. Here she discovered the ritual to create a companion that would serve her, would be totally loyal and would never leave her side come what may. Relentlessly AshKa began to prepare for the right time to start. For according to the page only one night every 50 years was the barriers to hell at its weakest; December 24th. A time when good will and love flowed from mortals celebrating the birth of their man god. So strong is this aura that Lucifer himself goes as deep as he can into the bowels of Hell and slumbers. At that time his borders weaken and it is much less difficult and much more dangerous to unleash the demonic powers needed. But the hidden advantage is one doesn’t become indebted to the Devil for the use of it. The old adage “The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.� Fits this time. Having 6 months, she practiced the incantation and was slowly assembling the parts needed for it. She searched the nearby country side and found in a number of farm houses either newborns or women who would have given birth by then. There at the monastery she had seen a black cat that used the place as a hunting ground for field mice and rats. Capturing and caging it, she waited till the night before the appointed date. It is unknown why but even now the local people of the present tell of a night on that date 5oo years that a number of whole families were wiped out, their houses burned to the ground. The remains of 46 broken bodies were found in the ashes, but missing where the charred bones of all the infants… and one new young mother.

The local authorities assumed a group of roaming bandits were responsible, little did they realize those missing were being held, locked in a room just a few miles away. 7 screaming babies and the terrified new mother to care for them till sundown. As the sunset, the woman heard furniture being moved and tossed around. Then as silence fell an unearthly high pitched yowl echoed down the hall. Finally the door was unlocked and AshKa entered, a look of excitement on her face, her eyes sparkling as a bride who was about to walk down an aisle to her beloved. She ordered the woman to take as many of the children in her arms and to go out into the hall, once out there she spied a room at the end of the long hall…. the chapel. At the site of this room the woman’s heart started beating faster for could a creature as this be able to enter such a room? Would this be the woman’s sanctuary from the evil that burst in her home last night mercilessly killing all her family before snatching her kicking and screaming into the snow and darkness? She knew she couldn’t save all the children but she could the ones she held so looking back and seeing my mistress picking up the remaining children, the woman turned and sprinted down the passageway. Bursting into the room, slamming the door shut with her body and bolting it. She was about to breath a sigh of relief when her breath caught in her lungs and her blood went cold. The room was consecrated… but not by anything holy. For on the alter has a freshly killed cat, its head at an unnatural angle for its back was broken. Blood pouring out of its mouth down the sides of the once holy table. Above it on the walls and floor were arcane symbols in a language long since forgotten. The woman on the fringe of madness slid down the wall in utter terror not noticing the door flying off its hinges, kicked in by AshKa. Laying the children she and the woman had on a nearby pile of hay, my mistress who hadn’t fed yet and needing her strength AshKa grabbed the almost comatose young woman and buried her teeth in her throat draining her dry. Then tossing the now lifeless form out of the room she moved over to the alter. Next to the slain animal were various knives with a different lit candle next to each of them from the farm houses she visited. Getting on her knees with the page lying on the feline’s body AshKa started to recite the blasphemous words holding a knife in the candle flame. At the end of each paragraph she would reach for a screaming kicking infant slitting its throat holding it over the alter so the blood could pour down drenching the page and the cat. One after one she repeated this. Till after the 6th child was killed and drained a rumbling could be heard outside. Lightning flashed in the sky from clouds that naturally would have only been snowing. And the body of the cat began to glow lighting up the room in a eerie shade of deepest green, sounds of bones crunching could be heard. Then a mighty clap of thunder struck forcing AshKa to her cover her ears and eyes, a few seconds passed and as she opened her eyes she beheld that the glow was gone! Had she failed? Then she saw it…. a single twitch of the cat’s tail, then another. Finally she saw the cat drowsily raise its head as if awakening from a long deep sleep and open its eyes. White orbs were where dark eyes had been. Slowly I sat up looking around and stretched. AshKa smiling reached behind her and laid the last child on the alter in front of me; I started to move toward it for I was starving. As I almost got to it AshKa pulled it back and said “HOLD!!! I know your not complete. You need a innocent’s soul to bind you to your new body. You belong to me now!!! You will obey my every command, my every wish and my every dream. Till I decide to release you back to your dark realm. Even Hell knows and honors a promise. Pledge your life and loyalty to me or perish back to the pits from a slow agonizing death from starvation!!!�

True a vow from Hell is absolute and even though Satan tries to leave a loop hole to take advantage of I cannot for I am a familiar and haven’t the inclination or self will for betrayal. The words came out like a gentle whisper from lips not meant to speak as a human:
“I……… so……… swear.�
At this AshKa laid the screaming child down on the alter in front of me and I buried my fangs into the heaving chest. A golden glow issued out and shined from the corner of my open mouth as I sucked the child’ soul from it’s body thus sealing myself to this form and anchoring it to this plane. Then as I pulled back AshKa looked at the now still form for it no longer resembled a mass of pink warm wigging flesh but a dried brittle taunt skin over a small skeleton. It looked as if it had been there for years. I then sat up and looked at my mistress; instead of all white eyes AshKa now saw golden cat’s eyes, the same color as the light from the baby’s chest. “The ritual is not complete AshKaDan. We must be bound as one. Place your hand on my head.� As she slowly reached her hand out I quickly, furiously sank my teeth in her fingers. She pulled back in shock and surprise as the blood ran from her wounds. “I beg forgive my “now� mistress. That was necessary to bind us forever, it will be the one and only falsehood or pain I will ever cause you.� With then as I do even to this day I climbed up on her shoulders, laying across them. Purring as I rubbed my face into her cheek. My silky tail, which is never the same length wrapped around her throat gently and with a hint of a lover the tip of that tail always dangles down to gently stroke her breast.

By now out the window the sky had cleared and was turning a dull pink as dawn approached. AshKa walked out of the room to one she had set up in the sub basement where she slept. Sitting in a huge chair by a burning fire she relaxed scratching my ears as I purred. “Well now, we need to give you a name. What do you suggest???� Thinking I asked. “What is the name of this place my beloved mistress for it was here that the means was found for us to be brought together???� Looking around AshKa answered “I read it was called “The abbey of Saint Le’mond.� I was quiet for a few minutes still thinking then I said: “How about a abbreviation of the name “Sa’ Lemond, or Salem???� AshKa, her eyes lighting up said “Then so be it, from this day forward you shall be my dearest darling “Salem�. Come now, for dawn has arrived and I am tired. Let us lie down and sleep.� “Aye mistress I will. But only till you start to slumber. For I do not need sleep and will begin my first duty as your familiar. I will patrol the grounds and guard your resting area with all the powers at my command. I will lay in your arms when you nod off and I will be there when you awaken. Rest easy my Mistress, my AshKaDan from this day forth you will have a force from hell looking over and guarding you forever.� With that she moved to a antique four post canopy bed she had set up there when she first came and she disrobed and put on a satin gown as I laid on the bed watching her. Even though I was now a feline I admit wishing I was a man for I longed to take her in my arms and make love to her. Finally she came over and slipping under the sheets pulled me up on her chest, stroking my body as she slowly drifted off. As promised I softly slid off her and began my servitude to my new mistress. But I had one task that needed done for it was the payment that she had avoided. I returned to the chapel library and tipping over the candles set it afire. For it was both as a punishment to cheating the devil his due and protecting her. For in one of those tomes was a dreaded spell known as “The Montesi Formula�. A incantation that could wipe clean the world of all vampires, including my AshKa. The Prince of Evil didn’t want that found and used to remove his touch of evil from the Earth, but he also wanted my mistress to lose a potential prize of becoming even more powerful with the help of the library. I casually laid in front of the door as the fire raged on the other side burning up all in it including the bodies. Easily using my powers to keep the flames confined to that room and later told my mistress that it started by us leaving the candles burning when we left the room. Not a lie. For does not Satan use the truth when he speaks to us???

As a guardian I am the perfect choice. I can enter any room invited or not. Nothing can block me. Like the very air I can penetrate any barrier. My senses are hundreds of time more sensitive then even my mistress’. For I can sense a human many leagues away and how many there are. I do admit I have developed a unusual habit of actually hunting mice but that is just for the sport of inspiring terror and a nasty slow death. A trait AshKa sometimes lets me use on mortals. For at first they only see a cat they soon learn as I stated earlier “Things are not as they seem.� and their shredded corpses are the end result. Many times I have aided my mistress in battles with others of her kind and at times we are separated not by choice but by forces that briefly had the upper hand. But always, wither it takes days or years she will be walking down a street and hear a purr only to look up and see me laying on a wall smiling at her or waking to find I am in her arms as if we were never separated. So it has been since 1583a.d. as now 2003a.d.

For I am hers…. now and forever.
A familiar, a servant, a lover, a guardian.
I am Salem and I am perpetual.

blackbambi

blackbambi

Yertle The Turtle

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, communications, political science
ok, i didn't read your looooooooong script and stuff but i love your poetry. I think you need to publish some of it. it's so beautiful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users